NBA Teams And NBA Era Team USA Have Lost 36 Times To International Teams

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,372

Re: USA Teams With 12 NBA Players Have Lost 16 Times In FIBA Play Since 2002 

Post#241 » by DC_Melo » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:12 am

LukaMagic wrote:Saying "this isn't 1992 anymore" has two points in it:
1. Yes, "the world" progressed a lot in terms of talent and overall bball knowledge, but:
2. it also means that USA talent regressed big time compared to the dream team, even if USA would send all of their best players today.

And that 2nd point should be concerning to americans.. It shows that development of young players (pre-pro career) and even nba player development is severely lacking. Why is that?

And please stop with the "we don't care about FIBA" - american talent in the NBA is arguably at an all time low, do you care about that?

This is quite a stretch in logic. Not sure how such a claim can be made as other nations have been getting better and fielding more competitive teams while the US has made zero to no attempt at re-creating a Dream Team ever since.

Even if it was true… why should Americans be concerned?

David Stern’s publicly stated objective for creating a Dream Team was to roll out a superstar exhibition team that would shine on the world stage and attract more nations to competitive basketball. And that plan has worked out even better than Stern could have anticipated, something he happily acknowledged in his later years as commissioner.

Americans want to see the global game get more competitive. Nobody is scared or worried we might lose. Better international competition means better quality international players entering the league, which is exactly what we really want.

Some people are so jaded against America, they can’t see that most of us are rooting for international play to continue improving.
LukaMagic
Senior
And1: 683

Post#242 » by LukaMagic » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:33 am

DC_Melo wrote:
1. Yes, "the world" progressed a lot in terms of talent and overall bball knowledge, but:
2. it also means that USA talent regressed big time compared to the dream team, even if USA would send all of their best players today.

And that 2nd point should be concerning to americans.. It shows that development of young players (pre-pro career) and even nba player development is severely lacking. Why is that?

And please stop with the "we don't care about FIBA" - american talent in the NBA is arguably at an all time low, do you care about that?

This is quite a stretch in logic. Not sure how such a claim can be made as other nations have been getting better and fielding more competitive teams while the US has made zero to no attempt at re-creating a Dream Team ever since.

David Stern’s publicly stated objective for creating a Dream Team was to roll out a superstar exhibition team that would shine on the world stage and attract more nations to competitive basketball. And that plan has worked out even better than Stern could have anticipated, something he happily acknowledged in his later years as commissioner.

Americans want to see the global game get more competitive. Nobody is scared or worried we might lose. Better international competition means better quality international players entering the league, which is exactly what we really want.

Some people are so jaded against America, they can’t see that most of us are rooting for international play to continue improving.

Oh cmon, do you really believe that the best team USA could assemble today is even remotely comparable to the '92 dream team top to bottom? And that fact has nothing to do with the improvement of the international competition.
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,372

Post#243 » by DC_Melo » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:43 pm

LukaMagic wrote:
DC_Melo wrote:

Oh cmon, do you really believe that the best team USA could assemble today is even remotely comparable to the '92 dream team top to bottom? And that fact has nothing to do with the improvement of the international competition.

I honestly can’t say I’ve given it much thought…

But yea, I imagine we could roll out a roster that would put up a fight against the dream team

Curry/Dame/Trae
Khawhi/Booker/Edwards
Durant/PG
Lebron/Bridges/Green
Embiid/Davis

This is just a quick roster I thought up. I’m sure there’s a couple key guys I snubbed/left off

Is that a line up that could win against the Dream Team? They’d probly be slight underdogs, but that would be a fun as hell game to watch and likely very close.

Although we might not have anyone that can match up with Laettner…
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 42,052

Post#244 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:06 pm

Stop playing small, bring a balanced roster that has a big frontcourt, the Warriors have two bigs in their starting 5 that can't shoot the 3 with volume and they make it work. Put AD at the 4 next to a 7 footer and pound teams on the glass and focus on bringing more perimeter players with size, Jaden McDaniels needs to be on the team.

If the US actually gets Embiid start him and AD together, enough of this small ball garbage.
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,495

Re: USA Teams With 12 NBA Players Have Lost 17 Times In FIBA Play Since 2002 

Post#245 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:27 pm

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,441

Post#246 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:29 pm

How ya gonna let Dillon Brooks give ya a near 40 piece lol
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,495

Post#247 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:35 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:How ya gonna let Dillon Brooks give ya a near 40 piece lol

According to all of the NBA 'basketball experts", everyone knows that NBA players "play the best defense in the world"....
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,083

Post#248 » by BelgradeNugget » Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:23 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:How ya gonna let Dillon Brooks give ya a near 40 piece lol

According to all of the NBA 'basketball experts", everyone knows that NBA players "play the best defense in the world"....

Yes, we all know Spanoulis was better defender than all of them, but as 'basketball expert" can you give us your expertise on Bred Miller vs Jokic, just for laughs :D
Mirotic12 wrote:Jokic is peak Brad Miller with worse defense and less physicality. Yeah, he's clearly overrated. But that's what happens when the center position becomes so bad overall.
maradro
Senior
And1: 377

Post#249 » by maradro » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:11 pm

these dudes talking about America's wealth of players, multiple teams we can put together and then they go list embiid as the starting C are too funny :lol:
_qubik
Starter
And1: 1,337

Re: 12 NBA Players Team USA's 16 Losses In FIBA Play Since 2002 

Post#250 » by _qubik » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:47 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
But there was a 0% change of the basketball being high quality which is really my point. These events just suck. it's sloppy bad ball. I don't get what people enjoy about it.

Depends why they're watching, no?

If it's because they think they're seeing the best teams with the best players in the world going against each other to prove who's the best?

Well, nope it's not that.

However, if it's out of a sense of national pride, then none of that matters.

If it's because there are players on the team they like and have followed, then none of that matters.

If they were watching because they were hoping to see the US team get upset, then none of that matters.

Regardless, it doesn't hurt to be gracious, it comes easy when "your team" wins all the time. :D

I can't watch a player I like in these games. I'm just thinking "please don't get hurt in a meaningless game" the whole time.

And if you wanted national pride, I'd want to see something like the best high school TEAM from each country or something play. That'd be cool. Not a team of the best high school kids, but the actual best high school team. Or something like that. No pro's and not a beat of team that didn't play together all year.

This model exist only on USA, NBA is a joke on "not getting hurt in meaningless game" 82 games a year is meaningless is the league, that might be the problem.

Its a nations league, its very, very nice to see each country going against it other. Unknown players, bad ball, its part of it, to see their is talent or the lack of worldwide. Why care to win a NBA title only if I might win one plus World Cup or Olympics. To be a world Champion is way better to be the winner of a country league.

Americans are used to make sports events big worldwide (TV spectacle) of sports played only there. Half of Europeans soccer team, heck even our poor south America teams can obliterate the MLS teams, yet we will play you at World Team Champioship, and none of us call ourselves world champions when winning national league.

Money tells it too, NBA is just a small league compared to the money being dished on soccer worldwide. Basketball, American Football and Baseball are sports we see for fun worldwide, the show is great, its different from what we got, but its leagues away in meaning, pride, importance.
wemby
Senior
And1: 339

Re: USA Teams With 12 NBA Players Have Lost 10 Times In FIBA Play Since 2002 

Post#251 » by wemby » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:28 am

The Real Dalic wrote:Hmm. I see a trend here. It seems to me that 5 of the 8 players that were bolded were NBA players. Most of them All-Stars (Ginobili twice, Gobert, Peja) and one decent role player (Arroyo.) Yep, checks out since the NBA clearly has the best talent, so I believe this list.

In 2002 when Argentina beat the US Ginobili had yet to play in the NBA. Technically Wolkowyski and Pepe Sanchez had played a few minutes in the NBA, but they weren't established NBA players (and wouldn't for the rest of their careers), so that Argentina team beat the US without a single true NBA player at the time (Scola, Nocioni and Oberto eventually played significant roles in the NBA).
KodiakBear
Sixth Man
And1: 2,189

Post#252 » by KodiakBear » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:42 am

The US needs to do a much better job of constructing a roster and they also need to construct it sooner. Obviously injuries happen and they should have a backup plan for guys, but we should all know the team much sooner.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,778

Post#253 » by iLLmatic860 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:59 am

KodiakBear wrote:The US needs to do a much better job of constructing a roster and they also need to construct it sooner. Obviously injuries happen and they should have a backup plan for guys, but we should all know the team much sooner.

isnt this more on the American players not caring about Fiba?

im sure team usa is hoping for superstars to want to commit. which they dont, so team usa has to construct a last min roster
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,961

Post#254 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:21 am

_qubik wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Depends why they're watching, no?

If it's because they think they're seeing the best teams with the best players in the world going against each other to prove who's the best?

Well, nope it's not that.

However, if it's out of a sense of national pride, then none of that matters.

If it's because there are players on the team they like and have followed, then none of that matters.

If they were watching because they were hoping to see the US team get upset, then none of that matters.

Regardless, it doesn't hurt to be gracious, it comes easy when "your team" wins all the time. :D

I can't watch a player I like in these games. I'm just thinking "please don't get hurt in a meaningless game" the whole time.

And if you wanted national pride, I'd want to see something like the best high school TEAM from each country or something play. That'd be cool. Not a team of the best high school kids, but the actual best high school team. Or something like that. No pro's and not a beat of team that didn't play together all year.

This model exist only on USA, NBA is a joke on "not getting hurt in meaningless game" 82 games a year is meaningless is the league, that might be the problem.

Its a nations league, its very, very nice to see each country going against it other. Unknown players, bad ball, its part of it, to see their is talent or the lack of worldwide. Why care to win a NBA title only if I might win one plus World Cup or Olympics. To be a world Champion is way better to be the winner of a country league.

Americans are used to make sports events big worldwide (TV spectacle) of sports played only there. Half of Europeans soccer team, heck even our poor south America teams can obliterate the MLS teams, yet we will play you at World Team Champioship, and none of us call ourselves world champions when winning national league.

Money tells it too, NBA is just a small league compared to the money being dished on soccer worldwide. Basketball, American Football and Baseball are sports we see for fun worldwide, the show is great, its different from what we got, but its leagues away in meaning, pride, importance.

What in the hell is a national league?

The NBA is the gold standard of real international sports leagues. Just sick of stupid arguments like this.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,400

Post#255 » by SpreeS » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:22 am

We could all agree that all these superstars wont play for USA NT bc of they are old and injury prone.

avg played games in last 4 RS

Davis 49
Lebron 56
Durant 34
Lillard 55
Curry 47
Butler 58
Kawhi 40
George 47
Harden 59

Tatum/Booker/Adebayo must be the basement of the team around which the rest must be built

Adebayo
Tatum
Bridges
Booker
Haliburton
_qubik
Starter
And1: 1,337

Post#256 » by _qubik » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:58 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
_qubik wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

The NBA is the gold standard of real international sports leagues. Just sick of stupid arguments like this.

NBA is a national league, Premier League is a national league, La Liga is a national league, you wont stop being a national league until you start playing teams all around the world, or at least the continent
Airmiess
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,528

Post#257 » by Airmiess » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:31 am

These new crop of US stars are just not very imposing to international play outside of Tatum and Zion.

The international stars are actually overtaking the American NBA product.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,961

Post#258 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:23 pm

_qubik wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
_qubik wrote:

NBA is a national league, Premier League is a national league, La Liga is a national league, you wont stop being a national league until you start playing teams all around the world, or at least the continent

Why is it a national league? The only seeming argument is about physical location of where games are played, which is COMPLETELY meaningless. There's no logistical way for a league to play teams over the world's full 24 time zones. A true world league still needs to limit the time zones it plays in. Similarly, you can't water talent down by having multiple leagues.
TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 2,990

Post#259 » by TheGeneral99 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:56 pm

Airmiess wrote:These new crop of US stars are just not very imposing to international play outside of Tatum and Zion.

The international stars are actually overtaking the American NBA product.

I mean there will be players that will also improve over the years and become the stars/superstars of the future.

We have to see how guys like Cunningham, Mobley, Green, Barnes, Scooter, Banchero, Maxey, etc turn into. Some of these guys will turn into all-stars and maybe a couple will become legit superstars but they are all under 23 years old.

Also guys like Edwards, Haliburton, JJJ, Trae, Ja, Garland etc. are all under the age of 25.

You have to remember that the superstars of today were not superstars right away. Lebron, Melo, and Wade were too young and inexperienced in 2004 to make a huge impact and that team lost despite having guys like Duncan and Iverson.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,781

Post#260 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:57 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
_qubik wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Why is it a national league? The only seeming argument is about physical location of where games are played, which is COMPLETELY meaningless. There's no logistical way for a league to play teams over the world's full 24 time zones. A true world league still needs to limit the time zones it plays in. Similarly, you can't water talent down by having multiple leagues.

If you absolutely must have a world-champion-private-corporation-basketball-club, you must
invite the NBA champs, the Euroleague Champs, the South American champs and whichever other continent is interested to play a small tournament in a neutral location (or a tournament with home and away games) and the winner is the world champion. It's not that hard, soccer does it (I think)

With your logic, if a team outside the US suddenly decides to spend a bazillion dollars, buys the best players and is now the best team in the world, they will never be the best team in the world because you have decided that the best team in the world must come from the NBA. Well that's a bit unfair isn't it?

Return to The General Board