Does Josh Giddey have exceptional BBIQ?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,957

Re: Does Josh Giddey have exceptional BBIQ? 

Post#21 » by Jakay » Sun May 19, 2024 10:03 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Jakay wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:If he gets tona place where he can run the offense then he's going to be an all star.

And that place would be China.

Or maybe a bench unit.

You think he will be playing in China?

I meant NBA All star.

It was tongue in cheek, but at the same time I don't see any NBA team giving him the primary reins to an offence. Not unless it's a really bad team.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 10,122

Post#22 » by HotelVitale » Sun May 19, 2024 10:04 pm

BBIQ's not really that useful a term anymore, not in the age of spacing where we see lots of types of smarts and ability to use/manipulate space.

Giddey has really solid vision and he's super tall for a lead ball-handler, and he has little dipsy-do and okey-doke moves he uses when he gets in the paint. So he reads the defense and has counters for what they do, but I don't know that he always has an answer or always has some way of making a play like lots of guys with BBIQ do. Or even that he makes stuff happen that other players wouldn't because of his reads and hustle. Saying he's got good general vision and plays calmly while reacting to the defense seems better than just 'IQ, yes or no?'
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,745

Post#23 » by zimpy27 » Sun May 19, 2024 10:10 pm

Jakay wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Jakay wrote:
And that place would be China.

Or maybe a bench unit.

You think he will be playing in China?

I meant NBA All star.

It was tongue in cheek, but at the same time I don't see any NBA team giving him the primary reins to an offence. Not unless it's a really bad team.

Keldon Johnson for Josh Giddey trade.

What do you think Giddey looks like with his passing IQ as the SF or PF in San Antonio?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Jakay » Sun May 19, 2024 10:13 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
What do you think Giddey looks like with his passing IQ as the SF or PF in San Antonio?

I think he can be a good fit in a few situations, just don't see him being the main ballhandler.

Honestly I think he'd really excel in a bench role. his skills are a better fit there as a do-all do-nothing.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,807

Post#25 » by Harry Garris » Sun May 19, 2024 10:16 pm

He appeared to earlier in his career when he was handling the ball and making decisions more often.

We don’t really have any way of knowing what his BBIQ is when OKC has him go stand in the corner and not do anything.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 22,569

Post#26 » by AussieCeltic » Sun May 19, 2024 10:20 pm

Jakay wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

I think he can be a good fit in a few situations, just don't see him being the main ballhandler.

Honestly I think he'd really excel in a bench role. his skills are a better fit there as a do-all do-nothing.

He’s shown when he’s the primary ball handler that he’s a 16/8/8 type of guy at a young age.

People are forgetting that in the biggest game last season in the play in game, he dropped 31/9/10 and was the best player on the court featuring SGA, Jalen Williams, Ingram, McCollum.

He needs the ball to be effective and that’s just not happening in OKC.

If I’m Washington, San Antonio, Utah, Toronto… I’m doing all I can to get him.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,346

Post#27 » by sfernald » Sun May 19, 2024 10:21 pm

He’s a great player who needs a new team who can use him as the lead playmaker. I’m thinking he might be awesome in San Antonio with Wemby.. Thoughts?
SweaterBae
Sixth Man
And1: 2,759

Post#28 » by SweaterBae » Sun May 19, 2024 10:22 pm

Reminds me of Jason Sehorn.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,410

Post#29 » by MagicMatic » Sun May 19, 2024 10:22 pm

Dominator83 wrote:I think he'll be an MiP guy if he gets moved to a team that can feature him more.

This is a good take.

He’s not doing a whole lot in his situation.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,410

Post#30 » by MagicMatic » Sun May 19, 2024 10:23 pm

levon wrote:
rapstarter wrote:Very smart and sneaky athletic.

Plays the game the right way.

Scrappy. A gym rat.

Did I miss any?
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,651

Post#31 » by mtcan » Sun May 19, 2024 10:33 pm

I like Giddey. I think he will raise that 3pt% a couple more percent to being average and that will open up the floor for him.

OKC needs a big body and I would trade Jakob Poeltl for Josh Giddey. As a secondary ball handler and perhaps a 6th man floor general for the second unit...he'd be a nice fit until his shot comes around by which time he can slot into the starting line-up.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 6,030

Post#32 » by Skybox » Sun May 19, 2024 10:34 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
levon wrote:
rapstarter wrote:Very smart and sneaky athletic.

Plays the game the right way.

Scrappy. A gym rat.

Did I miss any?

Plays for the love of the game.

Student of the game.
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,153

Post#33 » by axeman23 » Sun May 19, 2024 11:49 pm

Myth wrote:He seems very immature, like he may relate better with a younger crowd.

KembaWalker
RealGM
And1: 11,719

Post#34 » by KembaWalker » Sun May 19, 2024 11:57 pm

He’s not really good enough to justify the amount of usage he needs to maximize his strengths so like, what’s the point
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#35 » by Laimbeer » Mon May 20, 2024 12:18 am

He has the passion of a turtle.
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 681

Post#36 » by Pipp33 » Mon May 20, 2024 1:08 am

AussieCeltic wrote:
Jakay wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

He’s shown when he’s the primary ball handler that he’s a 16/8/8 type of guy at a young age.

People are forgetting that in the biggest game last season in the play in game, he dropped 31/9/10 and was the best player on the court featuring SGA, Jalen Williams, Ingram, McCollum.

He needs the ball to be effective and that’s just not happening in OKC.

If I’m Washington, San Antonio, Utah, Toronto… I’m doing all I can to get him.

Agree.

A lot of people just see what he's done this season in OKC and have written him off.

He's playing a role that does not suit his game at all, which is understandable, as Shai and Jalen both need the ball too, but he's being wasted in the role he's in. When one or both of them has been out, his performances have been vastly better.

And whilst I acknowledge his shooting needs improvement, this whole "He Can't shoot" narrative around him is over the top. He's not Ben Simmons. His % are not far below Cade Cunningham's and better than Jalen Green's (neither are great shooters, but they're not written off) ...They both have far more attempts, but it's far too early to write him off as a guy that won't improve his shooting.

Not sure about the fit in Toronto with Scottie Barnes there, but I think he'd be a fantastic fit in San Antonio. Wemby would have far better service than he's had this year. Washington would definitely be a place for him to get a chance to run the team and Utah could also be interesting.
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,177

Post#37 » by jazzfan1971 » Mon May 20, 2024 2:43 am

I'm OK with him being the matching salary/young piece in a Lauri trade. The picks will have to carry the trade, but unlike some jazz fans I'm not holding out for Williams or chet.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Jakay » Mon May 20, 2024 5:01 am

Pipp33 wrote:
He's playing a role that does not suit his game at all, which is understandable, as Shai and Jalen both need the ball too, but he's being wasted in the role he's in. When one or both of them has been out, his performances have been vastly better.

Malachi Flynn dropped a 50 spot once you took out all the good players.
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 681

Post#39 » by Pipp33 » Tue May 21, 2024 5:00 am

Jakay wrote:
Pipp33 wrote:

Malachi Flynn dropped a 50 spot once you took out all the good players.

Ridiculous comparison..and Flynn did it once...

Giddey has had many good games
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
vulture
Head Coach
And1: 5,635

Post#40 » by vulture » Tue May 21, 2024 5:17 am

He’s the least intense player in the league. Doesn’t get in a defensive stance ever and flips his hair during playoff games.
He doesn’t make second efforts and forget third. Giving this guy the ball is good for a tanking team but he’s not a serious basketball player imo.

Return to The General Board