CP3 -- What Happens to Him?

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

What uniform does CP3 end up wearing at the start of the season?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:11 pm

OKC Thunder
19%
LA Lakers
14%
LA Clippers
1%
Detroit Pistons
6%
Orlando Magic
3%
Miami
47%
Other
10%

Total votes: 187

bargnanimvp
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,362

Re: CP3 -- What Happens to Him? 

Post#121 » by bargnanimvp » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:34 am

TheRealKaboom wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Lol. Nobody can possibly be thinking clearly if they think he's getting bought out and going to LAL.
Exactly, the league would void the move for basketball reasons like the last time.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

I'm surprised people can either be this ignorant regarding the basketball reasons situation or this stupid
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,468

Post#122 » by Heat3 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:47 am

Best2EverDoIt wrote:
CB3 wrote:
Read on Twitter
Yeah if they think we're sending those picks back just to get rid of him they're on some heavy ****. There's little to no chance we even send 1 of those picks back. It's hilarious how they think they're in control and would be doing us some huge favor, he can ride the bench until he gives in and takes a buyout. We don't HAVE to trade him.

There is nothing to be in control about. Heat don't want CP3. OKC is the one that is trying to dump him on them. Why do you think they'll take that garbage contract without getting something for the trouble? :lol:
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

RunOKC
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,481

Post#123 » by RunOKC » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:48 am

Miami can't trade a first round pick until the year 2021, where they can then trade their 2028 pick away... Unless they do something about that protected pick 1-14 2023-25, unprotected in 2026. There is incentive for Riley to make a deal other than just getting Chris Paul/Picks. There's no way OKC is sending more than 1 pick to get rid of him to Miami, and if they do thats a win for the Heat.

How are they planning to put anything around Jimmy Butler with no draft assets to use in trades? Herro/Winslow/Bam are their only intriguing pieces, and really only Herro would interest me. Or they can wait for 2021 Free Agency when Butler is 32..
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,190

Post#124 » by heatwillbeback » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:52 am

RunOKC wrote:Miami can't trade a first round pick until the year 2021, where they can then trade their 2028 pick away... Unless they do something about that protected pick 1-14 2023-25, unprotected in 2026. There is incentive for Riley to make a deal other than just getting Chris Paul/Picks. There's no way OKC is sending more than 1 pick to get rid of him to Miami, and if they do thats a win for the Heat.

How are they planning to put anything around Jimmy Butler with no draft assets to use in trades? Herro/Winslow/Bam are their only intriguing pieces, and really only Herro would interest me. Or they can wait for 2021 Free Agency.

2021 sounds a lot better than 37 year old CP at 45 million. I like going into that offseason with Jimmy, Winslow, Herro and Bam as a RFA. Max a FA and go over to resign Bam. Sounds like the best plan. Unlike most teams or places, I actually trust that we can do something with FA money.

That contract isn't an asset. Its a hindrance. Should have figured that out before dealing for him. It's going to take all the picks you got from Houston just to dump that contract.

Heat would have interest in the player, as most teams would. But the contract makes him a negative asset.
RunOKC
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,481

Post#125 » by RunOKC » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:53 am

heatwillbeback wrote:
RunOKC wrote:Miami can't trade a first round pick until the year 2021, where they can then trade their 2028 pick away... Unless they do something about that protected pick 1-14 2023-25, unprotected in 2026. There is incentive for Riley to make a deal other than just getting Chris Paul/Picks. There's no way OKC is sending more than 1 pick to get rid of him to Miami, and if they do thats a win for the Heat.

How are they planning to put anything around Jimmy Butler with no draft assets to use in trades? Herro/Winslow/Bam are their only intriguing pieces, and really only Herro would interest me. Or they can wait for 2021 Free Agency.

2021 sounds a lot better than 37 year old CP at 45 million. I like going into that offseason with Jimmy, Winslow, Herro and Bam as a RFA. Max a FA and go over to resign Bam. Sounds like the best plan.

That contract isnt an asset. Its a hindrance. Should have figured that out before dealing for him. It's going to take all the picks you got from Houston just to dump that contract.

Heat would have interest in the player, as most teams would. But the contract makes him a negative asset.

We shall see. I think he ends up in Miami still.
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,468

Post#126 » by Heat3 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:55 am

RoyceDa59 wrote:OKC will give Paul the keys to the team which will boost up his stats and increase his trade value. While I still believe his contract will significantly limit his demand on the open market, I also believe OKC can see an increase in their asset.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I don't see how his value can increase this season. It's a huge contract and he's old. Honestly the only teams that could use him are ones that are already on the verge of the championship that just need that push to get over the edge. Those who's time is now and who wouldn't mind paying a lot in luxury tax. Something like the top 3 or 4 in each conf.

He can't do anything for a lower tier playoff team or a rebuilding team. In two years he'll be an expiring then he'll get some value.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

heatwillbeback
RealGM

Post#127 » by heatwillbeback » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:56 am

RunOKC wrote:
heatwillbeback wrote:

2021 sounds a lot better than 37 year old CP at 45 million. I like going into that offseason with Jimmy, Winslow, Herro and Bam as a RFA. Max a FA and go over to resign Bam. Sounds like the best plan.

That contract isnt an asset. Its a hindrance. Should have figured that out before dealing for him. It's going to take all the picks you got from Houston just to dump that contract.

We shall see. I think he ends up in Miami still.

I see two ways that could happen.

Either OKC realizes it will take assets to move that contract, or he agrees to get rid of his player option year 3. I would do a trade with no picks if he gives up the third year. Which is of course unlikely since its 45 million he would be giving up. Does he want out of OKC that bad is the question?
heatwillbeback
RealGM

Post#128 » by heatwillbeback » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:04 am

RoyceDa59 wrote:OKC will give Paul the keys to the team which will boost up his stats and increase his trade value. While I still believe his contract will significantly limit his demand on the open market, I also believe OKC can see an increase in their asset.

2021 is so important. It's a game changer like 2010 was. Franchises will change with this FA class.

As such, I don't think teams will see Paul at 45 million as an asset. He could become an asset after FA that summer for the teams that lose out, as he will be an expiring deal. But thats a very long term play for OKC. It's the only way I see him having any positive value. And you need to wait two years for it to materialize.
MyBoyBlu
Junior
And1: 283

Post#129 » by MyBoyBlu » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:07 am

OKC did this to themselves.

That's why many said including myself that Rockets absolutely fleeced OKC. CP3 is one of the worst 3 contracts in the league along with Wall and Wiggins.

If OKC fans think they are getting a game CP3 who is going to mentor SGA they got another thing coming. CP3 is gonna dog the effort and will be a blackmark on that team if he starts the season in a OKC uniform. OKC is desperate to move him for a reason. This is gonna be a ugly season for OKC if they can't figure out a way to move CP3.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,306

Post#130 » by Clemenza » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:10 am

I'd get rid of Paul and hand the keys to SGA. I would put no other guard in front of him. He's ready right now. There's no need for CP3 to be on a rebuilding team.
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,422

Post#131 » by CS707 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:14 am

You don’t think they’d rather full tank?
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,965

Post#132 » by Metallikid » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:30 am

He's gonna play next year on the Thunder.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#133 » by Pythagoras » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:42 am

Metallikid wrote:He's gonna play next year on the Thunder.

That seems to be where this is headed but that just feels so akward. OKC can't afford to give up multiple picks just to come off of CP3 given they're rebuilding but none of Paul's preferred destinations are willing or able to trade for him.

The other option is Paul is just going to have to humble himself and open up his options to where he'd be willing to go...
Numbers rule the universe.
on7on8
Sophomore
And1: 134

Post#134 » by on7on8 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:45 am

He needs to stay in OKC and become CP3pledouble
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,965

Post#135 » by Metallikid » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:45 am

Pythagoras wrote:
Metallikid wrote:He's gonna play next year on the Thunder.

That seems to be where this is headed but that just feels so akward. OKC can't afford to give up multiple picks just to come off of CP3 given they're rebuilding but none of Paul's preferred destinations are willing or able to trade for him.

The other option is Paul is just going to have to humble himself and open up his options to where he'd be willing to go...

I think there are very few teams in the league willing to take on Paul and his contract, even for a straight salary swap. The point I agree with is OKC won't give up picks to deal him. I don't see that resolving anytime soon.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 277

Post#136 » by kobyz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:16 am

Should the bucks go after cp3? http://tradenba.com/trades/BkwDxNsbS

Bucks upgrade bledsoe with paul and increasing their chances for title
Thunder saving money and get cap space, and getting two young prospects
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#137 » by DoItALL9 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:27 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:Prob Miami or lakers if somehow he gets bought out but it’s really doubtful, always potential for some team out the blue to come and snag him but that contract is just tough. Would like to see him get somewhere with at least the chance of a deep playoff run but sometimes in the nba great ones just don’t get the ring.

In 2011 the Celtics were ready to offer rondo and pieces to the hornets for cp3. He told them he wouldn’t re-sign bc of the Celtics age. That was his best chance at a ring besides 2018 rockets. Cp3/ray/pierce/kg and they Also were close on a s&t for David west before he went to the pacers but even without west or Paul The Celtics took the heat 7 that year.
I always thought Boston should've traded for him anyway.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app

oh god no. worst contract in basketball or up there. at least gordon's is done in 2 years maybe next summer and he can still come back and be healthy

I was talking about 8 years ago.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#138 » by svart » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:32 am

HMFFL wrote:
Neutral 123 wrote:Whatever happens I do hope that Paul remains a professional. His role as nbapa president makes it imperative he respects the rules in place. If he can't be moved, he needs to suck it up and play.
Very true but behind the scenes I doubt it happens. One headline today suggest that OKC may want to keep Chris and I seriously doubt that happens. I don't think Chris will be pleased with that or agree to it even if he's bounded by a contract.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app

I’ m just curios, how the hell can he not agree with it?

In what world a written, signed contract means nothing?

I think i missed the part that states that is only valid when the team needs to pay a certain player, but in the opposite situation the player can or cannot agree to play it through.

As the president of NBABA, if the case, he should just shout the f@@k up and suck it to the bitter end.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
phraoh
Sixth Man
And1: 717

Post#139 » by phraoh » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:45 am

OKC WILL trade CP3....by taking the best deal (expirings instead of long term players and giving up one or two first round picks, but only protected ones). People saying a rebuilding team can't give up draft picks...they will be able to get the same ones back when they take on salary dump from someone next season when they don't have Paul's bloated contract on the books. He definitely will be gone by end of summer. Presti is a smart gm...he isn't going to have Paul around.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,927

Post#140 » by JShuttlesworth » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:36 am

OKC needs to ride it out with CP3 this year. As time goes on the contract becomes more tradeable, they might be stuck with him for 1.5 years. That what happens when you sign a contract like that and don't live up to it.

Return to The General Board