Blazers - Lakers rivalry over the next few years

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who you got?

Lakers next 1-3 years, Blazers after
28%
Lakers now and beyond
59%
Blazers next 1-3 years, Lakers after
No votes
Blazers now and beyond
13%

Total votes: 39

KB20
Head Coach
And1: 4

Post#21 » by KB20 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:20 pm

Village Idiot wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

My point is that without homecourt advantage in every single series you're going to have a real hard time winning a championship. The West is a tough mofo this year.

The Lakers are good but they're not obviously and significantly better than everybody else.

You can say that about Dallas, Phoenix, San Antonio, New Orleans, and Utah. The west probably won't be decided until the last day of the season and it is going to be a war. Homecourt means nothing to great teams.
kookie_819
Assistant Coach
And1: 55

Post#22 » by kookie_819 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:32 pm

Patterns wrote:Lakers will be better than Portland as long as Bynum is still played.

:nod:

Bynum and his Sky Hook > Blazers
GJense4181
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#23 » by GJense4181 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:51 pm

D-Whistle wrote:You can't even compare Portland's future line-up to LAL's. It's not even close unless you want to get overly hypothetical about Portland's talent. Not a single person in the universe has seen Greg Oden play against NBA talent.

Sure there has!
He played against Mike Conley and Daequan Cook in practice at times. They are NBA talent.
He played against Courtney Sims and Brent Petway in college, they are fringe NBA players. He played against Alando Tucker in the regular season, and he's a first-round pick. He competed against Joakim Noah, Al Horford, Corey Brewer, Chris Richard, and Taurean Green in the NCAA Finals game.

Am I taking what you said at face value? Of course I am! But he has played against NBA players/talent.
Texas Longhorns
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#24 » by Texas Longhorns » Sat Feb 9, 2008 4:52 pm

Since when are the Blazers and Lakers rivals again? I don't think it will be a big rivalry right now. Lakers have ONE main rival. The Phoenix Suns.
- Vince Young - Kevin Durant - LaMarcus Aldrige - T.J. Ford - D.J. Augustin
CDB
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#25 » by CDB » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:22 pm

Texas Longhorns wrote:Since when are the Blazers and Lakers rivals again? I don't think it will be a big rivalry right now. Lakers have ONE main rival. The Phoenix Suns.

+1

Like Let's be serious here, Portland is struggling to get a seed in the playoffs while L.A. have one.

Phx vs L.A. > Portland vs L.A.
Dont Get Kobeterized!
giordunk
Analyst
And1: 502

Post#26 » by giordunk » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:27 pm

It's Farmar in the future.
i like peanuts
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#27 » by boogydown » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:35 pm

This topic should be more of a New Orleans Vs Lakers thread if you want to base on potential 5 years from now. Even then, Suns/Spurs/Mavs will still be around as well. Blazers need to worry about getting to their level before you call them dominant. Right now, they have Roy, and the rest are unknown. Aldridge is good, but lets see him play next to Oden before we make a decision on that.
That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#28 » by That Nicka » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:43 pm

Village Idiot wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

My point is that without homecourt advantage in every single series you're going to have a real hard time winning a championship. The West is a tough mofo this year.

The Lakers are good but they're not obviously and significantly better than everybody else.

LOL.. We just got Gasol, Bynum is due back in 3-4 weeks and there is still about 30 games left in the season... Its not ridiculous to assume we could end up with Home Court
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by Bgil » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:45 pm

farzi wrote:Wait, Bgil wrote a long winded post about how amazing the Lakers are this year, but didn't respond to the topic at hand. Well, I for one, am completely shocked.

Because the "topic at hand" is just bull. There's no LAL-POR rivalry and likely won't be in the future either. This is just some Portland fan's wet dream of attaching themselves to a team that is currently one of the most talked about in the NBA. No one cares about you guys now that you've run into a few road games and James Jones/Steve Blake aren't shooting ALL-WORLD 3point percentages (did I call that shiznit or what?) so here you come with this thread.

Why not make a thread about one of the two teams above you in your division? Or the two teams between you and the playoffs right now? Why the Lakers? Our bandwagon is full and we don't need some flash-in-the-pan-10th-place-and-falling team trying to hitch a ride.
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#30 » by NetsForce » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:48 pm

I'm not sure why some posters have the "Blazers now and beyond" when the Blazers aren't even going to make the playoffs this year o_O...
kandiking
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by kandiking » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:48 pm

boogydown wrote:This post is a joke.

Portland = Potential
Lakers = Proven Stars

Chicago had great potential, but they are back to square 1.

wait since when is 13 and 10 a proven star? andrew bynum is a 13/10 player at the moment (like biedrins, ouch).
Vindicater wrote:KWSN-Men is by far my favourite poster on realgm. He just takes so much punishment and just keeps coming back for more.
That Nicka
Banned User

Post#32 » by That Nicka » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:49 pm

boogydown wrote:This post is a joke.

Portland = Potential
Lakers = Proven Stars

Chicago had great potential, but they are back to square 1.

+1
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#33 » by Bgil » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:51 pm

kandiking wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

wait since when is 13 and 10 a proven star? andrew bynum is a 13/10 player at the moment (like biedrins, ouch).

Maybe he was referring to Gasol and Kobe. Or Phil Jackson.
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
That Nicka
Banned User

Post#34 » by That Nicka » Sat Feb 9, 2008 5:51 pm

kandiking wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Uhm... I think he was referring to Kobe and Pau (both have been All-Stars... Also 13/10>0/0 that Oden is putting up this season

Also keep in mind, they brought him along slowly this season... He started the season coming off the bench... As a starter he is averaging 15/11/2 in 25 games
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#35 » by Kobay » Sat Feb 9, 2008 6:20 pm

Should i apologize on behalf of the Lakers org for what the lakers are going to do again to the blazers?
Kobay
General Manager

Post#36 » by Kobay » Sat Feb 9, 2008 6:25 pm

Not to mention schedule wise lakers have sub .500 teams probably for the next 20 to 25 games.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,917

Post#37 » by theGreatRC » Sat Feb 9, 2008 6:25 pm

If Kobe can still be as productive as Jordan was in his 30's, it is Lakers now and in the future.

The success of the Lakers relies heavily on Kobe and how slow/fast his game will decline.

Also, nobody knows how Oden will play when he gets back. He fouled out a lot in summer league, and that was with 10 fouls. I want to see how he does in a faster, more physical pace with only 6 fouls.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
10scott10
Veteran
And1: 40

Post#38 » by 10scott10 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 8:00 pm

short term, I got the lakers.

long term, probably the blazer, but if the lakers keep managing to have good drafts, it will be very, very competitive.
Ming Kong! wrote:Greg Oden = Rickrolling a franchise
farzi
RealGM

Post#39 » by farzi » Sat Feb 9, 2008 9:36 pm

I should have known better than to make a thread/poll including anything that has to do with the Lakers.

Before the season started, fans of other teams were talking about how Portland could have a future dynasty, of all things. This year they've exceeded EVERYONE'S expectations, and yet now they're being talked about like they're one of the worst teams in the league.

And to the Laker fans talking about how its not a rivalry, blah blah blah, read the topic title. "...over the next few years", as in not right now, as in the future. I know Portland public schools are terrible, but the LA area ones must not teach reading comprehension either.

Also, gtf over yourselves, you're 2-1 since the Gasol trade, and you're a whopping .028 percentage points better than us.
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
Napoleon7
Senior
And1: 76

Post#40 » by Napoleon7 » Sat Feb 9, 2008 9:38 pm

Lakers will be one of teams to beat in the West over the next few years. The biggest issue they will have in the future is when Phil gives it up. Got to give him props for getting the most out of his teams.

Portland will have the upper hand in 3 years in this head to head series.

Return to The General Board