Whats so great about Ricky Rubio

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

ShaY
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Re: Whats so great about Ricky Rubio 

Post#201 » by ShaY » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:04 pm

We gonna have to see how his game develops as well , it will take at least 2 years until he enters the draft , maybe only in 2011.

A year ago he couldn't shoot at all from out side , now he is a decent spot up shooter.
We gonna need to see how he keeps developing.
“He didn’t miss?” , “That’s fantastic. That’s tremendous. I wish I could have a day like that. I dream of the day I could go 12-for-12.”-Rafer Alston
Duiz
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#202 » by Duiz » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:01 pm

Better reobunder than LeBron. Team USA puts his best perimeter defender on him...
Truthiracy
Sixth Man
And1: 71

Post#203 » by Truthiracy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:12 pm

Rubio is garbage, he'll have a Bargnani-type impact

/thread
Debate the Conspiracy master on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/truthiracy3
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,486

Post#204 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:19 pm

All I know is I was jerking off in the bathroom when I was 17. This kid's out there holding his own against the best guards in the world. He's obviously got a lot of room to grow, but I like his game a lot. He's clearly a difference maker.
king a
Junior

Post#205 » by king a » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:39 pm

Outside of the early rebound over James and that one handed ally oop I don't see him relaly doing that much he seems like a lesser man Chris Duhon :lol: :lol: I think draft fans overrate him.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,958

Post#206 » by Roger Murdock » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:00 pm

I think Rubio will lead the league in steals. Stockton doesnt have all those steals from being the most athletic player in the league, he gets them from playing smart.

I think Rose will be a better scorer. I think rebounding wise they will be similar, and defensively both great, but Ricky will likely be better. I think Rubio will be the best passer in the league though. Both terrific prospects, pick your poison, both answers are right.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,520

Post#207 » by Blame Rasho » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:05 pm

He has an unbelievable skill set for a 17 year old and has been playing vs pros for years already. He doesn't exactly look out of place today, he actually looks like he belongs on the most recent gold metal team.
Airness_ACB
Junior

Post#208 » by Airness_ACB » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:22 pm

As some people said, he's played today against Paul and Williams and no one would say he was out of place. which is pretty scary if you're talking about a 17 y.o. PG. Actually, he has played a better game than Calderon, and no one has a single doubt that Calderon absolutely belongs to the NBA.

Today he showed that he can physically stay in a basketball court against anyone. He wasn't abused by Deron's or Kidd's superior athleticsm in any moment, he was able to penetrate a couple of times and had no problems going against full court defense. Rubio's for real, and still 17, so just imagine what kind of a player he'd be in a couple of years with a better shot and a more mature body (much way to go in the last aspect).

His mind works sooo fast. If look at him, there where a couple of times in which Rubio anticipated to the passing line before the ball just went out to USA's opposing players. His basketball IQ is simply off the charts.
imonfire99
Junior

Post#209 » by imonfire99 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:39 pm

Rubio looked like he could be a good defender and passer in the NBA, but I doubt he ever becomes a good scorer, he only scored points on free throws when the USA reached in on him, he didn't really draw the fouls. The only other shot I remember is an airball on a layup after a spectacular steal. I could see him being a Jason Kidd-lite, not much else though.
aroba
Senior
And1: 43

Post#210 » by aroba » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:41 pm

...but he's clearly still 17 when he goes for the layup after the steal and then he stops and waits for Gasol and then he loses the ball and falls to the floor.
He's a game changer and top 17 player in the world....but, for God's shake, let's wait until he's at least 19!. He still has to even grow!!

Today I saw a jumping 3-pointer that he makes on second half that I just loved. keep working on that Rubio. GO!
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#211 » by carrottop12 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:49 pm

He will be an all-star in the NBA, and certainly one of the top PG's in the game for a while. He has great anticipation, a good feel for the game and obvious skills.

And the fact that he's only 17 and really did hold his own against the US. Wait 5 years from now when he's 22 and he should be a very good player.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,405

Post#212 » by Rasho Brezec » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:49 pm

I still don't like his shooting technique. It seems like he has to put a lot of effort so the ball would even get to the rim. He clearly needs to develop his body.
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#213 » by Celtsfan1980 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:59 pm

He's one of the few players today that didn't look too bad. There definitely is potential.
i-lion
Starter

Post#214 » by i-lion » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:03 pm

The only thing he needs to improve is his offensive game and he should be ready to be one of the top PGs in the NBA.
imonfire99
Junior

Post#215 » by imonfire99 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:12 pm

aroba wrote:...but he's clearly still 17 when he goes for the layup after the steal and then he stops and waits for Gasol and then he loses the ball and falls to the floor.
He's a game changer and top 17 player in the world....but, for God's shake, let's wait until he's at least 19!. He still has to even grow!!

Today I saw a jumping 3-pointer that he makes on second half that I just loved. keep working on that Rubio. GO!

What I said wasn't a slight on Ricky, he has the skills to be the best PG in the league like Jason Kidd was, I think a lot of people would be pleased if he turned out to be a sure-fire hall of famer who can pass, defend and run a team like very few other people. He's not a finished product, but I don't see him ever being a 20ppg scorer like a CP3 or Deron, but who knows, he's only 17 and could grow into his body and get better shooting form, he has a long way to go until he's a finished product.
Airness_ACB
Junior

Post#216 » by Airness_ACB » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:24 pm

imonfire99 wrote:
aroba wrote:...but he's clearly still 17 when he goes for the layup after the steal and then he stops and waits for Gasol and then he loses the ball and falls to the floor.

What I said wasn't a slight on Ricky, he has the skills to be the best PG in the league like Jason Kidd was, I think a lot of people would be pleased if he turned out to be a sure-fire hall of famer who can pass, defend and run a team like very few other people. He's not a finished product, but I don't see him ever being a 20ppg scorer like a CP3 or Deron, but who knows, he's only 17 and could grow into his body and get better shooting form, he has a long way to go until he's a finished product.

I agree to that, he won't be a superb scorer, but anyway he may be that kind of all around PG who defends, passes the ball, rebounds and still go home almost every night with 15 scored points under the belt.

But I definetely agree that he won't be a top scorer. However, he'd be a top defender and a top passer, and I wouldn't be really surprised if someday in the future he leads the NBA in assists and steals.

Return to The General Board