Charles Barkley is "certain he had gay teammates"

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Re: Charles Barkley is "certain he had gay teammates" 

Post#21 » by BubbaTee » Wed May 18, 2011 2:49 pm

Friend_Of_Haley wrote:
zulu wrote:pretty sure that gays control like %5 of the population, so its probably a little lower in the NBA, not higher.

Did you just pull that number out of nowhere or is there actual data to support that 5% claim?

And how do gays "control" people anyways?
ShelB
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#22 » by ShelB » Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm

Friend_Of_Haley wrote:
zulu wrote:pretty sure that gays control like %5 of the population, so its probably a little lower in the NBA, not higher.

Did you just pull that number out of nowhere or is there actual data to support that 5% claim?

Pulled out of nowhere and then used with a poor choice of words in "control".

5 star post.
zulu
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#23 » by zulu » Wed May 18, 2011 3:23 pm

ShelB wrote:
Friend_Of_Haley wrote:

5 star post.

its pretty well known that %5 of most countries are gay. Go do some research.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographi ... #Australia

omg, i said control, someone call the homophobia police! freakin nobody can make jokes about gay people now?
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,602

Post#24 » by dice » Wed May 18, 2011 3:31 pm

zulu wrote:
ShelB wrote:
Friend_Of_Haley wrote:Did you just pull that number out of nowhere or is there actual data to support that 5% claim?

5 star post.

its pretty well known that %5 of most countries are gay. Go do some research

5% sounds reasonable (maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less). it is also reasonable to think that the number in a professional sports league would be lower. probably much lower than the % of the general population
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Bergy
Pro Prospect
And1: 22

Post#25 » by Bergy » Wed May 18, 2011 3:32 pm

what is this joke you speak of?
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,660

Post#26 » by SunsRback4Good » Wed May 18, 2011 3:35 pm

Oliver Miller?
ShelB
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#27 » by ShelB » Wed May 18, 2011 3:42 pm

zulu wrote:
ShelB wrote:
Friend_Of_Haley wrote:Did you just pull that number out of nowhere or is there actual data to support that 5% claim?

5 star post.

its pretty well known that %5 of most countries are gay. Go do some research.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographi ... #Australia

omg, i said control, someone call the homophobia police! freakin nobody can make jokes about gay people now?

I wasn't calling you out of the use of the word, just that it was poorly chosen, had nothing to do with the subject.

Using the same wikipedia page you linked, it shows that there is no well known anything about how much of the population is homosexual. Not just because of a location's populous itself, or how open a place is to homosexuality (San Francisco versus a red state small town, for example) but the fact many people are closeted. Not to mention a bunch of other complications mentioned here:

Measuring the prevalence of various sexual orientations is difficult because there is a lack of reliable data, and because of the numbers of those who believe that homosexuality in itself is a disease. Problems gathering data include the following:
-Survey data regarding stigmatized or deeply personal feelings or activities are often inaccurate. Participants often avoid answers which they feel society, the survey-takers, or they themselves dislike.
-The research must measure some characteristic that may or may not be defining of sexual orientation, and that may involve further testing problems. The class of people with same-sex desires may be larger than the class of people who act on those desires, which in turn may be larger than the class of people who self-identify as gay/lesbian/bisexual.
-In studies measuring sexual activity, respondents may have different ideas about what constitutes a "sexual act."
-There are several different biological and psychosocial components to sex and gender, and a given person may not cleanly fit into a particular category.
-Studies with random samples containing sufficient numbers of representatives of small sexual minorities are expensive to do. Hence, most studies rely on volunteers who are willing to talk about their sex life, but who do not necessarily reflect the general population.

No one in that page does it even say "5% of the population is homosexual" anyway. The belief a concrete number can be put on how many people are gay for every straight person went out the window a while ago. Some people say 1 in 3, some say a quarter, some say 10%. It won't truly be known until every gay person comes out, which won't happen until it's not a stigma to be gay.
Ballah
Bench Warmer
And1: 573

Post#28 » by Ballah » Wed May 18, 2011 3:42 pm

I thought it was common knowledge that it was Dan Majerle.
Insanity91
Senior
And1: 68

Post#29 » by Insanity91 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:44 pm

What else is new
Meatcookie
Rookie
And1: 219

Post#30 » by Meatcookie » Wed May 18, 2011 3:45 pm

5-10% of NBA players are gay

35% of the better post up players are gay

23% of soft touch 3 point shooters are gay

67% of made up statistics are gay
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 991

Post#31 » by funkatron101 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:51 pm

Is it wrong to suspect A.C. Green?
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
Macho
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,422

Post#32 » by Macho » Wed May 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Rex Chapman, I fricken knew it!
Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM
And1: 374

Post#33 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Wed May 18, 2011 4:12 pm

Also the % of homosexuals in the NBA is just as likely to be higher than the general population than it is lower.
yellowsub264
Senior
And1: 149

Post#34 » by yellowsub264 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:55 pm

"...and LeBron James ignorantly adding that he could not trust a teammate who was in the closet because he believed untruthfulness in his personal life would actually hurt him on the court."

that was used in the article but doesnt specifically quote what he said. I dont remember anything about this
God gave me a passion for basketball that burns inside of me like that of a venereal disease
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#35 » by Next Coming » Wed May 18, 2011 5:23 pm

Listen if I was an athlete I would come out of the closet, even if I wasn't gay. Think of the endorsements and the attention. You could get into any Broadway show you ever wanted.

And a pretty cool fake documentary after your playing career proclaiming it was all an act.

Dog, if I'm a middling player like let's say Jameer Nelson, I'm holding a PC right now holding a dildo in each hand. Just saying.
JackFinn
RealGM
And1: 1,605

Post#36 » by JackFinn » Wed May 18, 2011 5:25 pm

I've seen quite a few polls re-apply in 10 years and show wildly different results. There are those who are ashamed to admit, those who are afraid, and those in denial. Also the varying degrees of bi-sexuality and attraction to transgenders that blur the definition.
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#37 » by Next Coming » Wed May 18, 2011 5:30 pm

Gotta be Dan Marleje or Hersey Hawkins.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 951

Post#38 » by SDM » Wed May 18, 2011 5:32 pm

AC Green. No one's ever seen him with a woman. He used the God thing as an excuse.
Art Vandelay
Lead Assistant
And1: 335

Post#39 » by Art Vandelay » Wed May 18, 2011 5:34 pm

I kinda doubt an active player comes out in the near future. Basically inviting weird looks in the locker room, isolation, trash talk,etc. Plus it puts a player in a place where they are made the gay athlete spokesperson by proxy. That doesn't sound too fun.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,336

Post#40 » by tsherkin » Wed May 18, 2011 5:39 pm

ginobiliflops wrote:
garrick wrote:I heard rumors that Tom Chambers might have been gay.

He's had like 3 wives and 5 kids overall. That is a false rumor.

That's actually 100% irrelevant. It's fairly common for homosexuals to fight their basic nature because of the pressure society puts on them, or even to discover themselves later on in life. The number of times a person has been married is meaningless in this context.

Return to The General Board