Caitlin Clark is the first TRUE star in the history of woman’s basketball.

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

Tempe
Junior
And1: 540

Re: Caitlin Clark is the first TRUE star in the history of woman’s basketball. 

Post#341 » by Tempe » Sun Apr 7, 2024 9:31 pm

SC dominating this game is a testament to why so few people care about the WNBA and why Clarke was so good for women’s basketball. Nobody wants to watch overwhelming physical ball from women who look like Ace Hood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't post sexist and inappropriate comments like this. It's a violation of posting guidelines and it's thoroughly unpleasant for the rest of us to read. -b
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,128

Post#342 » by sikma42 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 9:33 pm

Tempe wrote:SC dominating this game is a testament to why so few people care about the WNBA and why Clarke was so good for women’s basketball. Nobody wants to watch overwhelming physical ball from women who look like Ace Hood

So misogynoir. Got it, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,791

Post#343 » by VanWest82 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 9:35 pm

Clearly I'm in the minority because I just don't like watching Caitlin chucker Harden play basketball. Her shot selection is atrocious.

Also, South Carolina was stacked. I can see why they went undefeated.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 34,807

Post#344 » by G R E Y » Sun Apr 7, 2024 9:39 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:

#XX
jc23
RealGM
And1: 11,479

Post#345 » by jc23 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 9:43 pm

LLJ wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:Caitlin needs more help!!

If a large enough audience follows her to the WNBA, we're probably gonna get this stuff a lot come playoff time until she decides to "take her talents to..."

you dont have the problem of powerhouse teams in the wnba like you do in college. The talent gap tonight was wild.
Be curious, Not judgmental
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,503

Post#346 » by SA37 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 9:56 pm

VanWest82 wrote:Clearly I'm in the minority because I just don't like watching Caitlin chucker Harden play basketball. Her shot selection is atrocious.

Caveat that this is the first game I've seen Clark play aside from the highlights.

She looked lethargic and tired, imo. I completely get why the hype is there, and simultaneously, you can clearly see the areas where she can improve. I have been incredibly impressed by how she's handling all this pressure and fame over the last 2 years. This is Wemby hype, and she has performed in record-breaking fashion over 2 seasons.

I really, really hope she has the right people around her to keep her grounded and to keep her working on her game.

As for the game itself, S Carolina shot extremely well and won because they absolutely killed Iowa on the glass. Even when Iowa managed to get stops, S Carolina got the rebound and scored.
FuShengTHEGreat
Veteran
And1: 1,226

Post#347 » by FuShengTHEGreat » Sun Apr 7, 2024 10:04 pm

sikma42 wrote:
FuShengTHEGreat wrote:Not blamong Caitlin for the loss at all. Her team was woefully overmatched.

But if she had a midrange game this game would've went right down to the wire and she would've finished with at least 40 points. She almost never looks to shoot in between finishing at the basket or hitting a 3.

Thats the only offensive flaw she has.

She can’t really off the dribble going right. And her handle isn’t really efficient enough to get back left against a good defender. Great player but most players have some gaps at this age.

I remember the 1st time i ever saw a highlight of her that randomly popped up on YouTube where she exploded for 46 vs Michigan. She hit a quite a few of parking lot 3s. But some pull up midrange shots too. She definitely has that ability going left. Since she can hit the deep 3s going left she can definitely hit some midrange shots as well going in that direction.
BigGargamel
Analyst
And1: 7,379

Post#348 » by BigGargamel » Sun Apr 7, 2024 10:10 pm

Congrats to South Carolina for ruining the Clark circle jerk. You would have thought they were the underdog and afterthought the way ESPN and fans went about things.

This board also, look what thread everyone was posting in. :lol:
EmpireFalls
Veteran
And1: 4,924

Post#349 » by EmpireFalls » Sun Apr 7, 2024 10:25 pm

Caitlin Clark had her LeBron moment today.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,791

Post#350 » by VanWest82 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 10:47 pm

SA37 wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:Clearly I'm in the minority because I just don't like watching Caitlin chucker Harden play basketball. Her shot selection is atrocious.

Caveat that this is the first game I've seen Clark play aside from the highlights.

She looked lethargic and tired, imo. I completely get why the hype is there, and simultaneously, you can clearly see the areas where she can improve. I have been incredibly impressed by how she's handling all this pressure and fame over the last 2 years. This is Wemby hype, and she has performed in record-breaking fashion over 2 seasons.

I really, really hope she has the right people around her to keep her grounded and to keep her working on her game.

As for the game itself, S Carolina shot extremely well and won because they absolutely killed Iowa on the glass. Even when Iowa managed to get stops, S Carolina got the rebound and scored.

Agreed. She seems to be handling all the added pressure like a pro. I also agree she looked gassed. Did she play the entire game?

I watched the LSU game and her shot selection was awful in that one too.
NBA4Lyfe
Veteran
And1: 1,707

Post#351 » by NBA4Lyfe » Sun Apr 7, 2024 10:58 pm

clark is the reason these ratings are setting records

watch lebron come out the next lakers game walking to the arena in an angel reese jersey so espn and fs1 can get off of clark and start talking about him like normal
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,870

Post#352 » by Marrrcuss » Mon Apr 8, 2024 12:50 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:
jc23 wrote:My feeling is that what Caitlin has done is more important then a goat title. Most people (myself included) dont have much insight when it comes to the history of female collegiate basketball; which is why this moment is so unique.

Has SHE done it or was it media push?

SHE gets credit but this is absolutely about how much the media covers her as they now MAKE the stories. Hell, Angel Reese is absolutely nothing special as far as front court players go historically but she is comparable with hype.

Add to it, the lack of a marketable male college player and here we are. The males havent had a marketable college player in a few years now.

Become a mass media star is always dependent on the mass media deciding to pay attention to you. The trick of course is that they never do it randomly because their goal is to get people to read/listen/watch. It's a confluence of factors leading to Clark's crossover breakout right now, some of which is about the time being ripe for a women's basketball star, and some of which is about Clark standing out in ways on the court that are not that common.

Re: Males haven't had a marketable college player. Well yeah, but it's not because males aren't marketable, it's just that males going pro early has killed the relevance of men's college basketball. The same thing will happen to the women's game if a pro league gets popular enough. This then to say that it's not so much that Clark is beating out men's players for the "college star" category, but that there's still room for true college stars in women's basketball in a way there isn't in men's.

Dudes in this forum swore the mens tourney was the greatest thing in sports but i think thats just the office pools/ brackets. Many havent watched 10 total games.

Clark final four games reminded me so much of curry. She was 13-29 with 5 turnovers and was deemed unstoppable. This, while my social media timesline bytched and moaned about the whistle Iowa was getting. I didnt watch so i cant agree or disagree.

As I said before, the announcers treat the game so much differently and people buy in. Put the average NBA announcer on a women's game and folks are turning the channel 2 minutes in.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach

Post#353 » by Marrrcuss » Mon Apr 8, 2024 12:51 am

NBA4Lyfe wrote:clark is the reason these ratings are setting records

watch lebron come out the next lakers game walking to the arena in an angel reese jersey so espn and fs1 can get off of clark and start talking about him like normal

LeBron was actually backing Clark today and telling people they were dumb for hating on her.

See, yall say the absolute stupidest shyt about him as he squats in your abandoned dome and will not vacate.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 5,185

Post#354 » by Roger Murdock » Mon Apr 8, 2024 12:54 am

BigGargamel wrote:Congrats to South Carolina for ruining the Clark circle jerk. You would have thought they were the underdog and afterthought the way ESPN and fans went about things.

This board also, look what thread everyone was posting in. :lol:

Every single person on the ESPN pre-game show picked South Carolina to win.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,491

Post#355 » by Calvin Klein » Mon Apr 8, 2024 12:55 am

Tempe wrote:SC dominating this game is a testament to why so few people care about the WNBA and why Clarke was so good for women’s basketball. Nobody wants to watch overwhelming physical ball from women who look like Ace Hood

Don't post sexist and inappropriate comments like this. It's a violation of posting guidelines and it's thoroughly unpleasant for the rest of us to read. -b

Get lost
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 441

Post#356 » by boogiezen » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:11 am

0 bench points for Iowa in this game and getting outrebounded by 22. Even if Clark go Super Saiyan, it won't matter. At the end of the day, there's a reason why South Carolina is undefeated.

WNBA is next for Clark, the biggest question is, can she help the league? My answer is NO. The toxicity level of majority of the players just turned new fans off.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,128

Post#357 » by sikma42 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:20 am

boogiezen wrote:0 bench points for Iowa in this game and getting outrebounded by 22. Even if Clark go Super Saiyan, it won't matter. At the end of the day, there's a reason why South Carolina is undefeated.

WNBA is next for Clark, the biggest question is, can she help the league? My answer is NO. The toxicity level of majority of the players just turned new fans off.

Are they just supposed to let her score and win games? There are obvious skill gaps there and they’re going to show up next year. I’m not sure they are supposed to do…just pretend there isn’t a tier of players much better than her right now?

KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,731

Post#358 » by KamikazeK » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:22 am

I thought SC was really impressive and fun to watch.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach

Post#359 » by Marrrcuss » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:24 am

You are not watching enough programming (double entendre).

Long shots are no longer considered bad shots, in this new era. Its all about being flashy.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach

Post#360 » by Marrrcuss » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:28 am

KamikazeK wrote:

I thought SC was really impressive and fun to watch.

I hope i am not overstepping but we talk about men and how they look and play all the time. Certain posters bad mouth the nba daily and say why they dont watch. Is this really inappropriate?

Just curious, Do you know who Ace hood is?

Return to The General Board