Would you rather make to the finals every year and win 50% or half the time and win 100%

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,776

Re: Would you rather make to the finals every year and win 50% or half the time and win 100% 

Post#41 » by Harry Garris » Tue May 19, 2020 5:32 pm

I'd rather make every finals and I think any true competitor would. But the average NBA fan considers losing a close series in the finals to be a bigger failure than even missing the playoffs so legacy wise it would be better to only make half the finals. Truly ass-backwards thinking but it is what it is.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,984

Re: Would you rather make to the finals every year and win 50% or half the time and win 100% 

Post#42 » by shakes0 » Tue May 19, 2020 5:40 pm

BombsquadSammy wrote:
shakes0 wrote:
BombsquadSammy wrote:
The analogy works for the same reason that people who disparage silver medals are wrong. A silver medal is an accomplishment, even if it's not the most impressive one.

There's no actual award or consensus for being the GOAT of basketball, but most of us agree that it's MJ and hold him in high esteem accordingly, even though there's no formal reason to do so. But none of us would say that we don't respect the other nine players in the top-ten just because they aren't the GOAT, and none of us would say that Kareem and Shawn Bradley are basically worth the same since neither is the GOAT.

Championships are binary, but greatness isn't. Some are greater than others, but everyone is striving for greatness, we admire it whenever we see it, and those who achieve it treasure whatever they can get, even when it isn't quite as much as what the next guy up has.

you're right, a silver medal is an accomplishment which is why they give you an actual medal for it. No one gives you **** for losing the NBA finals. No one hangs a banner for that.

Re-read the rest of comment; I addressed this. And for what it's worth, what does a conference championship banner represent to the Finals loser, if not second place?

the rest of your post was just word diarrhea and had nothing to do with the point we were discussing, i.e. comparing a silver medal to losing in the NBA finals.
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,827
Location: On the Dallas bandwagon for the rest of the '24 playoffs

Post#43 » by -Sammy- » Tue May 19, 2020 5:48 pm

shakes0 wrote:
BombsquadSammy wrote:
shakes0 wrote:
you're right, a silver medal is an accomplishment which is why they give you an actual medal for it. No one gives you **** for losing the NBA finals. No one hangs a banner for that.

Re-read the rest of comment; I addressed this. And for what it's worth, what does a conference championship banner represent to the Finals loser, if not second place?

the rest of your post was just word diarrhea and had nothing to do with the point we were discussing, i.e. comparing a silver medal to losing in the NBA finals.

You're free to disagree with my reasoning and conclusions, of course, but let's ease up on the condescension. If you're going to dismiss my position and the reasoning therein, at least contend with it first, or else kindly keep the snark to yourself. Thanks!
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,959

Post#44 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 19, 2020 5:54 pm

shakes0 wrote:
BombsquadSammy wrote:
CarMalone wrote:People are framing losing the Finals in the wrong way. Imagine if winning the Finals is a Gold medal and losing means Silver. I would rather have 5 Golds and 5 Silvers than 5 Golds.

Spot-on.

:noway: Horrible analogy. Last I checked all those people with silver medals actually have silver medals. The team that LOSES the NBA finals gets the exact same hardware as the team that finishes dead last in the regular season. I.e. NOTHING NADA ZIP.

Being a conference champ is a real thing....
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,181
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#45 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue May 19, 2020 5:56 pm

As long as I can blame my teammates when I lose, I'm good either way.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#46 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 19, 2020 5:58 pm

shakes0 wrote:
BombsquadSammy wrote:
shakes0 wrote:

:noway: Horrible analogy. Last I checked all those people with silver medals actually have silver medals. The team that LOSES the NBA finals gets the exact same hardware as the team that finishes dead last in the regular season. I.e. NOTHING NADA ZIP.

The analogy works for the same reason that people who disparage silver medals are wrong. A silver medal is an accomplishment, even if it's not the most impressive one.

There's no actual award or consensus for being the GOAT of basketball, but most of us agree that it's MJ and hold him in high esteem accordingly, even though there's no formal reason to do so. But none of us would say that we don't respect the other nine players in the top-ten just because they aren't the GOAT, and none of us would say that Kareem and Shawn Bradley are basically worth the same since neither is the GOAT.

Championships are binary, but greatness isn't. Some are greater than others, but everyone is striving for greatness, we admire it whenever we see it, and those who achieve it treasure whatever they can get, even when it isn't quite as much as what the next guy up has.

There are conference and division title banners...not every team chooses to hang them but they're a real thing.
normgod6
Junior
And1: 767

Post#47 » by normgod6 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:02 pm

shakes0 wrote:
BombsquadSammy wrote:
CarMalone wrote:People are framing losing the Finals in the wrong way. Imagine if winning the Finals is a Gold medal and losing means Silver. I would rather have 5 Golds and 5 Silvers than 5 Golds.

Spot-on.

this isnt true. the nba finals loser still won the conference championship

Sent from my SM-A530W using RealGM mobile app
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#48 » by shakes0 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:07 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:
BombsquadSammy wrote:

There are conference and division title banners...not every team chooses to hang them but they're a real thing.

not every team chooses to hang them. Think you answered just how much of a "real thing" conference championships are.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#49 » by NBAFan93 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:07 pm

Make every finals and win 50% is a much better career experience in my opinion. Narratives are probably much kinder to those who win 100% I’m sure.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#50 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:11 pm

shakes0 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:

not every team chooses to hang them. Think you answered just how much of a "real thing" conference championships are.

They're still both "real" and have a long history in the league. The idea that you weren't aware of this is just downright shameful.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,727

Post#51 » by ropjhk » Tue May 19, 2020 6:16 pm

Depends on the order of the wins. For example, I'd rather miss the finals in the first half of my career and then win the finals every year in the second half vs making the finals every year but never winning more than 2 in a row throughout my career.

Winning consecutive titles matter.
normgod6
Junior

Post#52 » by normgod6 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:27 pm

its so real that theres a literal trophy for it...
shakes0 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:

shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#53 » by shakes0 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:33 pm

normgod6 wrote:its so real that theres a literal trophy for it...
shakes0 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

nope, no trophy. Just a half ass participation banner similar to the one you get for "winning" your division. No one gives you anything for losing in the Finals. there is no award ceremony where anything, banner or trophy, is handed to the losing team after they lose the Finals. Very different from a silver medal.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,924

Post#54 » by RSP83 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:36 pm

*eye roll...
normgod6
Junior

Post#55 » by normgod6 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:36 pm

shakes0 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:

nope, no trophy. Just a half ass participation banner similar to the one you get for "winning" your division. No one gives you anything for losing in the Finals. there is no award ceremony where anything, banner or trophy, is handed to the losing team after they lose the Finals. Very different from a silver medal.

[url][/url]

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not
howlin mad axer
Starter
And1: 1,479

Post#56 » by howlin mad axer » Tue May 19, 2020 6:42 pm

I don't believe in half-win scenarios.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#57 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:50 pm

normgod6 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:

It's as if he's never watched the nba before...

binjumper
Veteran
And1: 3,719

Post#58 » by binjumper » Tue May 19, 2020 6:56 pm

the real question is would you rather be 6-6 in the finals or 3-8?
CarMalone
Sixth Man
And1: 2,628

Post#59 » by CarMalone » Tue May 19, 2020 7:00 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
normgod6 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:

It's as if he's never watched the nba before...

Don’t bother arguing with him, his opinion was formed before anyone corrected him and there’s nothing in the world that will change it. At this point he’s probably just being defensive.
MJ is the GOAT, but LeBron can be if he does 2 of the following:
[X] Win another FMVP
[ ] Win another MVP
[X] 40K/10K/10K career

ACHIEVED 3/2/2024
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,165

Post#60 » by Braggins » Tue May 19, 2020 7:02 pm

Whichever one applies to MJ is the better one. Thats how the discourse works.

Return to The General Board