2019 NBA Finals Thread, Part 3: Golden State Warriors vs Toronto Raptors | SERIES TIED AT 1

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Who's getting those rings?

Warriors in 5
9%
Warriors in 6
14%
Warriors in 7
6%
Raps in 4
18%
Raps in 5
20%
Raps in 6
16%
Raps in 7
19%

Total votes: 200

niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,241

Re: 2019 NBA Finals Thread, Part 3: Golden State Warriors vs Toronto Raptors | RAPS LEAD 1-0 

Post#41 » by niQ » Fri May 31, 2019 2:23 pm

ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,558

Re: 2019 NBA Finals Thread, Part 3: Golden State Warriors vs Toronto Raptors | RAPS LEAD 1-0 

Post#42 » by ken6199 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:32 pm

Obligatory Hooo man, for G2.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#43 » by niQ » Fri May 31, 2019 2:34 pm

ken6199 wrote:Obligatory Hooo man, for G2.

HOOO MAN!!! We got other team's fans saying HO MAN!
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,962

Post#44 » by Jadoogar » Fri May 31, 2019 2:34 pm

Congrats to the biggest winner of the night, Kevin Durant.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,411

Post#45 » by SpreeS » Fri May 31, 2019 2:35 pm

Baski wrote:
SpreeS wrote:
Baski wrote:I would've agreed with you a couple of weeks ago but I've been taught that this is how it works. When a star struggles and is trapped/doubled, you gotta give all credit for his teammates stepping up to him. When his teammates shoot like crap, that isn't an excuse because he simply failed to leverage his gravity enough. I'm as shocked as you are but thems the rules in Curryland.
Who knows maybe Klay and the others will play better and then all the credit can go to Curry again, but for this game at least, Kawhi simply helped his team more than Curry did :-D

Hahahaha... what are you eating or smoking?

TOR players who cannt shoot from 3 - none
GSW players who cannt shoot from 3 - Livingston, Bell, Looney. Also all 8 TOR main rotation players are better shooters than Green and Iggy.

Nope. It was simply a case of Kawhi unleashing his gravity powers while Curry didn't. it's really that simple

Stop it :lol:
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,839

Post#46 » by yoyoboy » Fri May 31, 2019 2:36 pm

Toronto needs to be up at least 2-1 by the time Durant returns.
contestedlayups
Sixth Man
And1: 1,490

Post#47 » by contestedlayups » Fri May 31, 2019 2:37 pm

It'll be interesting to see how Nurse adjusts, not Kerr. The Raptors know an adjustment is coming, likely in the form of Looney or Cousins starting. How Nurse reacts will be telling for this series.
Subscribe to Contested Layups on iTunes or Google Play!

Itunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/contested-layups/id1331840924
UNCBlue012
Analyst
And1: 4,217

Post#48 » by UNCBlue012 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:39 pm

WHAT DID I SAY? RAPS IN 3!!
Klayforspicy
Head Coach
And1: 7,248

Post#49 » by Klayforspicy » Fri May 31, 2019 2:47 pm

Baski wrote:
SpreeS wrote:
Baski wrote:I would've agreed with you a couple of weeks ago but I've been taught that this is how it works. When a star struggles and is trapped/doubled, you gotta give all credit for his teammates stepping up to him. When his teammates shoot like crap, that isn't an excuse because he simply failed to leverage his gravity enough. I'm as shocked as you are but thems the rules in Curryland.
Who knows maybe Klay and the others will play better and then all the credit can go to Curry again, but for this game at least, Kawhi simply helped his team more than Curry did :-D

Hahahaha... what are you eating or smoking?

TOR players who cannt shoot from 3 - none
GSW players who cannt shoot from 3 - Livingston, Bell, Looney. Also all 8 TOR main rotation players are better shooters than Green and Iggy.

Nope. It was simply a case of Kawhi unleashing his gravity powers while Curry didn't. it's really that simple
I forgot that Curry was supposed to be the gravity god that could make everybody around him so much better lol

I guess that only works when you have arguably the best player in the league playing off him..
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,388

Post#50 » by alpngso » Fri May 31, 2019 2:57 pm

It certainly looked like Warriors had 10 days off. They couldn't match the speed in transition game when defending. Very lackadaisical.
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,558

Post#51 » by ken6199 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:58 pm

niQ wrote:
ken6199 wrote:Obligatory Hooo man, for G2.

HOOO MAN!!! We got other team's fans saying HO MAN!

I've been saying this for 2 years... used to lurk around the Raptors board as an ongoing investigation on why RealGM's server keeps crashing :lol:
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#52 » by G35 » Fri May 31, 2019 3:01 pm

Tron Carter wrote:was last night at least fun to watch for warriors fans? ya know, with all the ball movement and no kd?

This is an underappreciated comment lol......
I'm so tired of the typical......
Shady Franchise
Veteran
And1: 584

Post#53 » by Shady Franchise » Fri May 31, 2019 3:02 pm

alpngso wrote:It certainly looked like Warriors had 10 days off. They couldn't match the speed in transition game when defending. Very lackadaisical.

Agree! I'm expecting a better prepared, more focused GS team in game 2. Wake up call, or too much time off. We'll see soon enough.
Do not max Vuc!
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,878

Post#54 » by Chanel Bomber » Fri May 31, 2019 3:03 pm

I truly believe Steve Kerr cost them the game yesterday.

He completely overreacted to Kawhi Leonard by consistently sending these hard doubles without testing Kawhi's ISO game. Toronto was getting open 3 after open 3 from the tip because Golden State was so afraid of Kawhi's midrange jumper. Just seems like a poor cost-benefit analysis on his part.

Also why play Looney so many minutes? By using him as a screener in the pick-and-roll for Curry, you not only put Gasol in the action but you lose a playmaker and a floor stretcher. You're also losing in terms of switchability on defense, regardless of how adequate he is as a big man. They're letting Toronto get away with these big line-ups, and guess what Gasol is better than Looney on both ends. The Warriors should play to their strengths.

Warriors need to play Green at the 5 more and counter Gasol's size with speed. Defend Kawhi man-to-man to start the game and see if he can carry the team on his own before doubling and leaving shooters open.

It's only one game. But Kerr needs to revisit his whole gameplan.
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,449

Post#55 » by KnickFan33 » Fri May 31, 2019 3:09 pm

Underappreciated strat was how the Raptors made Curry pay for his pre-switching. Should be interesting to see whether or not Kerr can figure out a counter to that.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#56 » by niQ » Fri May 31, 2019 3:14 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:I truly believe Steve Kerr cost them the game yesterday.

He completely overreacted to Kawhi Leonard by consistently sending these hard doubles without testing Kawhi's ISO game. Toronto was getting open 3 after open 3 from the tip because Golden State was so afraid of Kawhi's midrange jumper. Just seems like a poor cost-benefit analysis on his part.

Also why play Looney so many minutes? By using him as a screener in the pick-and-roll for Curry, you not only put Gasol in the action but you lose a playmaker and floor stretcher. You're losing in terms of switchability on defense, regardless of how adequate he is as a big man. They're letting Toronto get away with these big line-ups, and guess what Gasol is better than Looney on both ends. The Warriors should play to their strengths.

Warriors need to play Green at the 5 more and counter Gasol's size with speed. Defend Kawhi man-to-man to start the game and see if he can carry the team on his own before doubling and leaving shooters open.

I actually thought Looney played well. It looked like he even gave Kawhi a hard time when the switches came. That, and he was like 4 of 5 or something around the rim. He was good for the Warriors.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,878

Post#57 » by Chanel Bomber » Fri May 31, 2019 3:17 pm

niQ wrote:

Also why play Looney so many minutes? By using him as a screener in the pick-and-roll for Curry, you not only put Gasol in the action but you lose a playmaker and floor stretcher. You're losing in terms of switchability on defense, regardless of how adequate he is as a big man. They're letting Toronto get away with these big line-ups, and guess what Gasol is better than Looney on both ends. The Warriors should play to their strengths.

I actually thought Looney played well. It looked like he even gave Kawhi a hard time when the switches came. That, and he was like 4 of 5 or something around the rim. He was good for the Warriors.

I agree that Looney played well individually, but the Warriors never got into any offensive rhythm whatsoever. Of course the Raptors defense had something to do with it, but Golden State played the entire game with a traditional center on the floor, which I've never (or seldom) seen them do so deep into the playoffs. I didn't mean to criticize Looney's performance, but I believe his presence on the court hurts Golden State in the big picture if you will (over time).
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,726

Post#58 » by Benedict_Boozer » Fri May 31, 2019 3:17 pm

Also why play Looney so many minutes? By using him as a screener in the pick-and-roll for Curry, you not only put Gasol in the action but you lose a playmaker and a floor stretcher. You're also losing in terms of switchability on defense, regardless of how adequate he is as a big man. They're letting Toronto get away with these big line-ups, and guess what Gasol is better than Looney on both ends. The Warriors should play to their strengths.

Yeah I didn't understand the hard doubles on Kawhi.

For starters he was limping all over the place, and his game is not really ISO bury you "Kobe" style where if you single cover him he'll drop 50 on you, it's not his play style.

Kerr was probably thinking they have 1 star, take him out and make the scrubs beat you but the Raps support players are really damn good. Especially at home.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#59 » by packforfreedom » Fri May 31, 2019 3:32 pm

I thought Raptors had no chance but I'm a carnivore now.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,716

Post#60 » by mademan » Fri May 31, 2019 3:45 pm

Its not like Toronto themselves had some quick turnaround into this finals. They also had a good 5 days off

Return to The General Board