Realistic trades involving Chris Paul

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

BballIntellect
Junior
And1: 151

Re: Realistic trades involving Chris Paul 

Post#21 » by BballIntellect » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:44 pm

I would love to see Chris Paul to Milwaukee. The Bucks are pretty much screwed in their capacity to improve for the next few years.

A Chris Paul for Bledsoe swap would probably do it with salary fillers being involved of course. That move would benefit both teams as both players are on horrible contracts.

From the Bucks side, trading Bledsoe and fillers for Chris Paul will move the Bucks closer to their goal of winning a championship as Chris Paul is still a much better player than Bledsoe.

From OKC side, they would probably be able to trade Chris Paul without giving up an asset or anything too significant by getting rid of him, which is almost an impossible thing to do in this present moment.
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#22 » by LakersSoul » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:48 pm

Michael Jordan wrote:I think OKC surrenders at least one pick in order to trade him. Dude's 34 with 120 million left on his contract.

Then he won’t get traded. I doubt OKC will add assets unless they get back some prospects.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,362

Post#23 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:54 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Okc isn’t giving up multiple assets to dump Paul. Anyone who thinks so has ulterior motives in their their assertion.

It's not about ulterior motives for me. I don't want him unless you buy him out. It's that contract, it's the injuries, it's the age, Those factors make me not want him in Miami. So, no, it's not about ulterior motives. It's about recognizing what that contract, attached to that player, represents. He's a cap crushing albatross...

I’m not saying it wouldn’t take multiple assets to dump him. I’m saying okc won’t/shouldn’t do it if that’s what it takes. He old, cranky and overpaid but he’s still a good player and we have to give our money to someone.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,420

Post#24 » by CS707 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:59 pm

Paul's contract actually fits ok with a rebuild timeline for OKC. Hold him for a couple of years while they build a foundation and then he becomes a huge trade asset. I'd probably hold onto him if I were them.
durka
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#25 » by durka » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:02 pm

What about something involving Wall? The Wizards just signed Beal to that extension which means they aren't looking to tank. If you plug in CP to that lineup they're probably a playoff team. Obviously OKC goes from bad(Russ), to worse (CP3) to terrible (Wall) in terms of contracts here, but they could probably scoop up another first to add to the collection with this deal and they're in a transition period so it hurts them a lot less to wait until Wall has recovered than to have CP3 be sulking.
Lilseb93
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,190

Post#26 » by Lilseb93 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:03 pm

Miami has no interest in Chris Paul unless there's a way to get him without hurting their future cap space which there really isn't that's realistic.
Heat Culture :hug:
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,801

Post#27 » by Michael Jordan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:06 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
Michael Jordan wrote:I think OKC surrenders at least one pick in order to trade him. Dude's 34 with 120 million left on his contract.
Not if he's really a 18/9 guy with 60% ts

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app

~18/9 I could see but not the 60% TS% when he's got no all-star support in a competitive WC. Even if he does manage to put up good numbers most GM's are gonna be hesitant to pay him 42+/year at age 35 and 36. I think OKC needs to include another asset for sure - unless they're taking back a horrendous contract in return.

LakersSoul wrote:

Then he won’t get traded. I doubt OKC will add assets unless they get back some prospects.

If he doesn't get traded its a lose-lose for both CP3 and OKC. They're stuck paying him 120 million during a rebuild and he misses the post-season during his final years.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:14 pm

Virtually every player okc cares about will be on a rookie contract. Paying cp3 doesn’t hurt okc. It’s not like that salary goes into the thunder savings account.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,431

Post#29 » by TheNewEra » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:18 pm

Pistons still seem like the best option if Griffin and Paul can put beef aside.

Paul and 2nd for Jackson, Snell, and Galloway.

Pistons-Are cap strung with Blake’s contract anyway. Drummond likely to reup as well. Make a push in the weak east with a modified lob city

OKC- Turns Paul contract into mostly expiring . Can ask for Svi to be a throw in. Begin the process of finding a team to take Gallo for assests
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,675

Post#30 » by orlando_joe » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:21 pm

THE J0KER wrote:CP3, Plumlee to Miami
James Johnson, Meyers Leonard, Evan Fournier, Will Barton, Carter-Williams, Denver-2022, Orlando-2020, Miami-2025 to Oklahoma
Goran Dragic, Juan Hernangomez, Clippers-2022(via OKC) to Orlando
Gallinari, 2020 2nd-Chicago(via OKC) to Denver

why in the world would magic do this? so bad
Ahmed1212
Senior
And1: 558

Post#31 » by Ahmed1212 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:23 pm

DwayneSchintzus wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:There are normally about 7 threads a day on the trade board with variations of the same few teams.

Even if Paul can’t be traded, based upon what Westbrook has done in the preseason with his sub 20% three point shooting on 21 attempts through 3 games, I'm content to keep Paul and the assets okc got for russ if a trade can’t be found.

There just isnt a good trade for him given his contract, the teams that need a point guard, and his age. My team is in a similar position with DeMar DeRozan.

Aren't the Spurs in talks of giving DeMar an extension?
Micro SaaS founder. Help people grow their Twitter and LinkedIn accounts. Subscribe here, https://www.postlyynewsletter.com/ for free tips on creating engaging content on Twiter and LinkedIn.
RunOKC
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,481

Post#32 » by RunOKC » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:29 pm

He'll be on Miami by the deadline
Rendei
Sixth Man
And1: 2,544

Post#33 » by Rendei » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:31 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:To Milwaukee for Bledsoe, Ilyasova and George Hill?

Wow, hard pass! Let's talk about JUST Bledsoe and Paul for the moment. Paul is 4 years older, has battled more injuries the past few seasons, is steadily getting worse every year at this point, and his impact stats from last season are right in line with Bledsoe's. Meanwhile, Bledsoe just put together the best season of his career. As a result, the WS/48 are the same, while Bledsoe has a slight edge in metrics like BPM and TS%. The counting stats like VORP and WS easily favor Bledsoe who played more games. Chris Paul is on the second year of a 4/160 contract, while Bledsoe just signed a 4/70 extension.

Now let's talk about fit. The Bucks move the ball, and when they don't it's in the hands of Giannis. Chris Paul is an offensive dictator who hates not being in control, which is exactly what the Bucks don't need. Bledsoe is perhaps the best point defender in the game, and sticks to his role on offense, which is exactly what the Bucks do need.

And don't talk to me about playoffs either, where Paul has been just as chokey.
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#34 » by NatiboyB » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:40 pm

Chris Paul for John Wall...

It only makes sense to me it seems because I want the Thunder to basically bottom out.

Chris Paul for John Wall

Why for Thunder: They bring in a younger PG who is out for the season currently but this will allow them to see what they have in Schroder and SGA. Also they can focus on developing the younger players as well and hopefully secure a high draft pick. Wall once he returns will likely be a bit different of a player but he is still quality and steady and seems to embrace the team leadership role.

Why for Wizards: They provide Brad Beal with a hall of fame Point Guard and that team going forward with Paul and Beal may be able to compete for a playoff position. And Paul has 1 less year remaining on his contract than Wall. So a year of Wall sitting vs Paul actually playing.

I think long term this benefits both teams. If the Wizards decide next season to move Beal or to actually improve the team they will already have a solid backcourt in place. If the Thunder decide to move Danillo also and go full youth movement they will still have John Wall the next season to be a playmaker potentially.
DwayneSchintzus
Rookie
And1: 1,521

Post#35 » by DwayneSchintzus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:42 pm

Ahmed1212 wrote:
DwayneSchintzus wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:There are normally about 7 threads a day on the trade board with variations of the same few teams.

Even if Paul can’t be traded, based upon what Westbrook has done in the preseason with his sub 20% three point shooting on 21 attempts through 3 games, I'm content to keep Paul and the assets okc got for russ if a trade can’t be found.

There just isnt a good trade for him given his contract, the teams that need a point guard, and his age. My team is in a similar position with DeMar DeRozan.

Aren't the Spurs in talks of giving DeMar an extension?

Yeah, unfortunately. Do you guys want him back??
These are the opinions of one lifelong Spurs fan, nothing more
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 42,102

Post#36 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:54 pm

-
Rendei wrote:

Wow, hard pass! Let's talk about JUST Bledsoe and Paul for the moment. Paul is 4 years older, has battled more injuries the past few seasons, is steadily getting worse every year at this point, and his impact stats from last season are right in line with Bledsoe's. Meanwhile, Bledsoe just put together the best season of his career. As a result, the WS/48 are the same, while Bledsoe has a slight edge in metrics like BPM and TS%. The counting stats like VORP and WS easily favor Bledsoe who played more games. Chris Paul is on the second year of a 4/160 contract, while Bledsoe just signed a 4/70 extension.

Now let's talk about fit. The Bucks move the ball, and when they don't it's in the hands of Giannis. Chris Paul is an offensive dictator who hates not being in control, which is exactly what the Bucks don't need. Bledsoe is perhaps the best point defender in the game, and sticks to his role on offense, which is exactly what the Bucks do need.

Chris Paul's worst playoff numbers are better than Bledsoe's best, you're right about his age but you shouldn't have brought up his playoff "choking" in comparison to Bledsoe.
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:59 pm

Assuming he doesn’t have an injury(which is a big assumption) CP3s impact numbers will rise significantly in okc.
BVB24
Veteran
And1: 6,035

Post#38 » by BVB24 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:19 pm

Milwaukee would definitely be the best fit in terms of a contender, but they simply can’t make the money work unless they include Giannis in the trade. Too bad cause he’d be great on that team and they’d be favorites to come out of the East.
Rendei
Sixth Man
And1: 2,544

Post#39 » by Rendei » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:20 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:-
Rendei wrote:

Chris Paul's worst playoff numbers are better than Bledsoe's best, you're right about his age but you shouldn't have brought up his playoff "choking" in comparison to Bledsoe.

Well, Chris Paul was either 1 or 1b on those teams. I'd hope he had better numbers. It'd be some form of all time shame if he didn't. The point is that when the lights got the brightest, he got worse and not better. I will admit that Paul was definitely better in the playoffs this season while their season numbers were comparable. So maybe not "just" as chokey, but the Bucks could have still won in spite of the poor performance of a 4/70 guy. The poor performance of a 4/160 guy is a different story.

Unlike Bledsoe, Paul plays well in the playoffs until he really needs to.
BballIntellect
Junior
And1: 151

Post#40 » by BballIntellect » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:22 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:-
Rendei wrote:

Not to mention Chris Paul's production was about the same in this past playoffs than it was in the regular season.

Meanwhile Bledsoe had the best regular season of his career but his drop off in play in the playoffs was actually so significant that it was shokingly embarassing.

He's the man that gave Terry Rozier a career, then he was one of the main reasons why the Bucks couldn't go to the Finals this year.

His complete inability to shoot and be a threat offensively absolutely killed the Bucks spacing in the ECF so the Raptors could key in on Giannis once they figured that out. I have no faith in Eric Bledsoe until he proves it in the moments that matter.

Return to The General Board