Why do people want to cancel rest of the season?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

o0dong
Sophomore
And1: 190

Re: Why do people want to cancel rest of the season? 

Post#141 » by o0dong » Sun May 24, 2020 10:15 am

Bring it to Australia. Our football codes are expecting crowds to be back by July and the most infections we had in a day was 31 for May. Crazy idea but I would love to watch the NBA finals here.

Why cancel when there are viable options.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,886

Post#142 » by Wizardspride » Sun May 24, 2020 10:32 am

chitownsalesmen wrote:So I understand that there is a safety concern with COVID, but what is with people on realgm that don't want basketball this season?

I can appreciate someone who lives with an at risk person not wanting to expose them self to such a viral load but why do posters here not want basketball to see NBA basketball return and I'm not hearing safety concerns mentioned.

My theory based on what I've seen is either people with agendas who don't certain players to achieve success or fans of the bottom of the barrel teams that are just jealous.

What do you guys think?

That's one possibility.

Here's another: Perhaps they're concerned about the health of their fellow man and while they miss sports, don't believe it's worth the "potential" risk.

:dontknow:
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,293

Post#143 » by tribulations » Sun May 24, 2020 10:51 am

Clippers will make sure of this no later than conference finals.
BigtimeNBAfan wrote:90% of them don't want Lebron to win another title. Maybe it is more than that. A long layoff is not a good enough reason to just flat out cancel the season.

Sent from my SM-G977B using RealGM mobile app
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,274

Post#144 » by Nuntius » Sun May 24, 2020 12:32 pm

chitownsalesmen wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
chitownsalesmen wrote:
All for slandering the right but as soon as the sacred calf dems get criticized you had an issue with it. I could be wrong, but thats how it seems you are reacting.

No, I didn't. My politics are far removed from the Democratic Party's politics.

chitownsalesmen wrote:I don't think either political party protected Americans well. American law makers hesitated to act on COVID and when they did they didn't account for the financial burden 30-60 day stay at home orders would, are and will continue to have on the average american, and small businesses. To put this entire crisis at the feet of the trump administration while not wholly incorrect doesn't paint the clear view of how little the Democrats went to bat for the American people in their hour of need.

And this is where we disagree. When a government **** up, I put the blame solely on that government, not in the opposition. The opposition usually doesn't have enough power to alter the government's response. When I criticized the US government for its involvement in the Syrian Civil War, I wasn't criticizing the Republican opposition, I was criticizing the Democratic administration. Criticizing the opposition for the government's response doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah the democrats were purposing and passed pretty weak sauce bills for the average person, while still HUGELY generous to the corporations. Your right we do disagree I'm total glad to blame them for purposing and passing s**t bills despite whatever silliness trump is doing, they could have still done more for the american people even if they where forced by the gop to abandon said bills.

I agree that they proposed some weak ass bills that were still very generous towards corporations (not as much as the Republican bills were but still). As I said before, I wouldn't vote for the Democrats even if I was American. A large part of that party is way too centrist for my liking and if they were a political party over here in Europe, they'd be considered similar to Macron's LREM (La République En Marche!). In other words, they'd be a centrist to centre-right party. The only reason why the Democrats are considered a left-wing party in the US is because the USA's Overton window is skewed very heavily to the right (thanks to McCarthy, the Red Scare and the whole context of the Cold War).

But all that is besides the point I was making. Regardless of how much I disagree with a political party, I realize that the opposition doesn't have the same power that the governing party does. It is the governing party (or the coalition of governing parties, if we're talking about coalition governments) that make the decisions so they are the ones that should be criticized when those decisions turn out to be massive failures.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,968

Post#145 » by dhsilv2 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:31 pm

MikeM wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
MikeM wrote:People want to pretend like their basketball connoisseurs or something but the second the NBA comes back they'd throw their grandma in a covid volcano to watch Giannis vs. Lebron.

Don't give me this BS about 3 months to prepare, 20K fans in the stands, etc. You could hand them the ball tomorrow and have an insanely watchable product. They've been playing ball their whole lives!

I want the nba, not a watchable product. I also don't want to see Lebron or Giannis getting hurt coming back out of shape (though those two might be the only two guys I can't imagine coming in out of shape).

Counter point: Players are tired and hurt all the time going into the playoffs. Now they're not.

But in shape...it's completely different.

I think back to my powerlifting days and think it's a great way to put context on this. One preps for a meet by trying to get into the best possible version of themselves through months of prep normally. Now, do guys get hurt while on this path? I'd argue half of guys do! Just like in the nba, but that's also why so many players and teams take time to rest players down the stretch when possible. But they don't have them stop all together because just like in powerlifting where you have to be at your best just for a day, in the nba you need to be ready to be at your best when the playoffs start.

Now of course that's where everything changes as clearly the nba playoffs are their own marathon and my lifting experience was a day not months. None the less, you don't take 3 months off, get fat, and then go and lift. The same is true with basketball. I don't want to see healthy guys who are out of shape. They're not ready for playoff basketball.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#146 » by dhsilv2 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:37 pm

o0dong wrote:Bring it to Australia. Our football codes are expecting crowds to be back by July and the most infections we had in a day was 31 for May. Crazy idea but I would love to watch the NBA finals here.

Watch infections SKYROCKET if you have 5k people from the US come over for the playoffs lol.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,636

Post#147 » by Billy Goat » Sun May 24, 2020 3:38 pm

If late July is the actual start date then the season should just be cancelled. It's a joke at this point.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,636

Post#148 » by Billy Goat » Sun May 24, 2020 3:39 pm

MikeM wrote:People want to pretend like their basketball connoisseurs or something but the second the NBA comes back they'd throw their grandma in a covid volcano to watch Giannis vs. Lebron.

Don't give me this BS about 3 months to prepare, 20K fans in the stands, etc. You could hand them the ball tomorrow and have an insanely watchable product. They've been playing ball their whole lives!

The MLB, NBA and NHL are all collectively blowing it. MLB especially because they can play outside. No sports on Memorial Day Weekend? Insanity.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#149 » by dhsilv2 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:40 pm

12footrim wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
otwok wrote:Well some players have access to equipment while others don't. Example is those with gym equipment or basketball while under stay at home while others don't. Then there are reports of private practices when those are against guidelines.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Are you seriously going to make this about gym equipment? That's your argument as to why a team that wins the championship will have an asterisk.......

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

No $hit. These are multi millionaires. If Giannis can't order a goal or some work out equipment off amazon or where ever and have it delievered to his house that's on him. I heard the coach of the mid major basketball university I went to talking about all his players finding places to practice and they were spread out all over the country. I have a hard time believing if NBA players wanted to find a hoop or a treadmill and some weights they couldn't or couldn't have them brought to them even.

I know I've heard from some people who don't exactly not have money that they simply couldn't find ANYTHING to buy gym wise when this thing happened as everything was cleared out. Still, for nba players living in skyrise condos you can't exactly put a squat rack and hoop in your condo. That's a pretty common thing for a lot of these players...to live in a few million dollar condo vs a house. So you have that weight equipment got nearly as scarce as toilet paper AND a lot of players live in condos.

Keep in mind what good is in shape giannis if his bench can't play?
JustLucky
Rookie
And1: 711

Post#150 » by JustLucky » Sun May 24, 2020 3:53 pm

If I can work at Walmart for minimum wage they can play NBA games for billions of dollars. Entertainment is essential to mental health
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,269

Post#151 » by mtron929 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:53 pm

o0dong wrote:Bring it to Australia. Our football codes are expecting crowds to be back by July and the most infections we had in a day was 31 for May. Crazy idea but I would love to watch the NBA finals here.

I feel like this is an excellent idea. Places like New Zealand and Australia have pretty much wiped out coronavirus. So why not have minimal staff/players/coaches all migrate to these places, quarantine for 14 days, and then resume the season for like 1-2 months? Seems like a much better option than having the season in Orlando.
o0dong
Sophomore
And1: 190

Post#152 » by o0dong » Mon May 25, 2020 2:49 am

dhsilv2 wrote:

Watch infections SKYROCKET if you have 5k people from the US come over for the playoffs lol.

Test them before they board the flight and quarantine them for 2 weeks after they arrive. Take adequate precautions.

Considering we still have arrivals that come home without any testing and just quarantine for 2 weeks, this can mitigate a lot of the risk. The risk of infection in the USA is much higher so some of the players will be safer in Australia and NZ.

This is all a make believe scenario regardless and the NBA will end up in Orlando or Vegas.
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Post#153 » by chitownsalesmen » Mon May 25, 2020 3:24 am

Nuntius wrote:
chitownsalesmen wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
No, I didn't. My politics are far removed from the Democratic Party's politics.

And this is where we disagree. When a government **** up, I put the blame solely on that government, not in the opposition. The opposition usually doesn't have enough power to alter the government's response. When I criticized the US government for its involvement in the Syrian Civil War, I wasn't criticizing the Republican opposition, I was criticizing the Democratic administration. Criticizing the opposition for the government's response doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah the democrats were purposing and passed pretty weak sauce bills for the average person, while still HUGELY generous to the corporations. Your right we do disagree I'm total glad to blame them for purposing and passing s**t bills despite whatever silliness trump is doing, they could have still done more for the american people even if they where forced by the gop to abandon said bills.

I agree that they proposed some weak ass bills that were still very generous towards corporations (not as much as the Republican bills were but still). As I said before, I wouldn't vote for the Democrats even if I was American. A large part of that party is way too centrist for my liking and if they were a political party over here in Europe, they'd be considered similar to Macron's LREM (La République En Marche!). In other words, they'd be a centrist to centre-right party. The only reason why the Democrats are considered a left-wing party in the US is because the USA's Overton window is skewed very heavily to the right (thanks to McCarthy, the Red Scare and the whole context of the Cold War).

But all that is besides the point I was making. Regardless of how much I disagree with a political party, I realize that the opposition doesn't have the same power that the governing party does. It is the governing party (or the coalition of governing parties, if we're talking about coalition governments) that make the decisions so they are the ones that should be criticized when those decisions turn out to be massive failures.

Right so your ok with blaming the right for this screw ups but your not ok with someone calling the left out.

Typical.
GooniesNeverDie
RealGM
And1: 11,188

Post#154 » by GooniesNeverDie » Mon May 25, 2020 4:37 am

What makes anyone think this pandemic is stopping anytime soon?

Vaccine? Never had one for a Coronavirus but even if they get one, we're another year out.

Herd Immunity? That itself will take a long time and we don't have enough information to determine how long that immunity lasts and other concerns.

China level lockdown? Never happening in NA and we can't be certain if China is even telling the truth.

Either the NBA needs to do their best to ensure safety and play games or just cancel the NBA indefinitely since this pandemic does not have an end date.

We all have to live with this risk now. We all have to make hard choices about work, risk and more just as these NBA players will have to.

Sent from my SM-G960F using RealGM mobile app
GooniesNeverDie
RealGM

Post#155 » by GooniesNeverDie » Mon May 25, 2020 4:39 am

chitownsalesmen wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
chitownsalesmen wrote:

Right so your ok with blaming the right for this screw ups but your not ok with someone calling the left out.

Typical.
Comn, if that's what you got from that post, you're being disingenuous and playing victim.

chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant

Post#156 » by chitownsalesmen » Mon May 25, 2020 4:40 am

GooniesNeverDie wrote:What makes anyone think this pandemic is stopping anytime soon?

Vaccine? Never had one for a Coronavirus but even if they get one, we're another year out.

Herd Immunity? That itself will take a long time and we don't have enough information to determine how long that immunity lasts and other concerns.

China level lockdown? Never happening in NA and we can't be certain if China is even telling the truth.

Either the NBA needs to do their best to ensure safety and play games or just cancel the NBA indefinitely since this pandemic does not have an end date.

We all have to live with this risk now. We all have to make hard choices about work, risk and more just as these NBA players will have to.

;t=186s
GooniesNeverDie
RealGM

Post#157 » by GooniesNeverDie » Mon May 25, 2020 4:46 am

chitownsalesmen wrote:
GooniesNeverDie wrote:What makes anyone think this pandemic is stopping anytime soon?

;t=186s
1) that's still so far out..
2) if it's ready soon, I'm not trusting a vaccine that doesnt have sufficient testing regarding long term side effects.
3) just to scale up testing took forever, probably the same for this

ultimately next season should not happen either if the NBA doesn't want to take the risk.

chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant

Post#158 » by chitownsalesmen » Mon May 25, 2020 5:15 am

GooniesNeverDie wrote:
chitownsalesmen wrote:

;t=186s
1) that's still so far out..
2) if it's ready soon, I'm not trusting a vaccine that doesnt have sufficient testing regarding long term side effects.
3) just to scale up testing took forever, probably the same for this

ultimately next season should not happen either if the NBA doesn't want to take the risk.

Its not as far out as you may think, they have had this particular drug for a while and have been doing challenge trails where they purposely expose Vaccinate patients to a COVID-19 viral load at levels at and above what was found in people who had COVID. The testing has been going on since Feb and should have final testing start in July, so their will still be plenty of testing done on it. while it will be streamlined the drug at the proper dosage has come back perfectly with no side effects and 100% effectiveness at preventing COVID. They are testing the drug pretty extensively and it is not a "new" drug, that they are rushing to market. mRNA vaccines are a huge category of drugs that have been in development since SARS 1, 2003.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nrd.2017.243

if you don't want to take it your more than welcome to no take it, however for some at risk people its a no brainier to take the vaccine. Do you know how many side effects are proven to be in most commonly prescribed drugs? but the reality is for a lot of people they need certain medications and this vaccine is going to be one of those necessary drugs it can save too many lives to not be used.

And for the record it is very clear that the season will resume and next season will start probably around Dec so to fulfill your statement, the nba obviously feels like the risk is worth it along with pretty much every other sports American sports league which all have a huge amount of potential liability open up if stuff where to go wrong so they have a very big reason to be cautious with their approach.
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior
And1: 499

Post#159 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Mon May 25, 2020 6:20 am

Humanity over entertainment. The Roman Circus (pro sports, movies, tv, music, etc) is a power elite societal distraction tool used to keep the attention of a segment of the population while society all around them falls apart.

The NBA would be wise to cancel this season proceed with off season business as they prepare to have a 2020-21 season. The more time the NBA has to prepare for next season the better.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,576

Post#160 » by dautjazz » Mon May 25, 2020 6:31 am

InsideInfo wrote:At this point last year the GSW had already won the Western Conference Final. That is roughly where we should be today.

I personally feel like the window has closed. If you start the season back up how deep into the year is the season going to go? How will it push back next years training camp and and the start of next year?

I want to see next season start on time and get back on the schedule that we have all know.

Why though? It's better for the NBA ratings to start after the NFL season. Other than being used to it starting in October, what's the benifit of having it start in October vs December, especially if you need to sacrifice a playoffs/NBA champion. As a fan I would prefer a season not to go to waste. The only argument to me that makes sense is the health of the players, but we're not going to have a vaccine in October anyways, so would we continue to cancel season after season? I think the NBA's current plan makes the most sense, as much as it may suck.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.

Return to The General Board