Which of these players should be in the HOF?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

mattyj
Veteran
And1: 247

Re: Which of these players should be in the HOF? 

Post#21 » by mattyj » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:14 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Noticed these players aren't in the HOF . . . .which do you think should be a lock, marginal, or no way?
Terry Cummings - marginal
Tom Chambers - marginal
Adrian Dantley - yes
Walter Davis - marginal
Patrick Ewing - lock
Artis Gilmore - lock
Spencer Haywood - marginal
Dennis Johnson - marginal
Bernard King - marginal
Shawn Kemp - no
George McGinnis - marginal
Reggie Miller - marginal
Larry Nance - no
Hakeem Olujawon - lock
Scottie Pippen - lock
Mitch Richmond - marginal
David Robinson - lock
Jack Sikma - no
Buck Williams - no
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,872

Post#22 » by penbeast0 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:05 am

I think Sambone is the closest to reality; everyone wants to see their favorites in there but if Artis isn't in there already, are the likes of Kemp, Haywood, even Ewing really going to make it? (and yes, Ewing will because he played in NY; Rodman should have been on the list though not in the hall but Laimbeer had no shot even haters aside)
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,512

Post#23 » by Blame Rasho » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:15 am

AbdicatedReign wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Terry was a hell of an offensive player for a long time, no disputing that. But if we're talking about the Basketball Hall of Fame, I feel Kemp's overall impact during his prime is worthy of at least some consideration. He was the best (arguably) PF during a four-man windfall in the NBA and helped usher in the age of the hyper-athletic frontcourt players we see now. So, though he didn't have any 20/10 seasons (he did have four 18/10 and one 20/9 season-- Cummings didn't ever average 20/10 after his rookie year, by the by) I feel that he left a far greater impression on the game than raw numbers would indicate.

(As an aside, his numbers are quite similar to Cummings: 10 years of prime-level production, more career RPG and less career PPG; very similar FG%s; Kemp had better defensive numbers and FT%)

I don't think Cummings is a HOF player by any stretch of the imagination and I rate him higher than Kemp. It is just personal opinion.

Kemp was never even close to being the best PF in the NBA. In an era that had Karl Malone and Barkley.

I also remember his choke job in the playoffs vs the Nuggets...
Turisas
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 39

Post#24 » by Turisas » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:44 am

I think Mitch Richmond should be in the HOF. In his prime he was the second-best shooting guard in the league behind MJ.
a-rod
Assistant Coach
And1: 21

Post#25 » by a-rod » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:57 am

Turisas wrote:I think Mitch Richmond should be in the HOF. In his prime he was the second-best shooting guard in the league behind MJ.

MJ agrees with you
Michael Jordan said Richmond was one of the hardest players to defend in the NBA. "There really are no weaknesses in his game," said Jordan. "He can drive to the hoop as well as take the outside jump shot. He reminds me a lot of me in his overall offensive display
pillwenney wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:No thanks to Deng. I read a rumor surfing hoopshype awhile back saying Gay for Reke is a possibility.

Must be true, if it's a rumor you read on Hoopshype.
:rofl:
Mike Hunt
Lead Assistant
And1: 37

Post#26 » by Mike Hunt » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:09 pm

I understand the argument against Gilmore where he went from being "amazing" in the ABA to just "very good" against NBA competition but he strung together a hell of a lot of "very good" seasons. Enough to be in the hall of fame if I had a vote.

Mitch Richmond is a guy I've been debating for a while. I think that at this time, it's hard to put him in with guys like Dantley and King still out. All three guys have one thing in common and that's there ability to score. The one-dimensional nature of their skillset is what's kept the two older guys out so far but once one sneaks in (and I have a feeling one will), I think the others will have a much easier time. Richmond never had the monster seasons of a Dantley so I'd expect the latter to make it in first. alex English helped these guys out quite a bit too, I'm thinking.

Return to The General Board