Markkanen looks like a beast

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,307

Re: Markkanen looks like a beast 

Post#41 » by clyde21 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 6:53 am

He's so smooth, and a perfect fit as a modern day 4. He and Carter Jr. might be my favorite young front court in the league. Bulls did a great job putting these two guys together.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,325

Post#42 » by Dan Z » Sat Dec 8, 2018 6:58 am

JBreezeNY wrote:
jc23 wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:Player A:

.362 3 PT%
.434 FG%
.843 FT%

Player B

.395 3 PT%
.439 FG%
.793 FT%

Guess who is who.

player A is a rookie and player B is in his 3rd season. I think of KP more as a scorer then a shooter anyways, his game is more well rounded then Lauri who depends on his jumper most of all.

Dan Z wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:

Player A:

.362 3 PT%
.434 FG%
.843 FT%

Player B

.395 3 PT%
.439 FG%
.793 FT%

Guess who is who.

That's a bit deceiving. You're comparing Markkanen's rookie year to KP's 3rd year, while also leaving out the amount of games played and attempts per game.

But KP isn't a bad shooter and it's not something that should be a knock on him.

However the two of them are different players. There's no need to compare them. Both have promising futures.

The guy makes a claim about KP never being the shooter Lauri is and now it’s KP is in his 3rd year, now things are deceiving, now I’m leaving things out.

Incredible.

You are leaving things out. In his third season KP shot .395 3pt% with 4.8 attempts in 48 games played.

Markkanen in his rookie year shot .362 3pt % with 5.9 attempts in 68 games played.

The amount of attempts spread out over a season matters and there's a difference between a rookie season and year 3.

You think over the course of their career that KP will be as good, if not better, at shooting than Markkanen?
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#43 » by NYKHardKnock » Sat Dec 8, 2018 7:09 am

Dan Z wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:
jc23 wrote:
player A is a rookie and player B is in his 3rd season. I think of KP more as a scorer then a shooter anyways, his game is more well rounded then Lauri who depends on his jumper most of all.

Dan Z wrote:
That's a bit deceiving. You're comparing Markkanen's rookie year to KP's 3rd year, while also leaving out the amount of games played and attempts per game.

But KP isn't a bad shooter and it's not something that should be a knock on him.

However the two of them are different players. There's no need to compare them. Both have promising futures.

The guy makes a claim about KP never being the shooter Lauri is and now it’s KP is in his 3rd year, now things are deceiving, now I’m leaving things out.

Incredible.

You are leaving things out. In his third season KP shot .395 3pt% with 4.8 attempts in 48 games played.

Markkanen in his rookie year shot .362 3pt % with 5.9 attempts in 68 games played.

The amount of attempts spread out over a season matters and there's a difference between a rookie season and year 3.

You think over the course of their career that KP will be as good, if not better, at shooting than Markkanen?
KP does a lot more damage offensively than shooting 3’s and catching and shooting. Does lauri play in the post? Put the ball on the floor?

No knock on Lauri he’s he’ll of a player but I think KP is better overall offensively and defensively.

And btw Lauri didn’t have Carmelo and Rose jacking up shots most of the game. I’m sure his #’s would’ve been better as a go to put the gate. Maybe less efficiency but it could’ve raised his confidence as well. KP rarely had plays set up for him. So there’s that for the rookie v rookie comp
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,768

Post#44 » by JBreezeNY » Sat Dec 8, 2018 7:25 am

Dan Z wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:
jc23 wrote:

Dan Z wrote:

Incredible.

KP is penalized for getting injured and showing progression? :lol:

How about you post the splits of each player last season, prior to KP getting injured?

Listen the guy made a comment that said one player would never be as good a shooter as another, I posted numbers refuting that.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,793

Post#45 » by Dez » Sat Dec 8, 2018 7:29 am

Some mighty overrating of KPs offensive game in here.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,325

Post#46 » by Dan Z » Sat Dec 8, 2018 7:32 am

Kristaps6_NYK wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
JBreezeNY wrote:

Incredible.

KP does a lot more damage offensively than shooting 3’s and catching and shooting. Does lauri play in the post? Put the ball on the floor?

No knock on Lauri he’s he’ll of a player but I think KP is better overall offensively and defensively.

And btw Lauri didn’t have Carmelo and Rose jacking up shots most of the game. I’m sure his #’s would’ve been better as a go to put the gate. Maybe less efficiency but it could’ve raised his confidence as well. KP rarely had plays set up for him. So there’s that for the rookie v rookie comp

I agree with what you said in bold. The two of them are different players which is why I said earlier that there's no need to compare them.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,413

Post#47 » by Scalabrine » Sat Dec 8, 2018 7:34 am

GYK wrote:I like his base. Legs. Lower half. Doesn't slip the screen. KP has a better back to the basket and face up game but Lauri takes the screen better. Harder to push off his post spot. Obviously only improving as a shooter.

Porzingis is an elite rim protector though, thats the major difference and something thats often overlooked with him.
Go Knicks!
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,445

Post#48 » by pipfan » Sat Dec 8, 2018 8:11 am

Why are we talking about KP? He is a great young player, and any team would be lucky to have him.

This is about Lauri. We Bulls fans are VERY excited about our core. Lauri projects as a min 5 time all star, and an awesome 2nd option. His D is good too-just not a shot blocker
King-
Rookie
And1: 676

Post#49 » by King- » Sat Dec 8, 2018 8:17 am

pipfan wrote:Why are we talking about KP? He is a great young player, and any team would be lucky to have him.

This is about Lauri. We Bulls fans are VERY excited about our core. Lauri projects as a min 5 time all star, and an awesome 2nd option. His D is good too-just not a shot blocker

Exactly, I'm not sure where this myth about his defense came from. But it's just that: a myth.

Hes athletic, super fluid with his movement, and about as agile and quick as you can be for a 7 footer. Hes not a lumbering stiff at all....and he moves very well on his feet and has great footwork so to the poster who said he had slow feet on page one, I suggest you watch some tape. His footwork is brilliant for a man his size.

He will never be the rim protector that KP is, but hes very much capable of highlight real blocks and hes great at not letting his man get by him on one on one defense
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,032

Post#50 » by JN61 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 8:19 am

Too bad they beat OKC last night :)

He's the player I'm rooting the most outside of OKC. Kid got really impressive game for a big man. How he puts ball on the floor with combination of ahooting is impressive. He is really willing to play defense even if he's not the best out there so he will just get better on that side when he gets older. So yes, really impressive, even thought I must say I kinda expected him to be 20 point scorer this year.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,041

Post#51 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 8:28 am

GameBredAPBT wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:
GameBredAPBT wrote:There were some concerns that would look super rusty, and that his shot would be off, given that it was his shooting elbow that was injured, but hes had 21/10 & 24/7 in his first two outings as a starter, including the game winning layup tonight against the Thunder. His shot looks absolutely beautiful, even prettier & deadlier than last year.

What's this kid's ceiling? Will having him back damage the Bulls tank chances?
I think he has the potential to be as good as Dirk N. With better D as well.

Their styles aren't too similar though. It's also highly unlikely that Markkanen will ever be the ball handler/playmaker that Dirk was. He's too lumbering/doesn't have the foot speed.

I struggle to find a player comparison for him. I still think Klay Thompson is the most apt comparison.

Mark looks like 6'9" Reggie Miller.
Dirk was 7' Reggie Miller with a better face game and one of the GOAT post games.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,963

Post#52 » by Phreak50 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:01 am

Ridiculous.

Yet another, ‘we can only make comparisons with players of the same skin colour’ thread.
Bolivar
Starter
And1: 4,380

Post#53 » by Bolivar » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:02 am

Did he really have just two proper assists? I watched the highlights and felt like he was having a good day dishing the ball and finding guys open.
urgal
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,876

Post#54 » by urgal » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:13 am

MalagaBulls wrote:I think he has the potential to be as good as Dirk N. With better D as well.

So basically one of the best players of all time? :lol:
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,323

Post#55 » by Lalouie » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:16 am

markkanen should have been drafted in the top3. he was the best 3pt shooter in the class and can shoot off the dribble or catch/shoot like a guard. i never understood why he was drafted as low as he was considering the trending toward bigs with 3s
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#56 » by Lalouie » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:18 am

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
GameBredAPBT wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:I think he has the potential to be as good as Dirk N. With better D as well.

Their styles aren't too similar though. It's also highly unlikely that Markkanen will ever be the ball handler/playmaker that Dirk was. He's too lumbering/doesn't have the foot speed.

I struggle to find a player comparison for him. I still think Klay Thompson is the most apt comparison.

Dirk was 7' Reggie Miller with a better face game and one of the GOAT post games.

he's 7'
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 28,249

Post#57 » by Domejandro » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:18 am

Just going to pompously say that I took an absurd amount of heat for saying he was the obvious pick at seventh overall.
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#58 » by Lalouie » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:26 am

urgal wrote:

So basically one of the best players of all time? :lol:

i guess you missed where he said "potential to be,,,"
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,041

Post#59 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:28 am

Lalouie wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:
GameBredAPBT wrote:

he's 7'

Dirk is 7'. Tyson Chandler is 7'1". Let me see Markenen on the court with one of them and we can talk about how tall he is. KD is 6'11". I bet he is taller than Lauri.

Lauri is the prototypical height for a PF. That is not 7'. Karl Malone is closer to Lauri s height than Lauri is to Dirk.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 11,035

Post#60 » by jc23 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 10:54 am

best pic i could find
Be curious, Not judgmental

Return to The General Board