NBA MVP Discussion Thread 2023-24

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Who will be the 2023-24 NBA MVP?

Nikola Jokic
41%
Luka Doncic
11%
Joel Embiid
9%
Jayson Tatum
6%
Giannis Antetokounmpo
13%
Stephen Curry
0%
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
6%
Anthony Edwards
4%
Kevin Durant
2%
Other (Haliburton, Mitchell, Davis, Booker, Fox etc.)
7%

Total votes: 246

Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,750

Re: NBA MVP Discussion Thread 2023-24 

Post#381 » by Cubbies2120 » Sun Nov 5, 2023 9:33 pm

stormi wrote:
LordCovington33 wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:Don't even know how Embiid stans have the gall to post all this nonsense with how he chokes every postseason.

It’s is a regular season award in case you didn’t realise. So, if somebody is playing in the REGULAR season despite their post-season flaws, they shouldn’t be discussed? So fans are not allowed to discuss a certain player even if that player is doing well in the REGULAR season?

He shouldn't win the [2024] {regular season} MVP because of the contents of his [2023] {playoff performance}

AKA wildly irrelevant criteria to the basis of the award.

His numbers this season:

35 PTS | 15 REB | 7AST | 6 BLK
34 PTS | 9 REB | 8 AST | 2 BLK
24 PTS | 7 REB | 6 AST | 1 BLK
28 PTS | 12 REB | 7 AST | 1 BLK
26 PTS l 11 REB l 3 AST l 1 BLK

If you don't think that it's relevant or worthy of being discussed in this thread then you're an obsessed manchild that needs to take a break from the internet.

Aaaaand there is the goalpost moving :)

Last year Sixers fans threw their whole argument against Jokic on his loss to the NBA champions in the first round, "Can't win a 3rd MVP without a ring..."

Now playoff results in previous seasons don't matter :lol:

So is this the Sixers/Embiid fans way of roundabout admitting they were wrong last year :) ?
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,711

Post#382 » by eyeatoma » Sun Nov 5, 2023 9:41 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:
stormi wrote:
LordCovington33 wrote:It’s is a regular season award in case you didn’t realise. So, if somebody is playing in the REGULAR season despite their post-season flaws, they shouldn’t be discussed? So fans are not allowed to discuss a certain player even if that player is doing well in the REGULAR season?

He shouldn't win the [2024] {regular season} MVP because of the contents of his [2023] {playoff performance}

His numbers this season:

If you don't think that it's relevant or worthy of being discussed in this thread then you're an obsessed manchild that needs to take a break from the internet.

Last year Sixers fans threw their whole argument against Jokic on his loss to the NBA champions in the first round, "Can't win a 3rd MVP without a ring..."

So is this the Sixers/Embiid fans way of roundabout admitting they were wrong last year :) ?

Funny, I didn't realize 3 rings was the same as 2?

There was no one in NBA history that won 3 in a row, who had never won a ring, that was the point. There is not goal post moving, the fact of the matter is the situations are not the same. I can understand not wanting to give it to Embiid this year, based on playoff performance, especially if there are other players who are close or better statistically.

But if he blows the field out of the water, he should be able to win it. I honestly don't think he will, but he's been great again this year, and has become a better passer. People talk about how Embiid is undeserving.

You can say the same about Jokic where everyone just beleives he has to win every year. The poll was lopsided for him to start the season.

Embiid's numbers have been not as good, because he hasn't played multiple 4th quarters as the Sixers have been that good.

Read on Twitter
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,890

Post#383 » by stormi » Sun Nov 5, 2023 9:44 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:
stormi wrote:
LordCovington33 wrote:It’s is a regular season award in case you didn’t realise. So, if somebody is playing in the REGULAR season despite their post-season flaws, they shouldn’t be discussed? So fans are not allowed to discuss a certain player even if that player is doing well in the REGULAR season?

His numbers this season:

This is schizophrenic behavior. Surely you realize that not every Embiid fan that you brawl on the internet to defend Jokic's honor has the same brain.
Exp0sed
Head Coach
And1: 6,143

Post#384 » by Exp0sed » Sun Nov 5, 2023 9:44 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:
stormi wrote:

Funny, I didn't realize 3 rings was the same as 2?

funny, I recall you specifically claiming that exact same claim in 2022
meaning, u argued that Jokic should not win back to back because back to back MVP's are reserved for players who have achieved more than he has in the postseason

am I remembering wrong? :)
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,890

Post#385 » by stormi » Sun Nov 5, 2023 9:46 pm

Thread going way off the deep end.

Anyways, Luka is my MVP as of today.
Sharkboy242
Veteran
And1: 3,918

Post#386 » by Sharkboy242 » Sun Nov 5, 2023 9:52 pm

This thread shouldn't even exist until a quarter into the season imo. Too much noise.

There's always tons of players being mentioned that are nowhere to be found come Feb.
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,750

Post#387 » by Cubbies2120 » Sun Nov 5, 2023 10:22 pm

stormi wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:
stormi wrote:

His numbers this season:

This is schizophrenic behavior. Surely you realize that not every Embiid fan that you brawl on the internet to defend Jokic's honor has the same brain.

Surely you remember the MVP thread last year where a handful of Sixers fans were making the same claim, right?
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,065

Post#388 » by bigboi » Sun Nov 5, 2023 11:16 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
bigboi wrote:
BigGargamel wrote:Two near triple doubles on absolutely efficient percentages two games in a row. Could have easily coasted tonight, or even taken the game off, and no one would have blamed him. But that's not him. I mean, he's clearly the MVP for the past four years but once again everyone else will try to give all other players the benefit until Joker is the last man standing. He almost NEVER has less than an amazing game.

Curry will have to be perfect and the Mavs will have to win 50+ games for the others to have a chance. I don't see either happening.

Tatum over all of them. Celtics have a pretty good chance of beating the wins record this season

The Celtics have a 1.000 winning percentage after 5 games. I'd be shocked if they won anything less than 82 games.

You can troll all you want but barring epic fall off, Cs clearly stand above the pack. The east looks bad outside of the Celtics and the west is pretty mid itself. I really see no team to fear other than the nuggets. I’m just saying, don’t be surprised if Celtics come close to beating the record
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
bigboi
Lead Assistant

Post#389 » by bigboi » Sun Nov 5, 2023 11:18 pm

Special_Puppy wrote:
bigboi wrote:
BigGargamel wrote:Two near triple doubles on absolutely efficient percentages two games in a row. Could have easily coasted tonight, or even taken the game off, and no one would have blamed him. But that's not him. I mean, he's clearly the MVP for the past four years but once again everyone else will try to give all other players the benefit until Joker is the last man standing. He almost NEVER has less than an amazing game.

Curry will have to be perfect and the Mavs will have to win 50+ games for the others to have a chance. I don't see either happening.

Tatum over all of them. Celtics have a pretty good chance of beating the wins record this season

The Warriors 73 win season? Ummmm no. They are a ~60 win team but it would take an insane amount of luck to get to 73+ wins

They were a 57 win team last year and that’s with a second half drop off. This team can easily win 65+ games. Jrue is so much better than Smart lmao and the addition of Porzingis is a gamechanger
tlee324 wrote:

CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,472

Post#390 » by CobraCommander » Mon Nov 6, 2023 12:49 am

stormi wrote:Thread going way off the deep end.

Luka would vote for Jokic after Friday - so...
Special_Puppy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,135

Post#391 » by Special_Puppy » Mon Nov 6, 2023 1:42 am

CobraCommander wrote:

Luka isn't getting a MVP until he fixes his defense
Special_Puppy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,135

Post#392 » by Special_Puppy » Mon Nov 6, 2023 1:45 am

If the Celtics win like 10 more games than the Nuggets, will anybody actually think they won 10 more games because Tatum is more valuable than Jokic or because Tatum just had better teammates?
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 17,377

Post#393 » by Wolfgang630 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 1:46 am

We already know how this will go once the media starts talking about MVP. It’ll be said by the majority of them that Tatum is the mvp. I’m not saying he’s not worthy because he is. You just know how media will frame this because they want an American to win it.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,472

Post#394 » by CobraCommander » Mon Nov 6, 2023 2:54 am

Special_Puppy wrote:If the Celtics win like 10 more games than the Nuggets, will anybody actually think they won 10 more games because Tatum is more valuable than Jokic or because Tatum just had better teammates?

If everyone healthy and Boston wins 10 more games, we would assume Denver decided to throttle back and play for the playoffs instead of the regular season. No one thinks JT is better than Jokic-

If JT gets the MVP this would be an odd way to reward JT...even JT would know it’s unwarranted
zonedefense
Analyst
And1: 4,030

Post#395 » by zonedefense » Mon Nov 6, 2023 3:09 am

Special_Puppy wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:

Luka isn't getting a MVP until he fixes his defense

Not going to happen any time soon. Luka is already limping like his post allstar break self and we aren't even ten games into the season. As far as talent/ability goes I have him as a close second to Jokic but he simply isn't as reliable/durable.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,793

Post#396 » by Infinite Llamas » Mon Nov 6, 2023 3:27 am

Special_Puppy wrote:If the Celtics win like 10 more games than the Nuggets, will anybody actually think they won 10 more games because Tatum is more valuable than Jokic or because Tatum just had better teammates?

I mean, that’s definitely the mystique of Jokic though in a nutshell.

Murray/KCP/MPJ/Tatum/Gordon
Murray/Luka/KCP/MPJ/Gordon
Murray/KCP/MPJ/Gordon/Embiid
Murray/Curry/KCP/MPJ/Gordon
Murray/KCP/MPJ/Giannis/Gordon

Do any of those teams strike fear in anyone? The truth is that there isn’t a player in the league that can win more games with that unit than Jokic, meanwhile if you put him on the teams replacing other stars and he’d probably make those teams even better. All of the other candidates are great players, but I just can’t fathom them as being as valuable as a literal offensive system in of himself.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
bigboi
Lead Assistant

Post#397 » by bigboi » Mon Nov 6, 2023 3:49 am

Infinite Llamas wrote:

I mean, that’s definitely the mystique of Jokic though in a nutshell.

Murray/KCP/MPJ/Tatum/Gordon
Murray/Luka/KCP/MPJ/Gordon
Murray/KCP/MPJ/Gordon/Embiid
Murray/Curry/KCP/MPJ/Gordon
Murray/KCP/MPJ/Giannis/Gordon

Do any of those teams strike fear in anyone? The truth is that there isn’t a player in the league that can win more games with that unit than Jokic, meanwhile if you put him on the teams replacing other stars and he’d probably make those teams even better. All of the other candidates are great players, but I just can’t fathom them as being as valuable as a literal offensive system in of himself.

Quit the bs. Jokic has as good of a supporting cast that you can possibly get in the NBA. This lie of Nuggets not being an elite supporting cast is ridiculous. Yes, Tatum would cook with Nuggets. Yes, Giannis would cook with Nuggets. Yes, Luka would cook with Nuggets. Yes, Embiid would cook with nuggets. This is ridiculous. And yes, if Celtics win 10 more games than the nuggets, Tatum deserves the MVP.

Celtics supporting cast really isn’t much better than the nuggets. Jrue is prob the difference maker between the two teams but the teams are pretty even otherwise.
tlee324 wrote:

Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 358

Post#398 » by Jhawk03 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 6:56 am

Jhawk03 wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:Every year there’s different goal posts with these 76ers fans

76ers fans outta be ashamed of themselves. Embiid will never win an MVP award.

Please don't attack/bait entire fanbases. They aren't all the same person and comments like this just make threads hostile. Thx. -b

How is my reply here any different from the original post?

We both mention 76ers fans but I get called out for it??
_NoMas
Pro Prospect
And1: 947

Post#399 » by _NoMas » Mon Nov 6, 2023 2:24 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
_NoMas wrote:Already feels like there’s a clear top 5 of Jokic, Tatum, Luka, Steph and Embiid - and they will likely remain in the conversation throughout the year. I expect Giannis is the only other player likely to join the race - with Mitchell as my dark horse pick for a potential top 5 spot if the Cavs can put some wins together

I don’t think there is a top 5 -

There is jokic and then there is Bird in a 3 point competition -

Aka who coming in second

Fact is Jokic was the best for 3 years in a row and then finished it off with a FMVP and a chip- he is your objective and subjective best- stats and rings -

Best individual stats in league on best team in league and best player in league in his prime ?

Honestly guys - until that changes…

So we should close the debate and hand Jokic the award now? We’re 6-7 games in, and yes, I got Jokic at 1 currently, but there are 5-6 guys in the race early on. Health, record etc will all play a factor.

And, as a Jokic fan, for the same reason I thought Embiid fans saying ‘can’t be Jokic, he’s had 2 and failed in the post season’ was not a relevant argument, I’ll be consistent and say it’s also nonsensical to penalise Embiid for lack of post season success for what is a regular season award (as many seem to be saying, though I get the irony point!). The way he’s started, he’ll be in the race again this year (health permitting).
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 17,377

Post#400 » by Wolfgang630 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 2:53 pm

Jhawk03 wrote:
Jhawk03 wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:Every year there’s different goal posts with these 76ers fans

76ers fans outta be ashamed of themselves. Embiid will never win an MVP award.

Please don't attack/bait entire fanbases. They aren't all the same person and comments like this just make threads hostile. Thx. -b

How is my reply here any different from the original post?

We both mention 76ers fans but I get called out for it??

Don’t be a snitch. :P

Return to The General Board