Sam Hinkie's trades get even getter

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

seren
RealGM
And1: 4,333

Re: RE: Re: Sam Hinkie's trades get even getter 

Post#161 » by seren » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:45 pm

jbent87 wrote:
seren wrote:No reason to hate on Sam Hinkie. No reason to give undeserved praise either. I would take Hinkie over guys like Divac for sure but he is nowhere near the universe of managements (whose names I don't mostly know which should be the point of leadership in my view) of teams like San Antonio or Golden State.

Credit is where credit is due: Hinkie provided many tools for Philly that they can use to build in the future. But don't confuse that with actually building something.

Sent from my XT1575 using RealGM mobile app

he got ran out before he could see Embiid take the court and build around him. Because of short sighted agenda driven nonsense. He is being vindicated here literally by the day with every horrific trade the Kings make and every FO combustion that occurs in all of these crap teams who aren't in the playoff race.

If he set this team up so well with all of these pieces and players why is so insane to think that he could have arranged the pieces to compliment Joel Embiid and build a championship level team? Because it didnt happen in the three years he was here? How dare he!

He saw how to bring a superstar in via the Harden to HOU trade. It was simply a matter of time until that happened. But the general public felt it took long enough and his time was up. Here we are.

Forget about others. How much did Hinkie trust his Embiid pick himself? What do you make of his Okafor pick if Hinkie was so sure of Embiid?

Personally I don't see Hinkie as someone capable of building a team. More like a guy who can make good deals.

The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,060

Re: Sam Hinkie's trades get even getter 

Post#162 » by The_Hater » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:46 pm

seren wrote:No reason to hate on Sam Hinkie. No reason to give undeserved praise either. I would take Hinkie over guys like Divac for sure but he is nowhere near the universe of managements (whose names I don't mostly know which should be the point of leadership in my view) of teams like San Antonio or Golden State.

Credit is where credit is due: Hinkie provided many tools for Philly that they can use to build in the future. But don't confuse that with actually building something.

You can't have very much foresight if you're actually concluding that he never built anything.

It's incredible how narrow minded some peoples views are of NBA teams. 1. Count the number of wins In the current season. 2. Make your assessment based on that.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
seren
RealGM

Post#163 » by seren » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:55 pm

The_Hater wrote:

You can't have very much foresight if you're actually concluding that he never built anything.

It's incredible how narrow minded some peoples views are of NBA teams. 1. Count the number of wins In the current season. 2. Make your assessment based on that.

What? Seriously? When did I say anything about winning x amount of games? Noel, Embiid, Okafor. Three players Hinkie chose with lottery picks. Three players out of whom you can only play one at a time. His last pick was just sent home recently while the team is in trade talks. Another one is due a big raise soon so the team will either have to lose or keep is a well paid injury backup. I am sorry but I am not impressed. As I said, even Hinkie didn't believe in what he was doing which clearly shows with Okafor draft.

John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,483

Post#164 » by John Murdoch » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:00 pm

Casual fans viewed Hinkie the same way the middle class view people on welfair
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
The_Hater

Post#165 » by The_Hater » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:23 pm

seren wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

What? Seriously? When did I say anything about winning x amount of games? Noel, Embiid, Okafor. Three players Hinkie chose with lottery picks. Three players out of whom you can only play one at a time. His last pick was just sent home recently while the team is in trade talks. Another one is due a big raise soon so the team will either have to lose or keep is a well paid injury backup. I am sorry but I am not impressed. As I said, even Hinkie didn't believe in what he was doing which clearly shows with Okafor draft.

I wish people would stop with the 'he took 3 bigs' argument. You aren't married to every draft pick you make, you can trade guys. The most important part of all his drafts is he landed Embiid and Simmons, 2 potential superstars. On top of that he made trades which netted a bunch more lottery picks and has tons of assets on rookie contracts including Okafor and Noel.

All good players eventually get 'big raises'. Are you actually using that as part of your critic? That he picked a good player and now he had to pay him? Would he have been better off drafting Trey Burke instead of Noel? That guy isn't due for a big raise. Good logic.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#166 » by shawn_hemp » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:30 pm

Seren is clearly either jealous or just genuinely doesn't appreciate the moves Hinkie made

Probably the same dude who was bashing the Knicks taking Porzingis on draft night

Now it's a travesty the Sixers didn't draft him

Even though Porzingis made it clear he did NOT want to play for the Sixers (ironically enough, because he thought the team was dysfunctional. Have fun in New York...)

Okafor isn't even a bad player, he just has a pretty narrow skill set.

I don't like using this term because it seems kind of childish, but this entire debate is stupid.

People who understand what is on the horizon appreciate Hinkie

People who only see the past don't

Which side are you on?
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 7,052

Post#167 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:40 pm

seren wrote:Forget about others. How much did Hinkie trust his Embiid pick himself? What do you make of his Okafor pick if Hinkie was so sure of Embiid?

Personally I don't see Hinkie as someone capable of building a team. More like a guy who can make good deals.

To be fair, Hinkie and everyone knew Embiid was a high-risk, high-reward pick. Even if he was sure of Embiid's skills, his health was a definite risk. No individual lottery pick is guaranteed to be a superstar no matter how good a scout you are, Hinkie's strategy was to acquire a lot of picks to maximize their chances at getting at least 1 or more star. Some of the rewards have yet to be reaped either, with Simmons yet to play and multiple lottery picks in play in the next couple of years. With just a little luck, Sixers could have 2 of the top 4 picks in the next draft, and I believe have a pick coming from the Kings later.

None of this makes him a genius or necessarily all-time great GM, but his run did turn out to be pretty successful.
The_Hater

Post#168 » by The_Hater » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:51 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
seren wrote:Forget about others. How much did Hinkie trust his Embiid pick himself? What do you make of his Okafor pick if Hinkie was so sure of Embiid?

To be fair, Hinkie and everyone knew Embiid was a high-risk, high-reward pick. Even if he was sure of Embiid's skills, his health was a definite risk. No individual lottery pick is guaranteed to be a superstar no matter how good a scout you are, Hinkie's strategy was to acquire a lot of picks to maximize their chances at getting at least 1 or more star. Some of the rewards have yet to be reaped either, with Simmons yet to play and multiple lottery picks in play in the next couple of years. With just a little luck, Sixers could have 2 of the top 4 picks in the next draft, and I believe have a pick coming from the Kings later.

None of this makes him a genius or necessarily all-time great GM, but his run did turn out to be pretty successful.

But it's not even this. Good GM's don't draft by position, they draft the BPA. And Okafor who was supposed to be the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft looked like the BPA at #3. On draft night the Lakers were criticized for picking Russell ahead of him and the Knicks were criticized for taking the skinny white guy at 4. Nobody was criticizing the Sixers.

If the flip side of the argument is that he should have drafted a perimeter player to balance the roster. The next 3 perimeter guystaken were Hezonja, who cant get off the bench in Orlando. Mudiay, who has gotten minutes while looking wretched in Denver and Stanley Johnson who plays sparingly in Detroit. Unless he had the foresight to know that Booker wasn't the 13th best player but the 3rd best, he didn't miss out on anything really.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,819

Post#169 » by baldur » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:58 pm

That sac deal was great. And hinkie did a great job by getting potential two unprotected picks from a lottery bound team. But I don't think he foresaw vivek would be such dumb and dump cousins for this terrible package. So trades getting better is not what hinkie succeeded. Just kings management sucked.
seren
RealGM

Post#170 » by seren » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:59 pm

shawn_hemp wrote:Seren is clearly either jealous or just genuinely doesn't appreciate the moves Hinkie made

Probably the same dude who was bashing the Knicks taking Porzingis on draft night

Now it's a travesty the Sixers didn't draft him

Even though Porzingis made it clear he did NOT want to play for the Sixers (ironically enough, because he thought the team was dysfunctional. Have fun in New York...)

Okafor isn't even a bad player, he just has a pretty narrow skill set.

I don't like using this term because it seems kind of childish, but this entire debate is stupid.

People who understand what is on the horizon appreciate Hinkie

People who only see the past don't

Which side are you on?

I am sorry but I am simply not impressed. Don't get me wrong I am truly thankful for KP. It was a gift from Hinkie. Arguments like "you are not married to your picks" or "not every pick will turn out great" just tells me that Hinkie had no idea what he was doing. Go and read his quotes on why he drafted Okafor (his peers liked him) shows me he just is not a basketball mind and he simply goes for consensus. I think for the position he held, you do need more than that. I am simply not impressed by guys who just collect "assets". I keep reading how guy X cleared this much cap space how guy Y collected these many draft picks. At the end of the day, you do need to put them to a meaningful use. That is why I find a move like Kawhi Leonard acquisition and consequent development as far more impressive than trading say MCW for a draft pick before he imploded. First one actually involves a process so to speak.

shawn_hemp
Starter

Post#171 » by shawn_hemp » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:17 pm

You seem to be killing the one bad decision Hinkie made in hindsight and conveniently ignoring all the good decisions he made that were toss-ups at the time he made them.

You're Captain Hindsight, except only for one specific thing

Okafor wasn't the best pick

Is there any other point you have to make besides that?

You say he hasn't built anything

I've said multiple times it's because you can't look literally a season ahead. You are looking at the team right this second.

You're wrong. I'm not even a Hinkie fan boy, but you're just wrong bud.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,449
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#172 » by E-Balla » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:05 am

This thread is hilarious. Philly has been rebuilding for 4 years and they're still far from being good in any way, shape, or form. Maybe their assets turn into something but its far from a foregone conclusion and taking advantage of Sacramento ain't hard.

I can definitely say Hinkie wasn't the guy to build a team. Its not hard to lose games, have a spotty draft record (the 2nd best pick he's made so far looks like Willy and he sent him to NY), and win obvious trades. Its hard to build a team that can compete.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,244

Post#173 » by Sixerscan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:19 am

baldur wrote:That sac deal was great. And hinkie did a great job by getting potential two unprotected picks from a lottery bound team. But I don't think he foresaw vivek would be such dumb and dump cousins for this terrible package. So trades getting better is not what hinkie succeeded. Just kings management sucked.

I guarantee that if you can go back to the thread on the Sixers board from when the Kings trade happened, you will find people speculating that the Kings would eventually make some dumb move with Cousins. At the very least that he was an unrestricted free agent in 2018 and we were potentially getting an unprotected 2019 pick. Wasn't exactly unforeseeable.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,575

Post#174 » by Michael Lucky » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:21 am

The NBA is going to have give Phi their own Farm system at this rate.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,653

Post#175 » by Dr Aki » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:31 am

Fresh360Waves wrote:I always had the feeling he knew what he was doing. It just wasn't "conventional."

tanking is like masturbation

we know everyone does it from time to time, you're just meant to be ashamed of it
pseudonym28
Sophomore
And1: 123

Post#176 » by pseudonym28 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:45 am

If the sixers get the lakers pick at #4, Would you trade Okafor and the #4 pick to boston for #1 Fultz?
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,648

Post#177 » by Arsenal » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:50 am

E-Balla wrote:This thread is hilarious. Philly has been rebuilding for 4 years and they're still far from being good in any way, shape, or form. Maybe their assets turn into something but its far from a foregone conclusion and taking advantage of Sacramento ain't hard.

I can definitely say Hinkie wasn't the guy to build a team. Its not hard to lose games, have a spotty draft record (the 2nd best pick he's made so far looks like Willy and he sent him to NY), and win obvious trades. Its hard to build a team that can compete.

What's *really* hilarious are the sad and weak arguments of the haters which look more and more ridiculous every day.
shawn_hemp
Starter

Post#178 » by shawn_hemp » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:56 am

pseudonym28 wrote:If the sixers get the lakers pick at #4, Would you trade Okafor and the #4 pick to boston for #1 Fultz?

I've often wondered if Boston would keep the #1 pick if they do get it.

I would do that without hesitation.

Even if you don't take Fultz, going from 4 to 1 would be great for the Sixers.

Josh Jackson would be nice to have as well

I think the question would be: is that really all Boston would ask for?
Martensitic
Junior
And1: 313

Post#179 » by Martensitic » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:56 am

E-Balla wrote:This thread is hilarious. Philly has been rebuilding for 4 years and they're still far from being good in any way, shape, or form. Maybe their assets turn into something but its far from a foregone conclusion and taking advantage of Sacramento ain't hard.

Why all this bashing for being bad for five years, when for example your team has been bad for just one less year?
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,449
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#180 » by E-Balla » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:01 am

Martensitic wrote:

Why all this bashing for being bad for five years, when for example your team has been bad for just one less year?

Because I'm not starting threads on how great Phil Jackson is. Its not like y'all are on the Sixers board saying this...

Return to The General Board