Celtics exposed?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Celtics exposed? 

Post#121 » by LloydFree » Tue Oct 8, 2019 10:11 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Could be worse— they couldve spent it on Markelle Fultz and Zhaire Smith.

What’s wrong with Zhaire? After almost dying last year and losing 30 lbs, he’s back up to speed and looks great.

As for Fultz, we should have held onto him instead of trading him to ORL for garbage, but Lloyd of all people won’t agree with that.

Whats wrong with Langford or Grant Williams?

Nothing is wrong with Romeo Langford. I actually like his upside and think he's an underrated prospect. Grant Williams is a whole bunch of nothing though. Jared Dudley at best.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#122 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Oct 8, 2019 10:19 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
What’s wrong with Zhaire? After almost dying last year and losing 30 lbs, he’s back up to speed and looks great.

As for Fultz, we should have held onto him instead of trading him to ORL for garbage, but Lloyd of all people won’t agree with that.

I didn’t say anything about those guys, and frankly I haven’t watched them enough to say

Theres nothing wrong with Smith. Im legitimately happy hes recovered because he nearly died and not enough people are aware of that. Im actually rooting for him. Hes super raw, and losing most of a year really hurts, but hes got off the charts athleticism.

My point was moreso that if youre going to clown on the Celtics for not trading youth/picks for stars, i’m gonna clown back.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#123 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Oct 8, 2019 10:27 pm

LloydFree wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

Nothing is wrong with Romeo Langford. I actually like his upside and think he's an underrated prospect. Grant Williams is a whole bunch of nothing though. Jared Dudley at best.

Williams is a system player. Hes got some skill on offense as a short roll passer and should be able to hit threes based on mechanics and FT% indicators. The Celtics are hoping he can turn into a facsimile of PJ Tucker, with slightly more offensive skill and less defensive switchability.

Hes a low ceiling pick that came unexpectedly — no one thought LAC would make the playoffs — cheap role players are quite useful. No one is expecting more.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,547

Post#124 » by PistolPeteJR » Tue Oct 8, 2019 10:27 pm

TroubleS0me wrote:
celtics543 wrote:Celts are a playoff team but the interior defense is definitely an issue. Kanter isn't going to start though, they'll have someone in there for defensive purposes, whether it ends up being RW3, Grant Williams, Theis, Poirier, or whoever. There's been one preseason game so lots of things to work out but losing Al makes it really tough defensively. What I'm pretty sure of though is that Marcus Smart has to start next to Kemba and right now it looks like Hayward would be the odd one out of the starting lineup. I think Tatum and Brown can play better defense than Hayward and I'm not sure they need Gordon's offense with the starting unit.

Tacko Fall ? He has the height & rim protection

And -42 stamina.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,445

Re: Celtics interior defense exposed? 

Post#125 » by robbie84 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 10:30 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:I didn't understand why they shipped Baynes to Phoenix in what was basically a salary dump.
The guy is an excellent big defender and rim protector. They couldn't have found a use for that, at least situationally?

Was it because they thought they'd have horford or was he already gone at that point?
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,021

Post#126 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Oct 8, 2019 10:43 pm

The needed to clear salary to sign Kemba. This is not rocket science.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#127 » by LloydFree » Tue Oct 8, 2019 10:45 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Williams is a system player. Hes got some skill on offense as a short roll passer and should be able to hit threes based on mechanics and FT% indicators. The Celtics are hoping he can turn into a facsimile of PJ Tucker, with slightly more offensive skill and less defensive switchability.

Hes a low ceiling pick that came unexpectedly — no one thought LAC would make the playoffs — cheap role players are quite useful. No one is expecting more.

Whatever Grant Williams will ever be able to give, even at his peak, you can get in any given off-season from a minimum salary veteran. Shoulda selected Mfiondu Kabangele for more upside, and he would have offered more potential to help with the issue the OP brought up with this thread. JMO.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#128 » by dorkestra » Tue Oct 8, 2019 10:53 pm

I can't imagine they make it to the trade deadline without addressing rim protection, but Ainge has been known to hold out for what he thinks is the perfect deal.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#129 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Oct 8, 2019 11:30 pm

LloydFree wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Nothing is wrong with Romeo Langford. I actually like his upside and think he's an underrated prospect. Grant Williams is a whole bunch of nothing though. Jared Dudley at best.

Whatever Grant Williams will ever be able to give, even at his peak, you can get in any given off-season from a minimum salary veteran. Shoulda selected Mfiondu Kabangele for more upside, and he would have offered more potential to help with the issue the OP brought up with this thread. JMO.

IMO, Kabangele is out of the league before his rookie contract expires. Big men who cant rebound, pass or finish at the rim dont have long careers. His poor rebounding wouldnt solve any issues for the team.

I hear your larger point, but respectfully disagree— dudes like PJ Tucker are not available every year and are also very valuable to have.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#130 » by Prokorov » Wed Oct 9, 2019 12:45 am

Darth Celtic wrote:First preseason game with a 16 man rotation seemingly random for a reason (brad likes to throw out many different looks to get data on what works and what doesn't) and what we get out of it is "celtics exposed"? Keep doing you GB.

At least this is a step up from the NBA2k low rated bench thread. Oh yeah, we won the game. Did we win the preseason yet or get some award for that?

the data on what doesnt work is playing any of the bigs on the exsisting roster.

thats an issue
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#131 » by ballup » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:03 am

RHODEY wrote:
CoP wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Standard reminder that there is no 'ESPN'--the network employs dozens of writers and personalities, many of whom are idiots and some of whom are pretty sharp. Saying 'BSPN' did X or Y makes no sense since there's virtually nothing Kevin Pelton and Zach Lowe are going to agree with Skip Bayless and Ryan Hollins about.

There is also this quote from a "BSPN" story in July. Plenty of people, including on ESPN, saw this coming, so his comment is a typical strawman. From https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27189056/nba-power-rankings-league-best-teams-now :

It will be much more difficult to make up for losing Horford. Enes Kanter will likely be Boston's starting center, with second-year big man Robert Williams III, Frenchman Vincent Poirier and German Daniel Theis behind him. They will give Boston a few ways to play, but not nearly at the same level of skill and poise that Horford, one of the league's most versatile bigs, did. That, in turn, puts a ceiling on just how good Boston can be -- regardless of how much growth the Celtics get from young wings Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown.

No mention of Baynes or Morris.

It's a quick rundown article. Of course it doesn't go into discussing Morris or Baynes. The Utah one doesn't go into the losses of Favors nor do the Blazers on Aminu/Haukless.

Also from that article:
Key subtractions: Kyrie Irving, Al Horford, Marcus Morris, Aron Baynes

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#132 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:29 am

Kanter isn't going to be the Celtics starting center.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
dorkestra
RealGM

Post#133 » by dorkestra » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:14 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Kanter isn't going to be the Celtics starting center.

will it be bob williams?
Djh7475
Pro Prospect
And1: 422

Post#134 » by Djh7475 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:01 am

Kanter is going to come off the bench and own offensively and on the boards against bench bigs. Theiss, Pourrier, and Robert Williams are all defensive-minded bigs. Theiss was out in game 1 with injury and Pourrier didn’t get much run. Rob will take some minutes to get comfortable and learn his role, and the Celtics have several more movable contracts at the deadline. I think this is a bit of overreaction to one preseason game.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#135 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:10 am

This is just another one of those threads designed to make fans of other EC teams feel good about themselves. Having said that, the poor interior defense in the first preseason game is something that needs to be fixed, along with some other issues.

dorkestra
RealGM

Post#136 » by dorkestra » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:13 am

I still think they have a chance of making the playoffs
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,657

Post#137 » by grindtime22 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 4:17 am

dorkestra wrote:

will it be bob williams?

My guess is it will be Daniel Theis with it possibly eventually being Williams if he starts picking things up.

Theis is a good player that fits what the Celtics want to do. He isn't a chair like Kanter and he isn't completely lost like Williams. He also can space the floor and doesn't need the ball to be effective on the other end.Yes, he will get destroyed by Embiid, but there simply aren't many of those in the league anymore. That is a problem for the postseason where the loss of Horford will really show up defensively.

In the regular season, they will probably cobble together a top 10 defense and be fine except for against a few teams. It's a different animal where you can do things that no longer work in the postseason.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,255

Post#138 » by LewisnotMiller » Wed Oct 9, 2019 4:40 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:Celtics are going to be in the race for the number one pick unless they make some big moves. Can't make the playoffs with no defense. They probably have the worse interia defense in the league, and a really poor defensive point guard. The only thing that can save them is their coach, but even Stevens can not preform miracles with this mess.

Nah, the pick Memphis owes us is top 6 protected this year...
dorkestra
RealGM

Post#139 » by dorkestra » Wed Oct 9, 2019 4:45 am

grindtime22 wrote:
dorkestra wrote:

will it be bob williams?

My guess is it will be Daniel Theis with it possibly eventually being Williams if he starts picking things up.

Theis is a good player that fits what the Celtics want to do. He isn't a chair like Kanter and he isn't completely lost like Williams. He also can space the floor and doesn't need the ball to be effective on the other end.Yes, he will get destroyed by Embiid, but there simply aren't many of those in the league anymore. That is a problem for the postseason where the loss of Horford will really show up defensively.

In the regular season, they will probably cobble together a top 10 defense and be fine except for against a few teams. It's a different animal where you can do things that no longer work in the postseason.

Makes sense - I suppose I'd start Theis with Kanter as the instant offense bench center, but hoping to develop Williams along the way so he can eventually improve his comfort level and awareness.
manlisten
Junior
And1: 311

Post#140 » by manlisten » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:41 pm

I've got them winning 42 games. They essentially have a tank roster on par with the Grizzlies and OKC but not as cohesive as those squads. They would be a 15 seed in the West. I know people like to say it's only preseason but there were some MAJOR red flags in that game and they were all highly predictable. During the stretch where they went down 17 they couldn't manufacture any type of looks on offense and Kemba/Kanter were getting abused on defense every single trip down the court. And this was against the Charlotte Hornets who have the most random assortment of names since Hinkie's Sixers. Stevens seems to be running the same system as last year with his center dictating the offense above the break. This made me realize how much of a crutch Horford was for him because Kanter and Williams aren't equipped for that role whatsoever. They are going to have to scratch and claw for any wins, absolutely nothing is coming easy for that team.

Sent from my Pixel XL using RealGM mobile app

Return to The General Board