2023 trade deadline (February 9)

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,878

Re: 2023 trade deadline 

Post#21 » by LakersLegacy » Mon Jan 9, 2023 9:46 pm

Who is available on free agency this off-season. Are teams trying to preserve cap space or is trading the best option?
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,378

Post#22 » by hippesthippo » Mon Jan 9, 2023 9:54 pm

Alatan wrote:
TunaFish wrote:
mcmurphy wrote:If I'm Denver GM I'd be listening in the Toronto area (Siakam or OG).

Denver is looking for a bench piece not a starting level talent. Jokic, Gordon, MPJ, KCP and Murray are looking like a true contender level group with good chemistry. Bones and Brown are great in reserve. None of these guys are available.

Backup center is an issue and the only likely trade target but Denver has little to trade back after protecting the above (also no picks are available). If they find a bench piece it will have to come cheap.

MPJ, Gordon and Murray are fools gold. Especially MPJ and Gordon who being crap at defense disable Denver from ever seriously competing for a title.

Gordon isn't the 1-5 lockdown defender we were promised during the draft, but I'd hardly say his defense is a hindrance to Denver. Are you being serious?
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,130

Post#23 » by AleksandarN » Mon Jan 9, 2023 10:24 pm

mcmurphy wrote:If I'm Denver GM I'd be listening in the Toronto area (Siakam or OG).

Dream would be Jamal and MPJ for Siakam and OG. Most realistic would be a deal for players like Plumlee and Caruso . They have a 9 million trade exception. A backup big and another defensive guard
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,130

Post#24 » by AleksandarN » Mon Jan 9, 2023 10:27 pm

TunaFish wrote:

Denver is looking for a bench piece not a starting level talent. Jokic, Gordon, MPJ, KCP and Murray are looking like a true contender level group with good chemistry. Bones and Brown are great in reserve. None of these guys are available.

Backup center is an issue and the only likely trade target but Denver has little to trade back after protecting the above (also no picks are available). If they find a bench piece it will have to come cheap.

They have a 9 million trade excemption. They have that so they can get a backup for that. And I thought they have their 2027 1st they can trade
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,172

Post#25 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 10:28 pm

Spurs fans do y’all think Tre Jones might be available? Obviously he’s not an untouchable but curious if y’all think he might be shopped. There seems to be a good amount of teams that could use a smart backup PG.
TacoLord
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,272

Post#26 » by TacoLord » Mon Jan 9, 2023 10:31 pm

I think we will see the Lakers move Westbrook. Letting his contract expire doesn't really help the Lakers next year, they need to get some players with a few years left to fill out the roster and add some depth.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,727

Post#27 » by JRoy » Mon Jan 9, 2023 10:34 pm

POR needs to pull the plug but they probably won’t.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Memories
Veteran
And1: 4,974

Post#28 » by Memories » Mon Jan 9, 2023 10:39 pm

TacoLord wrote:I think we will see the Lakers move Westbrook. Letting his contract expire doesn't really help the Lakers next year, they need to get some players with a few years left to fill out the roster and add some depth.

The thing is, Lakers are also saving cap space. Not just to add in players, but to retain certain core players that are currently on one year deals (Thomas Bryant, Lonnie Walker, Austin Reaves, Dennis Schroder). Getting a couple of players on multi year deals would be good, but the tricky park is that it can’t be for a lot of money because then they wouldn’t have the cap space to resign there own talent.

Kinda a weird situation with their roster. And who knows if the current FO is still in their weird mindset of pursuing for a “3rd star”, which if that’s the case, they are definitely NOT going to go after players on multi year contracts.
Memories wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Memories wrote:So still not at all over yet.

Nah it’s over 121 to 107

Clippers go on a 15-0 run right after this, and eventually win the game. :lol:
dennythedino
Senior
And1: 625

Post#29 » by dennythedino » Mon Jan 9, 2023 10:42 pm

Any team looking to bolster their bench (Phoenix, Portland, etc) should take a look at Terry Rozier.
Memories
Veteran
And1: 4,974

Post#30 » by Memories » Mon Jan 9, 2023 10:46 pm

dennythedino wrote:Any team looking to bolster their bench (Phoenix, Portland, etc) should take a look at Terry Rozier.

His contract is gonna be very…scary Terry for most teams.

(Not sorry)
Memories wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Memories wrote:So still not at all over yet.

Nah it’s over 121 to 107

Clippers go on a 15-0 run right after this, and eventually win the game. :lol:
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,474

Post#31 » by CobraCommander » Mon Jan 9, 2023 10:55 pm

Clippers need to do something...that’s an expensive star studded turd of a team...
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,229

Post#32 » by DelAbbot » Mon Jan 9, 2023 10:56 pm

AleksandarN wrote:

Dream would be Jamal and MPJ for Siakam and OG. Most realistic would be a deal for players like Plumlee and Caruso . They have a 9 million trade exception. A backup big and another defensive guard

Toronto would consider Jamal for FVV + filler and no to MPJ even with 99% insurance on his back.
mcmurphy
Starter
And1: 1,995

Post#33 » by mcmurphy » Mon Jan 9, 2023 11:06 pm

DelAbbot wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:

Toronto would consider Jamal for FVV + filler and no to MPJ even with 99% insurance on his back.

... and I (as Nuggets GM)... "thanks, but I'm not interested"
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,229

Post#34 » by DelAbbot » Mon Jan 9, 2023 11:08 pm

mcmurphy wrote:
DelAbbot wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:Dream would be Jamal and MPJ for Siakam and OG. Most realistic would be a deal for players like Plumlee and Caruso . They have a 9 million trade exception. A backup big and another defensive guard

... and I (as Nuggets GM)... "thanks, but I'm not interested"

165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,888

Post#35 » by 165bows » Mon Jan 9, 2023 11:24 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Spurs fans do y’all think Tre Jones might be available? Obviously he’s not an untouchable but curious if y’all think he might be shopped. There seems to be a good amount of teams that could use a smart backup PG.

Agree, a bunch of teams need help at point and a good batch of them (MIN, Phoenix, Miami eg) don't have any extra $ they can take on. He's a sneaky under the radar guy.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#36 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 11:42 pm

165bows wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Spurs fans do y’all think Tre Jones might be available? Obviously he’s not an untouchable but curious if y’all think he might be shopped. There seems to be a good amount of teams that could use a smart backup PG.

Agree, a bunch of teams need help at point and a good batch of them (MIN, Phoenix, Miami eg) don't have any extra $ they can take on. He's a sneaky under the radar guy.

Exactly my thought process. Dirt cheap, and if the Spurs can flip him for like a protected 1st. That would be a hell of a quick flip on return for using a 2nd round pick for him a couple years back.

I also think if he goes to a team that isnt tanking and fine with him jacking up a ton of shots which is kind of the role he is in some nights with SA. Basically come in and play good defense and run the offense and be really smart (aka just like his brother), that can be pretty damn valuable. And ya definitely not a splashy name for sure, but one I can see being an under the radar good move if a team pulls the trigger on him.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,446

Post#37 » by G R E Y » Mon Jan 9, 2023 11:51 pm

Haven't heard him in any trade rumours and while it's true just about no one is untradeable, a 1st for a back up would be a hard trade for the receiving team.

And unless we are blown away with the offer, I'd be surprised if we didn't keep the lone true PG we have on the roster, one we actually need as well.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
rocketsfan100
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,351

Post#38 » by rocketsfan100 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 11:58 pm

Note able names

Fred van vleet
Gary Trent junior
Myles Turner
Deangelo Russell
Tim Hardaway junior
Jordan Clarkson
Terry Rozier
Derick White
Eric Gordon
Jacob Poetl
Myles Plumlee
Kelly obure
Jay Crowder
Malik Beasley
Kyle Kuzma
Evan Fournier
Can Reddish
Patrick Beverley
Kendrick Nunn

Possible huge names that could be moved but unlikely for whatever reason
Derozen
Young
Lavine
Ayton
Westbrook
Porzinges
Beal
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#39 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:04 am

G R E Y wrote:

Haven't heard him in any trade rumours and while it's true just about no one is untradeable, a 1st for a back up would be a hard trade for the receiving team.

And unless we are blown away with the offer, I'd be surprised if we didn't keep the lone true PG we have on the roster, one we actually need as well.

Ya this is the one speed bump I can see with him getting delt. I dont see the Spurs really pushing to trade him, so I dont see a team being able to get a steal for him value wise. And I can easily see him being one of those guys where he's more valuable where he is at than on the trade market. Because is anything short of a first (obviously some kind of protection) going to be enough for the Spurs to deal him? Dont see it. Maybe giving back a young guy and a couple 2nds? Then on the flip side, is any team looking to be buyers willing to give that up for Tre?

Thats why my question kind of falls upon, do the Spurs like him at his current salary but not too interested in giving him a new contract after this year. So maybe looking to sell on him now.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,446

Post#40 » by G R E Y » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:17 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
G R E Y wrote:

Ya this is the one speed bump I can see with him getting delt. I dont see the Spurs really pushing to trade him, so I dont see a team being able to get a steal for him value wise. And I can easily see him being one of those guys where he's more valuable where he is at than on the trade market. Because is anything short of a first (obviously some kind of protection) going to be enough for the Spurs to deal him? Dont see it. Maybe giving back a young guy and a couple 2nds? Then on the flip side, is any team looking to be buyers willing to give that up for Tre?

Thats why my question kind of falls upon, do the Spurs like him at his current salary but not too interested in giving him a new contract after this year. So maybe looking to sell on him now.

I think we have more cap space than anyone, or are at least in the top three, so while re-signing Jakob is a priority, there's no reason we can't or shouldn't also re-sign Tre. Caveat, of course, is unless we get blown away with offers for either or both. They've both earned new contracts, however, and continuity with players who know our system will be all the more important with a top tier prospect(s) coming in. Plus, they both feel like such Spursy players...

It's really more the vets like JRich ($12.2M, expiring) and Doug (less likely given he has another year on his $13.75M contract; but that security itself may be appealing. Plus Doug also feels like a Spursy player, you know?). It wouldn't surprise me if one of our back up PFs were to be dealt, too. Just a hunch. I think at least a guard and a PF get traded, with mostly picks coming the other way.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:

Return to The General Board