Cancelled season draft: 5 year average with last year double

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

booonani
Freshman
And1: 18

Re: Cancelled season draft: 5 year average with last year do 

Post#41 » by booonani » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:16 pm

Mattya wrote:If the lockout lasts all season I don't think they would have a draft. It all depends on timing though. Lets say the lockout ended next year around this time. They wouldn't be able to have a draft during a lockout. They can't talk to, with, or about players so Workouts, Interview and even the selection process. If they decided to do a draft I could see an equal lottery for all teams and have all owed picks delayed or have a tiered lotto with lotto teams all having equal chances. I don't know, nobody really knows. I think it would be more fun if the just decided to delay the draft. Have 2 drafts in 1. give each team two picks per round 60 picks or make it 4 rounds in 2013.

the prospects wouldnt be NBA players until they're drafted. contact is only forbidden between team personnel and the players.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#42 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:25 pm

ropjhk wrote:There should be more weight given to the most recent seasons.

Don't worry. I'm very confident that the NBA would only use the last 3 seasons max. I'm even more inclined to believe that they would use last season or the last two only. Someone earlier posted a good metric in which the record from this past year was counted three times over, the year before twice over, and the season before that one only counts once.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,064

Post#43 » by bigboi » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:40 pm

LoneyROY7 wrote:Sorry to break the tune of sadness...but SWEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT.

Clippers are looking at potentially the 1st AND 5th pick of a stacked draft.

Harrison Barnes and Marquis Teague sounds good.

PG Teague
SG Gordon
SF Barnes
PF Griffin
C DeAndre

You know what's funny, the Celtics have your pick. Celtics bouta get Andre Drummond or Jeremy Lamb :D
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 31,094

Post#44 » by Sofia » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:19 pm

bigboi wrote:
LoneyROY7 wrote:Sorry to break the tune of sadness...but SWEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT.

Clippers are looking at potentially the 1st AND 5th pick of a stacked draft.

Harrison Barnes and Marquis Teague sounds good.

PG Teague
SG Gordon
SF Barnes
PF Griffin
C DeAndre

You know what's funny, the Celtics have your pick. Celtics bouta get Andre Drummond or Jeremy Lamb :D

Top 10 protected til 2017.
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#45 » by carrottop12 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:31 pm

Please let there be a season.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#46 » by Leolovinliberal » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:51 pm

Shimso wrote:
SDM wrote:Raptors get screwed big time. We've drafted above #10 only twice in the last ten years and we somehow get #10.

Yeah, that'd really suck. The Raps are in a pretty crappy situation even if only the last 3 years are used.

I'd much rather have the draft seeded based on location from North to South :lol:

Portland
Minnesota
Toronto
Milwaukee
Detroit
Boston
Chicago
Cleveland
NYK
NJN
Jazz
Sixers
Pacers
Nuggets
Wizards
Kings
GSW
Memphis
OKC
Charlotte
LAC
LAL
Atlanta
Dallas
Phoenix
New Orleans
Houston
SAS
Orlando
Miami

Ironically, this might be the fairest of all of the ones proposed. :lol:
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,890

Post#47 » by Roger Murdock » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:32 am

The NBA has already established precedent that the 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 regular season standings should have zero influence over the lotto for the 2011 draft. Why should the league suddenly retroactively decide that those seasons matter when establishing draft position for 2012? And why cut if off at 2007 if they are going to do that? If you are going to use historical records of teams without regard to how their roster is shaped today then the fairest way to do it would be to rank each team by their all time winning percentages.

Really the only fair way to do the draft lotto is to do it the same way they always do it - with the record for the previous season. If there is no season then they should use the 2011 standings.

If they don't use the 2011 standings then they should randomly draft 30 teams out of a hat for the order, because that is at least equally unfair to everyone.
Darain
Lead Assistant
And1: 39

Post#48 » by Darain » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:36 am

Boston
Chicago

Getting Picks before Cleveland? I like that
crowd goes wild wrote:Joel Anthony. Dude could probably give you around 27 ppg if he wasn't playing along side Chris Bosh.

I'm not a Kobe fan
nhh90 wrote:Kobe hasn't been doubled in a game since 07-08 season.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,358

Post#49 » by Mattya » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:49 am

booonani wrote:
Mattya wrote:If the lockout lasts all season I don't think they would have a draft. It all depends on timing though. Lets say the lockout ended next year around this time. They wouldn't be able to have a draft during a lockout. They can't talk to, with, or about players so Workouts, Interview and even the selection process. If they decided to do a draft I could see an equal lottery for all teams and have all owed picks delayed or have a tiered lotto with lotto teams all having equal chances. I don't know, nobody really knows. I think it would be more fun if the just decided to delay the draft. Have 2 drafts in 1. give each team two picks per round 60 picks or make it 4 rounds in 2013.

the prospects wouldnt be NBA players until they're drafted. contact is only forbidden between team personnel and the players.

Still don't see it happening.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,358

Post#50 » by Mattya » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:51 am

Not to mention the draft prospects would probably be pretty hesitant to enter the draft if a deal wasn't reached to end the lockout at the time.
No Offense
Assistant Coach
And1: 260

Post#51 » by No Offense » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:39 am

ImissJordan wrote:
mg wrote:There is not much of a chance the players go without paychecks for an entire season. Personally I see a 50 game season on the horizon. The negotiations will get serious after the players miss their first paychecks in mid November.

On the small chance the season is cancelled, my guess is David Stern will seed all of the teams in a lottery based on last season's records. In the NBA there is such a huge turnover in players, coaching staffs, GM's every year that you can't go back 3 or 5 seasons to do a fair lottery.

It should absolutely be based on last year's records...otherwise, like others have said, a team like Cleveland completely misses the chance to add a key piece around their young core. Miami, conversely, would secure a much higher pick than they deserve.

If you average the records for the past 3 years, Cleveland would have 30 more wins than they did in 2010-2011. You can't justify a lottery system where one team gets 30 wins that they obviously won't have moving forward in the next season (whenever that is).
BossHoggin
General Manager
And1: 571

Post#52 » by BossHoggin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:45 am

No Offense wrote:
ImissJordan wrote:
mg wrote:There is not much of a chance the players go without paychecks for an entire season. Personally I see a 50 game season on the horizon. The negotiations will get serious after the players miss their first paychecks in mid November.

On the small chance the season is cancelled, my guess is David Stern will seed all of the teams in a lottery based on last season's records. In the NBA there is such a huge turnover in players, coaching staffs, GM's every year that you can't go back 3 or 5 seasons to do a fair lottery.

It should absolutely be based on last year's records...otherwise, like others have said, a team like Cleveland completely misses the chance to add a key piece around their young core. Miami, conversely, would secure a much higher pick than they deserve.

If you average the records for the past 3 years, Cleveland would have 30 more wins than they did in 2010-2011. You can't justify a lottery system where one team gets 30 wins that they obviously won't have moving forward in the next season (whenever that is).

If there was something to balance out teams losing their stars (Raptors, Jazz, Cavs) this "system" might be worth something.
Heat3Peat wrote:See this is why it's nice being a LeBron fan, no super hard allegiance to a team so there is no up and down emotions with me during a time like this.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,541

Post#53 » by Rapcity_11 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:23 am

Roger Murdock wrote:The NBA has already established precedent that the 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 regular season standings should have zero influence over the lotto for the 2011 draft. Why should the league suddenly retroactively decide that those seasons matter when establishing draft position for 2012? And why cut if off at 2007 if they are going to do that? If you are going to use historical records of teams without regard to how their roster is shaped today then the fairest way to do it would be to rank each team by their all time winning percentages.

Really the only fair way to do the draft lotto is to do it the same way they always do it - with the record for the previous season. If there is no season then they should use the 2011 standings.

If they don't use the 2011 standings then they should randomly draft 30 teams out of a hat for the order, because that is at least equally unfair to everyone.

There was already a draft based on the 2011 standings...
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,890

Post#54 » by Roger Murdock » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:08 am

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:The NBA has already established precedent that the 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 regular season standings should have zero influence over the lotto for the 2011 draft. Why should the league suddenly retroactively decide that those seasons matter when establishing draft position for 2012? And why cut if off at 2007 if they are going to do that? If you are going to use historical records of teams without regard to how their roster is shaped today then the fairest way to do it would be to rank each team by their all time winning percentages.

There was already a draft based on the 2011 standings...

And why wouldn't you use the most recent standings?

All using 3-5 seasons combined as the draft lotto odds does is reward teams that have gotten better and punish teams that have gotten worse.

It would make no sense to do it that way because the point of the draft is to give the bad teams the best opportunity to improve. Combining multiple seasons does the opposite.
Hemingway
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#55 » by Hemingway » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:28 am

as always the only order that makes any sense is alphabetical order. To make it fair they should do it by city name and then by team name and average the two lists. This would be great for my Boston Celtics.
lovethewire
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#56 » by lovethewire » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:27 am

The only fair way to do it is for all 30 teams to have the same chances, no other formula is fair, u can't simulate a season or use prior seasons when injuries, trades, and free agent signings make a major difference
BROWN
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#57 » by BROWN » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:35 am

Do it like they did it with hockey.

Each team begins with three balls in the lottery barrel. For every playoff appearance in the last three years or No. 1 overall pick over the last four years, a team loses one ball.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2005/07/ ... 50713.html
patrol345
Junior
And1: 21

Post#58 » by patrol345 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:44 am

You want real parody in the nba there should be a "superstar" rule in the draft if you end up being forced to trade away or loose your "superstar" player to another team your teams pick should be gaurenteed a top 5 pick the following year. Prevents tanking for multiple years to get a good ping pog ball and helps teams loosing their star players reload easier.
JamesNaismith
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#59 » by JamesNaismith » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:48 am

I know this would be as bloody unlikely as it comes but I would say they do the lotto balls every 5 picks just to change up the order, that way the really bad teams still have a chance to move up or down and keep the best ones out of the running.
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#60 » by bullsnewdynasty » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:31 am

It should be some sort of lottery with every team given a shot at the #1 pick. Odds at getting the #1 pick should be calculated based on record over the last 3 years. I think this is the fairest system, as each team has a shot at a top pick, though some will have better odds than others.

Return to The General Board