Pippen Writing Memoir, Tells His Side of Story

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,762

Re: Pippen Writing Memoir, Tells His Side of Story 

Post#141 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:38 pm

svart wrote:it's funny how many people here are getting defensive and start attacking him even before reading his POV.

i personally think he is right about The Last Dance being an ode to MJ.

But i guess fanboys will be boys, as usual.

Of course the Last Dance was an MJ narrative and production. He had complete rights of what they could show. It was never viewed as anything but honestly. Pippen wants to cash in on it too but it will open him up for scrutiny himself. He has to take that if he is looking for another cash grab which he is. It’s fine too I would do the same but you have to expect the fire.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#142 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:45 pm

DCasey91 wrote:
svart wrote:it's funny how many people here are getting defensive and start attacking him even before reading his POV.

i personally think he is right about The Last Dance being an ode to MJ.

But i guess fanboys will be boys, as usual.

It is I watched it again man the false narratives, the overlooked/glossed over things for pure entertainment and just down right disrespectful stuff towards certain people (RIP Krause they did him real real dirty).

Is it entertaining? Yes. Is it a great documentary, heck no.

No it was purely entertainment. 100% and it was a MJ controlled piece there was never any question in that. Still a fun telling of the story.

I was a Krause supporter to an extent, but he brought this on himself with his hubris. He broke up the team heralding he could rebuild another dynasty. All parties involved both Jerry’s, Phil, MJ and Pip hold responsibility in that car crash of the ending of that team.
wickywack
Junior
And1: 293

Post#143 » by wickywack » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:46 pm

It feels like we might be overanalyzing given that all we have (I think) is a summary with absolutely no quotes:

https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/Unguarded/Scottie-Pippen/9781982165192

Pip was probably my favorite player in the 80s and 90s, but it was quite the rollercoaster.

He had a habit of consistently disappearing in big games in the late 80s. Ejected in a clincher against the Knicks in 89. Knocked out early by an elbow in an elimination game against the Pistons in 89. The migraine in 90. Hard to blame on some of the individual cases, but it just kind of added up into a narrative.

Then he bounced back with outstanding performances against the Pistons and Lakers in the 91 run. Then he seemed to get bullied again by the Knicks in the 92 series. And then killed the Knicks in 93. He had his 1.8s in 94 ... and then almost led the team to victory after that. He infamously sat out the first half of 97-98 to make a point. And then played his heart (and back) out in the last game of the finals. Even after - his Houston year was a disaster, and then he almost led the Blazers past the Lakers the year after.

Maybe that's why I found him so compelling. So much faltering. So much big-time bouncing back.

I have no idea how of the summary is really representative, but:
* I can see why he'd be annoyed by the "sidekick" label. He was a great player in his own right. His cumulative career advanced stats (PER, WS, WS/48, BPM, VORP) are pretty similar to Ewing's. I can see him having a similar career to that elsewhere - many deep playoff runs with a chance of breaking through. That said, I think both he and Ewing would take the 6 championships.
* He actively embraced his role *way* more often than not. The guy was on national TV egging Jordan to return in 95. Pippen wanted to win.
* I don't know if "real leader" is Pippen's phrase, but practically every Bulls teammate talks about how they respected Jordan but *loved* Pippen. Jordan and Pippen had a great bad cop / good cop dynamic. I don't know if Jordan's harsh style would have been as effective without Pippen picking everybody up.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,315

Post#144 » by DCasey91 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:47 pm

All time Playoff Wise:

Rebounds: 1583 (16th)
Assists: 1048 (9th)
Steals: 395 (2nd)
Blocks: 185 (24th)

One of the best defensive wings ever. An 18/7/5/2/1 guy as your second option that does legit everything 1990-2000 Pippen was a stud.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,442

Post#145 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:16 pm

He should write a book if he wants his version of events to be recorded. People acting like he's somehow being petty by writing his own sports book are being ridiculous. Also, I think people are really underestimating how common it is for people to write books who were involved in teams like Pippen was involved in. It's not just a way for him to get back at MJ or Krause, it's a way for him to officially give his take on everything that happened during his career. That's why people generally write these kinds of books. Obviously they make money off of them too but there's nothing wrong with that. Phil's written how many books? Tons of ex nba/nfl/mlb players have written books about their lives.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#146 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:55 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:He should write a book if he wants his version of events to be recorded. People acting like he's somehow being petty by writing his own sports book are being ridiculous. Also, I think people are really underestimating how common it is for people to write books who were involved in teams like Pippen was involved in. It's not just a way for him to get back at MJ or Krause, it's a way for him to officially give his take on everything that happened during his career. That's why people generally write these kinds of books. Obviously they make money off of them too but there's nothing wrong with that. Phil's written how many books? Tons of ex nba/nfl/mlb players have written books about their lives.

The issues are that it is being marketed on a petty premise and capitalizing off of the Last Dance, which is fine but it is what it is. He also has been know to just make a money grab which again is also fine but he doesn’t pull if off smoothly. It’s all fine but Pip not being the most likable chap adds to the fallout. Now say he does a chapter talking about his “no tippin Pippen” image and we all have a good laugh about it, he woukd be more likable, but the man has never admitted a fault and I think that is what brings down the thunder.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#147 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:00 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:Andrew Wiggins has all that athletic ability and tools too. How's it working out for him. You posit that Jordan held Pippen back? I don't think Pippen himself would support that argument. Jordan woke up early and worked out with Pippen and Harper everyday the second three peat. Pippen himself has never claimed he was held back by Jordan. P{open mostly is pouting over the migraine issues and generally folding under the pressure of the pistons and Knicks, and for being called out for purposely putting off his surgery to miss the season and screwing over the last championship team. No one in the world is going to argue that Jordan isn't a prick, well someone would but they can be quickly dismissed, but Pippen might hold the petulant title. All that being said he is still my favorite Bull of all time, but I listened to Charles Barkley when he said that players aren't role models.

I think wiggin's spacial awareness as well as just general IQ is a bit low for being a star. Could be something else, but he doesn't appear to understand where he needs to be nor can he process where he and others are on the floor. That's why Kerr to get use out of him had to make him play a role more often as the primary defender on the ball, it's easier to focus on the ball. Also helps that he's got dray screaming in his ear. Pippen while not the smartest guy himself imo, clearly had the BBIQ to run point and be just flat out deadly as a defender off ball.

I mean, while I get that MJ and the bull were among the first teams to implement weight training in season....I'm not sure that really moved the needle for Pippen's game like it did for MJ.

I'm sure Pippen wouldn't say MJ held him back. But none the less that seems like the most likely scenario if we're to assume any major changes. Pippen was a late bloomer who came into the league not fully developed offensively after growing so fast so late in life. Getting the opportunity to be a bigger focal point on offense could have only allowed him to improve those areas of his game. i'm sure MJ pushed him, but MJ pushed everyone...only Pippen turned out a first ballot hall of famer. Players find guys to mentor and develop them. I struggle to believe MJ was the best choice.

I fully don't believe this book is about this topic...I"m sure it's about what you mentioned. I'm just saying that if Pippen had played elsewhere I believe he'd be viewed as much more of a star player but less of a star resume/career if that makes sense.

Yeah Pippen clearly had more BBIQ than Wiggins did and way more motivation and toughness. The motivation and toughness though is at least partially a credit to Jordan. I was sat down by my older sister and told how impactful the drafting of Pippen was (I was 11) and I followed him religiously. He was soft... I don't think that he becomes a top 50 without MJ. I understand your argument though as I honestly used to argue it (actually a lot in 94 when I would tell people MJ is only worth 2 wins) Still its hard to argue the fact that MJ and the teams they faced (Piston's and Knicks) made Pippen a killer. If he goes to Sacto does he develop like this? I don't think so but that is speculation. Does he do well if he goes to the Lakers and has Magic and Worthy mentoring him? I think so. His early career failures though were hauntingly bad. Watching him just fold was tough. The honed and prime pippin though and may favorite dunk ever, on Ewing. That was a different Pippen though than I think he would have been not playing with MJ. My second favorite dunk is actually Starks dunking on the whole Bulls team. God I miss good rivalries like that.

I honestly liked Pippen on the blazers the most of his career. That was when I realized how good he could have been if he'd been able to develop while still being athletic.

i'm not SURE of it but I think Pippen could have been an MVP peak guy. And I don't like to speculate like that. But he really really had the talent, it's just development and I can't imagine a worse teammate than MJ for pippen.[/quote]

I hear you loud and clear on that.. I would just posit that if Pippen only played with MJ until the first retirement he could have been an MVP after that… I do believe he needed the toughness and work ethic MJ taught him early on. I get feeling raw during the 2nd three-peat as still being considered a jordanaire…. While MJ was hated he did get the most out of guys, Pippen didn’t have that persona, he is more of a Kawhi type talent imho.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#148 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:12 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:

The issues are that it is being marketed on a petty premise and capitalizing off of the Last Dance, which is fine but it is what it is. He also has been know to just make a money grab which again is also fine but he doesn’t pull if off smoothly. It’s all fine but Pip not being the most likable chap adds to the fallout. Now say he does a chapter talking about his “no tippin Pippen” image and we all have a good laugh about it, he woukd be more likable, but the man has never admitted a fault and I think that is what brings down the thunder.

There is no issue imo. He should tell his story. He has every right to do so even if it seems like he is taking advantage of publicity from the last dance. He was an integral part of the nba's biggest dynasty since the 60's while playing alongside possibly the goat player and coach. That in itself is more than enough reason for him to write a book. Plenty of guys who were nothing more than minor or role players in their sport have written books about their lives.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#149 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:23 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

There is no issue imo. He should tell his story. He has every right to do so even if it seems like he is taking advantage of publicity from the last dance. He was an integral part of the nba's biggest dynasty since the 60's while playing alongside possibly the goat player and coach. That in itself is more than enough reason for him to write a book. Plenty of guys who were nothing more than minor or role players in their sport have written books about their lives.

I wore a Pippen shirt to school prolly 2 out 5 days in school and I’ll hands down read his book. I loved him more than MJ. Because of his personality though he is going to receive criticism over it and that is fair. If you or I wrote a book we would get a bunch of WTF’s but we still can do it and it isn’t wrong to do it. You accept the WTF’s and move on and cash your checks (which in my case I would likely owe the publisher money for embarrassing them with the trash I wrote]
magicman1978
Analyst
And1: 2,078

Post#150 » by magicman1978 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:26 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

I doubt anyone has issues with him writing a book - how he's going about marketing the book is petty. Even the summary of the book from the publishers synopsis comes off as petty:

"Simply put, without Pippen, there are no championship banners—let alone six—hanging from the United Center rafters. There’s no Last Dance documentary. There’s no “Michael Jordan” as we know him."

"He discusses what it was like dealing with Jordan on a day-to-day basis, while serving as the real leader within the Bulls locker room." (emphasis on real was directly from the synopsis).
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#151 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:35 pm

magicman1978 wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

I doubt anyone has issues with him writing a book - how he's going about marketing the book is petty. Even the summary of the book from the publishers synopsis comes off as petty:

"Simply put, without Pippen, there are no championship banners—let alone six—hanging from the United Center rafters. There’s no Last Dance documentary. There’s no “Michael Jordan” as we know him."

"He discusses what it was like dealing with Jordan on a day-to-day basis, while serving as the real leader within the Bulls locker room." (emphasis on real was directly from the synopsis).

Yeah the lead is sour grapes, and that needs to be hidden within the story…….. yet if they did that no one would buy it, so marketing it this way will get more sales.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#152 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:35 pm

magicman1978 wrote:

That's called the publisher trying to sell a book. I doubt that's the sole reason Pippen felt like writing it. Publisher's have to do everything they can to get attention to books and get people to buy them.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#153 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:39 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:

I wore a Pippen shirt to school prolly 2 out 5 days in school and I’ll hands down read his book. I loved him more than MJ. Because of his personality though he is going to receive criticism over it and that is fair. If you or I wrote a book we would get a bunch of WTF’s but we still can do it and it isn’t wrong to do it. You accept the WTF’s and move on and cash your checks (which in my case I would likely owe the publisher money for embarrassing them with the trash I wrote]

I think Pippen has his quirks as a person but personality wise he's the one guy everyone from those teams seemed to actually like. He's often portrayed as the big brother in terms of how he'd look after guys and make sure they were ok. So sure he does likely feel he hasn't been given his due over the years but I think he deserves more credit for being a guy who actually worked toward team chemistry and it was more than him just being a great second banana and jack of all trades on the court.
magicman1978
Analyst

Post#154 » by magicman1978 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:43 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
magicman1978 wrote:

That's called the publisher trying to sell a book. I doubt that's the sole reason Pippen felt like writing it. Publisher's have to do everything they can to get attention to books and get people to buy them.

Sure, if you think the publisher did that without first getting Scottie's approval.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#155 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:46 pm

magicman1978 wrote:

Sure, if you think the publisher did that without first getting Scottie's approval.

I do. I think they cut these guys big checks to write these books and then take charge of the marketing of them close to 100%. The same way that movie studios write big checks to actors and then get them to spend 3-4 months promoting them on talk shows and doing hundreds of interviews. There's very few exceptions in both regards. Pippen is going to trust them to sell the book so he can make more money off of it.
magicman1978
Analyst

Post#156 » by magicman1978 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:56 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:
magicman1978 wrote:

I do. I think they cut these guys big checks to write these books and then take charge of the marketing of them close to 100%. The same way that movie studios write big checks to actors and then get them to spend 3-4 months promoting them on talk shows and doing hundreds of interviews. There's very few exceptions in both regards. Pippen is going to trust them to sell the book so he can make more money off of it.

No, that doesn't happen without approval. Generally, the author will write a synopsis for their own book. In this case, I would understand if the publisher did it - however, they would still have the author approve it. Especially in a case like this where it may cause some controversy.
tsirigoj
Rookie
And1: 637

Post#157 » by tsirigoj » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:59 pm

Good riddance, too.

I've been saying FOR YEARS, yes, we glorify Michael Jordan, but Scottie Pippen NEVER gets the love that he deserves. He's likely a top 20 player of all-time.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM

Post#158 » by Cavsfansince84 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:01 pm

magicman1978 wrote:
No, that doesn't happen without approval. Generally, the author will write a synopsis for their own book. In this case, I would understand if the publisher did it - however, they would still have the author approve it. Especially in a case like this where it may cause some controversy.

Honestly, I'd need to actually see the book to have more of an opinion on it but I think there's a good chance that they took over marketing of it 100% and Pippen was like 'sure, whatever you think will sell the most copies'. So I don't think they asked for his express approval of it so much as Pippen had already given them leeway to handle that side of things.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,211

Post#159 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:01 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:I hear you loud and clear on that.. I would just posit that if Pippen only played with MJ until the first retirement he could have been an MVP after that… I do believe he needed the toughness and work ethic MJ taught him early on. I get feeling raw during the 2nd three-peat as still being considered a jordanaire…. While MJ was hated he did get the most out of guys, Pippen didn’t have that persona, he is more of a Kawhi type talent imho.

Pippen played with Jordan until the first retirement, was then a pretty clear top 5 player the year without MJ. The bulls had a tough year to start year two as they lost Grant, EASILY their second best player, and another all time underrated guy. Pippen's stats were still top 5ish level that year though. 96 comes and Pippen was STILL an MVP level guy, he just had MJ at his absolute most cerebral while still athletic enough to destroy people and fully charged after the time off. Then Pippen started with the back stuff and was never the same guy.

Did MJ get the best out of guys? That's always been the problem with that discussion, it's really hard to judge that. We know that modern work places, that style of tyrant manager doesn't work for most people. Maybe it worked for Pippen, but by almost all accounts it was Pippen who kept those teams together in the locker room, despite MJ. Not the other way around. Pippen in a lot of ways developed to complement MJ. He developed into a point forward to fit in next to MJ. He became the best off ball non center likely in NBA history as MJ liked to be the one on one guy in big moments. Pippen became the good cop to MJ's bad cop. A lot of that was just good luck and fit, but a lot was that Pippen had no other choice. Pippen wasn't going to get 25 shots a night not matter how good he got, so he adjusted his game.

I mean as for the Leonard comment, Pippen was a much more vocal leader. But I still think Leonard should have been MVP his last healthy year on the spurs. A lotta people felt his 2019 playoff run was all time level. I think most people have leonard's peak WELL above Pippens....and back to my point, I'm not sure that's right.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,211

Post#160 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:05 pm

magicman1978 wrote:
Cavsfansince84 wrote:
magicman1978 wrote:

By all accounts, Pippen WAS the real leader of the bulls at least off the court which matters a lot. He was the guy who kept the lockerroom together. That isn't really something that I thought was debated and it gets completely left out of the last dance or at least glossed over.

Return to The General Board