Kristaps Porzingis Is Indeed Available

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

NY2k1
Starter
And1: 925

Re: Dallas Mavericks Quietly Gauging The Market For Kristaps Porzingis 

Post#181 » by NY2k1 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:01 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
Capn'O wrote:I think mine was pretty consistent. I hated the trade at the time with the caveat that injuries could set him back from my projected borderline All Star status for him. Unfortunately for him/Mavs, that downside seems to be coming to fruition.

I think most people fell pretty close to this. Dallas was making a boom/bust move. Chance to have gotten a young star player relatively cheaply. Also a chance to have their draft tied up for years while having a max contract sitting on their books not getting nearly the play out of him they need.

Knicks decision always seemed easier because he seemed to really want out. So you avoid paying him, dump some other money so you can take a big FA swing and get some assets. Looked bad immediately when the stars chose the other city team, but Randle is now playing at an all-star level and the Dallas picks look more valuable than they did a year ago.

The crazy thing is that we ran Phil Jackson out of town for amongst other things for thinking about trading KP for Boston's #3 (turned out to be Tatum) and Jaylen Brown.

Not that we wouldn't have fked up that draft pick but whateva.

During the Porzingis Brothers and PJackson flare-up, Phil said Porzingis gave him Shaun Bradley vibes and we all thought he was senile.

The GOAT of coaches knows a thing or 2 about a thing or 2.

In hindsight, Phil Jackson was right in wanting to trade KP.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 15,127

Post#182 » by KnicksGadfly » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:10 pm

NY2k1 wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
I think most people fell pretty close to this. Dallas was making a boom/bust move. Chance to have gotten a young star player relatively cheaply. Also a chance to have their draft tied up for years while having a max contract sitting on their books not getting nearly the play out of him they need.

Knicks decision always seemed easier because he seemed to really want out. So you avoid paying him, dump some other money so you can take a big FA swing and get some assets. Looked bad immediately when the stars chose the other city team, but Randle is now playing at an all-star level and the Dallas picks look more valuable than they did a year ago.

The crazy thing is that we ran Phil Jackson out of town for amongst other things for thinking about trading KP for Boston's #3 (turned out to be Tatum) and Jaylen Brown.

During the Porzingis Brothers and PJackson flare-up, Phil said Porzingis gave him Shaun Bradley vibes and we all thought he was senile.

Phil Jackson might have been right on that point, but he undermined himself. Same with Mills and Perry. Don't care if you're right on this one thing, if you're constantly undermining your own authority and message. If Phil wanted to be taken more seriously, he needed to shut up, stop talking to his butt buddy Rosen, get over his triangle obsession, hire better coaches and sign better FAs.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,794

Post#183 » by slicedbread2 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:19 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
NY2k1 wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:

Phil Jackson might have been right on that point, but he undermined himself. Same with Mills and Perry. Don't care if you're right on this one thing, if you're constantly undermining your own authority and message. If Phil wanted to be taken more seriously, he needed to shut up, stop talking to his butt buddy Rosen, get over his triangle obsession, hire better coaches and sign better FAs.

I'll never forget Stephen A losing his mind over PJ taking on a dude who's frame was comparable to Bradley and being almost too big for the game. Shout out to Shawn Bradley. Found some highlights of the great big Mormon.

;ab_channel=AlbertaNeiman
advent11
Junior
And1: 380

Post#184 » by advent11 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:20 pm

Spree2Houston wrote:It’ll be hilarious when the Mavs miss the playoffs and their pick jumps up in the lottery. You know it’s going to happen

Mavs are -265 to make the playoffs. Knicks are +210.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,658

Post#185 » by jpengland » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:20 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
The best ability is availability. He can be as good as Michael Jordan, if he can’t get and consistently stay on the court it won’t matter.

If he's as good as Jordan I'm totally cool with him playing 40-60% of the games and hoping he's healthy for the playoffs enough times.

The issue is right now he's one of the worst defensive players in the league and he plays the most important defensive position. If that doesn't improve it won't matter if he plays because they can't win consistently like that.

Agree with this.

If his rim protection gets back to where it was, I'm happy to just hope he can stay healthy for a playoff run. He's a great fit with Luka when healthy and playing D.

Im shuffling the other pieces around Luka and Porzingis given what his value appears to be elsewhere.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,658

Post#186 » by jpengland » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:22 pm

advent11 wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:It’ll be hilarious when the Mavs miss the playoffs and their pick jumps up in the lottery. You know it’s going to happen

Mavs are -265 to make the playoffs. Knicks are +210.

After being hit harder than anyone bar Miami from Covid and also having a tough schedule and an out of shape Luka, Dallas are back a game below. 500.

They are making the playoffs.
RB34
RealGM
And1: 15,621

Post#187 » by RB34 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:23 pm

Lunartic wrote:Celtics should make an offer

The problem is, if KP can't coexist with Luka then who can he play with? Assuming he ever actually plays and isn't injured.

We’re too injury prone/cursed as it is..
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,557

Post#188 » by Zenzibar » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:47 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
NY2k1 wrote:
Zenzibar wrote:

OK Phil had his flaws.
But let's stay on topic for a NY minute. Phil was absolutely right on both Carmelo and KP.

To me and these are my takes only:
- Phil was just as happy letting Carmelo walk as a free agent and building the team in a different construct.
- Dolan intervene and forced Phil to resign Carmelo AND for no reason give him a no-trade to boot.
- Being that Carmelo was KP's "big NBA brother" so to speak and KP didn't appreciate the rift between Phil Jackson and Carmelo.
- This precipitated KP skipping the season exit interview and having Janis/KP start a little war with PJax.
- PJax is a gangster himself talked to the Celtics about a major trade that somehow got leaked and had the fanbase ready to burn MSG.
- Instead Dolan fired PJax but not before Jackson said that Porzingis is built like he won't hold his athleticism for much longer. aka Shaun Bradley.

Keeping to the topic PJax wasn't far off on KP cause he's seen it before: Bradley, Yao, KP all 7'4" players whose bodies failed them too early.

However let me be clear. Even if it's in the Knicks best interest to cash in on the Dallas unprotected pick, I don't want to get it by wishing KP any harm.
If fortune is on our side, it will be.
Stop All Genocides
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,618

Post#189 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:52 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
However let me be clear. Even if it's in the Knicks best interest to cash in on the Dallas unprotected pick, I don't want to get it by wishing KP any harm.
If fortune is on our side, it will be.

Sorry, sir. Too much class. Can't allow it. :nonono:
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#190 » by NY 567 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:20 pm

I do not envy the Mavs position in regards to KP. If they hold on to him and his injuries keep occurring and his play keeps declining, they're in big trouble. But if they move him and he makes it back to his February and the bubble form, that's going to hurt.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,639

Post#191 » by Tor_Raps » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:24 pm

NY 567 wrote:I do not envy the Mavs position in regards to KP. If they hold on to him and his injuries keep occurring and his play keeps declining, they're in big trouble. But if they move him and he makes it back to his February and the bubble form, that's going to hurt.

As a raptor fan, I would gladly take that risk if it means we can get him cents on the dollar. He started the season off very slowly and is still averaging 21/8 with 1.6 blocks on 58 TS%.

People here are talking like he's washed up lol.
Garbagelo
Veteran
And1: 3,334

Post#192 » by Garbagelo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:32 pm

He's a shell of his former self but he hasn't figured it out yet
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 8,518

Post#193 » by BigShot Bojan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:35 pm

Honestly I think his anemia is acting up...I can imagine how body breaking down this quickly...he needs to lose his brother and get actual knowledgeable support team...on the knicks he had a bodybuilder trainer... wholeheartedly believe his diet is garbage which in turn is effecting his anemia and durability
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
NewYorkPride85
Senior
And1: 353

Post#194 » by NewYorkPride85 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:05 am

urgal wrote:
DaGawd wrote:Image

Janis bout to request a trade

What's Dennis Smith up to these days?

Have no idea. Been more focused on your unprotected lottery pick that we have this year. :lol:
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,899

Post#195 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:10 am

Archx wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:We Knicks fans warned you, because we were watching the games, while other fanbases were actually buying the hype and used it to pile on the Knicks... the irony.

Mavs made a calculated risk, sometimes you have to do it in order to win. Just didn't play out the way people expected (so far). They made the same risk in 2018 draft and they won big. It's not like Mavs are the Lakers where free agents almost lineup to play there.

The trade was a gamble that made sense for the Mavs. They just were never getting the player they thought they were trading for, because there was a massive gap between his reputation and actual play.

But there's value in having a center who can protect the rim and shoot 3s, so you can easily understand making an aggressive move for KP from that perspective. I just don't think the Mavs knew exactly which player they were getting. They clearly thought they were getting a star, if not a superstar.
Johnny Tomala
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#196 » by Johnny Tomala » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:12 am

He is getting better with each game, I think KP is new Kyrie Irving on this forum - bashed undeservedly for everything. Mavericks aren't trading him.
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 18,106

Post#197 » by Im Coming Home » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:12 am

NewYorkPride85 wrote:
urgal wrote:
DaGawd wrote:Image

Janis bout to request a trade

What's Dennis Smith up to these days?

Have no idea. Been more focused on your unprotected lottery pick that we have this year. :lol:

Also the top 10 protected pick from 2023 that prevents them from trading first round picks(due to protections) until 2027 :lol: :lol: :lol: so they can't even move pieces to improve the team all that much.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,899

Post#198 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:14 am

UcanUwill wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:We Knicks fans warned you, because we were watching the games, while other fanbases were actually buying the hype and used it to pile on the Knicks... the irony.

Big facts.

you guys give yourself too much credit, no one knew Porzingis would turn into such a stiff, he was one of the most promising defenders in the league.

Not all of us, but some of us certainly did. His decline defensively has come faster than a lot of people anticipated, including me, I'll give you that.
urgal
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,876

Post#199 » by urgal » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:17 am

NewYorkPride85 wrote:Have no idea. Been more focused on your unprotected lottery pick that we have this year. :lol:

Out of curiosity, targeting another Knox or Ntilikina this time?
Monk1718
RealGM
And1: 19,079

Post#200 » by Monk1718 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:22 am

urgal wrote:
NewYorkPride85 wrote:Have no idea. Been more focused on your unprotected lottery pick that we have this year. :lol:

Out of curiosity, targeting another Knox or Ntilikina this time?

Maybe another Mitchell Robinson or Immanuel Quickley

Return to The General Board