Foul-baiting rule change is ON

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,668

Re: Foul-baiting rule change is ON 

Post#161 » by kg01 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:37 pm

Eh, I got no beef with Scalabrine. His edit makes it clear he's not off base. My pushback is against guys who say Young will no longer be an effective player.
king01 :king:
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,818

Post#162 » by CoP » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:51 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:Trae Young crapping his pants rn about this.. half his career is based off this play. lol.

This is false.

No its not. Half his playstyle is based on foulbaiting. He's still a good to great player, but he will be lesser of a player than he would of been had they not cracked down on foulbaiting.

I don't know about half, but a lot for sure. The guy had one of the highest FTr in the league, almost one-third of his points were from FTs, and many of the calls he got were these types that supposedly won't be called this year.

He's a very talented player so he may be able to adjust, but I doubt he'll be able to adjust enough to make up for those lost calls. It will be fascinating to watch and see 1) if the emphasis actually carries over to the RS; and 2) how players adjust
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,445

Post#163 » by Gusto1903 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:54 pm

Last Season Trae sacrificed his 3pt volume for the foul baiting playstyle (and **** my fantasy team in the process). He can easily just switch back and shoot threes.
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,818

Post#164 » by CoP » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:21 pm

Gusto1903 wrote:Last Season Trae sacrificed his 3pt volume for the foul baiting playstyle (and **** my fantasy team in the process). He can easily just switch back and shoot threes.

First, he actually had more FTA per game two years ago.

Second, he sacrificed his 3pt volume last season because the team added two higher-percentage 3pt shooters in Bogdan and Gallinari. I seriously doubt you're going to see Trae shooting 9.5 3PA per game like he did two seasons ago.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,668

Post#165 » by kg01 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:57 am

Jcool0 wrote:Hawks fans:

Nah, that's you and most of the others ITT at the 1:00 minute mark of this 'veers off his path' tweet ..

Read on Twitter
king01 :king:
Homer38
RealGM
And1: 11,842

Post#166 » by Homer38 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:12 am

Very small size so far(only 49 games combined) but the offensive rating in the NBA so far is at 106.7(it was at over 112 last year) and if it continue it will be the lower offensive rating in the NBA since 2016.Only the 2012,2013 and 2015 season that the offensive rating had been under 106.0 since the 2005 season in the NBA.So far so good!

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats_per_game.html
SUPERVILLAIN
Analyst
And1: 12,334

Post#167 » by SUPERVILLAIN » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:04 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Young Stapler wrote:Completely off topic but SUPERVILLAIN got a crazy post/And1 ratio O_O

Just an observation. Carry on :usa:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2135964&p=94616946#p94616946
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,463

Post#168 » by rpa » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:28 am

SUPERVILLAIN wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Inject this into my veins.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 42,103

Post#169 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:33 am

SUPERVILLAIN wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,670

Post#170 » by JRoy » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:54 am

rpa wrote:
SUPERVILLAIN wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Inject this into my veins.

Laughter really is the best medicine.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,708

Post#171 » by Flash Falcon X » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:21 pm

Flash Falcon X wrote:The funny part is Steph has always been grabbed, pulled and clobbered on the court his whole career and rarely gets called and still scores regardless. :lol:

Yes, he’ll get an amazing 4-point play once every 10 games but overall you’d be surprised to see how many times he gets hit on his shot attempts or grabbed off-ball with the refs letting it go.

First it’s “Steph wouldn’t be able to score without KD and Klay to occupy defenders”, now it’s “Steph won’t be able to score because he can’t draw fouls anymore.” :lol:

To continue from my post above.... like I said, this rule doesn't affect Steph because he's used to having to score without free throws and having to score while getting fouled and refs not calling it.

Averaging close to 30ppg, his team has a 13-2 record and he's just warming up. He's used to getting clobbered on his jump shots without free throws but still scores like crazy regardless. :lol: :lol: :lol: People really thought his scoring would go down as if he's the type of player who relied on free throws Lol. Even in his MVP seasons he never got respect from the referees.
#DubNation
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

Post#172 » by ceiling raiser » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:38 am

Seems like refs have forgotten the rule exists the last week or so. Recent performances from Harden and Lillard have had them going to the line a lot more than earlier in the season. Trae hasn't gotten the same love yet, and Curry doesn't need it obviously.
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,425

Post#173 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:50 am

what the hell is that? It's like he's being slashed with knives. How is that going through his jersey? I don't even know what that's happening.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,980

Post#174 » by thelead » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:52 am

ceiling raiser wrote:Seems like refs have forgotten the rule exists the last week or so. Recent performances from Harden and Lillard have had them going to the line a lot more than earlier in the season. Trae hasn't gotten the same love yet, and Curry doesn't need it obviously.

Yup… it’s slowly seeping back into the game :banghead:
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,140

Post#175 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:56 am

thelead wrote:
ceiling raiser wrote:Seems like refs have forgotten the rule exists the last week or so. Recent performances from Harden and Lillard have had them going to the line a lot more than earlier in the season. Trae hasn't gotten the same love yet, and Curry doesn't need it obviously.

Yup over the last few days Ive noticed this as well. A lot more of the dumb fouls that weren't being called to start the season are being called again. I think it was just a matter of time before it went back to how it was before, too many big named players were making a big fuss about it for it not to go back.
TwoStarz
Analyst
And1: 1,842

Post#176 » by TwoStarz » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:07 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
thelead wrote:

Yup over the last few days Ive noticed this as well. A lot more of the dumb fouls that weren't being called to start the season are being called again. I think it was just a matter of time before it went back to how it was before, too many big named players were making a big fuss about it for it not to go back.

Yup I’ve noticed as well, Harden getting more of his bs calls again. Even derozan got a pump fake jump into defender call a few times I watched the bulls play. Of course refs couldn’t keep it up, whack
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,309

Post#177 » by Impuniti » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:12 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
thelead wrote:

Would have been nice for these fraud all stars and superstars to get exposed through a whole season, but NBA can't have these babies continue to keep failing.

No one should be surprised that the foul rules stepped back.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,809

Post#178 » by ropjhk » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:25 am

In the end it seems like the foul baiting rule might go the way of the flopping rule.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,308

Post#179 » by Lalouie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:35 am

the foul baiting rule change is a reflection of the trickle down effect of how reffing games OVERALL has been changed. players are complaining about more than just the baiting calls.

there are 9 of 10 strange standings in the east and 5 of 10 in the west that are totally unexpected. yes, there are other reasons for this. be that as it may,,,,,,

i think this also validates and addresses all those debates regarding how we view player/team comparisons across eras. so when the "old timers" defend themselves and say "we played a different/better game back then", for better or worse IT MATTERS!!

rules matter. rules changes the way ref ref and therefore the way players play, and it trickles down to mindset and the way players prioritize their game. aAND the way teams draft and play certain TYPES of players differently than they did 20, 30, 40, and 50 years ago. does jason tatum even get any pt 30years ago the way he's chucking 3's today??? walton had to stop eating seeds and nuts and start eating red meat because he was too wimpy,,,,,,and on and on.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,968

Post#180 » by Karate Diop » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:38 am

thelead wrote:

Just because players are getting to the line doesn't mean that the referees have stopped enforcing this rule.

Only casuals thought that Harden who is slowly easing himself back into the season wouldn't return to form eventually... Even now he's probably at 75% and only going to get better...

Return to The General Board