Top 3 Most Impressive Superstars You Have Witnessed

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,810

Re: Top 3 Most Impressive Superstars You Have Witnessed 

Post#161 » by iLLmatic860 » Sun Oct 4, 2020 8:49 pm

Bron
Kobe
Dirk
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,120

Post#162 » by LesGrossman » Sun Oct 4, 2020 9:03 pm

SkyHookFTW wrote:Wilt, Kareem, A.I.

You saw Wilt play, and Kareem? How old are you?
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,120

Post#163 » by LesGrossman » Sun Oct 4, 2020 9:22 pm

Most impressive i'd put Dirks 2011 run at #1. You have to go way back in the history of the league to find anyone carrying a team to a title against all odds, superstar competition and the officials. Finals MVP, playing sick, being made fun of. Going through the blazers, sweeping (!) the Lakers, gentleman sweep of OKC, and then the epic series against the Heatles who were clearly favored to win it all by fans, media and refs. All of this with a bunch of average guys or former stars who were well past their primes.

Second vote would not go to a player because the real star was the team: The 2014 Spurs were honestly the most beautiful and efficient team game i have ever seen in the NBA. THeres not much to be said about that team, if you didnt see them i pity you because you missed pure beauty.

Third, its the body of work of Kobe Bryant, represented well by his 81 point game. Often times selfish and unaware of his team, he was able to switch to a different level and literally go through five opponents. I have never seen this combination of skill and determination (wasnt a big Jordan fan back then). Kobe didnt rely on shooters or bigs or other superstars; it certainly went easier for him when one was present, but mostly he wouldnt even look at anyone else. Many will remember those games where he turned it on and buried shot after shot after shot, demoralizing and destroying the opponent all by himself.

Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,815

Post#164 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Oct 4, 2020 9:41 pm

James, Jordan and O'Neal are the best players I've seen live.
ItsMyPotPie
Sixth Man
And1: 1,138

Post#165 » by ItsMyPotPie » Sun Oct 4, 2020 10:14 pm

Lebron, Steph, Derrick Rose Rondo
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,221

Post#166 » by druggas » Sun Oct 4, 2020 10:15 pm

Kareem, Bird, and DR. J.
Mjan
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#167 » by Mjan » Sun Oct 4, 2020 10:20 pm

Extremely tough to pick only 3, as a non-stop follower of the league since the start of 2000s, but here it goes.

1- LeBron

Dominated the league for what, 13 years? The way he takes care of himself, he is definitely up for 3 more rings IMO to match MJ and KAJ for the GOAT debate. I agree with Kerr that he is a much better player than his Miami days, which is truly incredible. Crazy to think that I can see him getting even better next year. My personal opinion is that his absolute peak was 2018, when the Toronto series and the JR Smith incident happened.

2- Shaq

Although LeBron dominated for a longer time, he is still the single most dominant player I've seen live. Even though he had one big flaw in his game, which was shooting (FTs), still truly unstoppable, a force of nature. Just an unbelievable player.

3-Kobe

Never was a fan of him since I rooted for different teams (which he usually destroyed) in his era, but man, was he a problem that never got solved. I was even more impressed after his retirement and getting to know him outside the court, his mentality, his intelligence, even the way he talked. Such a unique and enlightened person. RIP.

Honorable mentions:

Dirk: Probably had the single most epic title run of all time, a true phenomenon

Nash: He single handedly made his team play a certain brand of game which was the most unorthodox style of the time. Would definitely earn the praises of "but he changed the game" way before Curry, if not for the Spurs. He simply had unreal BBIQ.

Duncan: WHAT A PLAYER

Paul Pierce: One could say what the hell is he doing among all these superstars. But he always impressed me so so much. Never afraid of the moment, always taking responsibility and making big plays, whatever the team needed. I don't remember him ever missing a clutch shot (probably he did but that's the impression he gave me).

Durant: Unparalleled skill wise, no player that ever lived could stop him.
They scared now
Magic Is Magic
Senior
And1: 503

Post#168 » by Magic Is Magic » Sun Oct 4, 2020 10:27 pm

Clay Davis wrote:
Magic Is Magic wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:So is every other championship run

Dirk's 2011 Finals production was the "most impressive you have witnessed" makes no sense.

26 ppg on .416% fg is the most impressive? Sorry but I can't accept that you have to give me more here.

Every championship run is a team effort. He wasn't that good in the finals, true, but Dirk's run towards the finals was extremely impressive since he was the only all-star on his team. His TS% for the entire play-offs was 61.2%

I can admit he ran through the stronger West teams (4-0 my Lakers and 4-1 Durant Thunder) but he was not "the most impressive" in the Finals. If I recall he also went 7 games in the 1st round but don't quote me. To each their own my friend
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,439

Post#169 » by JellosJigglin » Sun Oct 4, 2020 10:46 pm

This is pretty easy for me.

Magic
Jordan
Kobe
User_friendly
Pro Prospect
And1: 401

Post#170 » by User_friendly » Sun Oct 4, 2020 11:43 pm

dautjazz wrote:
User_friendly wrote:I didn't witness them live, but in terms of pure talent, from what I've seen in videos, they could be Pistol Pete, Bird and J-Will

Jason Williams? He never even was an All-Star, or close to that. PER is far from a perfect state, but he only had two seasons where he was above 16, one above 17. He was terribly inefficient shooting, and his defense was even worse. His passing was good, even then a career 5.9apg. How in the world is a J-Will in terms of pure talent better than the likes of Lebron, MJ, Magic, etc.

I also hate to be that guy, but the three best in terms of pure talent were white? Funny considering that in the NBA's top 10 you only got Bird, and if we go 20 deep I'd add West to that list. Nowitzki would be in my 21-30 range.

Well I think the thread is more about being impressive than being the best. And I consider these 3 very impressive superstars, although J-Will was not so succesful. But if you look at what he was able to do, he was very very impressive; so was Maravich and also Bird.
But if wanted to enhance the white cause, I would have gone with Doncic, who is much better than all those were at his age, and who is impressive on his skillset, but he's not so impressive as those others with his actions, so I didn't include him. The same as MJ, Lebron, , Kobe, very impressive in their dominance, and very spectacular, by the way, but to me, they are less creative than the ones I mentioned, hence my list without them, as they didn't leave such an "impression". I guess it's a rather subjective question, anyway.
Bornstellar
General Manager
And1: 17,813

Post#171 » by Bornstellar » Sun Oct 4, 2020 11:46 pm

1. LBJ
2. Tim Duncan
3. Shaq
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#172 » by SmoothLefty21 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 12:03 am

Easy...

1. MJ
2. Shaq
3. LeBron
DS17
Sixth Man
And1: 1,375

Post#173 » by DS17 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 1:12 am

1) Miami lebron
2) Kobe’s 2013 year
3) KD
El Mas Chingon
Senior
And1: 525

Post#174 » by El Mas Chingon » Mon Oct 5, 2020 2:34 am

Jordan - the Bulls had a Jedi.
Shaq - he was unstoppable. Destructive.
Vince - got to watch him live a lot in Toronto, in the Half man- Half amazing period. I hate him now, but no one has made me jump out of my seat like he did.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,455

Post#175 » by TheMartian » Mon Oct 5, 2020 2:34 am

Listing this according to era:
Bird
MJ
Shaq
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,301

Post#176 » by goodboy » Mon Oct 5, 2020 2:34 am

Butler
Bright
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,918

Post#177 » by scrabbarista » Mon Oct 5, 2020 2:44 am

Easily Jordan first and Curry second. (I started watching in '91.)

Third is a lot tougher. I'll go with Olajuwon, who I watched more than any other player in the early and mid-90's.

Shaq gets a close runner-up.
bluemj32
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,064

Post#178 » by bluemj32 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:05 am

Shaq- I had and will never see anything close to him ever. Sometimes I took for granted watching him bc I hated that he left Orl.

MJ- Ovious

LBJ- It's been really cool to see his journey from 18yrs old to now. Will have a really good documentary one day (hopefully not produced by him & his crew)

**Kobe was close

Sent from my Pixel 3a using RealGM mobile app
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,576

Post#179 » by dautjazz » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:14 am

User_friendly wrote:
dautjazz wrote:
User_friendly wrote:I didn't witness them live, but in terms of pure talent, from what I've seen in videos, they could be Pistol Pete, Bird and J-Will

Jason Williams? He never even was an All-Star, or close to that. PER is far from a perfect state, but he only had two seasons where he was above 16, one above 17. He was terribly inefficient shooting, and his defense was even worse. His passing was good, even then a career 5.9apg. How in the world is a J-Will in terms of pure talent better than the likes of Lebron, MJ, Magic, etc.

I also hate to be that guy, but the three best in terms of pure talent were white? Funny considering that in the NBA's top 10 you only got Bird, and if we go 20 deep I'd add West to that list. Nowitzki would be in my 21-30 range.

Well I think the thread is more about being impressive than being the best. And I consider these 3 very impressive superstars, although J-Will was not so succesful. But if you look at what he was able to do, he was very very impressive; so was Maravich and also Bird.
But if wanted to enhance the white cause, I would have gone with Doncic, who is much better than all those were at his age, and who is impressive on his skillset, but he's not so impressive as those others with his actions, so I didn't include him. The same as MJ, Lebron, , Kobe, very impressive in their dominance, and very spectacular, by the way, but to me, they are less creative than the ones I mentioned, hence my list without them, as they didn't leave such an "impression". I guess it's a rather subjective question, anyway.

I'm just lost by your explanation Jason Williams completely failed to impress me. So he had the elbow pass, some no look passes, cool layups.. but he was NOT a superstar and how is this more impressive than a guy who can do something like this:

NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,918

Post#180 » by scrabbarista » Mon Oct 5, 2020 3:19 am

dautjazz wrote:
User_friendly wrote:
dautjazz wrote:

I'm just lost by your explanation Jason Williams completely failed to impress me. So he had the elbow pass, some no look passes, cool layups.. but he was NOT a superstar and how is this more impressive than a guy who can do something like this:

I caught some MJ highlights from that game today, and it was like his third or fourth insane shot of the game. No wonder the announcers lost their stuff...

Return to The General Board