Coach K: Zion never should’ve played Summer League

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,140

Re: Coach K: Zion never should’ve played Summer League 

Post#121 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:37 pm

dautjazz wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
dautjazz wrote:
Ok, so I'm 35, I go to the gym with a personal trainer, and I eat well, but I don't really believe in most diets, like "blood type diet", "keto diet", etc.. I just do a low carb diet, high protein and high fiber. If you consume a lot of protein and fiber, and keep your carbs low, you won't blow up. In Miami everybody eats rice and beans daily, I don't, I try to stick to veggie and nutritious sides like beans. I have a couple of cheat meals a week, pizza, cheeseburger, you name it. I don't drink soda, eat pastries, candy, etc.. but yes once in a blue moon why not. I used to drink tons of beer, I still party a lot, but I've cut back heavily and drink mainly vodka/sodas. I almost never eat a salad, and I do, I"m making a REALLY good one. I went from 199 to 165, probably got a good 10lb muscle gain in the last 10 months. I did it because I wanted to be able to play basketball again, since I had a torn meniscus.

Did you do that living out of a hotel?

I mean I'm not one to talk, I'd love to be a shredded 200 again instead of my much more portly shape, but that is 100% on me and my life style choices. If however I were traveling like these rookies often are during their first summer, man that's not easy and keep in mind Zion likely eats 5k calories a day to maintain his weight when playing. Maybe more. He's not someone who's had to watch what he eats is my expectation. Once he's home, in prep for the season, he'll shed some weight. It'll be up to him to get focused on being LEAN but the 20 pounds he's added likely stressed out and traveling will melt off.

I'm not sure what the cutoff date would be for hyped players with similar circumstances, as in all the press and coverage in today's day thanks to social media, but lets use 20 years, it's a nice round number, most homes had the internet. So in the last 20 years, has there been a very highly hyped player (lets say something in the OJ Mayo to Lebron range) that has been this out of shape in the summer of their draft? I can think of many who came in maybe too skinny, say a Durant, but this overweight? I can't think of any. Lebron was signing endorsement deals with everybody before he even played an NBA game (Nike, McDonalds, Coca-Cola, etc), and he was in fine shape.

Look a program like Duke is going to have a basketball program that is as close to NBA one in terms of nutrition and training, then right after he gets drafted by NBA team. The most hyped player since Lebron, has to know he's got chances to make hundred of millions, potentially become a billionaire over the long term, he's got to take advantage of everything these programs give him. He's obviously hit the weights hard in Duke, no doubt about that, his diet I don't know much about, but I feel it's probably questionable. I don't know what you do for a living, but you get a pass if you're not an NBA athlete, Zion doesn't.

How many hyped guys have been naturally well chubby? The last big name player I can think of was Chuck or maybe maybe shaq but he was pretty lean in his early days. Zion is a very odd body type for the nba. That said i've seen plenty of them out of shape. But most weren't going to gain weight like him. hell at 19 I could eat pizza every day and might gain 5 pounds over this time period, but let me tell you I couldn't add muscle like him either. All be it I did gain about 30 my freshman year of college, took 2 months to drop over the summer...god I miss being young.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,956

Post#122 » by XtremeDunkz » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Jesus Christ.

"high picks shouldnt play in summer league."

"Projected 1st round picks shouldnt play in college bowl games."

Whats next? Stars shouldnt play until the playoffs? For **** sake what happened to playing because you love the game? Too much money in this **** now. I can see my interest going down quickly if things continue like this.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 38,367

Post#123 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:55 pm

If he's out of shape then yes, he should not play. But the fact that he's reporting to summer league at nearly 300lbs if that is true is not a good look. He needs to get his playing weight down to 270 imo.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,140

Post#124 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:09 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:Jesus Christ.

"high picks shouldnt play in summer league."

"Projected 1st round picks shouldnt play in college bowl games."

Whats next? Stars shouldnt play until the playoffs? For **** sake what happened to playing because you love the game? Too much money in this **** now. I can see my interest going down quickly if things continue like this.

There is way too much money in it. sadly the only way cable companies can get people to buy cable is due to sports. As a result the player salary is getting idiotic. the league would be far better if top players were making 5-10 million a year (which fyi is CEO level pay at the fortune 500's, outside of the 100's perhaps). But it is what it is and the big pay day doesn't come until the second contract.
bb22
Starter
And1: 1,024

Post#125 » by bb22 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:26 pm

Ya he probably needs to lose weight, but he also needs to play a more conservative game. If he’s out there contesting shots inside-out, rolling hard to the rim every time, he will get injured. Then again, if he’s not out there playing that way, his contributions on court depreciate. As a basketball fan, I hope he just plays the way he always has and avoids any serious injuries for as long as possible.
Ben Simmons
Starter
And1: 1,077

Post#126 » by Ben Simmons » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:46 pm

The knee bump had nothing to do with weight :lol:
Knee bumps are common in the NBA....
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,308

Post#127 » by Lalouie » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:51 pm

k played zion in the nick of time for the ncaaMarchMadness

funny how that worked out
Stribor
Pro Prospect
And1: 500

Post#128 » by Stribor » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:10 pm

I love the kid, but I have previously said he is injury waiting to happen. He is to explosive for his weight, its not a problem of weight by itself , but the fact that he is moving like freeking explosive guard with all that mass. I really hope I am wrong, because if by some mirracle his body can stay intact with his playing style, he will be a top 15 of all time for sure.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,009

Post#129 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:22 pm

I thought he was heavy at Duke let alone now. When they kept saying 280lbs as if it were some benefit, what's he gonna play C?

Should be at about 270 max for that height. Lebron is a tank at like 265 and is an inch taller, maybe 2 if Zion is really 6'7.

That said I think he'll figure it out
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 18,069

Post#130 » by Slacktard » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:31 pm

He looked fat his entire college season. He just looked fatter during Summer League.
Stribor
Pro Prospect
And1: 500

Post#131 » by Stribor » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:31 pm

And LBJ does not play with the same energy as Zion. LBJ plays calmer and smarter, while Zion plays on the edge .
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#132 » by NatiboyB » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:54 pm

DaPessimist wrote:I almost never agree with the idea that players should avoid playing basketball to avoid injuries.

However, the Summer League is a different beast. You have a bunch of guys going 150% to try and realize their dream and make an NBA team. There's no reason to take an established star player like Zion and have him competing in this type of environment.

pretty much using this mantra the majority of the 1st rd picks past and present should sit out of the summer league and just allow the players who "need" the summer league to play. No need for a RJ or Hayes or Lonnie Walker to play as an example...
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,591

Post#133 » by DaPessimist » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:26 am

NatiboyB wrote:
DaPessimist wrote:I almost never agree with the idea that players should avoid playing basketball to avoid injuries.

However, the Summer League is a different beast. You have a bunch of guys going 150% to try and realize their dream and make an NBA team. There's no reason to take an established star player like Zion and have him competing in this type of environment.

pretty much using this mantra the majority of the 1st rd picks past and present should sit out of the summer league and just allow the players who "need" the summer league to play. No need for a RJ or Hayes or Lonnie Walker to play as an example...

These players have proven their NBA capacity by virtue of their pick status. If you take a guy top 15ish and think he needs to prove something in Summer League, maybe you should have made another pick.

And like I said, I normally have no problem with any of these guys playing ball at anytime, but the Summer League is a weird environment (I've been numerous times), where you have guys literally playing for a chance to change their lives, and there's no better way to prove yourself than against a top 15 draft pick.

Return to The General Board