Jaylen Brown turned down $80M

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,496

Re: Jaylen Brown turned down $80M 

Post#21 » by HoopsterJones » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:29 pm

the sea duck wrote:
HoopsterJones wrote:Jimmy Butler bet on himself when the Bulls reportedly offered a 4 year $44-48 million extension before his break out season. He then got the max the following offseason which was double that.

Jaylen betting on himself now the same way. But he ain’t no Jimmy Butler.

He's also roughly the age Jimmy was when Jimmy went on to average 8 points per game.

I mean Jimmy was drafted at like age 22 so, doing the age comparison is disingenuous.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,059

Post#22 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:31 pm

Karate Diop wrote:Brown has Ainge on a leash. He knows that Ainge knows that he messed up multiple times by not trading him for significantly better players so now Ainge is likely to pay him to try and save face.

I mean if that was the case, why didnt Ainge just offer him the big contract now and save face right now?
timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#23 » by timO » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:32 pm

Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,490

Post#24 » by Bankai » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:33 pm

Brown shouldve taken it, he had a mediocre season last time. Does he think he will blow up this season? Could be another Nerlens Noel mistake.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,940

Post#25 » by bisme37 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:36 pm

Hield is being offered 4/$90M (and wants even more) and Siakam is being offered a full max extension. Brown is several years younger than both those guys and more proven in the playoffs as well. (Especially compared to Hield, but he's scored more over his 1st 3 playoffs than Siakam too. And again, he's 3 years younger.) So the team will eventually have to come up into at least Hield money I would think.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,411

Post#26 » by Tor_Raps » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:37 pm

HoopsterJones wrote:Jimmy Butler bet on himself when the Bulls reportedly offered a 4 year $44-48 million extension before his break out season. He then got the max the following offseason which was double that.

Noel also bet on himself and well...

I actually like Brown and think he can be a good player. A good player who should accept the 4 year/80 mill contract that will set him up for life.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#27 » by Stillwater » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Is he really worth more than that though? if so I guess I buy it making sense... on the other hand I am not entirely convinced that isn't an overpay from Boston to extend him either.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,990

Post#28 » by RCM88x » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:51 pm

He'll either cave or the C's will trade him for a FRP lower than where they drafted him and turn it into a worse player.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
igorbianch
Analyst
And1: 4,321

Post#29 » by igorbianch » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:56 pm

bisme37 wrote:Hield is being offered 4/$90M (and wants even more) and Siakam is being offered a full max extension. Brown is several years younger than both those guys and more proven in the playoffs as well. (Especially compared to Heild, but he's scored more over his 1st 3 playoffs than Siakam too. And again, he's 3 years younger.) So the team will eventually have to come up into at least Hield money I would think.

I don’t see why age is relevant here.

Theyre signing for 4~5 years, not 10. Siakam will be 29 by the end of his contract, so the raptors will get all of his prime.

In theory Brown has more to evolve because he is younger, but in reality Siakam has showed to improve his game way way more than Brown, despite being older, so I don’t see this as an argument.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#30 » by bisme37 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:59 pm

igorbianch wrote:
bisme37 wrote:Hield is being offered 4/$90M (and wants even more) and Siakam is being offered a full max extension. Brown is several years younger than both those guys and more proven in the playoffs as well. (Especially compared to Heild, but he's scored more over his 1st 3 playoffs than Siakam too. And again, he's 3 years younger.) So the team will eventually have to come up into at least Hield money I would think.

Theyre signing for 4~5 years, not 10. Siakam will be 29 by the end of his contract, so the raptors will get all of his prime.

In theory Brown has more to evolve because he is younger, but in reality Siakam has showed to improve his game way way more than Brown, despite being older, so I don’t see this as an argument.

It's relevant because he's younger and has already had a better career to this point. How is that not relevant? I'm just throwing out comps of other guys from his draft class, and saying I think he should get something in the middle of those two guys.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#31 » by bisme37 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:00 pm

Lost Angel wrote:https://uproxx.com/dimemag/jaylen-brown-boston-celtics-rookie-extension-update/

where do you think the celtics and jaylen settle?

80m over 4 years was the offer, about half of his max

The most another team can offer him next summer is 4 years $112.5M. So I'm not sure where you got that 4/$80M is half of his max. He's not eligible for $40M per year.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,565

Post#32 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:03 pm

Not sure why people are comparing Brown to Noel. It's a piss poor comparison.

1. Noel has absolutely no offensive game
2. It also had a lot to do with Noel's INJURIES

Noel's not even the same level athletically as he was in highschool and going into college which is perhaps the biggest reason he didn't get paid what he thought because he can't stay healthy and even when he is, he's unable to be the defensive monster he was as a kid because physically he's not the same player. With no redeeming offensive ability he is a fairly below average player.

While I agree Brown is not a max level player, he's certainly worth more now or ever than what Noel was/is. Brown is healthy for the most part and has sustained his level of athleticism. He's still a solid defensive player and has some upside offensively where he may not become a star in the league but could certainly be one of the better 2 way wings...Noel will never be anything more than a bench bigman who I wouldn't be surprised quietly exits the league within the next few years. Not comparable at all.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: WembGod - Face of the NBA Universe
Names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#33 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:04 pm

bisme37 wrote:
igorbianch wrote:

It's relevant because he's younger and has already had a better career to this point. How is that not relevant? I'm just throwing out comps of other guys from his draft class, and saying I think he should get something in the middle of those two guys.

How? I think both Hield and Siakam are both the better players right now. Brown has yet to have a season with a positive BPM. Per game stats or advanced stats for the regular season, both Hield and Siakam just had better seasons than Brown has ever had. Siakam just won a championship and put together a better playoff run than Brown has had.
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,928

Post#34 » by lakerz12 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:17 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
igorbianch wrote:

How? I think both Hield and Siakam are both the better players right now. Brown has yet to have a season with a positive BPM. Per game stats or advanced stats for the regular season, both Hield and Siakam just had better seasons than Brown has ever had. Siakam just won a championship and put together a better playoff run than Brown has had.

I'm trying not to use any harsh words, but it is pretty [insert harsh words] to say Brown has "had a better career to this point" than someone who was arguably just the second best player on a Championship team.

Hield and Siakam's stats last year were much better than Brown's as well. They are both a level above him.
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#35 » by Woody Allen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:19 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Yogatti wrote:This is the guy Danny Ainge didn't want to give up when Paul George, Anthony Davis, Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard were demanding trades.

3 of those 4 have been played for multiple teams in three years.

Ainge didn’t trade for them because he knew they wouldn’t stay. Smart decisions

I'm pretty sure 1 year of Kawhi yields to about a thousand times better results than 15 years of Jaylen Brown. Sorry, that's the opposite of smart.
Antinomy
Head Coach
And1: 7,617

Post#36 » by Antinomy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:19 pm

I don’t blame him.

Harrison Barnes’ 4/$88m contract will be the baseline for the average starting wing going forward. Especially if they have some sort of positional versatility or have an elite specialty.
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#37 » by Woody Allen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:20 pm

the sea duck wrote:

He's also roughly the age Jimmy was when Jimmy went on to average 8 points per game.

That's crazy talk. Butler has really strong impact on the game whereas Jaylen Brown is weak at best. Negligible. How can you compare the two.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,935

Post#38 » by jlokine » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:24 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Yogatti wrote:This is the guy Danny Ainge didn't want to give up when Paul George, Anthony Davis, Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard were demanding trades.

3 of those 4 have been played for multiple teams in three years.

Ainge didn’t trade for them because he knew they wouldn’t stay. Smart decisions

that's ok... celtics lost is raptors' gain... i would trade an asset like jaylen brown for one championship year any day... but i guess it's boston and championships grow on trees through the patriots and red sox.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,772

Post#39 » by Harry Garris » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:24 pm

Jimmy Butler turned himself into a great offensive player. We're still waiting on that from Jaylen.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#40 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:25 pm

lakerz12 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:

I'm trying not to use any harsh words, but it is pretty [insert harsh words] to say Brown has "had a better career to this point" than someone who was arguably just the second best player on a Championship team.

Hield and Siakam's stats last year were much better than Brown's as well. They are both a level above him.

Siakam's year speaks for itself, and Hield just put up a 20/5 season on 58 TS%. I understand the debate on do you think Brown will be the better player in 4 years, I get the Brown potential debate. I just don't get how you can make the argument that Brown is the better player than both of those guys right now.

Return to The General Board