i still dont understand what it is with derrick favors...

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Re: i still dont understand what it is with derrick favors... 

Post#21 » by boogie-reke » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:45 pm

The 09 draft was ment the be 'weak' aswell.
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Post#22 » by Ming Kong! » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:53 pm

I heard what the guy said, and it was more along the lines of that the Jazz got an all-star PG in Harris, what would of been the #1 in 2011 if Favors stayed in college, and two more great picks. I think he meant that the Jazz benefited the most of the deadline trades than any other team, and I think there is the potential of the trade looking very one sided in the future. This was a win-win situation IMO. Williams should fill up the seats in NJ/Brooklyn, and he's a franchise player. The Nets also have MAX money to sign a great player in the summer. Ofcourse, that's IF Williams wants to resign with the Nets in 2012.

The Jazz have the potential of obtaining a franchise player in Favors or one of the picks, or via a trade with their new assets. The Jazz were going to lose Williams, and if Harris can return to All-Star form under the Jazz system, which offensively retains a lot of the old school Sloan style, then atleast i soften the loss of Williams. Don't know if you guys realize that we have the Nets pick, unprotected. The Nes at 17 wins are far ahead of the closest team at 21 wins. It would be pretty hard climb up the standings in just 25 games. There would be a 21.5% chance that they would get one of the top 3 picks in the draft if the Nets ended with the 6th worst record. 65% chance that the pick wouldn't drop below 6th, not bad if you ask me.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,161

Post#23 » by jazzfan1971 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:59 pm

Harris is at the very least an average PG. I think most would say above average, a former All-Star after all. I think he was vastly overrated on these boards at one time, but I think if Deron is a 10 on a scale of 1-10 Harris probably comes in around a 7 or so, give or take a half a point. Also, Jazz didnt' get a whole lot older here as Harris is only a year older than Williams.

Then you have NJ's lotto pick, likely top 10. Probably in the 6-8 range, but, decent odds to be in the top 3. That's pretty valuable itself.

Then you have GS's likely lotto pick. Less certainly here, but, likely in the 8-14 range. So, an early to mid pick. Not quite as valueable, but, still a nice asset.

Oh, and don't forget Favors. He's a nice throw in on top of all that.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#24 » by Throwback24 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:06 pm

Ed Davis isalso better.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
moximus
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#25 » by moximus » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:08 pm

Nolan wrote:
624 wrote:
moximus wrote:Greg Monroe (#7) >>> Derrick Favors (#3)

:lol:

What's so funny? Monroe has been a stud for the Pistons so far.

Yea I find that quite ignorant, any astute basketball fans know that Monroe has been outplaying Favors.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by jazzfan1971 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:19 pm

Well, the best measure of a draft pick is not always their rookie season.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#27 » by SpeedyG » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:22 pm

Spottieottie wrote:
To state that the Jazz won the trade would insinuate that Favors will be better than Williams one day, as most people already know what kind of player Harris is (an above average PG) as he has already probably reached his prime. I'm not sure I buy that. I wish Favors all the best as I saw what he did in a Nets uniform and he has a good ceiling of potential, but there is nothing shown after his current play to lead anyone to believe that he will become one of the best players in his position, let alone the NBA.

There are a lot of other factors that go into it then just D-Will vs Favors. What if you guys don't even keep him in 2 years? Even if Favors doesn't reach D-will's level, you guys will end up having neither of them.

Don't forget the other two picks the Jazz get (Nets own in 2011, and GSW). If they somehow get all-stars (or even borderline all-stars) with those picks along with the progression of Favors, then you can make a case they win
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by jazzfan1971 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:25 pm

And I'm not so sure Monroe>Favors if you adjust for minutes. Stastically speaking anyway.
macksunny
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#29 » by macksunny » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:55 pm

Favors has a slightly better career ahead of him then Kwame Brown. Jazz clearly won this trade :roll: , maybe they can teach him how to set a screen properly without fouling. A few years from now he might be able to learn how to use his alleged freak athleticism to finish dunks like a man. After that, maybe they can teach him how to dribble. Then pass, then shoot. 1 day at a time.
Jaylee209
Junior
And1: 23

Post#30 » by Jaylee209 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:27 pm

Bust!
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by jazzfan1971 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:57 pm

I think Kwame is a decent worst case scenario for a healthy Favors. But, if the kid has a good head on his shoulders and a willingness to work I think that's a fairly low percentage outcome.

Does he have a Low BBIQ label on him or something?
The Fax
Senior
And1: 33

Post#32 » by The Fax » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:03 pm

Give the kid a break, he's 20 years old. I see him developing drastically with Utah. In 2-3 years he will be a very nice player.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,861

Post#33 » by Raps in 4 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:05 pm

Bigmen always take forever to develop.
macksunny
Banned User

Post#34 » by macksunny » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:08 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:I think Kwame is a decent worst case scenario for a healthy Favors. But, if the kid has a good head on his shoulders and a willingness to work I think that's a fairly low percentage outcome.

1 of his issues, yes.
moximus
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#35 » by moximus » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:14 pm

macksunny wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:I think Kwame is a decent worst case scenario for a healthy Favors. But, if the kid has a good head on his shoulders and a willingness to work I think that's a fairly low percentage outcome.

1 of his issues, yes.

Unlike Monroe who has one of the highest BBIQ of among all rookies, Favors has extremely low BBIQ. If you actually can bear to watch Nets during the first half, Favors was completely clueless on the court on both ends of the court, he has no defensive instinct despite his athleticism. He has all the making for a bust.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by jazzfan1971 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:19 pm

I'm sad to hear that. The space between the ears is one thing we can't fix for him.
Sixerlover
Starter

Post#37 » by Sixerlover » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:24 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:This draft is so underrated its crazy. Its on a similar level to last years, better than the 05, 06, 09 drafts.

'05 produced Paul, Williams, Bogut, Granger, Bynum, Monta, David Lee, Nate, Felton and a bunch of solid role players. What are you talking about?

And '09 might have been the best PG draft EVER, along with the NBA's new superstar. I doubt '11 will be better then those drafts.
macksunny
Banned User

Post#38 » by macksunny » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:37 pm

moximus wrote:Unlike Monroe who has one of the highest BBIQ of among all rookies, Favors has extremely low BBIQ. If you actually can bear to watch Nets during the first half, Favors was completely clueless on the court on both ends of the court, he has no defensive instinct despite his athleticism. He has all the making for a bust.

His athleticism is nothing special either. He's not a stiff but the pre-draft comparisons of AMare/Dwight like freak were a pipe dream. He is not quick off the floor, he doesn't fnish dunks, gets blocked by guards, his lateral quickness is not very good either. He is athletic for a Center, not for a PF.
OhMyBosh
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,206

Post#39 » by OhMyBosh » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:34 pm

Everyone expected him to be raw, but nobody expected him to be this terrible.

He’s very lucky that he’s still so young. He has a ridiculous amount of work to put into his game before he can prove his draft position.
TDevilsG
Rookie
And1: 188

Post#40 » by TDevilsG » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:36 pm

Ming Kong! wrote:I heard what the guy said, and it was more along the lines of that the Jazz got an all-star PG in Harris, what would of been the #1 in 2011 if Favors stayed in college, and two more great picks. I think he meant that the Jazz benefited the most of the deadline trades than any other team, and I think there is the potential of the trade looking very one sided in the future. This was a win-win situation IMO. Williams should fill up the seats in NJ/Brooklyn, and he's a franchise player. The Nets also have MAX money to sign a great player in the summer. Ofcourse, that's IF Williams wants to resign with the Nets in 2012.

The Jazz have the potential of obtaining a franchise player in Favors or one of the picks, or via a trade with their new assets. The Jazz were going to lose Williams, and if Harris can return to All-Star form under the Jazz system, which offensively retains a lot of the old school Sloan style, then atleast i soften the loss of Williams. Don't know if you guys realize that we have the Nets pick, unprotected. The Nes at 17 wins are far ahead of the closest team at 21 wins. It would be pretty hard climb up the standings in just 25 games. There would be a 21.5% chance that they would get one of the top 3 picks in the draft if the Nets ended with the 6th worst record. 65% chance that the pick wouldn't drop below 6th, not bad if you ask me.

I agree that it's a win-win situation for both sides. I would be interested to see how Williams will spark the Nets team into climbing out of the huge hole they are currently in and seeing if they can make some kind of playoff push. Its highly unlikely, but the more wins the Nets accumulate by the end of this year, the better the deal appears to be for NJ in my opinion. We'll see. In any event, whats done is done and I hope you guys like Favors and Harris. Both are class acts.

Return to The General Board