NBA Rookie Discussion Thread 2023-24

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Make two selections: One between Wemby/Holmgren and one for the rest

Chet Holmgren
27%
Victor Wembanyama
29%
Brandon Miller
11%
Ausar Thompson
6%
Jordan Hawkins
1%
Jaime Jaquez Jr.
13%
Bilal Coulibaly
2%
Dereck Lively
5%
Scoot Henderson
1%
Other
5%

Total votes: 588

DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,315

Re: NBA Rookie Discussion Thread 2023-24 

Post#1961 » by DCasey91 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 9:06 pm

CptCrunch wrote:We are still waiting for 30% of these forums to change their vote. Anyone who voted a sophmore for ROY fundamnetally does not understand basketball, basketball development, and/or statistical scouting at the most basic level.

Also a good lesson that opinion of the masses is meaningless in most cases.

Can’t speak for all only myself but the one thing is, Chet is eligible. Now if there is a problem with the rules that’s a different discussion on the rule itself not the players

People can vote for who they want right or wrong. I mean Trump with all the controversy etc etc.

Not to get political but there’s flaws with any societal doctrine or system put into place and voting is no different.

But to say does not understand basketball is frankly stretching it.
mediocrityrules
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,037

Post#1962 » by mediocrityrules » Wed Mar 6, 2024 9:07 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:He'll get stronger in the future, guys better take advantage of him being so skinny now though. Just looking at his build he's probably going to look like a gigantic version of Giannis in a few years.

I think he'll lose some mobility if he bulks up too much. He won't be able to reach all the blocks etc if he tries to look like Giannis.
Circling calendars since 2021
mediocrityrules
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,037

Post#1963 » by mediocrityrules » Wed Mar 6, 2024 9:08 pm

DCasey91 wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:We are still waiting for 30% of these forums to change their vote. Anyone who voted a sophmore for ROY fundamnetally does not understand basketball, basketball development, and/or statistical scouting at the most basic level.

Can’t speak for all only myself but the one thing is, Chet is eligible. Now if there is a problem with the rules that’s a different discussion on the rule itself not the players

People can vote for who they want right or wrong. I mean Trump with all the controversy etc etc.

Not to get political but there’s flaws with any societal doctrine or system put into place and voting is no different.

Is this where i make my annual Ben Simmons for ROY joke?
Circling calendars since 2021
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 42,090

Post#1964 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed Mar 6, 2024 9:14 pm

mediocrityrules wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:He'll get stronger in the future, guys better take advantage of him being so skinny now though. Just looking at his build he's probably going to look like a gigantic version of Giannis in a few years.

I think he'll lose some mobility if he bulks up too much. He won't be able to reach all the blocks etc if he tries to look like Giannis.

What he loses in mobility he gains in strength, teams wont be able to defend him with wings in the future if he adds more weight. They defended him a lot last night with Dillion Brooks, mainly because Brooks is stronger than him right now and can stop him from getting to his spots. I doubt he loses much mobility if he gets up to around 250-260lbs in the future, for example Gobert is right around 260lbs.
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#1965 » by DCasey91 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 9:20 pm

mediocrityrules wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:

Is this where i make my annual Ben Simmons for ROY joke?

100% :)
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,304

Post#1966 » by Dan Z » Wed Mar 6, 2024 10:53 pm

I think Wembanyama is going to win ROY, but too many people try to diminish Chet's season by saying that he's playing with an MVP candidate teammate.

The people who say that do realize that the bigs on OKC are Chet, Bismack Biyombo, Mike Muscala, Oliver Sarr and Jaylin Williams...right? That's basically Chet and not much else.
MMyhre
Suspended
And1: 616

Post#1967 » by MMyhre » Thu Mar 7, 2024 9:46 am

Chet 33 mins 6-9 fg, 1-4 3pt, 8-10 ft 21 pts 14 reb 5 ast 1 blk 1 to +32 and the win. Good game. One reason OKC wouldnt be close to the 1st seed without him = Blazers started scoring at will in the paint when he sat in the 1 quarter. Impressive to get so many points when two guys in your team takes 40 shots out of 74 total, but that leaves him more energy to play defense and grab rebounds, so the importance of Jalen Williams being at this level in the postseason so Chet can compete harder for rebounds and defense cannot be understated. I still think he does that right to left spin move too much, lol. Not going to work against better defenders, and I dont think he can do a left to right spin move, which means his handles and movement patterns need improvement.

Can`t be like me vs my friend on NBA Live 09 spamming speed and dunk with LeBron for a 99 % success rate.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,565

Post#1968 » by Saints14 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:24 pm

It stinks both of these guys can't win ROY. Other than Wemby and maybe Luka I honestly can't think of a better rookie since Tim Duncan than Chet. Being the 2nd best player on one of the best teams in the NBA as a rookie is insane
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,166

Post#1969 » by TB » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:45 pm

Warriors may have had the best draft out of anyone from a value standpoint...

Podz at 19 looks like an A+
Trayce at 57 looks like an A+

Both pop up in the top 5 of rookies in a ton of impact metrics. Podz is starting over Klay, now Trayce has jumped ahead of Looney and Saric for backup big minutes. Kerr rarely trusts rookies, but they are extremely high IQ players that fit the system perfectly.
Bornstellar
General Manager
And1: 17,714

Post#1970 » by Bornstellar » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:41 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
mediocrityrules wrote:

What he loses in mobility he gains in strength, teams wont be able to defend him with wings in the future if he adds more weight. They defended him a lot last night with Dillion Brooks, mainly because Brooks is stronger than him right now and can stop him from getting to his spots. I doubt he loses much mobility if he gets up to around 250-260lbs in the future, for example Gobert is right around 260lbs.

The other problem is the Spurs personnel cannot make other teams pay for using their wings to defend him. If the Spurs had complimentary teammates around him, they'd be able to punish mismatches. As it stands, the Spurs have basically no one that can create offense for themselves and they're all turnstiles on defense besides Victor. Not to mention they have terrible spacing which allows Vic to easily get doubled/tripled and his teammates are clueless on how to play out of a double.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#1971 » by DCasey91 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:08 am

MMyhre wrote:Chet 33 mins 6-9 fg, 1-4 3pt, 8-10 ft 21 pts 14 reb 5 ast 1 blk 1 to +32 and the win. Good game. One reason OKC wouldnt be close to the 1st seed without him = Blazers started scoring at will in the paint when he sat in the 1 quarter. Impressive to get so many points when two guys in your team takes 40 shots out of 74 total, but that leaves him more energy to play defense and grab rebounds, so the importance of Jalen Williams being at this level in the postseason so Chet can compete harder for rebounds and defense cannot be understated. I still think he does that right to left spin move too much, lol. Not going to work against better defenders, and I dont think he can do a left to right spin move, which means his handles and movement patterns need improvement.

Can`t be like me vs my friend on NBA Live 09 spamming speed and dunk with LeBron for a 99 % success rate.

I watched the last half, dude needs a breather. OKC has to do their due diligence here. Same with Wemby there’s a difference between being tired and being fatigued.

His last 3 and the two free throws (one miss and one just going through it) told me his tank is running on empty. Being young okay recovery is quicker but get him ripe for more important things later on.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,496

Post#1972 » by D.Brasco » Fri Mar 8, 2024 7:25 pm

Read on Twitter
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,200

Post#1973 » by donnieme » Sat Mar 9, 2024 3:34 am

It might not be the best thing for winning but If Wemby was on a bad organisation that isod every time down the floor (how most rookies are ruined) he would be a honorable mention pick for every award. The signs are glaring that a high usage Wemby would rack up some nasty stats. His playmaking may not exactly be Jokic's but it's good enough to hover triple double territory most nights.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 30,119

Post#1974 » by Dominator83 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 5:41 am

What the heck was that tonight Chet?
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,156

Post#1975 » by The-Power » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:05 am

donnieme wrote:It might not be the best thing for winning but If Wemby was on a bad organisation that isod every time down the floor (how most rookies are ruined) he would be a honorable mention pick for every award. The signs are glaring that a high usage Wemby would rack up some nasty stats. His playmaking may not exactly be Jokic's but it's good enough to hover triple double territory most nights.

Victor already has an insanely high usage. Not much more is even possible.
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 737

Post#1976 » by RollingWave » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:56 pm

[youtube] https://youtu.be/ZPrOL9A-sGU?si=zD3acko12mVJaiC6[/youtube]

Amen been a bit hit or miss lately as much like Ausar when higher end teams lock in on him his weaknesses gets exposed and strength not as pronounced, but obviously the Blazers with most of their guys out is a perfect target for him to wreck havoc
The river of time wash away all heroes
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,297

Post#1977 » by BDM22 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 4:56 pm

donnieme wrote:It might not be the best thing for winning but If Wemby was on a bad organisation that isod every time down the floor (how most rookies are ruined) he would be a honorable mention pick for every award. The signs are glaring that a high usage Wemby would rack up some nasty stats. His playmaking may not exactly be Jokic's but it's good enough to hover triple double territory most nights.

Wemby has the 7th highest usage rate in the entire league and the highest ever by a rookie in NBA history. Higher than rookie Jordan, Luka, Lebron, etc.
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,200

Post#1978 » by donnieme » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:39 pm

BDM22 wrote:

Wemby has the 7th highest usage rate in the entire league and the highest ever by a rookie in NBA history. Higher than rookie Jordan, Luka, Lebron, etc.

Then it's my bad for saying usage rate. I mean an ugly, raw ISO 5 man out offense where coaching actively wants to be carried on every offensive possession. Wemby can average a triple double. There's more to the kid.
_jin
Sixth Man
And1: 2,202

Post#1979 » by _jin » Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:24 pm

It was a weird game from Podz last night, his stats look decent, 8/7/6 with a steal and a block but the eyetest was a totally different story. Everytime the Dubs were trying to play fast and move the ball he'd stop it and dribble a few times looking for a drive and killing the ball movement, and on defense he was really bad, he kept leaving the corner man open to stay under the rim? I have no idea why he kept doing that and why Kerr or another coach didnt say anything to fix it. It looks like he was fishing for easy rebounds with no intention of defending.
Good game from TJD, he's the only one on their team who can protect the rim, played good defense, stayed within his role on offense, I just dont see why they'd play Looney ever again, they need to get rid of him in the summer and give his minutes to TJD.
The issue is the Kuminga-Draymond-TJD frontline doesnt work, they dont provide any spacing, especially without Steph around (but even with him on the floor).
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,671

Post#1980 » by Statlanta » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:02 pm

I really dislike how both the ROY and MVP debate are about Gilgeous Alexander and Holmgren benefitting so much from each other
Aaron Gordon, Devin Booker, Tyrese Halliburton, Trae Young, Anthony Edwards and Luka Doncic all made the Conference Finals.

Where’s Joel Embiid?

Return to The General Board