WCQF | P1 (2) Denver Nuggets vs (7) San Antonio Spurs

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who wins this series?

Denver in 4
1%
Denver in 5
8%
Denver in 6
25%
Denver in 7
22%
San Antonio in 4
2%
San Antonio in 5
3%
San Antonio in 6
23%
San Antonio in 7
16%

Total votes: 374

asas
Pro Prospect
And1: 588

Re: WCQF | P1 (2) Denver Nuggets vs (7) San Antonio Spurs 

Post#2021 » by asas » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:10 am

Riko wrote:
VinBaker6 wrote:
VinBaker6 wrote:Denver is playing the worst coming into the playoffs. I know a fraudulent team when I see one (Raptor fan), Spurs in 6

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
Yup

Yup.

You and everyone else that **** on the nuggets

I mean we **** on the Raptors for the same reason right? Looking average while still winning the series.
RRFB
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,280

Post#2022 » by RRFB » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:15 am

Hats off to the Spurs for a great series. Their roster might have some flaws, but they play hard and they play together. They were the perfect test for this young Nuggets team, imo. I'll be a Derrick White fan for the rest of his career.
Riko
Rookie
And1: 689

Post#2023 » by Riko » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:30 am

asas wrote:
Riko wrote:
VinBaker6 wrote:Yup

Yup.

I mean we **** on the Raptors for the same reason right? Looking average while still winning the series.

There is only one team that win the title. I am totally against the narrative that besides a title everthing else is a failure.
The Raptors in the last few years did an excellent job: fought hard and win a lot series but the basketball is about match-up and they have no solutions for Lebron.
BVB24
Veteran
And1: 6,035

Post#2024 » by BVB24 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:31 am

Good series Nuggs. Hard-fought battles almost every game. Best of luck next round vs Portland. Onward & upward.
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,867
Location: On the Dallas bandwagon for the rest of the '24 playoffs

Post#2025 » by -Sammy- » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:36 am

Congratulations, Nugget Nation! Thanks for a terrific series, congratulations on being the better team, and nice luck for exciting, injury-free basketball the rest of the way.

As has been said a thousand time already, the decision to not foul is mystifying. We were already behind the 8-ball, but maybe it was one of those 'Pop challenges conventional wisdom' moments, where he expected something to happen that didn't.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,496

Post#2026 » by G R E Y » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:47 am

BombsquadSammy wrote:Congratulations, Nugget Nation! Thanks for a terrific series, congratulations on being the better team, and nice luck for exciting, injury-free basketball the rest of the way.

As has been said a thousand time already, the decision to not foul is mystifying. We were already behind the 8-ball, but maybe it was one of those 'Pop challenges conventional wisdom' moments, where he expected something to happen that didn't.

I'm confused. Do you think he didn't want them to foul? Because he was calling for it all animated on the sidelines, on the court actually, then addressed it in the post-game interview, and the players did as well (not thrilled with LMA's response to it, but maybe judging a guy who's being defensive so short a time after his FUBAR non-response ont eh court is not cool. Too soon. For now...).

All plays make a game, and details add up, but short of punching out the ref to get attention, what else is a coach supposed to do? The timeout we had left was to be for AFTER we fouled and they took FT's. It was mystifying, but not the main reason we lost. Denver has something to do with that and they deserve credit, too.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#2027 » by Gooner » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:53 am

RRFB wrote:Hats off to the Spurs for a great series. Their roster might have some flaws, but they play hard and they play together. They were the perfect test for this young Nuggets team, imo. I'll be a Derrick White fan for the rest of his career.

Not only it has flaws, they have a lot of new guys. They have done a great job this season, despite losing this. Early in the season they looked like they were gonna miss the playoffs for sure. Credit to both teams, very entertaining series. Denver plays together and hard. Mike Malone desrves a lot of credit.
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,867
Location: On the Dallas bandwagon for the rest of the '24 playoffs

Post#2028 » by -Sammy- » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:26 am

GREY 1769 wrote:
BombsquadSammy wrote:Congratulations, Nugget Nation! Thanks for a terrific series, congratulations on being the better team, and nice luck for exciting, injury-free basketball the rest of the way.

I'm confused. Do you think he didn't want them to foul? Because he was calling for it all animated on the sidelines, on the court actually, then addressed it in the post-game interview, and the players did as well (not thrilled with LMA's response to it, but maybe judging a guy who's being defensive so short a time after his FUBAR non-response ont eh court is not cool. Too soon. For now...).

All plays make a game, and details add up, but short of punching out the ref to get attention, what else is a coach supposed to do? The timeout we had left was to be for AFTER we fouled and they took FT's. It was mystifying, but not the main reason we lost. Denver has something to do with that and they deserve credit, too.

We were on the road and I only listened to the game, so I didn't know he was calling for a foul. Bill Schoening didn't say anything about it during the play-by-play-- in fact, he expressed similar confusion that they weren't. So between that and the chatter here on RealGM, I was under the impression that they just didn't look for it.

I haven't had a chance to review video from the game or any of the postgame coverage, but now that you've told me this, I'm looking forward to it even more.
rrayy
Senior
And1: 382

Post#2029 » by rrayy » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:41 am

BombsquadSammy wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:

We were on the road and I only listened to the game, so I didn't know he was calling for a foul. Bill Schoening didn't say anything about it during the play-by-play-- in fact, he expressed similar confusion that they weren't. So between that and the chatter here on RealGM, I was under the impression that they just didn't look for it.

I haven't had a chance to review video from the game or any of the postgame coverage, but now that you've told me this, I'm looking forward to it even more.
A coach should not have to tell his palyers to foul. These guysa re paid professionals. They have been playing basket ball since they were young children. ANy player should be aware of the clock situation and how many points they are behind to know to foul on their own. The players are at fault, not Pop.
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#2030 » by LakersSoul » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:32 am

Where is the basic bbiq?

Down 4 with a few seconds more than the shot clock and these dopes don’t foul? What will get do with 3 seconds left? Setup a 4 point play?

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,060

Post#2031 » by karkinos » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:50 am

i mean
i'm not mad about them not fouling because i had +6.5 but man that last possession was super suspect as if they all had +6
Percentsign
Senior
And1: 652

Post#2032 » by Percentsign » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:45 pm

I saw Aldridge’s post-game interview. He basically said that he didn’t hear anyone calling for a foul, and he just missed it.

No apologies. No “my bad.” No “I made an unacceptable blunder.” No “I should have known.”

He brushed it off like nothing.7
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,349

Post#2033 » by The Rebel » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:29 pm

Eric Millegan wrote:
manchambo wrote:
Eric Millegan wrote:HAHAHA Nuggets forum saying "WCF here we come!" They're in for a shock.

You’re pretty lippy considering the blazers only won when Denver played their second and third string in a game they wanted to lose, and almost accidentally won anyway.

LMAO. You're funny. OKC beat us 4-0 during regular season. After we dispatch of the Nuggets in the playoffs, they can hold onto their little 3-1 regular season win all you want. It won't take more than 5 games for the Blazers to advance.

LOL, I cannot believe how cocky Trailbllazer fans after beating a team that would have missed the playoffs if the season would have been 2 weeks longer. We gave you the 3 seed for a reason.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2034 » by The Rebel » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:53 pm

I am really proud of how the young guys in Jokic, Beasley, Harris, Morris, and Murray, all but Jokic struggled at times but they fought through it and gave us reason to believe that they are worthy of being a young core. Jokic was every bit as dominate as us Nuggets fans could have hoped for.

I am very disappointed in our veterans Plumlee and Millsap were not very good for the level I expected, and Barton was terrible. The one thing that keeps me positive going forward is that both Plumlee and Barton are former Blazers and always seem to play well against the Blazers, while Aldridge has been a matchup problem for Millsap for years.

I hope Pop comes back another year and they get back a healthy Murray, maybe even change out Aldridge for someone who is a smarter player that plays Pop's way. He is a brilliant coach that deserves to go out coaching a team that fits his style better than this one.

I really like White (maybe it is the hometown kid doing good) and think he has a very good future with Pop. Poeltl is an underrated Center, while he is never going to be great on offense, he is a good defender that still has a lot of room to grow.

Going in most of us knew the Spurs were not the best matchup for the Nuggets, it had been something like 13 years since we had won a game in San Antonio. Their entire offense is designed to shoot midrange shots which is what the Nuggets entire defense tries to force other teams to shoot. They also had Pop who clearly was the better coach although Malone did not embarrass himself. It was a good entertaining series, with 7 very different games and I think the more talented team won in the end.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2035 » by The Rebel » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:55 pm

BombsquadSammy wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:

Pop really wanted them to foul, but Aldridge just flat out ignored him. It was loud, but Pop was well onto the court and obviously screaming with his hands waving.
Sharkboy242
Veteran
And1: 3,921

Post#2036 » by Sharkboy242 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:41 pm

VinBaker6 wrote:
Sharkboy242 wrote:
VinBaker6 wrote:Yes let's all keep quiet until the playoffs are over

When people say things like Denver has no shot, or the Spurs were about to sweep, you just sound silly. You're not Stephen A Smith, keep the crap fanboy takes to yourself. Even in the case that you're right - your assertion is still pretty baseless. Denver isn't a 54 win team because they roll over. Expect a battle.

Wonder why you didn't quote me?

Wonder why you didn't quote me after the series?
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,256

Post#2037 » by LLJ » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:27 pm

Riko wrote:
asas wrote:
Riko wrote:
Yup.

There is only one team that win the title. I am totally against the narrative that besides a title everthing else is a failure.
The Raptors in the last few years did an excellent job: fought hard and win a lot series but the basketball is about match-up and they have no solutions for Lebron.

The NBA is unfortunately a have and have-not league. You can have players that play hard and the best coach, but at the end of the day there are good players and there are great players. Sometimes boxscore stats don't tell the full story. DeRozan and Aldridge have put up comparable stats over the years to some greats, but we know they aren't on THAT level.

Coming into this series, the best player on both teams was Jokic. Now Jokic is still quite young and unpolished but his talent level and ceiling is higher than the best players the Spurs have. That was always going to be in Denver's favour.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,496

Post#2038 » by G R E Y » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:23 am

BombsquadSammy wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:

Sorry, Sammy, I didn't realize you weren't actually watching the game. It's a different experience whether listening, watching on tv or seeing it live and each one lends a different perspective. Hard not to go over this weird non-play, but it helps to remember that there were so many others that contributed to the outcome. It is one of many, they all count.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,881

Post#2039 » by TunaFish » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:13 am

TunaFish wrote:
jason bourne wrote:What do the Nikola Jokic fans say now?

They might say that Jokic is a 24 year old, 7 foot-250 lb center and is leading his team into the playoffs for the first time in years as the number 2 seed in the Western Conference. They also could point out that his season numbers for 2019 are 20.1 points per game, 51.1 % shooting, 10.8 rebounds per game and 7.2 assists per game. At age 23, he became the third-youngest player to reach 20 triple-doubles with only Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson ahead of him. In his 22nd career triple-double on 1/19/2019 he passed Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to move into second place on the NBA all-time triple-doubles list by a 7-footer.

I say as long as he can play, we are in for a ride.

Jokic's stats for the Spurs's series are 23.3 ppg, 12.1 rebounds and 9.1 assists per game. More importantly, his team advances.
Canned in Denver.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2040 » by The Rebel » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:04 am

TunaFish wrote:
TunaFish wrote:
jason bourne wrote:What do the Nikola Jokic fans say now?

They might say that Jokic is a 24 year old, 7 foot-250 lb center and is leading his team into the playoffs for the first time in years as the number 2 seed in the Western Conference. They also could point out that his season numbers for 2019 are 20.1 points per game, 51.1 % shooting, 10.8 rebounds per game and 7.2 assists per game. At age 23, he became the third-youngest player to reach 20 triple-doubles with only Oscar Robertson and Magic Johnson ahead of him. In his 22nd career triple-double on 1/19/2019 he passed Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to move into second place on the NBA all-time triple-doubles list by a 7-footer.

I say as long as he can play, we are in for a ride.

Jokic's stats for the Spurs's series are 23.3 ppg, 12.1 rebounds and 9.1 assists per game. More importantly, his team advances.

He also did a hell of a job defending Aldridge when he was put on him.

Return to The General Board