Execs give Houston a good shot at Lebron

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,710

Re: Execs give Houston a good shot at Lebron 

Post#151 » by WarriorGM » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:29 am

So everyone in this thread is cool with Durant then? I haven't seen the word "parity" mentioned once yet.

Good. Let the goliaths do battle.
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#152 » by Young_Star11 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:41 am

The Rockets would undoubtedly look to sort out an "opt-in" trade like they did with CP3 back in June.

They won't have as many trade assets as they had to trade with LA, as they had could send away a starter on a cheap contract (Beverley), expiring/6MOY contender (Lou Williams), a first and two young players on rookie deals (Harrell/Dekker).

Then they'll find players willing to play for less money.
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#153 » by Boarder Patrol » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:44 am

WarriorGM wrote:So everyone in this thread is cool with Durant then? I haven't seen the word "parity" mentioned once yet.

This move increases parity in a sense though. 2 actual contenders vs. 1. I don't think people care about all 30 teams being around the same more about there being multiple legit contenders.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,336

Post#154 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:48 am

Although the east gets easier if he goes, I’m not going to have much respect left for James if he moves to title hunt again to make it easier. Just the way I feel about it.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,046

Post#155 » by Sark » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:34 am

Johnny Bball wrote:Although the east gets easier if he goes, I’m not going to have much respect left for James if he moves to title hunt again to make it easier. Just the way I feel about it.

2 times is ok but 3 is bad?
ubernathan
Veteran
And1: 548

Post#156 » by ubernathan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:54 am

It would be a great team if he did, but I wonder how it would work under the cap. Ryan Anderson would have a historic season if he could stay on a team with Harden, Paul, and Lebron.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,625

Post#157 » by baldur » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:58 am

Johnny Bball wrote:Although the east gets easier if he goes, I’m not going to have much respect left for James if he moves to title hunt again to make it easier. Just the way I feel about it.

He will just have to beat the Warriors in the conference finals, not in the nba finals.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,725

Re: RE: Re: Execs give Houston a good shot at Lebron 

Post#158 » by Clay Davis » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:13 am

Sark wrote:

2 times is ok but 3 is bad?

2 is bad 3 is even worse

Sent from my SGH-I337M using RealGM mobile app
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,294

Post#159 » by tribulations » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:39 am

It's like the first Bron sweepstakes all over again.

Heck even Dallas was considered a chance last time, and the Knicks were among the favourites.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#160 » by tidho » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:23 pm

WarriorGM wrote:So everyone in this thread is cool with Durant then? I haven't seen the word "parity" mentioned once yet.

Wow, miss the point much?

This conversation is a ramification of what Durant did. No one that had an issue with it is going to now be cool with it, because the doom and gloom folks reasoned with has come to fruition - i.e. its as bad as we thought it would be.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,710

Post#161 » by WarriorGM » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:50 pm

tidho wrote:

Wow, miss the point much?

This conversation is a ramification of what Durant did. No one that had an issue with it is going to now be cool with it, because the doom and gloom folks reasoned with has come to fruition - i.e. its as bad as we thought it would be.

It's a ramification of how good LeBron and Durant are that whatever move they make they are capable of upsetting the balance of power in the league. I mean really if the Thunder had managed things well they could have had a team with Durant, Harden and Westbrook today. If they chose to get together again right now wouldn't the people who freaked out when Durant joined the Warriors be freaking out the same way? But it already happened organically so what would be the fuss?

LeBron with the Cavs was playing with two franchise level players in Kyrie and Kevin Love and still is when Isaiah comes back. LeBron on the Rockets would have 2 top five players (#1 and #2 if you believe the Ringer) and arguably 3 top ten players. But, but, but, Durant! Give it a rest. I say bring it on.
Moahst
Senior
And1: 652

Post#162 » by Moahst » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:14 pm

I'm less worried about making LeBron's max contract fit into Houston's roster than I am about Lebron actually wanting to play for the Rockets. It's hard to even imagine him leaving the Eastern Conference. If he's trying to win, why would Lebron actively chose to face the Warriors before the finals?
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,725

Post#163 » by bmurph128 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:12 pm

Spurs make more sense IMO. Kawhi perfectly complements LeBron. Doesn't need the ball and can completely shut down the other team's best offensive player. Can also do a bulk of the scoring.

Would also be the best wing pairing since Jordan/Pippen, and arguably the best duo in NBA history. With one of the best coaches.

And I think they would have the cap to make it work if they get flexible. If the Cavs fail to beat the Warriors this year and that's his only goal, the Spurs would be the best bet IMO.
yesh
Rookie
And1: 1,864

Post#164 » by yesh » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:40 pm

He'll need more help.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#165 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:01 pm

I have full faith Morey could pull it off. He has to get rid of Gordon and Anderson. Gordon would be easy to trade. Anderson will be harder, and teams aren't lining up to take him as Rockets fans think. But if LeBron is coming you give out picks to get rid of Anderson. I think people are seriously underrating how good a trio of Harden, LeBron, CP3 would be. LeBron with a team playing five out would be able to blow by his man every time. Harden is already doing it.
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,382

Post#166 » by red96 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:01 pm

Moahst wrote:I'm less worried about making LeBron's max contract fit into Houston's roster than I am about Lebron actually wanting to play for the Rockets. It's hard to even imagine him leaving the Eastern Conference. If he's trying to win, why would Lebron actively chose to face the Warriors before the finals?

A lot of people post that, but I don't really understand that logic. LeBron would have to face the Warriors either way. Playing them in the Finals doesn't improve his chances over playing them in the WCF. The bill is due whether you pay it on a lunch break, or after work.
What actually matters is the talent level of the team he has to battle the Warriors with. In the late 90's and early 2000's the nba champs were determined by the WCF. Thats what LeBron to Houston would re-create, and he'd be on the best team, with the best coach he's ever had, with(almost) as many bff he'd want to play and win with.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,382

Post#167 » by red96 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:13 pm

tribulations wrote:It's like the first Bron sweepstakes all over again.

Heck even Dallas was considered a chance last time, and the Knicks were among the favourites.

Sesame Street Test Time: Which of these is not like the other?

2017 Lakers
2017 Sixers
2017 Clippers
2009 Bulls
2009 Knicks
2009 Nets
2017 Rockets

The Mavs weren't in the runnings.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,975

Post#168 » by INKtastic » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:13 pm

This thread still going on? Even if you ignore that LeBron is committed to the children in Akron, there's this issue

James harden $30 million
Chris Paul $29 million cap hold
LeBron James 36 million

That's 95 million not counting 9 minimum salary roster space cap holds when the salary cap is 101 million. They have to trade or renounce every non minimum salary player on their roster and still would come up short in cap space.

LeBorn is on the deepest team of his career with two all star teammates. Is he leaving that to go to a gutted team? Is he taking a pay cut?

Why do that vs staying on the deepest team he's ever played on. A team where he also has 2 all-star teammates?
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,393

Post#169 » by Jody Smokz » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:13 pm

I've never understood this line of thinking. On this current Rockets team he'd have a real chance to beat the Dubs. On the current Cavs team it doesn't matter if they get to the Finals again, they are getting waxed. Doesn't matter when you play the team just matters that you BEAT them. Knock off the Dubs and they more than likely beat whoever is coming out of the East anyway.

Moahst wrote:I'm less worried about making LeBron's max contract fit into Houston's roster than I am about Lebron actually wanting to play for the Rockets. It's hard to even imagine him leaving the Eastern Conference. If he's trying to win, why would Lebron actively chose to face the Warriors before the finals?

gmoney411
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,822

Post#170 » by gmoney411 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:35 pm

INKtastic wrote:This thread still going on? Even if you ignore that LeBron is committed to the children in Akron, there's this issue

James harden $30 million
Chris Paul $29 million cap hold
LeBron James 36 million

That's 95 million not counting 9 minimum salary roster space cap holds when the salary cap is 101 million. They have to trade or renounce every non minimum salary player on their roster and still would come up short in cap space.

LeBorn is on the deepest team of his career with two all star teammates. Is he leaving that to go to a gutted team? Is he taking a pay cut?

Why do that vs staying on the deepest team he's ever played on. A team where he also has 2 all-star teammates?

The Rockets won't have to gut their team. Anderson and Gordon gets you to $34MM. They can also try various Clint sign and trade scenarios.

Return to The General Board