2019 NBA Finals Thread, Part 3: Golden State Warriors vs Toronto Raptors | SERIES TIED AT 1

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Who's getting those rings?

Warriors in 5
9%
Warriors in 6
14%
Warriors in 7
6%
Raps in 4
18%
Raps in 5
20%
Raps in 6
16%
Raps in 7
19%

Total votes: 200

FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,955

Re: 2019 NBA Finals Thread, Part 3: Golden State Warriors vs Toronto Raptors | RAPS LEAD 1-0 

Post#121 » by FlatearthZorro » Fri May 31, 2019 8:10 pm

Son Goku 25 wrote:
GusT15 wrote:
Read on Twitter

:lol: Warriors, Spurs, Bucks, Lakers, Clippers, Celtics, Sixers fans all jump for joy

I think most people are rooting for the Raptors(Celtics' fans)...

I have no feelings either way. I enjoy GSW's b-ball more, but I'm not concerned with who will win, cause we aren't in it.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,205

Re: 2019 NBA Finals Thread, Part 3: Golden State Warriors vs Toronto Raptors | RAPS LEAD 1-0 

Post#122 » by soxfan2003 » Fri May 31, 2019 8:25 pm

mademan wrote:
soxfan2003 wrote:
ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:
I would expect the offer to be there, but I think with him in office, most teams are declining. Miss you, Barack :(

Why would a US President offer a White House visit to a Canadian team from Toronto? Frankly, I think only Donald Trump may do it and only because Warriors insulted him. But he would only do it I suspect if Canada wouldn't be offended -- they should be if a visit with Trudeau didn't come first at least.... -- and if the players would be okay with it -- they probably aren't.

I mean if a US hockey team in full of Canadian players, the Canadian government doesn't offer them formal visits or do they? (I could see the towns where some of the star players live honoring them but that is different) I realize a Canadian team hasn't one the Stanley Cup since around 1993 but I still see that as disrespectful.

NBA is still an american organization, and the Raps still have a majorly american team. Besides Marc, Serge, Siakim, Boucher, i think the rest of the team were all born in the US.

NBA is a North American organization and it became that when it added the Grizzlies and Raptors. It also tries to sell its product worldwide. Check out how much money the NBA makes outside of the USA and even outside of Canada. And most importantly, it is still the Toronto[ Raptors and Toronto is a part of Canada.

I may be proven wrong but I see a visit with Trudeau if Raptors win. Seems like an absolute no brainer for him to offer it up and I think Trump is often unfairly bashed by the largely liberal media in the USA but if Trump offers a White House visit to a team playing in Canada, I think the media criticizing him on that one would be spot on.

If the Boston Bruins were 100% Canadians or 100% Non United States citizens and if they won the cup, I would still expect a White House invite. I just don't think makeup of the team when you are inviting entire team has much to do with it.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,173

Post#123 » by Duke4life831 » Fri May 31, 2019 8:29 pm

So this is going to be the first finals that there is 2 days between every single game in the series. GS is going to be close to playing 1 game in a 2 week span (13 days and playing 1 game). I get they want to drag this out, but damn this is feeling pretty excessive. We wait 5 days for any NBA game, now wait another 3 days for the next game. I feel like the playoffs are this crawl now.
Porz
Junior
And1: 276

Post#124 » by Porz » Fri May 31, 2019 8:43 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:So this is going to be the first finals that there is 2 days between every single game in the series. GS is going to be close to playing 1 game in a 2 week span (13 days and playing 1 game). I get they want to drag this out, but damn this is feeling pretty excessive. We wait 5 days for any NBA game, now wait another 3 days for the next game. I feel like the playoffs are this crawl now.

I feel you but coming from a GSW fan it seems kind of weird. Every extra day helps them to get back main guys earlier in the series.
Luka Doncic life matters too. No to racism!
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,242

Post#125 » by niQ » Fri May 31, 2019 8:43 pm

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,173

Post#126 » by Duke4life831 » Fri May 31, 2019 8:53 pm

Porz wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:So this is going to be the first finals that there is 2 days between every single game in the series. GS is going to be close to playing 1 game in a 2 week span (13 days and playing 1 game). I get they want to drag this out, but damn this is feeling pretty excessive. We wait 5 days for any NBA game, now wait another 3 days for the next game. I feel like the playoffs are this crawl now.

I feel you but coming from a GSW fan it seems kind of weird. Every extra day helps them to get back main guys earlier in the series.

I get that part. Im just speaking as a basketball fan in general though. As a fan Im like finally this 5 day break is over, then game 1 ends and back to a 3 day break. I feel like they could easily cut a week off in the playoffs. It just seems to kill all momentum and I get to the point where I forget the game is on until like a hour before it starts.
BayArea408415
Analyst
And1: 2,562

Post#127 » by BayArea408415 » Fri May 31, 2019 9:32 pm

Son Goku 25 wrote:What I find hilarious is how everyone is saying how Warriors need KD to win lol the most stacked team ever needs another MVP to win and stop Siakam? That's quite a bit of respect for the trash Raptors.

This current roster without KD is not the 73-9 team from 2016. For some reason, some people seem to think a trio of Curry/Klay/Green went 73-9 with a bunch of scrubs (which is their current situation). The team in its current state is not the commonly coined "most stacked team ever."

It's missing the following: 2 year younger versions of Livingston and Iguodala, Bogut that could play 15-20 mins (set screens, pass and rebound effectively), Harrison Barnes (starter who had 3+D and can play small-ball 4), Barbosa, Ezeli, Speights, etc. That team had rim protection and guys who could contribute 15-20 points quite often outside of Curry/Klay. It also had a variation of Green who could hit the 3 near league average (he is currently at 20%). Guys like Cook, Jerebko, Bell, etc. should't be playing 7-11 minutes in the Finals but they are. Nor should Looney be getting starter minutes but he has to with Durant out and Cousins not in game shape/returning from quad tear.

Adding Durant meant the Warriors became extremely top-heavy and gave up that "strength in numbers" depth. So with him injured, Warriors are effectively down a key starter (if we assume they had Barnes or someone at a similar level otherwise) and lose additional depth on top of it (due to signing Durant instead of someone cheaper like Barnes or comparable player).

Cousins ate up the MLE as well, which would have gone to a solid bench/role player otherwise. With him just returning from injury and not being in game shape, the Warriors roster is heavily depleted. It was enough to get past a Blazers team without Nurkic but the Raptors are an elite defensive team with a top 5 player in Kawhi. Some people haven't given the Raptors the respect they deserve as a contender (especially some fans of rival teams) but otherwise I feel it's exaggerated due to forum demographics.

The Warriors can win this series without Durant but it will be incredibly difficult.
Lost Angel
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,462

Post#128 » by Lost Angel » Fri May 31, 2019 10:19 pm

how funny would it be if “Raps in 4” actually happened
hoop_head
RealGM
And1: 2,235

Post#129 » by hoop_head » Fri May 31, 2019 10:28 pm

Lost Angel wrote:how funny would it be if “Raps in 4” actually happened

We would basically give Kawhi Canada in short order, and there would be a throne involved.
RaptorHooter
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,184

Post#130 » by RaptorHooter » Fri May 31, 2019 10:32 pm

mademan wrote:
soxfan2003 wrote:
ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:
I would expect the offer to be there, but I think with him in office, most teams are declining. Miss you, Barack :(

Why would a US President offer a White House visit to a Canadian team from Toronto? Frankly, I think only Donald Trump may do it and only because Warriors insulted him. But he would only do it I suspect if Canada wouldn't be offended -- they should be if a visit with Trudeau didn't come first at least.... -- and if the players would be okay with it -- they probably aren't.

I mean if a US hockey team in full of Canadian players, the Canadian government doesn't offer them formal visits or do they? (I could see the towns where some of the star players live honoring them but that is different) I realize a Canadian team hasn't one the Stanley Cup since around 1993 but I still see that as disrespectful.

NBA is still an american organization, and the Raps still have a majorly american team. Besides Marc, Serge, Siakim, Boucher, i think the rest of the team were all born in the US.

OG is from England.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,242

Post#131 » by niQ » Fri May 31, 2019 10:32 pm

Young Stapler
General Manager
And1: 5,966

Post#132 » by Young Stapler » Fri May 31, 2019 10:36 pm

*SIGH* no game until Sunday night :( :(
BayArea408415
Analyst
And1: 2,562

Post#133 » by BayArea408415 » Fri May 31, 2019 10:36 pm

Haha and people were suggesting Drake was in Green's head. It's all fun between them.
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,421

Post#135 » by NapoleonII » Fri May 31, 2019 11:31 pm

niQ wrote:

It's fun to be challenged?

Lol, as if this needed to be said in professional sports.

But it does if you're the Warriors because you have always had the cheat code with KD.
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,126

Post#136 » by everdiso » Sat Jun 1, 2019 12:12 am

packforfreedom wrote:rewatched the game. GS decided to give Gasol, Green and Siakram all the open threes to load on Leonard. Bold strategy by Kerr, all three had strechtes in the playoffs where they missed everything. not tonight. .

hey, it worked on Harden and Lillard.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
everdiso
General Manager

Post#137 » by everdiso » Sat Jun 1, 2019 12:18 am

Man these talking heads today....

Stephen A. and Tmac both had, as their NUMBER ONE ADJUSTMENT FOR THE WARRIORS....

NUMBER ONE....

....play more....

ALFONZO MCKINNIE.

that's right.

more Alfonzo McKinnie.

that is their #1 adjustment for the Warriors Dynasty in the NBA FInals. Their BEST idea at how to make the warriors look better in game 2.

Alfonzo McKinnie.

and these are the two most pro-GSW commentators out there.

That would scare me if I were a warriors fan.
everdiso
General Manager

Post#138 » by everdiso » Sat Jun 1, 2019 12:24 am

KnickFan33 wrote:Underappreciated strat was how the Raptors made Curry pay for his pre-switching. Should be interesting to see whether or not Kerr can figure out a counter to that.

what was the stat?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,315

Post#139 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 1, 2019 12:28 am

BayArea408415 wrote:
Son Goku 25 wrote:What I find hilarious is how everyone is saying how Warriors need KD to win lol the most stacked team ever needs another MVP to win and stop Siakam? That's quite a bit of respect for the trash Raptors.

This current roster without KD is not the 73-9 team from 2016. For some reason, some people seem to think a trio of Curry/Klay/Green went 73-9 with a bunch of scrubs (which is their current situation). The team in its current state is not the commonly coined "most stacked team ever."

It's missing the following: 2 year younger versions of Livingston and Iguodala, Bogut that could play 15-20 mins (set screens, pass and rebound effectively), Harrison Barnes (starter who had 3+D and can play small-ball 4), Barbosa, Ezeli, Speights, etc. That team had rim protection and guys who could contribute 15-20 points quite often outside of Curry/Klay. It also had a variation of Green who could hit the 3 near league average (he is currently at 20%). Guys like Cook, Jerebko, Bell, etc. should't be playing 7-11 minutes in the Finals but they are. Nor should Looney be getting starter minutes but he has to with Durant out and Cousins not in game shape/returning from quad tear.

Adding Durant meant the Warriors became extremely top-heavy and gave up that "strength in numbers" depth. So with him injured, Warriors are effectively down a key starter (if we assume they had Barnes or someone at a similar level otherwise) and lose additional depth on top of it (due to signing Durant instead of someone cheaper like Barnes or comparable player).

Cousins ate up the MLE as well, which would have gone to a solid bench/role player otherwise. With him just returning from injury and not being in game shape, the Warriors roster is heavily depleted. It was enough to get past a Blazers team without Nurkic but the Raptors are an elite defensive team with a top 5 player in Kawhi. Some people haven't given the Raptors the respect they deserve as a contender (especially some fans of rival teams) but otherwise I feel it's exaggerated due to forum demographics.

Warriors can win this series without Durant but it will be incredibly difficult.

its absolutely dumbfounding to me how people cant think beyond the idea that this is no longer the same team that won 73 games...its like they've told that narrative to themselves so many times they are no longer able to come off it.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,315

Post#140 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 1, 2019 12:29 am

everdiso wrote:Man these talking heads today....

Stephen A. and Tmac both had, as their NUMBER ONE ADJUSTMENT FOR THE WARRIORS....

NUMBER ONE....

....play more....

ALFONZO MCKINNIE.

that's right.

more Alfonzo McKinnie.

that is their #1 adjustment for the Warriors Dynasty in the NBA FInals. Their BEST idea at how to make the warriors look better in game 2.

Alfonzo McKinnie.

and these are the two most pro-GSW commentators out there.

That would scare me if I were a warriors fan.

your problem Is that your listening to Steven A and Tmac for basketball analysis

Return to The General Board