The OFFICIAL rookie impressions thread pt.III

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,163

Re: The OFFICIAL rookie impressions thread pt.III 

Post#1441 » by Dame Lizard » Mon Apr 1, 2013 11:44 pm

Meyers Leonard is a funny one. He's got really good range and FT shooting ability, but despite being a 7 foot athletically gifted centre, he doesn't have the corresponding rebounding and shot blocking game. It gets to the point that I'm more excited when he grabs a rebound than when he hits a 15 foot jumper. And when he blocks a shot, I'm out of my seat!

His ceiling is incredibly high, but I don't think he'll reach it. I think he'll pan out being a Marcin Gortat calibre player. Very solid starter (and maybe 1 or 2 time all star), but not elite.

I really hope he can improve his shot blocking and rebounding (it's mainly about positioning for him), because he's got such a great skill-set offensively. He's got size, athleticism, great offensive fundamentals and a high work ethic so I'm keen to see how he pans out.

He was a guard up until high school when he grew 5 inches in a single year, and then became a centre. So that's most likely a big reasoning behind his good offence and bad defence. He's a project and very exciting to watch- for good and bad reasons lol!
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,238
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#1442 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Apr 1, 2013 11:50 pm

A lot of times people over project a "big man" for what he could do defensively based on pure height and athleticism. Meyers is pretty athletic for a 7' guy, but his 9'0 standing reach is nothing special at all, and it's not a surprise that he's not a huge shot blocker or rebounder.

Then again, this year's draft class seems to be ridiculously off in terms of standing reach for the big men. Point is, he's tall, but not ridiculously long (7'3 wingspan), so it's not a huge shock that he's not a big presence on that side.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,352

Post#1443 » by Shem » Mon Apr 1, 2013 11:56 pm

Dame Lizard wrote:Meyers Leonard is a funny one. He's got really good range and FT shooting ability, but despite being a 7 foot athletically gifted centre, he doesn't have the corresponding rebounding and shot blocking game. It gets to the point that I'm more excited when he grabs a rebound than when he hits a 15 foot jumper. And when he blocks a shot, I'm out of my seat!

The thing is neither is LaMarcus Aldridge. But to LMA's credit, he's decent in those areas, just not dominate, which is why I see Leonard as a bad fit next to LMA. However, LMA has a history of playing next to a dominate rebounder which may have led to not having dominate rebounding numbers and I've seen him step up in that area when his front court teammate goes down.

But to rely on someone picking up the slack isn't something I would want worry about.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
sir G Wallace
Banned User
And1: 73

Post#1444 » by sir G Wallace » Tue Apr 2, 2013 12:06 am

Leonard is athletic in terms of his jumping and running but absolutely sucks in lateral movement. This is why he gets abused on defense and cant sneak in for quick rebounding position.
BackseatBoss
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,269

Post#1445 » by BackseatBoss » Tue Apr 2, 2013 1:20 am

JV with 17 points (8-14 FG's, 1-2 FT's), 6 rebounds and 5 blocks. Completely outplayed Drummond.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA64NLZ3q-s[/youtube]
Laure
Starter
And1: 3,068

Post#1446 » by Laure » Tue Apr 2, 2013 1:38 am

'Outplayed' is a strong word. They even out on the season matchup. Going to be an interesting one moving forward.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#1447 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Apr 2, 2013 1:41 am

Laure wrote:'Outplayed' is a strong word. They even out on the season matchup. Going to be an interesting one moving forward.

This, and good sh* for being a raps fans, val had a good game, but moose was beasting. one thing about val that is underrated is his rebounding.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,241

Post#1448 » by SOUL » Tue Apr 2, 2013 2:53 am

Harkless with 28/6
Shem
RealGM

Post#1449 » by Shem » Tue Apr 2, 2013 3:15 am

Lillard beat Curry's rookie record for 3-pointers in a season tonight.
April 4, 2014:

Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant

Post#1450 » by Dame Lizard » Tue Apr 2, 2013 3:15 am

Shem wrote:
Dame Lizard wrote:Meyers Leonard is a funny one. He's got really good range and FT shooting ability, but despite being a 7 foot athletically gifted centre, he doesn't have the corresponding rebounding and shot blocking game. It gets to the point that I'm more excited when he grabs a rebound than when he hits a 15 foot jumper. And when he blocks a shot, I'm out of my seat!

The thing is neither is LaMarcus Aldridge. But to LMA's credit, he's decent in those areas, just not dominate, which is why I see Leonard as a bad fit next to LMA. However, LMA has a history of playing next to a dominate rebounder which may have led to not having dominate rebounding numbers and I've seen him step up in that area when his front court teammate goes down.

But to rely on someone picking up the slack isn't something I would want worry about.

I agree.

Leonard is a good match with someone like Favors, who although is a PF, plays and blocks shots like a C. An elite defensive PF would average out Leonard's defensive weaknesses.
Brapman
Starter
And1: 443

Post#1451 » by Brapman » Tue Apr 2, 2013 3:15 am

1st back to back game coming back from injury: Drummond looked dead legged tonight. Outplayed by V.

I'm going out on a limb here right now, because it is too early in his career, but:

Add to the impressive draft/rookie class of 2012-13: Kris Middleton. That kid has game. I don't know for sure if he'll get the opportunity in Detroit, but I'm telling you guys, this kid looks like he could be excellent. He's long, and he's got outstanding all around offensive ability. I also think he does a credible job defensively.

If the Pistons are smart, they will draft a PG in this draft, and they'll look to improve their backcourt depth and their backup PF/C play in FA and in trades with their cap space - and they'll leave SF alone, as I think Singler can play and that Middleton could take over that position from Singler.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant

Post#1452 » by Dame Lizard » Tue Apr 2, 2013 3:24 am

Saint Nicolas wrote:Harkless with 28/6

I can't get over how out of the blue Orlando's rebuild has just fallen into place.

It was a general concencus that Orlando would be going through several years of rebuilding, but nope, suddenly Harris, Harkless and Vucevic look like absolute studs.

If you guys could draft a PG like Trey Burke, things will be very exciting over the next few years.
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#1453 » by Hendrix » Tue Apr 2, 2013 3:55 am

Another nice game from Jonas

Over last 13 games

13.6 points 7.6 rebounds, 1.7 blocks, .740ts% in 30 minutes

or Per 36

16.7 points, 9.2 rebounds, 2.2 Blocks, .740ts%

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSGOEpvva5o[/youtube]
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
BackseatBoss
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,269

Post#1454 » by BackseatBoss » Tue Apr 2, 2013 5:01 am

Laure wrote:'Outplayed' is a strong word. They even out on the season matchup. Going to be an interesting one moving forward.

I don't get it, Jonas finishes with a good game, Drummond looked really bad this time, so how did he not perform better? We all know damn well if it was the other way around people would be screaming over each other how Andre's on a completely different level than Jonas, who at best will be a decent starter.
Casey Jonas
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#1455 » by Casey Jonas » Tue Apr 2, 2013 5:05 am

Valanciunas > Drummond.

People were surprised by Drummond for beasting early, but that was actually to be expecting. He's a physical freak whose already maxed out size wise. People keep talking about his upside, but his ceiling is actually limited. He has no real post game, and he can't hit free throws. His offense will solely be dunks, alleys, and putbacks, and that is limiting. His D is also very hit and miss, though the big plays still make him a game changer.

Ultimately I see Drummond as a 12 and 12 type, with 2-3 blocks, a bunch of steals, but awful FT shooting and mental lapses all over the court. I see him as more DeAndre Jordan than prime D12, AD doesn't have Howards shoulder girth to gain seperation on those baby hooks.

Jonas I see as an 18 and 10 type, with great energy, good D, and all the intangibles. I'd gamble on Jonas. Give him an offseason to add strength and having a year of North American ball under his belt and I think he's going to explode on the NBA next year. Just watch.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,558

Post#1456 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Apr 2, 2013 5:16 am

Casey Jonas wrote:Valanciunas > Drummond.

People were surprised by Drummond for beasting early, but that was actually to be expecting. He's a physical freak whose already maxed out size wise. People keep talking about his upside, but his ceiling is actually limited. He has no real post game, and he can't hit free throws. His offense will solely be dunks, alleys, and putbacks, and that is limiting. His D is also very hit and miss, though the big plays still make him a game changer.

Ultimately I see Drummond as a 12 and 12 type, with 2-3 blocks, a bunch of steals, but awful FT shooting and mental lapses all over the court. I see him as more DeAndre Jordan than prime D12, AD doesn't have Howards shoulder girth to gain seperation on those baby hooks.

Jonas I see as an 18 and 10 type, with great energy, good D, and all the intangibles. I'd gamble on Jonas. Give him an offseason to add strength and having a year of North American ball under his belt and I think he's going to explode on the NBA next year. Just watch.

Remind me why his ceiling is lower? Because he hasn't had the benefit of playing professional ball at a high school age? Why does Jonas suddenly get awarded the intangibles tag? What has he done to show he's a leader? Your size argument is fatally flawed. Its not about being big, its about utilizing your strength to its max potential. Drummond has not done that yet, hasn't even scratched the surface. There is no reason for him to shoot a turn around jumper within 4 feet because he has the potential to just dunk that in. Skill can be taught, size and athleticism cannot. If that was the case, you guys should just cut your losses and trade Ross.
sabi
Lead Assistant
And1: 27

Post#1457 » by sabi » Tue Apr 2, 2013 5:22 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:A lot of times people over project a "big man" for what he could do defensively based on pure height and athleticism. Meyers is pretty athletic for a 7' guy, but his 9'0 standing reach is nothing special at all, and it's not a surprise that he's not a huge shot blocker or rebounder.

Then again, this year's draft class seems to be ridiculously off in terms of standing reach for the big men. Point is, he's tall, but not ridiculously long (7'3 wingspan), so it's not a huge shock that he's not a big presence on that side.

Meyers may never be an elite shot blocker with his standing reach but that doesn't necessarily limit his rebounding potential.
Prodigy73 wrote:
fredericklove wrote:Chill out, bro. Things will get better when we face the next 3 games in Nets, Mavs and Rockets, relax, chill.

If we go 0-3 during that Imma chillllllllllllll
Shem
RealGM

Post#1458 » by Shem » Tue Apr 2, 2013 5:24 am

Lillard's record breaking 3-pointer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGdpQK0idMM[/youtube]
April 4, 2014:

Casey Jonas
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#1459 » by Casey Jonas » Tue Apr 2, 2013 5:27 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:

Remind me why his ceiling is lower? Because he hasn't had the benefit of playing professional ball at a high school age? Why does Jonas suddenly get awarded the intangibles tag? What has he done to show he's a leader? Your size argument is fatally flawed. Its not about being big, its about utilizing your strength to its max potential. Drummond has not done that yet, hasn't even scratched the surface. There is no reason for him to shoot a turn around jumper within 4 feet because he has the potential to just dunk that in. Skill can be taught, size and athleticism cannot. If that was the case, you guys should just cut your losses and trade Ross.

His ceiling is limited because has no offensive game and can't hit his free throws. How many all time bad FT shooters turn themselves into good FT shooters?

And watch Jonas play. He's a 7'1" Joakim Noah with an offensive game. The intangibles are obvious. Drummond fell in the draft because of concerns about his intangibles.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,558

Post#1460 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Apr 2, 2013 5:36 am

Casey Jonas wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:

His ceiling is limited because has no offensive game and can't hit his free throws. How many all time bad FT shooters turn themselves into good FT shooters?

And watch Jonas play. He's a 7'1" Joakim Noah with an offensive game. The intangibles are obvious. Drummond fell in the draft because of concerns about his intangibles.

Who says you have to be a good free throw shooter to succeed in the NBA? So that's why Ben Wallace, Shaq, Rodman, Wilt are out of the league. Makes sense. And unlike all those other guys, he has good form and little to no hitch. He's going to improve in that area.

And that comparison is going to make you look like a homer man. Jonas's defensive presence, passing, rebounding aren't at Noah's level.

Return to The General Board