Minnesota ownership change in jeopardy?

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,756

Re: Minnesota ownership change in jeopardy? 

Post#161 » by zimpy27 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:53 pm

dockingsched wrote:Woj with some more heavy lifting for Glen Taylor

Read on Twitter

If these guys were checking under couch cushions to pay for a franchise at a valuation that was close to doubling their original offer then I believe there's little chance that they let a team be in the tax.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,759

Post#162 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:15 pm

Its inevitable that Taylor either sells the team to them or he (and probably the NBA) face a billion dollar lawsuit, that looks like they can lose.

Well, maybe slightly less than a billion in lost profit since A-rod, Lore and their partners look to have already made about 600 million on this.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,277

Post#163 » by whatisacenter » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:16 pm

Messy public divorce.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,192

Post#164 » by NyKnicks1714 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:25 pm

Read on Twitter

The idea that this was Taylor's reasoning is obvious BS, but that doesn't mean Arod and Lore wouldn't indeed have lowered the payroll. I would expect them to.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,737

Post#165 » by 76thBearCub » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:40 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Its inevitable that Taylor either sells the team to them or he (and probably the NBA) face a billion dollar lawsuit, that looks like they can lose.

Well, maybe slightly less than a billion in lost profit since A-rod, Lore and their partners look to have already made about 600 million on this.

How so is it inevitable?
YourBuddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 657

Post#166 » by YourBuddy » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:51 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:

Read on Twitter

The idea that this was Taylor's reasoning is obvious BS, but that doesn't mean Arod and Lore wouldn't indeed have lowered the payroll. I would expect them to.

Yea this is just Taylor mudslinging. He was just quoted saying there would need to be some tough decisions coming with the payroll. He is just trying to influence the NBA’s decision and make his opponents look like they can’t afford the team.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,759

Post#167 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:53 pm

76thBearCub wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Its inevitable that Taylor either sells the team to them or he (and probably the NBA) face a billion dollar lawsuit, that looks like they can lose.

How so is it inevitable?

What? You get the "or" part of the statement right? What do you think they will do if they don't get the team? Have a party?
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,192

Post#168 » by NyKnicks1714 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:57 pm

YourBuddy wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Yea this is just Taylor mudslinging. He was just quoted saying there would need to be some tough decisions coming with the payroll. He is just trying to influence the NBA’s decision and make his opponents look like they can’t afford the team.

Sure, but do you believe that Arod and Lore's ownership group wouldn't have tried to lower the payroll to avoid the luxury tax?
Hitachi77
Senior
And1: 687

Post#169 » by Hitachi77 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:25 am

Arod is an investor. His goal would be to make money first and compete second. So yea, believable that he would lower them under the tax.

Course, worse teams generally make less money, which is a tightrope they’d have to walk. Still, not the kind of owner fans want for their team. You want a mega billionaire.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,540

Post#170 » by brutalitops » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:10 am

zimpy27 wrote:

Read on Twitter

If these guys were checking under couch cushions to pay for a franchise at a valuation that was close to doubling their original offer then I believe there's little chance that they let a team be in the tax.

They weren't? They literally had to wait for the NBA board.of.directors to OK an investment firm joining and Glen Taylor took that as a chance to bail out because he had regrets. Mark Lore is worth more then Taylor alone
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,174

Post#171 » by AleksandarN » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:39 pm

If stories are true of cutting back on salaries. I wouldn’t be surprised if Connelly leaves.

Read on Twitter
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,684

Post#172 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:49 pm

brutalitops wrote:Mark Lore is worth more then Taylor alone

Happen to have a credible source saying that? Because all credible ones say the opposite when I look.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,407

Post#173 » by Zeno » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:59 pm

AleksandarN wrote:If stories are true of cutting back on salaries. I wouldn’t be surprised if Connelly leaves.

Read on Twitter

It is very clear that Taylor used Woj to put out that A-Rod and Lore wanted to cut payroll and then A-Rod and Lore went to Shams to talk about how it was their idea to bring in Connelly and basically imply that he might want to exercise his right to leave if they aren’t the owners. I don’t think either side is likely to keep spending as projected for next season.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 28,306

Post#174 » by Domejandro » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:41 am

Zeno wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:If stories are true of cutting back on salaries. I wouldn’t be surprised if Connelly leaves.

Read on Twitter

It is very clear that Taylor used Woj to put out that A-Rod and Lore wanted to cut payroll and then A-Rod and Lore went to Shams to talk about how it was their idea to bring in Connelly and basically imply that he might want to exercise his right to leave if they aren’t the owners. I don’t think either side is likely to keep spending as projected for next season.

We have absolutely no idea what is true, but realistically, Glen Taylor has an incentive to drive up Luxury-Tax payments to try to break Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore, assuming the problems finding cash are accurate. Glen Taylor is worth more than both combined and he has the capacity to more easily get money.

For his many faults, Glen Taylor has always been willing spend money on the Timberwolves.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,276

Post#175 » by DoItALL9 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:51 am

They should get MJ to makeup the remaining amount for them, silent investor
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,447

Post#176 » by wco81 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:06 am

What else is he going to do with his billions?

But I guess owning Charlotte Hornets all those years didn't satisfy his competitive hunger.

Besides having input in the Air brand, what does he do, play a lot of golf and gamble?

Hell, the Wolves, if he was willing to pay the luxury taxes, could be a contender, something which he never had in Charlotte.

OTOH, he avoided going into the luxury tax there didn't he? Can't blame him, they weren't even a consistent playoffs team.

He probably makes more from selling sneakers now than how much in luxury taxes he'd have to pay.

Reminds me of the story about how LeBron went on a trip overseas with some buddies like Wade and he was worried about data roaming charges on his phone.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,352

Post#177 » by God Squad » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:33 pm

You have to feel for Minnesota somewhat. After a decade of sucking, they finally put together a competitive young squad. Now they have to deal with front office/noncourt-related nonsense.

Luckily they haven't seemed bothered by it.
Slimjimzv
Junior
And1: 378

Post#178 » by Slimjimzv » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:54 pm

God bless, can Minnesota fans catch a break? They finally have a team they can be proud of, and their ownership creates this distraction? I hope they crush everyone except the Thunder in the playoffs.
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,315

Post#179 » by FrodoBaggins » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:31 pm

Team Glen T.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 2,127

Post#180 » by thinktank » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:51 pm

FYI Dane Moore investigated the “news” from Woj and his finding is that the “news” is BS.

Teams make literally hundreds of projections every year.

The projection referenced in Woj’s tweet would never be binding and could’ve been a conservative baseline for salary and nothing more.

Pay it no mind, because its got Taylor’s fingerprints and spin all over it.

The timing of it (just before our biggest game this season) is another huge red flag as to its veracity.

I would guess that this Woj bomb is evidence that Taylor is nervous about losing the team in arbitration. Otherwise, I don’t know why any story would be leaked that references a future where Lore / ARod own the team. Taylor is known for making missteps like these, and making them in public to boot.
KAT in the 2024 playoffs: 19.1, 9.0, 2.6 on 46.6 / 36.1 / 85.5.

Return to The General Board