So is Jokic just gonna be seemingly out of shape his entire career and does it matter??

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,654

Re: So is Jokic just gonna be fat his entire career? 

Post#121 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:39 pm

Pg81 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Sark wrote:You guys act like the shape of a person's body is so easy to control. Let's see all your chiseled physiques of the people talking shht.

I mean your weight is 100% something you do have control of given a floor and ceiling. For some the "ideal" body is far easier to obtain, but if one is over weight and they want to weight less, it really is as simple as put down the fork. For some that might mean actually fasting for days on end or eating 1 meal a day. For others it means only 3 cheese burgers and no more than 6 beers, but again it's that simple. Just like if you want to gain weight, pizza and beer diets will put on the pounds, some people 1 of each is enough...for others you might need to go more extreme.

If that were the case we would not have a such a terrible success rate of dieting. According to some Swedish scientists, only about 5% manage their achieved weight for years. The vast majority fall back into old bad habits. That is like saying to a meth addict "You are responsible for staying clean".
Is this statistic valid for professional athletes as well?

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app
Слава Украине!
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,126

Post#122 » by everdiso » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:40 pm

I've come back to the main boards 5 or 6 times since this thread started and I chuckle at the title every time.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
cjx
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,626

Post#123 » by cjx » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:45 pm

Jokic needs to eat more burdock root, kale, soursop and dragon fruit. Those 4 foods plus no sugary drinks will transform him, guaranteed!
Take a couple of minutes and check out this comic book, my friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/574101710/the-assemblage-issue-1a-courage-and-no-more-crises
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,875

Post#124 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:49 pm

ZB9 wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:
Pg81 wrote:
You can repeat this as many times as you like. The fact that we have a world wide obesity pandemic proves otherwise.

Proves Americans are lazy,, have poor eating habits and lack discipline.

lol lazy compared to whom? The unemployment rate in the US is just 3.6 percent. The unemployment rate in Europe is 6.8 percent.

Maybe you are talking about North Americans? The unemployment rate in Canada is 5.7 percent. That would fit your narrative better. Although it's still lower than in Europe.

You're right about Americans having bad eating habits but calling Americans "lazy" doesnt make much sense.

You do realize that unemployment calculations aren't standardized across countries, right? Every country calculates this number differently.

It also has nothing to do with "laziness".
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,654

Post#125 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:49 pm

ZB9 wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:
Pg81 wrote:
You can repeat this as many times as you like. The fact that we have a world wide obesity pandemic proves otherwise.

lol lazy compared to whom? The unemployment rate in the US is just 3.6 percent. The unemployment rate in Europe is 6.8 percent.

Maybe you are talking about North Americans? The unemployment rate in Canada is 5.7 percent. That would fit your narrative better. Although it's still lower than in Europe.

You're right about Americans having bad eating habits but calling Americans "lazy" doesnt make much sense.
How is unemployment rate supposed to be relevant? Do you even know how it's measured? People that are TOO LAZY to look for a job are not counted, only then ones actively looking but not finding are considered unemployed.
Already it would be bad to look at employment rate, but unemployment is just ignorant.

Слава Украине!
ZB9
Sixth Man
And1: 696

Post#126 » by ZB9 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:56 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
ZB9 wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:

How is unemployment rate supposed to be relevant? Do you even know how it's measured? People that are TOO LAZY to look for a job are not counted, only then ones actively looking but not finding are considered unemployed.
Already it would be bad to look at employment rate, but unemployment is just ignorant.

So what metric do you use to determine that "Americans are lazy"?

Enlighten me.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,554

Post#127 » by Ambrose » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:00 pm

ZB9 wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
ZB9 wrote:

Enlighten me.

Obesity rates.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,183

Post#128 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:09 pm

Pg81 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Pg81 wrote:

How many people who are over weight are actively attempting to stop being fat? I'm fat...I made the choice to eat what I ate. Just like in college and my early 20's when I made the choice to have abs year round (which was by no means easy for me).

I do not know. Do you? I do know that most fat people I know who try to reduce weight struggle a lot with it. Considering that the relapse rate is frighteningly high, the notion that all you have to do is "just do not eat bad foodz" is about as useful as telling a junkie to just do not do drugs. In other words it is a completely and utterly empty and hollow advice lacking any insight into the actual issue.

ZB9 wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:

Wait, what? Do you seriously believe that employment and unemployment rate have anything to do with laziness? :crazy:

The-Power wrote:
Pg81 wrote:

Are you seriously comparing Jokic and his incentives (and opportunities) to stay in great shape to average people and their incentives (and opportunities)? Come on. Next you're telling me basketball players can't be expected to practice and play basketball every day because the average person doesn't play basketball every day either. And maybe, just maybe you noticed that the ‘obesity pandemic’ is not really much of an issue in the NBA. I wonder if there's any reason for that...

Maybe read the post I was originally reacting to? The one who claims that it is all 100% on you? :roll:

Who said don't eat bad food? I said put the fork down. You can go a month without eating. I can assure you, your weight will drop. It is THAT simple. If someone consumes less calories than they burn, they'll drop weight. If people struggle to keep weight off, it's for one SIMPLE reason. They chose to eat more than they burn. Every time you eat, it's a choice. There's a difference in "want" and "choice". If I want abs (who doesn't?) but choose to eat a burrito....well I chose to be fat.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#129 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:09 pm

Ambrose wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Pg81 wrote:

How many people who are over weight are actively attempting to stop being fat? I'm fat...I made the choice to eat what I ate. Just like in college and my early 20's when I made the choice to have abs year round (which was by no means easy for me).

I don't think he gets it. Being fat is a choice. That's a fact. Unfortunately people today are too lazy to do anything about it. 'Relapsing' is just a nicer way of saying quitting.

It's choosing to be fat again. They chose to lose the weight and then chose to gain it back.
ZB9
Sixth Man
And1: 696

Post#130 » by ZB9 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:12 pm

Ambrose wrote:
ZB9 wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:How is unemployment rate supposed to be relevant? Do you even know how it's measured? People that are TOO LAZY to look for a job are not counted, only then ones actively looking but not finding are considered unemployed.

Enlighten me.

Obesity rates.

Ok, so....

fat = lazy

not fat = not lazy

If someone works 50 hours a week, but they are fat, then they are lazy...

If someone doesnt work, and has all day to work out whenever they want...they are not fat, so they are not lazy...

You're a genius.
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,203

Post#131 » by donnieme » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:18 pm

It's not even about injuries. If he looks like this in his physical prime the drop in metabolism that comes with age could have him looking like a sumo wrestler. This is why you have to start cultivating good diet habits before the time comes
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,358

Post#132 » by Tracymcgoaty » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:43 pm

Clay Davis wrote:Nikola Jokic is the Tyson Fury of basketball (and not just because he's white).

They both go on drug fueled benders?
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,593

Post#133 » by DaPessimist » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:00 am

Champ1on wrote:
GregOden wrote:I wonder how an active pro athlete is even that fat. Does he just eat a bucket of cheetos when he goes home?

Believe it or not there are chubby athele's in MLB and the NFL.

MLB and NFL are different animals. MLB you sit/stand around half the game, and in the NFL they actually force you to gain weight.

An NBA guy playing starter minutes + practice should not be fat.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,593

Post#134 » by DaPessimist » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:01 am

Ambrose wrote:
ZB9 wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:How is unemployment rate supposed to be relevant? Do you even know how it's measured? People that are TOO LAZY to look for a job are not counted, only then ones actively looking but not finding are considered unemployed.

Enlighten me.

Obesity rates.

Americans have longer work rates than most of the developed World. They certainly aren't 'lazy'. Obesity in America has more to do with what people eat.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#135 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:17 am

DaPessimist wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
ZB9 wrote:

Enlighten me.

Obesity rates.

Americans have longer work rates than most of the developed World. They certainly aren't 'lazy'. Obesity in America has more to do with what people eat.

You can work 100 hours a week and still be lazy...
KingFox
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,699

Post#136 » by KingFox » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:55 am

He looks like Greg Ostertag +
israelfirst
Senior
And1: 1,034

Post#137 » by israelfirst » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:20 am

imagine how much better he would be if he was in good shape
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#138 » by Pg81 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:35 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
Pg81 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

I do not know. Do you? I do know that most fat people I know who try to reduce weight struggle a lot with it. Considering that the relapse rate is frighteningly high, the notion that all you have to do is "just do not eat bad foodz" is about as useful as telling a junkie to just do not do drugs. In other words it is a completely and utterly empty and hollow advice lacking any insight into the actual issue.

ZB9 wrote:

Wait, what? Do you seriously believe that employment and unemployment rate have anything to do with laziness? :crazy:

The-Power wrote:Are you seriously comparing Jokic and his incentives (and opportunities) to stay in great shape to average people and their incentives (and opportunities)? Come on. Next you're telling me basketball players can't be expected to practice and play basketball every day because the average person doesn't play basketball every day either. And maybe, just maybe you noticed that the ‘obesity pandemic’ is not really much of an issue in the NBA. I wonder if there's any reason for that...

Maybe read the post I was originally reacting to? The one who claims that it is all 100% on you? :roll:

Who said don't eat bad food? I said put the fork down. You can go a month without eating. I can assure you, your weight will drop. It is THAT simple. If someone consumes less calories than they burn, they'll drop weight. If people struggle to keep weight off, it's for one SIMPLE reason. They chose to eat more than they burn. Every time you eat, it's a choice. There's a difference in "want" and "choice". If I want abs (who doesn't?) but choose to eat a burrito....well I chose to be fat.

You are completely and utterly ignorant of psychology and dieting. :roll:
Please do me a favor, go to your nearest drug rehab center and tell all the addicts there that all they have to do is lay down the needle and that they can live without ever doing drugs. The reaction will be priceless, especially by the professionals. :lol:

Oh and just for the future, stop giving people terrible dieting advice. The worst you can do is a zero food diet. I must know, I am living through the aftermaths of that from about 13 years ago. You are prone to gain far more weight afterwards because the body remembers "the drought" and will come to the misconception that it has to counter it the next time it happens.

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
Pg81 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
I mean your weight is 100% something you do have control of given a floor and ceiling. For some the "ideal" body is far easier to obtain, but if one is over weight and they want to weight less, it really is as simple as put down the fork. For some that might mean actually fasting for days on end or eating 1 meal a day. For others it means only 3 cheese burgers and no more than 6 beers, but again it's that simple. Just like if you want to gain weight, pizza and beer diets will put on the pounds, some people 1 of each is enough...for others you might need to go more extreme.

If that were the case we would not have a such a terrible success rate of dieting. According to some Swedish scientists, only about 5% manage their achieved weight for years. The vast majority fall back into old bad habits. That is like saying to a meth addict "You are responsible for staying clean".
Is this statistic valid for professional athletes as well?

I do not know but the poster before me seemed to talk in general anyway so that is why I did, too.
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
will
RealGM
And1: 50,023
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#139 » by will » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:41 am

Bartolo Colon begs to differ.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#140 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:42 am

Pg81 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Pg81 wrote:

You are completely and utterly ignorant of psychology. :roll:
Please do me a favor, go to your nearest drug rehab center and tell all the addicts there that all they have to do is lay down the needle and that they can live without ever doing drugs. The reaction will be priceless, especially by the professionals. :lol:

I full understand what you're saying. It does not in anyway change that eating is a choice as is using drugs. Though comparing someone who struggles to pass on a 2 liter of coke with someone on drugs is a bit comical. Most people in reality just don't want to be lean as much as they want another serving of food. It's just that simple.

Return to The General Board