Where do the Celtics go from here?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Re: Where do the Celtics go from here? 

Post#121 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:37 am

HoopsterJones wrote:Be patient and punt next season. They will not be able to acquire a difference maker in this offseason that will make them a contender anyways.

Honestly they need to consider their long term future and see if Tatum and Brown develop into stars.

Consider consolidating their 14, 20, 22 pick to move up if there is a player in their draft they feel can be a difference maker at a draft slot that can be obtained (maybe 10 with the Hawks, I don’t know if it’s enough for them to trade 8). Another option is trading down for more picks, some that may be in next year’s draft. Otherwise keep their picks and draft BPA with high upsides and hope for the best.

Horford and Hayward will not be around long term, and I don’t expect that either of them will net a asset of any worth in a trade given their salary, age, and in Hayward’s case his inconsistent play. Let their salary expire or hope they opt out (Horford might, Hayward would be stupid if he did).

Re-sign Rozier only if he is willing to accept a value contract. I personally would not go above $10m per year. If he signs an offer sheet that is palatable then match it.

Keep cap flexibility and fill in the rest of the roster as needed.

This is the problem with Ainge and his delusion. He thinks that he is the next Red who can find diamonds in the rough with his eyes closed. The problem is that he absolutely sucks at drafting prospect. It wouldn't surprise me if all three picked players end up cut or out of the league in 2-3 years.
Big_Aristotle
Senior
And1: 262

Post#122 » by Big_Aristotle » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:00 am

If you look at the last few years, GM's have usually being rewarded for taking big bets to trade for all-stars. PG, Kawhi, Butler, Harris: all of them were 1-year rentals when traded and they delivered. Harris and Butler finished 4 bounces from a potential championship, Kawhi won first one with Toronto and PG resigned.

Ainge never wanted to take that gamble, afraid to lose but he lost by doing nothing. If everyone around you is taking big bets and going all-in, you probably won't make it playing on the safe side;
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,836

Post#123 » by GrandTheftRondo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:36 am

Ah you’ve got to love RealGM. So many after the fact experts.

Jimmy Butler won the Sixers diddly squat and if they did win it was going to be because of Embiid’s superstar impact.

PG won the Thunder nothing either.

Kawhi is the only one I’ll admit was probably a mistake assuming that the Spurs actually we’re willing to trade him for some of our assets. But I’ve read varying reports there.

As for Davis. He didn’t want to come here. If we did trade for him I know exactly how RealGM would have carried on. “Ainge sold the warchest for a rental” blah blah. Reality is Ainge couldn’t have predicted LeBron going there and making LA a destination again. The moment that happened Ainge was clearly screwed. Davis very obviously wants to play with LeBron. Is it really surprising?

Yes worst case scenario has happened but sometimes things like this happen. Ainge made a great trade with Brooklyn that netted him two top 3 picks and a top 10 pick. Unfortunately the top 3 picks came in drafts where those picks didn’t land you a superstar. Is that Ainge’s fault?

The Hayward bum comments never fail to make me laugh. Hayward shaped to be a very significant piece for Boston. No he wasn’t a top 10 player but seriously stop with this BS that he doesn’t impact games. He was a great player in his last year with Utah and nobody knows how he would have gone healthy with Boston. I guess Ainge somehow should have stopped him snapping his leg in game 1 right?
ShazamDaShiznt
Analyst
And1: 4,767

Post#124 » by ShazamDaShiznt » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:42 am

Celtics are back to where they been

FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,995

Post#125 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:45 am

JoseRizal wrote:Would I be wrong in thinking that this may be “karma” for what they did with IT?

Soo, what did we do to IT? Send him to the 2nd best team in the league? Yea, man that's karma.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,995

Post#126 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:50 am

MeloRoseNoah wrote:
HoopsterJones wrote:Be patient and punt next season. They will not be able to acquire a difference maker in this offseason that will make them a contender anyways.

Honestly they need to consider their long term future and see if Tatum and Brown develop into stars.

Consider consolidating their 14, 20, 22 pick to move up if there is a player in their draft they feel can be a difference maker at a draft slot that can be obtained (maybe 10 with the Hawks, I don’t know if it’s enough for them to trade 8). Another option is trading down for more picks, some that may be in next year’s draft. Otherwise keep their picks and draft BPA with high upsides and hope for the best.

Horford and Hayward will not be around long term, and I don’t expect that either of them will net a asset of any worth in a trade given their salary, age, and in Hayward’s case his inconsistent play. Let their salary expire or hope they opt out (Horford might, Hayward would be stupid if he did).

Re-sign Rozier only if he is willing to accept a value contract. I personally would not go above $10m per year. If he signs an offer sheet that is palatable then match it.

Keep cap flexibility and fill in the rest of the roster as needed.

This is the problem with Ainge and his delusion. He thinks that he is the next Red who can find diamonds in the rough with his eyes closed. The problem is that he absolutely sucks at drafting prospect. It wouldn't surprise me if all three picked players end up cut or out of the league in 2-3 years.

"Delusions" says the guy who's actually criticizing a fairly successful GM who was an NBA champ, a 2 sport athlete, and hasn't made a bad trade in the past 10 years. Sure, buddy.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
CelticsFTW
Junior
And1: 401

Post#127 » by CelticsFTW » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:51 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:Ah you’ve got to love RealGM. So many after the fact experts.

Jimmy Butler won the Sixers diddly squat and if they did win it was going to be because of Embiid’s superstar impact.

PG won the Thunder nothing either.

Kawhi is the only one I’ll admit was probably a mistake assuming that the Spurs actually we’re willing to trade him for some of our assets. But I’ve read varying reports there.

As for Davis. He didn’t want to come here. If we did trade for him I know exactly how RealGM would have carried on. “Ainge sold the warchest for a rental” blah blah. Reality is Ainge couldn’t have predicted LeBron going there and making LA a destination again. The moment that happened Ainge was clearly screwed. Davis very obviously wants to play with LeBron. Is it really surprising?

Yes worst case scenario has happened but sometimes things like this happen. Ainge made a great trade with Brooklyn that netted him two top 3 picks and a top 10 pick. Unfortunately the top 3 picks came in drafts where those picks didn’t land you a superstar. Is that Ainge’s fault?

The Hayward bum comments never fail to make me laugh. Hayward shaped to be a very significant piece for Boston. No he wasn’t a top 10 player but seriously stop with this BS that he doesn’t impact games. He was a great player in his last year with Utah and nobody knows how he would have gone healthy with Boston. I guess Ainge somehow should have stopped him snapping his leg in game 1 right?
This.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using RealGM mobile app
coca_scola
Senior
And1: 885

Post#128 » by coca_scola » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:55 am

To Dick's Sporting Goods, as a tracksuit and running shoes will be needed for the treadmill.
jimmy_smith
Bench Warmer
And1: 915

Post#129 » by jimmy_smith » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:57 am

South
KC: Do you still think your a championship caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if i'm wrong
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#130 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:14 am

Danny Ainge PR department is working overtime tonight...
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,321

Post#131 » by John Murdoch » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:16 am

Lilseb93 wrote:Turn on the treadmill unless their young core gets a lot better.

To the FO the IT situation was just business and trivial. To the players tho who are a tight nit small community , it showed disloyalty and they dont respect that . Rozier as a starter will be Reggie Jackson ish , Tatum gets a few more fga , horford gets older . Not looking too promising
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,111

Post#132 » by Showdown » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:36 am

They robbed Nets and then didn't materialize that so now Nets could become better team just a few years later. Not trading Morris, Rozier and Brown with pciks for better players or players tat are better fit was his biggest mistake
Lawyershawn
Senior
And1: 1,316

Post#133 » by Lawyershawn » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:38 am

I say from here, they pay for their karma for Isaiah Thomas—That was next level cruelty.
Lower Cases & Capitals
moistnessfiscal
Junior
And1: 170

Post#134 » by moistnessfiscal » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:54 am

The Celtics still have a chest full of assets, and no unreasonable contract other than Hayward's. They will need to do some astute drafting as well some luck in the trade or free agency market, when a player of Kawhi's caliber shows up. I see them recruiting Giannis with 2 years left on his contract, and look towards Houston if they decide to blow it up and Harden is up for grabs. They have very good surrounding pieces with Tatum as the potential second star, with Brown, Smart and potentially Rozier being above replacement level players, patience is what they need right now
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,040

Post#135 » by JazzUte88 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:55 am

Be a 4-5 seed for a few years with 1st or 2nd round exits while collecting valuable playoff revenue.

Aka treadmill.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,321

Post#136 » by John Murdoch » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:58 am

moistnessfiscal wrote:The Celtics still have a chest full of assets, and no unreasonable contract other than Hayward's. They will need to do some astute drafting as well some luck in the trade or free agency market, when a player of Kawhi's caliber shows up. I see them recruiting Giannis with 2 years left on his contract, and look towards Houston if they decide to blow it up and Harden is up for grabs. They have very good surrounding pieces with Tatum as the potential second star, with Brown, Smart and potentially Rozier being above replacement level players, patience is what they need right now

Where? Weak picks and a regressed Tatum foh
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,923

Post#137 » by Wilfried » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:59 am

They go to the lottery
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,040

Post#138 » by JazzUte88 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:00 am

lakerz12 wrote:To the gym

:lol: :lol:
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,665

Post#139 » by baldur » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:04 am

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
UNCBlue012 wrote:Not that some of these posts are truthful, but the hatred of Boston is showing. Let’s grow up, ladies.

LOL. OK.

i took him seriously until ladies:) hahaha. i almost took him completely seriously then. :lol: :lol:
Soca
Veteran
And1: 851

Post#140 » by Soca » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:06 am

They have to build around Tatum and Brown which looks pretty underwhelming right now.

Return to The General Board