Jaylen Brown turned down $80M

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,666

Re: Jaylen Brown turned down $80M 

Post#41 » by bisme37 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:28 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
igorbianch wrote:

I don’t see why age is relevant here.

Theyre signing for 4~5 years, not 10. Siakam will be 29 by the end of his contract, so the raptors will get all of his prime.

In theory Brown has more to evolve because he is younger, but in reality Siakam has showed to improve his game way way more than Brown, despite being older, so I don’t see this as an argument.

It's relevant because he's younger and has already had a better career to this point. How is that not relevant? I'm just throwing out comps of other guys from his draft class, and saying I think he should get something in the middle of those two guys.

How? I think both Hield and Siakam are both the better players right now. Brown has yet to have a season with a positive BPM. Per game stats or advanced stats for the regular season, both Hield and Siakam just had better seasons than Brown has ever had. Siakam just won a championship and put together a better playoff run than Brown has had.

I do think Pascal is better right now, I'm a big fan of his. I don't think Buddy is better but that's debatable. But my point was those guys should be better because they are 3-4 years older.

In my previous comment I pointed to Jaylen being a more proven and consistent playoff performer over his career so far. Pascal had an a amazing playoffs last year but Jaylen has been very good in more postseasons. In the comment you just quoted I was less exact with my take and I agree I was off base a bit in saying his overall career has been better.

In any case, I then said I think Jaylen should get something in the neighborhood of Buddy money (not Pascal's max). He's a two way player who has performed well in multiple postseasons at a young age and still has upside.
itsme23
Rookie
And1: 1,064

Post#42 » by itsme23 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:30 pm

Ainge doing what Ainge always does. Thinking he’s smarter than everyone else.

I’m sure we will get a Celts fan coming in and telling us all how stupid we are and what a genius Ainge is.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,683

Post#43 » by orlando_joe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:36 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Yogatti wrote:This is the guy Danny Ainge didn't want to give up when Paul George, Anthony Davis, Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard were demanding trades.

I mean to be fair all 4 of those guys are on different teams now. 2 guys demanded a trade and the other 2 left in free agency. I do think that is a big reason why he didnt trade him because of the fear of those guys not staying around. Plus he couldn't have used Brown to trade for AD anyways since they couldn't have AD and Kyrie on the roster at the same time last year.

when ever I say that about magic ...I get what your org has to take chance that you can talk them and show them they should stay...trade the farm..lol
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#44 » by bisme37 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:38 pm

lakerz12 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
It's relevant because he's younger and has already had a better career to this point. How is that not relevant? I'm just throwing out comps of other guys from his draft class, and saying I think he should get something in the middle of those two guys.

How? I think both Hield and Siakam are both the better players right now. Brown has yet to have a season with a positive BPM. Per game stats or advanced stats for the regular season, both Hield and Siakam just had better seasons than Brown has ever had. Siakam just won a championship and put together a better playoff run than Brown has had.

I'm trying not to use any harsh words, but it is pretty [insert harsh words] to say Brown has "had a better career to this point" than someone who was arguably just the second best player on a Championship team.

Hield and Siakam's stats last year were much better than Brown's as well. They are both a level above him.

I became ineloquent as I made successive comments. It wasn't right for me to say he's had a better career so far. I was just pointing out he's appeared in multiple postseasons at age 22 and been good each time, because a lot of folks seem to have a very short memory. (He's like Nerlens Noel? Seriously?)

Pascal is the better player now but he's 3 years older and Jaylen has been more consistent in the postseason over his 3 year career. So while I wouldn't give Jaylen the max Pascal is getting, he's worth something more than 4/80.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#45 » by bisme37 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:42 pm

itsme23 wrote:Ainge doing what Ainge always does. Thinking he’s smarter than everyone else.

I’m sure we will get a Celts fan coming in and telling us all how stupid we are and what a genius Ainge is.

I truly don't know what Ainge ever did to you people lol. He's negotiating a contract extension with a player. You don't negotiate by giving away the farm at the start of the negotiation. Each side comes to the table and there's a give and take. This is just normal business. It's not genius and it's not dumb. It's just normal.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,469

Post#46 » by robbie84 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:45 pm

Danny Ainge has melted so many opposing team's fans hearts. The salt in these endless Celtics threads on the gb is hilarious.
It's like Danny Ainge screwed your girlfriend and it's his fault not yours lol.
I mean he probably did screw your team.
He probably drafted better than your team and he's probably way better than your GM.

Jealousy is a delicate flower.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#47 » by Woody Allen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:50 pm

Boston, congratulations on your Andrew Wiggins haha
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 46,245

Post#48 » by dakomish23 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:50 pm

urgal wrote:Smart decision. If guys like Middleton and Tobias Harris are getting 180 mil contracts he can get one, too.

How much space does DAL have next summer? He might be a nice fit on the wing as the #3 option.

I also like him on ATL/ IND/ SAC/ NYK
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,457

Post#49 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:57 pm

He can probably get 90-95M. Overpaid, but market
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,840

Post#50 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:06 pm

Half the people talking smack in here will be wanting to sign Jaylen to an offer sheet next summer providing their team has the cap space. :lol:
Pantsman
Veteran
And1: 3,747

Post#51 » by Pantsman » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:07 pm

Smart move. The Celtics won’t max him but someone will.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,218

Post#52 » by Zombiesonics » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:16 pm

celts cant afford to let him walk and cant really trade him, ainge has to hope they get this done soon. maybe up to 90 and he'll accept
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#53 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:17 pm

Turned down 80 million seems kind of nuts, for a guy who hasn’t really proven much. On the other hand Buddy Hield is getting 90 mill?
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,601

Post#54 » by itrsteve » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:17 pm

Yogatti wrote:This is the guy Danny Ainge didn't want to give up when Paul George, Anthony Davis, Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard were demanding trades.

Plus tatum + salary fillers

Also, none of those guys stayed with the teams they were traded to. Get a new tired argument.
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,933

Post#55 » by lakerz12 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:19 pm

bisme37 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

I'm trying not to use any harsh words, but it is pretty [insert harsh words] to say Brown has "had a better career to this point" than someone who was arguably just the second best player on a Championship team.

Hield and Siakam's stats last year were much better than Brown's as well. They are both a level above him.

I became ineloquent as I made successive comments. It wasn't right for me to say he's had a better career so far. I was just pointing out he's appeared in multiple postseasons at age 22 and been good each time, because a lot of folks seem to have a very short memory. (He's like Nerlens Noel? Seriously?)

Pascal is the better player now but he's 3 years older and Jaylen has been more consistent in the postseason over his 3 year career. So while I wouldn't give Jaylen the max Pascal is getting, he's worth something more than 4/80.

Pascal is 2.5 years older but they each just finished their 3rd NBA season.

If you look at Brown's regular season numbers, he actually regressed a little from the year before. I know you can argue it was Kyrie, etc. but that doesn't comfort me if I am shelling out $80+ million.

Siakam on the other hand clearly went to another level with his game and his production.

I think these contracts are based on proven production + potential over the next 4-6 years or whatever the length of the contract is.

Jaylen Brown does not have proven production to warrant a big contract. 1 good post season does not count. They didn't even advance to the Finals.

He still seems more like "potential" than production. Whereas Siakam and Hield are already producing at a near All Star level.

I also think Hield and Siakam have higher ceilings. Hield will potentially be one of the best 3 point shooters in the league for the foreseeable future. Siakam with his size and versatility has potential to become a top 10 player in the league.

What's Brown going to do to become an All Star? Be a defensive stopper? Become an elite 3 point shooter? Seems more like he will be a solid starter but not an All Star level guy.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,866

Post#56 » by kulaz3000 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:31 pm

He isn't a great player obviously, not yet anyway, but can someone explain to me what he is great at? He seems like a prototypical role player, a solid role player, but not a fantastic one either.

I wouldn't mind him on the Bulls next season, if Otto gets a massive contract off after declining his player option which he likely will. But if it's at the same price, I still choose Otto because he does more things better than Jaylen, but I think there is a chance that the Bulls lose him as next years free agency class is weak.
Why so serious?
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#57 » by bisme37 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:37 pm

lakerz12 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:

Pascal is 2.5 years older but they each just finished their 3rd NBA season.

If you look at Brown's regular season numbers, he actually regressed a little from the year before. I know you can argue it was Kyrie, etc. but that doesn't comfort me if I am shelling out $80+ million.

Siakam on the other hand clearly went to another level with his game and his production.

I think these contracts are based on proven production + potential over the next 4-6 years or whatever the length of the contract is.

Jaylen Brown does not have proven production to warrant a big contract. 1 good post season does not count. They didn't even advance to the Finals.

He still seems more like "potential" than production. Whereas Siakam and Hield are already producing at a near All Star level.

I also think Hield and Siakam have higher ceilings. Hield will potentially be one of the best 3 point shooters in the league for the foreseeable future. Siakam with his size and versatility has potential to become a top 10 player in the league.

What's Brown going to do to become an All Star? Be a defensive stopper? Become an elite 3 point shooter? Seems more like he will be a solid starter but not an All Star level guy.

Pascal is getting a max based on scoring 19 ppg last playoffs at age 25. Jaylen averaged 18 ppg at age 20 when the C's went to the ECFs.

Again I'm not saying Jaylen should get a max but why is Pascal "production" in your mind while Jaylen is just "potential"? Pascal's resume is that he averaged one more point per game than Jaylen in their respective best postseason showings.
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Post#58 » by Higgs Boston » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:39 pm

Brown had a hand injury in the first 2 months of the season, that along a lesser role did that his stats worse, after that he played good, equal or better than in his sophomore year, and just like in the past season he played better in the playoffs.
But well, I guess he regressed according to the celtics experts that don't even know he was injured.
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#59 » by NY 567 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:43 pm

Hopefully he gets Nerlens Noel'd. He's an average starter/good bench player looking for superstar money. Hilarious.
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#60 » by NY 567 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:47 pm

bisme37 wrote:Hield is being offered 4/$90M (and wants even more) and Siakam is being offered a full max extension. Brown is several years younger than both those guys and more proven in the playoffs as well. (Especially compared to Hield, but he's scored more over his 1st 3 playoffs than Siakam too. And again, he's 3 years younger.) So the team will eventually have to come up into at least Hield money I would think.

It's gonna be great in 5 years when we're still hearing about Tatum and Brown's outlier playoff performance from a couple of years ago.

Return to The General Board