[Trivia Game] Post your unbeatable trivia questions here (so it could be beaten in 10 minutes)

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,991

Re: [Trivia Game] Post your unbeatable trivia questions here (so it could be beaten in 10 minutes) 

Post#301 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu May 16, 2024 10:06 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:The first all-defensive teams were for the 1969-69 season. They of course featured a bunch of HoF players.

Also, they featured 4 guys who were selected to the HoF for non-playing reasons. Who were they?

The answers include two guys who are on every greatest-players list, one who made a couple of All-Star games but is more famous for his post-playing career, and one role player who never averaged 13 ppg for a season.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Re: [Trivia Game] Post your unbeatable trivia questions here (so it could be beaten in 10 minutes) 

Post#302 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu May 16, 2024 10:13 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:Who won Defensive Player of the Year while starting only a couple of games?

Who won Defensive Player of the Year while starting about half the games in which he played?

Neither ever won 6MotY, which in both cases surprised me.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,860

Post#303 » by Curmudgeon » Thu May 16, 2024 10:16 am

Who is the only guard to win DPOY more than once?
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#304 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu May 16, 2024 10:16 am

Overall, 5 6MotY winners are in the HoF. Who are they?

(Obviously, James Harden is on track to eventually be the 6th.)
mj234eva
General Manager
And1: 3,592

Post#305 » by mj234eva » Thu May 16, 2024 10:35 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:Who won Defensive Player of the Year while starting only a couple of games?

Who won Defensive Player of the Year while starting about half the games in which he played?

Michael Cooper
Dennis Rodman
Michael Jordan wrote:Sometimes I wish I could be my teammates looking at that
defense. It must be nice. But it isn't nice for me.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#306 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu May 16, 2024 10:57 am

mj234eva wrote:

Michael Cooper
Dennis Rodman

Both correct!
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#307 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu May 16, 2024 11:00 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Who is the only guard to win DPOY more than once?

I was just looking at the DPotY list to confirm my own question, so I'll recuse myself. ;)

I THINK I would have guessed it without that anyway, but there's no way to be honestly sure.
GSWFan1994
General Manager
And1: 15,833

Post#308 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:58 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Who is the only guard to win DPOY more than once?

Sydney Moncrief.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#309 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue May 28, 2024 11:07 pm

I just saw this factoid: Joe Mazzulla will be the second-youngest head coach in NBA Finals history.

Who was the youngest?
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,836

Post#310 » by Zeno » Tue May 28, 2024 11:11 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:I just saw this factoid: Joe Mazzulla will be the second-youngest head coach in NBA Finals history.

Who was the youngest?

Heard this on a pod recently. Player coach, Bill Russell
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#311 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue May 28, 2024 11:26 pm

Zeno wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:I just saw this factoid: Joe Mazzulla will be the second-youngest head coach in NBA Finals history.

Who was the youngest?

While we're at it:

-- Who played for the Celtics and was later inducted into the HoF as a coach?
-- Excluding those guys, who played for the Celtics and later was NBA Coach of the Year?
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,836

Post#312 » by Zeno » Tue May 28, 2024 11:29 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Zeno wrote:

Who was the youngest?

While we're at it:

-- Excluding those guys, who played for the Celtics and later was NBA Coach of the Year?

Tommy Heinsohn?
Rick Carlisle?
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#313 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue May 28, 2024 11:54 pm

Zeno wrote:
Zeno wrote:Heard this on a pod recently. Player coach, Bill Russell

While we're at it:

Tommy Heinsohn?
Rick Carlisle?

At the moment I can think of 6 HoF coaches -- most but not all of them NBA head coaches -- plus 2 (other) NBA Coaches of the Year.

Heinsohn is indeed one of the first group and Carlisle one of the second.
murphyslamz
Sophomore
And1: 218

Post#314 » by murphyslamz » Wed May 29, 2024 12:01 am

Who was the Raptors first ever draft pick?
Bush4Ever
Sophomore
And1: 213

Post#315 » by Bush4Ever » Wed May 29, 2024 12:11 am

One of my favorite ones from when I was a kid reading an article about triple-doubles maybe 30 years ago. It's increasingly messier in the triple-double era, so I'll make it more time-relevant:

Question:
Name all the players in NBA history who averaged eight or more points, rebounds, and assists in a season, prior to 1992.

No one ever gets the last name. Answer under the spoiler tag.

Spoiler:
Wilt
Oscar
Magic
MJ
Darrell Walker :D
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#316 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed May 29, 2024 12:13 am

3 different Celtics at various times held the distinction of most 3 pters made in NBA history. Who were they?

Bonus: A 4th once held the single-season record for made 3 pters. Who was he?

Hint: 3 of those 4 guys became NBA head coaches.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#317 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed May 29, 2024 8:15 pm

Zeno wrote:
While we're at it:

Tommy Heinsohn?
Rick Carlisle?

At the moment I can think of 6 HoF coaches -- most but not all of them NBA head coaches -- plus 2 (other) NBA Coaches of the Year.

Heinsohn is indeed one of the first group and Carlisle one of the second.

Whittling this down:

Heinsohn and Russell are both in the HoF as coaches, primarily or exclusively for coaching the Celtics.

2 other guys are in the HoF for coaching other NBA teams. 1 of those two is also in the HoF as a player; the other was a good player but not at that level.

2 other guys are in the HoF for college coaching. One was a total scrub in the NBA; the other was a good defense-first player.

Carlisle is one of the Coaches of the Year. The other was a HoF player whose name has also recently been in NBA news.

So in total we're talking about 4 HoF players, 2 other good players, and 2 total scrubs.

Unless, of course, there are yet more guys who should be on the lists. ;)

Return to The General Board