Porzingis: Jokic is the best player in the world

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,538

Re: Porzingis: Jokic is the best player in the world 

Post#21 » by Ben-N1ce » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:34 pm

MyTake_1 wrote:The thing is there is nothing special about Jokic or his skills. He just does the right things most of the time and he is smart about how he does them. There is no reason KAT could not do the same as many other players. But Jokic was touched by the hand of God and he has this crazy gift. It has to be annoying to some people but it is something we should enjoy while it lasts. He is the most enjoyable player to watch in similar but different way as Jordan was.

You don't just have touch around the rim like he does so no those other guys can't just do it.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,455

Post#22 » by Lunartic » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:41 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
Lunartic wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:
Laugh all you want but there are at least 7 teams better than anyone Denver faced in last years playoffs- Boston, Philly, Milwaukee, OKC, Minnesota, Clippers and Phoenix ( their roster is better than it was last year). That's not to say Denver can't win again this year, but it'll likely be alot harder than last year's cakewalk. Was any team they beat last year better than any of the 7 teams listed here this season? As much as some here like to claim it was some historical run, it wasn't.

As for this thread.........completely unnecessary to make. Ooh someone said the reigning NBA champion and winner of two of the last 3 MVPs was the best player in the world, better make a thread about it haha.

So your contention is that Jokic is actually not the best player in the league because despite winning back to back MVPs and carrying the team to a championship last season - other teams have improved this season?

How does that make Jokic a worse player?

Was Lebron suddenly a "worse" player when Wade/Bosh got old in Miami?
The Nuggets were never the most talented team in the league, they just had the most talented star.

Which player is better than Jokic?

No that's not my contention. Right now the answer to who is the best player in the world has to be him, for the reasons described. That's what makes this a useless thread.

My point about the competition potentially being much harder than last year was in response to the guy laughing at the statement that people will come down to earth on Jokic if Denver loses this year. I think their path last year was a joke, and you have many here anointing him as an all time great because of it. If he is truly that I want to see him beat say Minnesota and the clippers and then a team like Boston. That'd prove it me, and I think is more comparable to paths others who are considered all time greats took down, most of them repeatedly.

I think I misinterpreted your post, I only disagree that Jokic's run wasn't historical when the numbers he put up en-route to a championship were very much so historical.

Otherwise, apologies for my poor reading comprehension
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,563

Post#23 » by Zenzibar » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:13 pm

Jokic is a taller Larry Bird, how's that for comparison?
Stop All Genocides
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 4,053

Post#24 » by EmpireFalls » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:15 pm

MyTake_1 wrote:The thing is there is nothing special about Jokic or his skills. He just does the right things most of the time and he is smart about how he does them. There is no reason KAT could not do the same as many other players. But Jokic was touched by the hand of God and he has this crazy gift. It has to be annoying to some people but it is something we should enjoy while it lasts. He is the most enjoyable player to watch in similar but different way as Jordan was.

This heavily underrates just how strong the Joker is. KAT constantly gets big-boy’d and bodied by guys down low. Joker may be the strongest rebounder in the entire league and no one can stone him in the low post.

Also his hands are incredibly quick and precise.
CP3nthusiast
Junior
And1: 209

Post#25 » by CP3nthusiast » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:36 pm

I think Giannis still has an argument but there's really nobody in the league I trust more in the last 5 minutes of a close game than Jokic. Haven't felt this way about a player since peak Cavs LeBron.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,178

Post#26 » by AleksandarN » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:02 pm

Tottery wrote:He is and it confuses me. He is one of the most unatheletic players I've ever seen. He barely jumps off the ground, moves slow, flat footed on defense, yet here he is. His bball iq is top notch. So much so that it cancels out what I listed.

Highest BBIQ in game right now. In a league that still has Lebron and cp3. That’s crazy but it is true.
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,178

Post#27 » by AleksandarN » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:04 pm

Not true. Is not having best hand eye coordination and touch in the league not special? Kat doesn’t come close
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,346

Post#28 » by MrBigShot » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:15 pm

A lot of nba media guys and current players wont agree, but they know its true.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,065

Post#29 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:15 pm

MyTake_1 wrote:The thing is there is nothing special about Jokic or his skills.

What? Everything is special about Jokic's skills. What's not special is his talent, other than his height.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,445

Post#30 » by Lalouie » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:23 pm

only player in the 2000's who TRULY makes his teammates better
ReddoverKobe
Head Coach
And1: 6,955

Post#31 » by ReddoverKobe » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:51 pm

I mean hes earned it. Won the title last year and has been playing amazing this year.
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,374

Post#32 » by DC_Melo » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:52 pm

The person who wrote the second half of this paragraph should tell the person who wrote the first half that their take is terrible.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,234

Post#33 » by Lockdown504090 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:34 am

Ben-N1ce wrote:

You don't just have touch around the rim like he does so no those other guys can't just do it.

jokic literally has the most accurate floater in league history. how can that not be special?
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,931

Post#34 » by durden_tyler » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:02 am

One_and_Done wrote:When Denver loses in the playoffs this year we can hopefully come back down to earth on Jokic

Nope won't change the fact that he's the best player in the world.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
bdp31770
Junior
And1: 239

Post#35 » by bdp31770 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:16 am

Tottery wrote:He is and it confuses me. He is one of the most unatheletic players I've ever seen. He barely jumps off the ground, moves slow, flat footed on defense, yet here he is. His bball iq is top notch. So much so that it cancels out what I listed.

True, and there were a lot of people on this forum years ago who said that Larry Bird wouldn't be nearly as good in the modern nba. Then Jokic and Luka came along and showed you can still dominate with just mediocre athleticism.
Hobo4President
Analyst
And1: 3,243

Post#36 » by Hobo4President » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:18 am

Lalouie wrote:only player in the 2000's who TRULY makes his teammates better

Steph
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,445

Post#37 » by Lalouie » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:48 am

Hobo4President wrote:
Lalouie wrote:only player in the 2000's who TRULY makes his teammates better

Steph

S,,,,,makes the TEAM better, not players. like lebrob
OverAndOut
Junior
And1: 642

Post#38 » by OverAndOut » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:06 am

One_and_Done wrote:When Denver loses in the playoffs this year we can hopefully come back down to earth on Jokic

They may lose but it sure as hell won’t be because of Jokic underperforming like another current C.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,140

Post#39 » by One_and_Done » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:12 am

Get back to me after the playoffs
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Threezus
Veteran
And1: 1,634

Post#40 » by Threezus » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:58 am

One_and_Done wrote:Get back to me after the playoffs

Dude they nugs could lose in the 1st round of the playoffs and almost everyone is still going to say he's the best going right now because he is. So i don't see your point on this at all because it means absolutely nothing. just like Jordan could win a championship and then the next season have been put out in the 1st round. No one was going to say he wasn't the best player in the league at that time it's just dumb to think that.

Return to The General Board