76ers pass Knicks for the 6th seed in the East

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

JustCame
Assistant Coach
And1: 505

Re: 76ers pass Knicks for the 6th seed in the East 

Post#41 » by JustCame » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:23 pm

inevitable

That Knicks trade was horrible..com' on how do you go from Chandler, late 1st, and Curry to giving up all of that? Horrible trade management by the Knicks FO.
Miami_DieHard
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#42 » by Miami_DieHard » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:30 pm

mrpoetryNmotion wrote:Sixers are a better team.

The Knicks just don't have talent or a coach who has the ability to put the right pieces on the floor and stress the right things in practice. D'Antoni is a lame duck coach who often makes excuses for poor performances and runs the worst rotations I've ever seen. I wanted this guy fired since 2009 and the same problems we had those scrub teams are the same problems we have this team despite the increase in talent.

Also, having STAT and Melo as your two best players is a recipe for playoff failure. STAT, a terrible rebounding, poor defensive presence of a power forward with no post game...and Melo, an iso scorer...and that's pretty much it. I've seen much better all around players struggle to win a championship and if that's the ultimate goal for any team than why strap the majority of your cash in these two players? Revenue purposes most likely. Knicks' ceiling when it's all said and done in a few years would be an L in the ECF and that's being generous. But that's all just my opinion.

Your kidding yourself if you think it's a bad choice by an NBA team to sign melo and amare, starting all stars, they have a lot of problems but signing amare an melo was not one of them
Dr Pepper
Assistant Coach
And1: 340

Post#43 » by Dr Pepper » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:43 pm

Doug Collins has been doing a pretty good job but hopefully he doesn't turn out to be Larry Brown 2.0 since he too was great at helping turn ballclubs around but he never really lasts long anywhere.

To me the Knicks, Bulls, and Heat have significant weaknesses in their team/lineup however their futures will only get brighter. All three of these teams never really got the chance to gel as much as they needed to because of injuries or in the Knicks' case, a huge trade midway in the season. For example both the Knicks and Heat need a defensive-minded center that can at least stay on the floor against Dwight, Bynum, etc.
Kobe vs MJ "Clone Wars" NBA.com video:

Frosty wrote:Funny this is called Clone Wars because Kobe is like the second installment of the Star Wars series. It looked like Star Wars but came up short. But it did appeal to the kiddies.
mrpoetryNmotion
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,118

Post#44 » by mrpoetryNmotion » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:47 pm

Miami_DieHard wrote:
mrpoetryNmotion wrote:Sixers are a better team.

The Knicks just don't have talent or a coach who has the ability to put the right pieces on the floor and stress the right things in practice. D'Antoni is a lame duck coach who often makes excuses for poor performances and runs the worst rotations I've ever seen. I wanted this guy fired since 2009 and the same problems we had those scrub teams are the same problems we have this team despite the increase in talent.

Also, having STAT and Melo as your two best players is a recipe for playoff failure. STAT, a terrible rebounding, poor defensive presence of a power forward with no post game...and Melo, an iso scorer...and that's pretty much it. I've seen much better all around players struggle to win a championship and if that's the ultimate goal for any team than why strap the majority of your cash in these two players? Revenue purposes most likely. Knicks' ceiling when it's all said and done in a few years would be an L in the ECF and that's being generous. But that's all just my opinion.

Your kidding yourself if you think it's a bad choice by an NBA team to sign melo and amare, starting all stars, they have a lot of problems but signing amare an melo was not one of them

That's if you think STAT and Melo can lead a team to a championship as its two best players. I honestly do not think they can. Management can surround the team with more talent, change the coach...but essentially your two-player core is intact and they aren't as good as some of the other cores/tandems in the league when looking at all facets of the game. This will prove to be a successful move for New York in that they will make the playoffs every season, maybe make a little noise in the conference playoffs...but that's all I see happening. Again, this is just my opinion.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,811

Post#45 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:06 pm

New York. Welcome... to another decade of irrelevance!

They basically took after the NY Rangers and Mets. Tried to build by picking up overrated stars on the FA market. Like those teams building that way puts a ceiling on them

I feel sorry for NY fans. I think this is worse than bottoming out. They're now stuck for years. I bet they're 2 years away from Amare becoming mr. suit while he and Melo take up 70% of their capspace
F statists
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#46 » by Jimmy76 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:New York. Welcome... to another decade of irrelevance!

They basically took after the NY Rangers and Mets. Tried to build by picking up overrated stars on the FA market. Like those teams building that way puts a ceiling on them

I feel sorry for NY fans. I think this is worse than bottoming out. They're now stuck for years. I bet they're 2 years away from Amare becoming mr. suit while he and Melo take up 70% of their capspace

I think if they land Dwight they'll be in great shape

anything less (even a Paul/Deron) and I think they fall short of winning titles

that said you have to keep in mind what a massive improvement that is from the last decade
SheedsWeed
RealGM

Post#47 » by SheedsWeed » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:13 pm

j-ragg wrote:I love how everyone just blames the coach these days. Maybe it's your players not playing well? D'Antoni didn't shoot 2-12 last night Melo did. He didn't have 8 turnovers last night, Billups did.

Yeah, unfortunately it's been like that forever.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,811

Post#48 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:16 pm

They basically have no chance at Dwight/Paul/Deron

No chance at having the capspace to sign a max guy straight up even disregarding the fact that Orl isn't going to say "Sure we'll give you Dwight, we really want Landry Fields and the #16 pick in the 2011 draft!", I don't think NY will have a contract big enough to S&T for him anyways unless they extend Billups at a big price. And if that was the case Orl would be paying like 13-16 mil more than if they'd just let Dwight sign for the Nets straight up. While the Nets could throw a ton of other assets at them too

Frankly the Knicks have less chance at Dwight than teams like the Bulls and Thunder. Chicago could realistically put Noah on the table and then it's all over for the Knicks. Thunder could give em Harden. Knicks have no chance against offers like that.

But Dwight will go to the Nets or Magic IMO. I'm expecting he stays with the Magic after seeing the Heat and Knicks go down in flames.
F statists
Mourning_Would
Lead Assistant
And1: 527

Post#49 » by Mourning_Would » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:19 pm

Ugalde wrote:Funny that a Heat fan can't see that our team needs time to gel. Our team at it's best is still not a contender in my eyes. We need to get the sixth seed back though. I want the Heat in the playoffs.

STFU man, you stopped being a Heat fan and went to the Knicks

Ugalde wrote:I am a Heat fan first and a Knicks fan second but when the Knicks are playing good I get so excited.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1075835&start=1110#p26037818
Else_where wrote:Wtf is Rose doing in that team huddle?
now and 4 life
Starter
And1: 11

Post#50 » by now and 4 life » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:25 pm

heatdynasty2010 wrote:
Ugalde wrote:Funny that a Heat fan can't see that our team needs time to gel. Our team at it's best is still not a contender in my eyes. We need to get the sixth seed back though. I want the Heat in the playoffs.

Ugalde wrote:I am a Heat fan first and a Knicks fan second but when the Knicks are playing good I get so excited.

dookieguy pt 2?
Salty
Banned User

Post#51 » by Salty » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:33 pm

heatdynasty2010 wrote:

Wouldn't that make him a Knicks fan first then?
NYK 455
General Manager
And1: 162

Post#52 » by NYK 455 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:37 pm

Trade sucked. We gave up a lot of young talent, an 18/8 26 year old PG, and two potential all stars Wil and Gallo for a guy who isn't a superstar and 35 year old Billups. And now we have basically no cap.
Studemire1
Sixth Man
And1: 107

Post#53 » by Studemire1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:52 pm

Cammo101 wrote:Miami and NY...where superteams go to underachieve.

1) The Knicks don't even have their full "superteam" yet.

2) They basically changed up their entire team with the mid-season trade. The guys on the Knicks haven't been together that long. They need to put together everyone's strengths and get more familiar with each other in order to consistently start picking up wins. Remember when the Heat were truly struggling early in the season? They even had some time before the regular season but it's tough when you have a bunch of new guys on the team, especially talented guys that are all going to want the ball.

That's why all those "Heat 2011 Champions" claims since before the season even started are so foolish. Even if it does happen you just can't EXPECT a couple of superstars to be put together and just start clicking like a championship team. They STILL don't click as a team fairly often.

3) Billups has been out more times than he hasn't since this trade has been made, and he's a huge part of the team.

4) Carmelo has been so off recently. (6 points the last game...) That's obviously not going to keep happening in the future. He's a solid top 10 player.

I don't really like the trade they made but I accepted it because it brings Carmelo to NY (and Billups was a REALLY nice addition in this trade) and let's them focus on the next steps this upcoming offseason. Hate to say it, especially since I really liked the guys they shipped out, but I think it just needed to be done.

TheGreatSatan wrote:I really don't understand how's this a suprise.

That was one of the dumbest trades in a long time and their fall is fully expectable. You just can't win with 2 guys and 10 nobodies, this league is just too good.

Haha, 10 nobodies! So even Billups? :lol:

Fields & co. must be pretty underrated then because the top players on the Knicks bench are really very talented. Their individual qualities just need to be pieced together in games a bit better.
Mourning_Would
Lead Assistant
And1: 527

Post#54 » by Mourning_Would » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:54 pm

Salty wrote:
heatdynasty2010 wrote:

Wouldn't that make him a Knicks fan first then?

Nah but he was posting about he was a Heat fan all summer and on our board, and then he just became a Knicks fan

viewtopic.php?t=1062894#p25379127
Else_where wrote:Wtf is Rose doing in that team huddle?
KB24Gold
Junior

Post#55 » by KB24Gold » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:15 pm

They have the potential to be lethal but they need a better coach IMO and they also need to fill in the holes they have in their roster.

If D'Antoni can't get this team together by the start of next season, he should be fired.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,709

Re: 76ers pass Knicks for the 6th seduring 

Post#56 » by hype_2004 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:26 pm

Doug Collins is one of the most underrated coach in the NBA, he's a great teacher and an excellent tactician. If he did not get the raw deal from Reinsdorf and conniving Phil Jackson in his Chicago heyedey he would've won multiple championships with his pal Michael, I don't doubt that for a sec.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,709

Post#57 » by hype_2004 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:28 pm

KB24Gold wrote:They have the potential to be lethal but they need a better coach IMO and they also need to fill in the holes they have in their roster.

If D'Antoni can't get this team together by the start of next season, he should be fired.

Better coach? the fact that they have glaring holes speaks volume on Doug Collins ability to maximize the talent on this roster. This is an overachieving team that has bought into Doug Collins vision.
joelafan
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#58 » by joelafan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:28 pm

uncarved block wrote:Yeah Doug Collins is living proof of what a great coach can do

Bravo.
Faberg
Junior
And1: 6

Post#59 » by Faberg » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:14 pm

NYK 455 wrote:Trade sucked. We gave up a lot of young talent, an 18/8 26 year old PG, and two potential all stars Wil and Gallo for a guy who isn't a superstar and 35 year old Billups. And now we have basically no cap.

This.
Studemire1
Sixth Man
And1: 107

Post#60 » by Studemire1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:21 pm

I feel like the 76ers might be one of the least talked about (good) teams. Teams behind them in the East and teams around the 6-12 area in the West seem to be discussed more on TV and all over the place. Also when I look at the team I don't exactly see how they've made it so far. Definitely great coaching by Collins.

Return to The General Board