Olympiakos>most nba teams

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,156

Re: Olympiakos>most nba teams 

Post#141 » by High 5 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:05 pm

Whateva wrote:
High 5 wrote:I love Childress, but isn't he like the highest paid guy over there? He couldn't even crack the starting lineup of a bad NBA team.

NO, he is not . He is not even the highest paid in his team
you all want to make him look like a superstar in europe, but he is not, he is not even the best player in his team, Vucjcic, Papaloukas, are better than him

ESPN, AJC, NY Times and some other random sites all say he is the highest paid Euroleaguer. Do you have any evidence that says otherwise? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I haven't seen anything to say you're right.

A Euroleague team may be able to sneak up on a team in the preseason when most NBA players are coasting, but let's be real, they're still way behind. Childress is just being nice to the team that has been so good to him, plus it makes him look better if he does well.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,436

Post#142 » by Rasho Brezec » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:18 pm

High 5 wrote:
Whateva wrote:
High 5 wrote:I love Childress, but isn't he like the highest paid guy over there? He couldn't even crack the starting lineup of a bad NBA team.

NO, he is not . He is not even the highest paid in his team
you all want to make him look like a superstar in europe, but he is not, he is not even the best player in his team, Vucjcic, Papaloukas, are better than him

ESPN, AJC, NY Times and some other random sites all say he is the highest paid Euroleaguer. Do you have any evidence that says otherwise? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I haven't seen anything to say you're right.

A Euroleague team may be able to sneak up on a team in the preseason when most NBA players are coasting, but let's be real, they're still way behind. Childress is just being nice to the team that has been so good to him, plus it makes him look better if he does well.

I just read today his contract is worth 20M$ over three seasons. Nachbar's contract is worth 18M€ over three seasons, so Nachbar is the best paid player in Europe, I think. I could give you the source, but you probably wouldn't understand a word of it.
Blackfyre
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,498

Post#143 » by Blackfyre » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:23 pm

Whateva wrote:
Benedict_Boozer wrote:^Crushed eh? The Grizz have guys like Marc Gasol/Rudy Gay/OJ Mayo among others and would be crushed by NBA reject JR Holden and the Eurpoean Powerhouse CSKA Moscow (who recently lost 94-66 to an Orl team that played Dwight Howard less than 30 mins)

Right...

Oh you said Fiba rules, where they can chuck a bunch of 3pt'ers via the closer line and play packed in zone to hide their inability to match up defensively. I guess you are right, under those conditions they might have a chance :roll:

yes, the same CSKA that won by 25 against the Clippers in Moscow, two years ago
the same Maccabi that won against the Raptors in Toronto.

The Grizzlies,Thunder, Wolves, would not win the Euroleauge.
They really won preseason games ? :o
mbucks22
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#144 » by mbucks22 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:32 pm

Olympiakos might be able to get a win in a preseason game, where the players don't really give a damn, but in a regular season or playoff type game, no way. They would be crushed and it would be humiliating.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,371

Post#145 » by MrSparkle » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:39 pm

To be fair, those Red Drops are hottt
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,156

Post#146 » by High 5 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:50 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:I just read today his contract is worth 20M$ over three seasons. Nachbar's contract is worth 18M€ over three seasons, so Nachbar is the best paid player in Europe, I think. I could give you the source, but you probably wouldn't understand a word of it.

The point remains if he's the highest, 2nd highest, or 5th highest.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 968

Post#147 » by mojomarc » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:01 pm

Whateva wrote:
yes, the same CSKA that won by 25 against the Clippers in Moscow,

Just so we're clear, this was a Clippers team playing the second of back-to-back games while 11 hours (or is it 12? I think it's 11) offset from their normal time, playing in the preseason against a rested team that was the defending Euroleague champion that had everything to gain and nothing to lose, and this proves what, exactly? That former NBA players, adjusted to the time and playing a team that is far from fresh and mentally doesn't care a lot about the outcome can steal one?

two years ago

This one is even worse--the Euroleague champion won by 2, in front of a friendly crowd (the reports are that the crowd was primarily Maccabi, and were waving Israeli flags), against an NBA team that was bad enough to get the first overall pick the next season? Yeah, that really proves that the Euros could compete.

I stand by my earlier statement--maybe, if the team is a really dominant Euro team, they could win 20 games if you put them in, say, Columbus, Ohio and made them compete in a regular NBA season. Maybe.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#148 » by FNQ » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:06 pm

The fact this isn't locked goes to show that its becoming more and more credible to compare the Euroleague talent level with the NBA talent level...

However, as its been pointed out by the more calm/BBIQ members, the rules promote different things. In the NBA, guards and driving is promoted. You arent allowed to touch guards, period. No hand check, the smallest bump gets a whistle. Not so in the Euroleague, which is more old school basketball, with a a more physical perimeter mindset. Then you can compare 3pt lines, rules about the key, shape of the key, etc, etc...

But one thing rings true... when a couple of posters start making ridiculous claims about these teams being better than NBA teams now, it weakens the credibility of it and really dilutes the conversation. Instead, half of this stuff is garbage that Sofo is fat (which any non-blind person can tell you) or that Josh Childress left to play in Greece because no one thought he was worth the money here... when the Euroleague's play begins to speak for itself, then it will be time to address it... right now, all this does is strengthen people's beliefs that the Euroleague is an international development league.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,888

Post#149 » by Cammo101 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:02 pm

I like the core of Olympiacos. Papaloukas, Childress, Greer, and Vujicic is a nice core for a Euro team. But, lets be real, they would be the worst team in the league by a large margin if they played in the NBA.

CSKA Moscow, who will be the best team in Europe this year, just got destroyed by the Magic where their bug men got absolutely exposed. And that is a team with better, tougher bigs than Olympiacos.
Whateva
Pro Prospect
And1: 62

Post#150 » by Whateva » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:48 am

Kobe8Player wrote:
Whateva wrote:
Benedict_Boozer wrote:^Crushed eh? The Grizz have guys like Marc Gasol/Rudy Gay/OJ Mayo among others and would be crushed by NBA reject JR Holden and the Eurpoean Powerhouse CSKA Moscow (who recently lost 94-66 to an Orl team that played Dwight Howard less than 30 mins)

Right...

Oh you said Fiba rules, where they can chuck a bunch of 3pt'ers via the closer line and play packed in zone to hide their inability to match up defensively. I guess you are right, under those conditions they might have a chance :roll:

yes, the same CSKA that won by 25 against the Clippers in Moscow, two years ago

The Grizzlies,Thunder, Wolves, would not win the Euroleauge.
They really won preseason games ? :o

Obviously. HOw else ?
How could the win regular season games, if they are not part of the NBA ? :crazy:
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,266

Post#151 » by tmorgan » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:09 pm

Just remember, folks, the OP is the same goofy guy that came to the Pistons board and proclaimed Alex Acker was better than half of our roster...

...after Olympiakos signed him, which was after the Pistons let him go.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,910

Post#152 » by CBS7 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:52 pm

It's funny how he said everyone on the Bulls is garbage but Deng and he's defending Childress to no end.

Return to The General Board