Woj: Some Players getting cold feet about playing in Orlando

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,964

Re: Woj: Some Players getting cold feet about playing in Orlando 

Post#121 » by basketballRob » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:48 pm

Jay 20 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Jay 20 wrote:I hate to say it, but I can see this being cancelled. If there are really spikes happening then whose to say lockdown orders won't spark back up?
Coronavirus is going to be here forever. We can't expect players to wait 2 years to play.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app

I don't expect it, but I'm also not a policy maker and we've seen how the lockdowns happened. It just takes one state like Arizona where the virus seems to be increasing rather than decreasing for the state to lock back down and then start a chain effect of others doing the same.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it, just that I can see it happening.
Everyone will eventually get it, they're just trying to prevent everyone from getting it at the same time. Coronavirus is out of the bag and will be here forever now.

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,964

Post#122 » by basketballRob » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:53 pm

Mikistan wrote:
gabri3l3 wrote:
Mikistan wrote:Have you been tested positive for corona?
I wish

Inviato dal mio SM-A510F utilizzando Tapatalk

Is this a joke?

Seems like an incredibly stupid comment to willingly want to contract the disease. Even if it's a symptomatic to half the healthy population, there are still people with symptoms and impact on lungs.
We don't have long term data still, and there is no info on any lingering or overall impacts on lung capacity later in life.

Even if it is a joke, it's still incredibly silly to push such a narrative forward.

You want to go risk your health, go do it... And risk everyone else's health that you come in contact with. And then the health of everyone else they come in contact with.

But to push your moral compass/risk appetite onto everyone else is also silly. You sound entitled, or, you've been put in a situation where you've been forced to continue working in public and think because you are forced to then everyone else should too...
You can't live in a bubble the rest of your life. Some people are delirious, thinking in a few months or a year this will be over. It's going to be here forever. Later they'll come up with vaccines and treatments, but you won't be 100% safe. It'll mutate and they'll have to change vaccines.

The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,171

Post#123 » by The-Power » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:03 pm

Jay 20 wrote:I hate to say it, but I can see this being cancelled. If there are really spikes happening then whose to say lockdown orders won't spark back up?

That's why they have it in Florida. There's no way Florida will shut down again even if cases spike and bodies are piling up.

Optms wrote:If they don't want to play, they don't get paid. Simple. And if they are sitting out for stupid reasons like Lillard, fine em. That or give us fans the ability to not pay either and consume NBA content for free.

You don't have to watch when you don't want to – you know that, right? Why would they make it free, you can just not pay. And if you already did – well, I guess nowhere in the contracts it's stipulated that you're entitled to watch specific players play. I understand being frustrated but that logic doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 28,282

Post#124 » by Domejandro » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:05 pm

I have said it before, and I will say it again. It is an absolute disgrace that this is being hosted in the United States of America, our response to COVID-19 has been an unmitigated disaster.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,645

Post#125 » by Billy Goat » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:24 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
You say this as if being at Disney world wouldn't seriously suck. And the reason people work really really hard to be successful is so they get control of their lives and can make their own choices. Getting mad at players for not wanting to play under horrible conditions is crazy. Why should they be put under this risk when the vast majority of successful people in the world are working from home and able to protect themselves and their families?

Who is actually not playing because of the risk? How much effort the league put into this, at this point the chances of getting sick there are most likely far lesser than getting sick while not playing and doing whatever these players doing. We all know why they dont want to play, because they dont want to be locked in one location they dont want to be, thats it, they found a thing they hate about their job right now and they are flat out quitting, and most likely still getting paid, its insulting to everyone who has ever had a crappy working conditions and didnt quit. And I use crappy working conditions like this NBA plan is terrible working conditions, which is not even.

I give you that most people stuck with their jobs because they dont have other choice, people are desperate. These guys are not, they already filled with cash, they are not desperate, we just found a reason why they are this entitled, ok, still stand by my rant and find it insulting.

These are the top .01% of their profession people. Nobody else in that situation can't quit their job, make their own schedule or frankly do whatever they want anywhere in the world. Is it an insult to crappy workers everywhere I don't have to go into the office and that I won't be going back in as long as I'm expected to wear a mask? Of course not. Just like when I was in my 20's, I had to clean up diarrhea a few times myself at work.

I'm sure a lot of the players take issue with living in a bubble, AS THEY SHOULD! I am sure some players have their elderly parents living with them, have kids with immune issues, and in some cases some of these players are high risk.

What if next season has parameters the players don't like? Just cancel sports? This was the slope SIlver created...and we could be seeing the slow death of the league here. It's hard to have a functional league when the top guys/wealthiest arent driven by winning. They've gotten a taste of the retired life with zero commitments and are liking it. Why get back to actual responsibility when you don't have to and have media support? It stinks for the fans, but this generation of player seems to outright resent the fact that there are fans. Players arent seeing the big picture, and it's hard to blame them when they have wealth beyond what anyone could imagine. I mean Harden's grandkids grandkids wont have to work. Unless there's a mandate by the commissioner or guys starting getting levied heavy fines, I dont see the league restarting anytime in the next few years.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,211

Post#126 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:37 pm

Billy Goat wrote:What if next season has parameters the players don't like? Just cancel sports? This was the slope SIlver created...and we could be seeing the slow death of the league here. It's hard to have a functional league when the top guys/wealthiest arent driven by winning. They've gotten a taste of the retired life with zero commitments and are liking it. Why get back to actual responsibility when you don't have to and have media support? It stinks for the fans, but this generation of player seems to outright resent the fact that there are fans. Players arent seeing the big picture, and it's hard to blame them when they have wealth beyond what anyone could imagine. I mean Harden's grandkids grandkids wont have to work. Unless there's a mandate by the commissioner or guys starting getting levied heavy fines, I dont see the league restarting anytime in the next few years.

Well, without a doubt the massive amounts of money in the sport has changed the game. From the "Too soon too fast" or whatever it was called era to well, the mega bucks from the last TV deal. Players today in a very short time earn generational wealth and they do so because we fans are idiots and are paying for it (well some of you are...I'm not).

If "we" (the greater we) are willing to pay these guys to be stupid rich as they are then we have to accept this too.

As for how long, that I don't know. Most of us have had to uproot our lives over all of this and most of us have choices to make in this new environment. I haven't seen my parents since this all started. Not that I see them that often, but it's certainly getting to be a bit too long imo and I'm sure their's. I'm not sure when it'll be prudent to go see them. At the same time, I COULD choose to completely isolate and have all food delivered to me (hell even alcohol!), but I am still going to the grocery, liquor stores, and seeing SOME of my friends who are also low risk and are comfortable with it. In doing that I'm also indirectly choose not to see family as I'm now a risk to them.

The point is we all have and are making choices. It always has been the player's choice to keep playing. Just like Keith Van Horn while still an above average nba player decided to walk away from millions of dollars to focus on his family, every player has always had that choice. If the NBA becomes a sport where players are locked into a "campus" for months without being able to leave, I'd be willing to bet a LOT of players would take their rookie deal, make millions, and walk away vs staying. Sucks for fans, but unless we stop watching and/or stop paying for services with the NBA on it, the money dynamic is going to be such that this is an option for them.

Ultimately, this is about personal liberty. Even rich athletes get to make choices with their lives. Just like accountants and lawyers are making choices right now with if they allow clients into their offices or if they're all going to work from home. Just like some people are well off enough to just not work right now.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#127 » by ATRAIN53 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:46 pm

I knew it, as soon as they realized they were being quarantined from women.......

just end the season and start working to prepare for next year.

it sucks but this plan will never work the way they think, no matter how much they plan.
women and money are what fuel these guys
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,878

Post#128 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:51 pm

This thread shows us we aren't that far removed from the Romans and the gladiators. You must risk your health for our entertainment. Embarrassing and appalling.

And the veiled racism isn't very veiled.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Billy Goat
Analyst

Post#129 » by Billy Goat » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:52 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:I knew it, as soon as they realized they were being quarantined from women.......

it sucks but this plan will never work the way they think, no matter how much they plan.

Women probably. Money? They all have money. Days off is what they want.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,491

Post#130 » by Mikistan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:01 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
gabri3l3 wrote:I wish

Inviato dal mio SM-A510F utilizzando Tapatalk

Is this a joke?

Seems like an incredibly stupid comment to willingly want to contract the disease. Even if it's a symptomatic to half the healthy population, there are still people with symptoms and impact on lungs.
We don't have long term data still, and there is no info on any lingering or overall impacts on lung capacity later in life.

Even if it is a joke, it's still incredibly silly to push such a narrative forward.

You want to go risk your health, go do it... And risk everyone else's health that you come in contact with. And then the health of everyone else they come in contact with.

But to push your moral compass/risk appetite onto everyone else is also silly. You sound entitled, or, you've been put in a situation where you've been forced to continue working in public and think because you are forced to then everyone else should too...
You can't live in a bubble the rest of your life. Some people are delirious, thinking in a few months or a year this will be over. It's going to be here forever. Later they'll come up with vaccines and treatments, but you won't be 100% safe. It'll mutate and they'll have to change vaccines.

But we aren't talking about the rest of our lives - This stuff popped off in January/Feb and its only June .... I know people are impatient but again, stop pushing your risk profile and opportunities costs on everyone else.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,592

Post#131 » by LofJ » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:08 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
ATRAIN53 wrote:I knew it, as soon as they realized they were being quarantined from women.......

What heterosexual man in his 20s isn't motivated by women? That's something we all have in common regardless of race or class.
beeshma
Starter
And1: 1,808

Post#132 » by beeshma » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:17 pm

If scientists were more certain about the death rate it would alleviate player concerns.

1000 daily deaths in US equals 365,000 annually. That is only .01% of the US population, with elderly and people with serious medical conditions who are at risk.

Except that death rate is just a figure I made up.
Durant Durant
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,094

Post#133 » by Durant Durant » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:20 pm

just wear a facemask and play!
No no yes yes
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,215

Post#134 » by heatwillbeback » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:27 pm

Should of been limited to only playoff teams...... but no, we had to expose 90 extra players (6 teams) for Zion.
DS17
Sixth Man
And1: 1,375

Post#135 » by DS17 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:32 pm

Domejandro wrote:I have said it before, and I will say it again. It is an absolute disgrace that this is being hosted in the United States of America, our response to COVID-19 has been an unmitigated disaster.

Would you be saying this so strongly if the TIMBERWOLVES were first or second seed?
Billy Goat
Analyst

Post#136 » by Billy Goat » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:55 pm

LofJ wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:

What heterosexual man in his 20s isn't motivated by women? That's something we all have in common regardless of race or class.

Define motivated by women? It’s not like these guys have to work for it.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#137 » by Forte IV » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:58 pm

SF_Warriors wrote:Is it me or does it feel like it will be inevitable that important players will test positive mid series?

I fully expect a very random team to inevitably win the championship because of this
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,222

Post#138 » by NBAFan93 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:58 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Who is actually not playing because of the risk? How much effort the league put into this, at this point the chances of getting sick there are most likely far lesser than getting sick while not playing and doing whatever these players doing. We all know why they dont want to play, because they dont want to be locked in one location they dont want to be, thats it, they found a thing they hate about their job right now and they are flat out quitting, and most likely still getting paid, its insulting to everyone who has ever had a crappy working conditions and didnt quit. And I use crappy working conditions like this NBA plan is terrible working conditions, which is not even.

I give you that most people stuck with their jobs because they dont have other choice, people are desperate. These guys are not, they already filled with cash, they are not desperate, we just found a reason why they are this entitled, ok, still stand by my rant and find it insulting.

These are the top .01% of their profession people. Nobody else in that situation can't quit their job, make their own schedule or frankly do whatever they want anywhere in the world. Is it an insult to crappy workers everywhere I don't have to go into the office and that I won't be going back in as long as I'm expected to wear a mask? Of course not. Just like when I was in my 20's, I had to clean up diarrhea a few times myself at work.

I'm sure a lot of the players take issue with living in a bubble, AS THEY SHOULD! I am sure some players have their elderly parents living with them, have kids with immune issues, and in some cases some of these players are high risk.

What if next season has parameters the players don't like? Just cancel sports? This was the slope SIlver created...and we could be seeing the slow death of the league here. It's hard to have a functional league when the top guys/wealthiest arent driven by winning. They've gotten a taste of the retired life with zero commitments and are liking it. Why get back to actual responsibility when you don't have to and have media support? It stinks for the fans, but this generation of player seems to outright resent the fact that there are fans. Players arent seeing the big picture, and it's hard to blame them when they have wealth beyond what anyone could imagine. I mean Harden's grandkids grandkids wont have to work. Unless there's a mandate by the commissioner or guys starting getting levied heavy fines, I dont see the league restarting anytime in the next few years.

Honestly, unless they are completely faking it, it seems like most of the highly paid generational wealth type of star players don’t feel that way at all and want to play.

But if you do have some guys who have their millions and don’t feel like playing anymore, there’s always the option for them to retire. I’m sure there’s more than enough guys who will happily take their roster spot and salary.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,462

Post#139 » by pipfan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:00 pm

I run a school with about 100 teachers. We are online now, but in August we will be back on campus. If a teacher says "even with the safety precautions, I don't feel safe in returning" I would find a new teacher and let that one go. Sorry, but that's the way it is. Why are these guys different?
otwok
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,327

Post#140 » by otwok » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:05 pm

Not sure why everyone is up and arms. If they don't play they won't pay. So what. They'll have to play eventually, and you aren't going to get replacement players so right now they hold the upper hand. if they are concerned about health, they have every right to. It's not like they are getting paid extra for health risks.

Return to The General Board