Ricky Rubio struggling in Eurobasket...

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

jinxed
Starter
And1: 1,298

Re: Ricky Rubio struggling in Eurobasket... 

Post#41 » by jinxed » Thu Sep 1, 2011 6:45 pm

Ricky had 5 points (2/4) 4 rebounds and 2 assists in 18 minutes in the game today. Spain won in a blow out.
Check out my book! "The Awakened Ape :A Biohacker's Guide to Evolutionary Fitness, Natural Ecstasy, and Stress-Free Living"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSJN3Q4?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660
Fran Vasquez
Rookie
And1: 95

Post#42 » by Fran Vasquez » Thu Sep 1, 2011 6:59 pm

rubio is only impressive in da airport
hard49
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#43 » by hard49 » Thu Sep 1, 2011 6:59 pm

This is how it will go:

The Timberwolves will get better, Rubio's stats will be blah, and Kevin Love will get all the credit. Rubio will get hurt, the Timberwolves will suck like nobodies business and people will wonder what happened since replacement PG will put up prettier stats.

His game is not about stats and if you are telling me he can't be a SUPERSTAR(yes I said it) because he can't shoot then someone better tell Jason Kidd at his HOF induction.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 59,049

Post#44 » by Froob » Thu Sep 1, 2011 7:00 pm

jinxed wrote:
MIK AGER wrote:What concerns me is this though, Rubio has been playing professionally for so long but has consistently failed to improve the worst parts of his game.

Is this guy just not putting in the time? Does he not care? Or was his ceiling always overhyped?

Call me a homer but I don't think Rubio will be a bust. Playing alongside someone who projects to be an amazing finisher such as Derrick Williams should work wonders for him but this superstar potential some claim Rubio has doesn't seem to exist...

This has always puzzled me too. What's interesting is that Rubio writes with his left hand, and does most things with his left hand..except shoot a basketball. I'm not sure why this is. But perhaps he just doesn't have the requisite coordination in his right hand to shoot, being that it is not his dominate hand.

Weird im the same way.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
SadKingsFan
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#45 » by SadKingsFan » Thu Sep 1, 2011 7:04 pm

allweneedisLOVE wrote:If only people stopped caring so much about stats and instead about W's vs L's, maybe the NBA would be a much better league.

That's cute and all, but it doesn't excuse his pathetic showing.
MIK AGER
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#46 » by MIK AGER » Thu Sep 1, 2011 7:14 pm

hard49 wrote:This is how it will go:

The Timberwolves will get better, Rubio's stats will be blah, and Kevin Love will get all the credit. Rubio will get hurt, the Timberwolves will suck like nobodies business and people will wonder what happened since replacement PG will put up prettier stats.

His game is not about stats and if you are telling me he can't be a SUPERSTAR(yes I said it) because he can't shoot then someone better tell Jason Kidd at his HOF induction.

Jason Kidd was the exception to the rule and as a defender Rubio isn't even in the same stratosphere.
jinxed
Starter
And1: 1,298

Post#47 » by jinxed » Thu Sep 1, 2011 8:14 pm

MIK AGER wrote:

Jason Kidd was the exception to the rule and as a defender Rubio isn't even in the same stratosphere.

Rubio has played 68 minutes against Team USA in his career.

He has 10 steals in 68 minutes.

Now of course steals are only a SMALL part of defense, but he's a good defender. Was the Spanish League defensive player of the year at point guard at age 18.
Check out my book! "The Awakened Ape :A Biohacker's Guide to Evolutionary Fitness, Natural Ecstasy, and Stress-Free Living"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSJN3Q4?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660
Brett
Junior
And1: 7

Post#48 » by Brett » Thu Sep 1, 2011 8:38 pm

MIK AGER wrote:What concerns me is this though, Rubio has been playing professionally for so long but has consistently failed to improve the worst parts of his game.

Is this guy just not putting in the time? Does he not care? Or was his ceiling always overhyped?

Call me a homer but I don't think Rubio will be a bust. Playing alongside someone who projects to be an amazing finisher such as Derrick Williams should work wonders for him but this superstar potential some claim Rubio has doesn't seem to exist...

I think it's because, instead of getting to explore his individual offensive ability in AAU as a 14 year old star against other kids his own age, he's been playing in professional men's leagues where the only concern is winning, not player development. I've also heard that practices in Europe are almost exclusively team oriented.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,491

Post#49 » by Foye » Thu Sep 1, 2011 8:59 pm

Froob wrote:
jinxed wrote:

This has always puzzled me too. What's interesting is that Rubio writes with his left hand, and does most things with his left hand..except shoot a basketball. I'm not sure why this is. But perhaps he just doesn't have the requisite coordination in his right hand to shoot, being that it is not his dominate hand.

Weird im the same way.

Count me in. It's kind of a problem, I agree. I usually notice that as well. Really I should be more comfortable shooting with my right hand. I can use both hands for almost anything. I write with my right (I write pretty well with my left, too) but I just can't shoot with my right hand. For some reason it just doesn't work. I feel like I should shoot right-handed, because that hand has a better coordination, though.
KV20
Banned User

Post#50 » by KV20 » Wed Sep 7, 2011 10:34 am

1.8 Points per game
2.0 Rebounds per game
1.4 Assists per game
16 min per game ( Jasikevicius in 15 min per game dishes 4.2 assist per game)
0/8 3P FG
...In 5 games!!!

With the Barca at the end of the season and now with the spanish team, Rubio is just a role player. The hype shut down and his europeans coaches give him the role he deserves i guess.
In the nba they will give him the key of the franchise, but they have no idea of what he is capable to do. They should ask his euro coahces before.
The guy isn't in the top 10 best PG in europe and never been. He was 2 years ago the best of his generation, but never been a top 10 PG in europe.
koko
Pro Prospect
And1: 89

Post#51 » by koko » Wed Sep 7, 2011 10:50 am

jinxed wrote:What would you guys think about a player who averaged 7 points and, 3 assits, and 2 rebounds in the World Championships last year? Do you think he'd be a good NBA player?

NO?

Well that's what Derrick Rose averaged last year.

Box score stats don't translate.

LOL @ people ignoring this.
ITK9
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#52 » by ITK9 » Wed Sep 7, 2011 10:56 am

MIK AGER wrote:

Another expert opinion from someone who never saw Rubio play.Rubio is a GREAT defender.Of course he is not Jason Kidd but give him time and he can be comparable.
KV20
Banned User

Post#53 » by KV20 » Wed Sep 7, 2011 11:02 am

ITK9 wrote:Another expert opinion from someone who never saw Rubio play.Rubio is a GREAT defender.Of course he is not Jason Kidd but give him time and he can be comparable.

Please guys stop saying "GREAT" talking about a 21 years old basketball player.
Rubio is a good defender, but not great. He is a role player as there is a lot in basketball. A lot of guys are here to defend as Rubio did.
He is not Diamantidis or Rondo yet. He is not Teodosic or Nash yet. He is not a great player right now, he is a role player.
7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#54 » by 7-Day Dray » Wed Sep 7, 2011 11:24 am

Froob wrote:
jinxed wrote:

Weird im the same way.

John Wall is the same way.
Ken North
Banned User

Post#55 » by Ken North » Wed Sep 7, 2011 11:42 am

hard49 wrote:The Timberwolves will get better, Rubio's stats will be blah, and Kevin Love will get all the credit. Rubio will get hurt, the Timberwolves will suck like nobodies business and people will wonder what happened since replacement PG will put up prettier stats.

Unfortunately, I suspect this is going to be dead on what happens.

I'm under no illusion that Rubio is the next Magic or Stockton, but he's a top quality player that probably will be too invisible for NBA fans to really appreciate.
jade_hippo
Starter
And1: 135

Post#56 » by jade_hippo » Wed Sep 7, 2011 11:59 am

Froob wrote:
jinxed wrote:

Weird im the same way.

Its cross dominant. Its something kind of like being ambidextrous. Being skilled in using the opposite hand for skilled tasks. Lots of guys have it and its often confused with being ambidextrous. I may be wrong, but cross dominant can be trained like switch hitters in baseball, but true ambidextrous is natural and there is no drop off in skill with either hand. And also, if I'm not mistaken, Kobe, Beasley and maybe Bogut are the only true ambidextrous basketball players currently.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,965

Post#57 » by Johnny Firpo » Wed Sep 7, 2011 12:06 pm

I always thought the NBA will be much better for his style, than the strict, european basketball. He will make that Wolves team better, i have no doubt in my mind.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,965

Post#58 » by Johnny Firpo » Wed Sep 7, 2011 12:13 pm

old rem wrote:Euro is basically like AAA baseball, or like top tier college hoops

Just stop with this nonsense once and for all. An average Euroleague team would won the NCAA championship without losing a game. Make FC Barcelona play in the NCAA, and they will win all of their games in blowouts. Just stop with this nonsense, there is no argument, it's just an absolutely ridiculous "opinion".
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#59 » by john2jer » Wed Sep 7, 2011 3:10 pm

jade_hippo wrote:
Froob wrote:
jinxed wrote:This has always puzzled me too. What's interesting is that Rubio writes with his left hand, and does most things with his left hand..except shoot a basketball. I'm not sure why this is. But perhaps he just doesn't have the requisite coordination in his right hand to shoot, being that it is not his dominate hand.

Weird im the same way.

Its cross dominant. Its something kind of like being ambidextrous. Being skilled in using the opposite hand for skilled tasks. Lots of guys have it and its often confused with being ambidextrous. I may be wrong, but cross dominant can be trained like switch hitters in baseball, but true ambidextrous is natural and there is no drop off in skill with either hand. And also, if I'm not mistaken, Kobe, Beasley and maybe Bogut are the only true ambidextrous basketball players currently.

I coach traveling, high school, and AAU basketball and a few years ago stumbled across a kid playing in in the local gym. Great athlete, seemed to have an awesome left hand for a right handed shooter, great defender, and understood the game. He'd only played for his small private school, and never for a good coach. After a practice with our squad something struck me odd about his shot. His form and fundamentals were perfect, but it just seemed so unnatural to him. Turns out he was actually left handed, but his moron coach at his private school couldn't figure out how to teach a left hander how to shoot, he'd always been a two-hand chest shooter prior to then. So this other coach forced him to shoot right handed. Weirdest thing ever. Couple minor tweaks and he turned into one of our best shooters. He'd been shooting right handed for so long, we left it that way, but made it more comfortable for him. Combined that in with a mid-post game finishing with his left and he was our leading scorer. Most kids assumed he'd finish middle, with his right hand, but since he was actually left handed, it was more natural for him to shoot a bunny hook or a lay-up with his left.

We use the correlation to shooting a gun with our players because most of them hunt, being from Minnesota. Interesting how many kids use their non-dominant hand/eye to shoot. Also gets younger players to stop shooting from their ear, and thus quit with the obsession of shooting threes when they literally have to THROW the ball at the basket because they're not strong enough yet.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
USA
Banned User
And1: 455

Post#60 » by USA » Wed Sep 7, 2011 3:47 pm

Ricky Rubio is one of the most over hyped, over rated players ever. He won't amount to crap in the NBA.

Return to The General Board