Are the Warriors contenders?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Are the Warriors contenders?

Yes
51%
No
49%

Total votes: 369

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,660

Re: Are the Warriors contenders? 

Post#221 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:03 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:I'll be rooting for them or DEN to come out of the West.

The two most beautiful teams to watch, so I’m right there with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Peregrine01
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,878

Post#222 » by Peregrine01 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:18 pm

For reference, the Warriors are currently a 11.9 SRS team (which adjusts for strength of schedule)...this is higher than what they did in their 2017 season. The Heat are a distant second at 7.3. They're not just contenders but they look like the best team in the league by a fair margin.
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,575

Post#223 » by rockmanslim » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:24 pm

I've watched every GSW game because Curry, and maybe I need to pay closer attention while watching, but when Curry isn't on the floor they look like a G-league team. Who creates consistent offense when he's not on the floor? Even in his down games, his presence on the floor is what drives their offense and creates opportunities for everyone else. There's no one else in the lineup that teams fear. Poole? Living off the attention Curry draws AFAICT. Wiggins? LOL.

This is all Curry. While it speaks to his greatness, it makes them extremely fragile, being completely and utterly dependent on one guy. It's fun as hell to watch though. If he pulls this off...actually, I guess we won't find out since Klay will be back. But hypothetically if he were to pull this off ('chip) without Klay, oh man. *chef's kiss*
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

art_tatum
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,182

Post#224 » by art_tatum » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:26 am

Hits the road and their 3point shooting tanks
Loses to the hornets tonight
MindState
Veteran
And1: 3,467

Post#225 » by MindState » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:30 am

art_tatum wrote:Hits the road and their 3point shooting tanks
Loses to the hornets tonight

I dont think they are going 74-8 this year.

Losses are going to happen. Looking forward to seeing this thread get bumped every time they lose a game though. Warriors are definitely back.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,975

Post#226 » by Jabroni Lames » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:32 am

Almost every team is a contender this year.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#227 » by DroseReturnChi » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:40 am

they lost to hornets. no.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
WESCO
Head Coach
And1: 981

Post#228 » by WESCO » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:21 am

Exposed
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,538

Post#229 » by GoBobs » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:26 am

They are very good, go check the point dif casual
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,714

Post#230 » by Warriorfan » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:25 am

Another convincing win by the Warriors
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#231 » by DroseReturnChi » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:27 am

Peregrine01 wrote:For reference, the Warriors are currently a 11.9 SRS team (which adjusts for strength of schedule)...this is higher than what they did in their 2017 season. The Heat are a distant second at 7.3. They're not just contenders but they look like the best team in the league by a fair margin.

thats why its stupid to take their streak at face value 0% chance they are better than dynasty. almost no one is going to believe they are 12 srs team for the whole season for 10 games. you need to wait at least until december to make a judgement. this team has bad history for 2 straight yrs choking starting from their core. changing some role players shouldnt give you 10+ wins.

i dont mind them winning 60wins but their formula for winning is just built wrong. you want wiseman and 2 rookies to carry you to 60 wins not some vet min ring chasers on 1 yr deals having hot streaks. not having a big 3 also hurts a lot. this team is still 1 man team. even if they miraculously get 60 wins they will not make out of 1st/2nd round and wont sustain it for 3 yrs.

until i see wiseman having roy type numbers and klay being 100% all star level im going to be very doubtful even more than derozan being a number 1 option and netting them 60 wins.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,420

Post#232 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:33 am

rockmanslim wrote:I've watched every GSW game because Curry, and maybe I need to pay closer attention while watching, but when Curry isn't on the floor they look like a G-league team. Who creates consistent offense when he's not on the floor? Even in his down games, his presence on the floor is what drives their offense and creates opportunities for everyone else. There's no one else in the lineup that teams fear. Poole? Living off the attention Curry draws AFAICT. Wiggins? LOL.

This is all Curry. While it speaks to his greatness, it makes them extremely fragile, being completely and utterly dependent on one guy. It's fun as hell to watch though. If he pulls this off...actually, I guess we won't find out since Klay will be back. But hypothetically if he were to pull this off ('chip) without Klay, oh man. *chef's kiss*

Yeah its incredible but I'm pretty sure they're a negative with curry off the floor. The gap would be even larger except he was only plus 17 in a blowout win over the lolicans.

Curry's had some huge plus minus games of late. He was plus 14 in their 4 point loss. He was plus 12 in a three point loss. So he's not even close to a minus in their lost games.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/curryst01/gamelog/2022]

There's a natural inclination to think, surely curry's been great, but the rest of the team must be pretty amazing as well...well, I wouldn't say the plus minus data (the gap between curry playing vs not) really supports that at all.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,361

Post#233 » by CobraCommander » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:40 am

Warriorfan wrote:Another convincing win by the Warriors

Also known as a beat down and it’s like Curry having a reunion tour to remind the world he still the only unanimous mvp ever.

For me the early mvp and baddest man on planet earth was
1. Joker
2. KD
3. Giannis
Distant behind
4. Curry

In another galaxy the next group with Butler and PG13

Then the rest of what Evers...

Now it’s Curry and Jokic...then KD and last realistic mvp is Giannis.

Convincing beat down
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,249

Post#234 » by TimRobbins » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:29 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:Almost every team is a contender this year.

No. Right now it looks like the Warriors and a bunch of very far seconds.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,299

Post#235 » by Impuniti » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:46 pm

Warriors have won 9 of the last 10 games, all by double digits. They can't keep getting away with this easy schedule!

Warriorfan
RealGM

Post#236 » by Warriorfan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:04 pm

How many wins until realgm considers GS contenders.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,701

Post#237 » by WarriorGM » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:10 pm

Contenders for the greatest team of all-time? They'll probably have to go 73-9 in the regular season and then 16-2 in the playoffs.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#238 » by lars_rosenberg » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:23 pm

With Klay still out, but close to his return, yes they look very good and ready to contend.
The schedule has been easier than for other teams so they have a little bit of advantage here, but it's undeniable they have been playing pretty well overall.

Curry is the best player in the NBA, but finally he also has a decent squad around him. Dray is playing like a DPOY, Wiggins and Jordan Poole are solid second/third options who can also defend, Looney is the quiet and boring center that's always in the right position and makes the right play, Otto Porter and Nemanja Bjelica are snipers, Gary Payton defends like his father and dunks like Vince Carter, Damion Lee and Toscano-Anderson are reliable role players that know Kerr's system well.

GSW was able to get rid of the bad players that didn't fit (Oubre, Wanamaker and, even if he's still in the team, Wiseman) and replaced them with players who integrate well in the system.

Kuminga, Moody and Wiseman have no pressure, they'll eventually earn their minutes, but only when they are ready.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,402

Post#239 » by SpreeS » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:09 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:
Peregrine01 wrote:For reference, the Warriors are currently a 11.9 SRS team (which adjusts for strength of schedule)...this is higher than what they did in their 2017 season. The Heat are a distant second at 7.3. They're not just contenders but they look like the best team in the league by a fair margin.

thats why its stupid to take their streak at face value 0% chance they are better than dynasty. almost no one is going to believe they are 12 srs team for the whole season for 10 games. you need to wait at least until december to make a judgement. this team has bad history for 2 straight yrs choking starting from their core. changing some role players shouldnt give you 10+ wins.

i dont mind them winning 60wins but their formula for winning is just built wrong. you want wiseman and 2 rookies to carry you to 60 wins not some vet min ring chasers on 1 yr deals having hot streaks. not having a big 3 also hurts a lot. this team is still 1 man team. even if they miraculously get 60 wins they will not make out of 1st/2nd round and wont sustain it for 3 yrs.

until i see wiseman having roy type numbers and klay being 100% all star level im going to be very doubtful even more than derozan being a number 1 option and netting them 60 wins.

:lol:
Warriorfan
RealGM

Post#240 » by Warriorfan » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:55 pm

SpreeS wrote:
DroseReturnChi wrote:

:lol:

Beating BKN and Chi plus winning without Curry means something.

PHX looks like it has all together so there may be a race till the end.

Return to The General Board