Randle vs. Porzingis

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,782

Re: Randle vs. Porzingis 

Post#41 » by iLLmatic860 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:57 pm

Sometimes i wish randle and payton will get injured so we can see young guys play but he's so dam durable
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,673

Post#42 » by rapstarter » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:57 pm

Randle is probably better especially if you consider availability, but KP seems like the better fit next to Doncic who needs to have the ball.
zonedefense
Analyst
And1: 3,988

Post#43 » by zonedefense » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:58 pm

Ignoring health concerns it is easily KP. Playoff and bubble KP played on a level that Randle will probably never reach.
But health concerns are a thing and Randle improved enough to make it at least close. That said. Randle never looked as good when he had to share the ball with a better player and he really does not have an off ball skill set. He also isn´t good enough to lead a playoff team as the 1st option.
Randle might even be the better 1st option because he is more durable and consistent. For a team like the Knicks a guy that can give them 20/10/5 without missing games might be more useful.
For a contender KP has more value. Easily the better defender and actually making most of his impact off the ball. A rim protector that can average 25/10 (post allstar break last year) without any need to dominate the ball. Doesn´t matter if he misses some games as long as he can play in the important ones.
RoxSteady
Sixth Man
And1: 5,244

Post#44 » by RoxSteady » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:59 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
aguiar95 wrote:This is comical. There's no debate. Just let it go. It's over. He's not comming back. Stop with the hate. Your front office blew it. Move on.

Most Knicks fans don’t even care about KP anymore. Randle has been much better. But thanks for your input!

I like your posts and your support for your team, but I disagree. I think most Knick fans still have some feelings towards KP.
aguiar95
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#45 » by aguiar95 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:00 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
aguiar95 wrote:This is comical. There's no debate. Just let it go. It's over. He's not comming back. Stop with the hate. Your front office blew it. Move on.

Most Knicks fans don’t even care about KP anymore. Randle has been much better. But thanks for your input!

Doesn't feel like it. Sure he is. You're welcome.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 121,063

Post#46 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:03 pm

RoxSteady wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:

I like your posts and your support for your team, but I disagree. I think most Knick fans still have some feelings towards KP.

It’s mostly about how he acted like a diva when he was on the Knicks. He threatened to run away to Europe if he wasn’t traded and acted like he was the MVP of the league. Honestly I haven’t seen much Knicks fans saying they wish we still had him. In fact most of us are pretty content with our front court. It’s just our guards suck so much.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#47 » by ChaosHamster » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:06 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:The most impressive part about Randle is that he’s putting up 23/11/7 while getting double and triple teamed hard every single game. When we had KP as the first option he struggled.

Randle as a 1st option this year, 12 games: 23/11/7 playing 36 minutes a night. 5-7 record.

Porzingis as a first option in 17-18, first 12 games: 30/7 and 2 blocks in 33 minutes. 7-5 record.

When we had KP as the first option he struggled.

:noway:
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,393

Post#48 » by Scalabrine » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:08 pm

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:[gfycat][/gfycat]
rand wrote:I'd rather have Randle. KP is better defensively, Randle better offensively, by similar margins. But KP appears to have plateaued while Randle has found yet another level to his offensive game. Randle is also much more durable.

We could have both. But if Randle is a Knick for beyond the foreseeable future, I’d pick him because of a variable of reasons: will be a more team friendly contract, no health concerns, a willing passer.

It’s hard to say KP made him teammates better.

There’s no denying that KP has elite rim protection and shooting abilities. It’s tough, but I wouldn’t want the Knicks committed to KP contractually & watch him sit on the bench for 50% of every season.

We couldnt have both. We only had cap space to sign Randle because we attached THj and Courtney Lee's contracts with KP's. If we kept them all, we wouldn't have had cap space and we would be sitting on a max contract for KP with not much opportunity to create more.

Randle's progression has been unbelievable thus far. Yeah he's been our lead facilitator and his assist and shooting numbers are easy to spot as major improvements from this year to last, and those numbers have gone up while his usg% has actually decreased.

But whats really been overlooked is the fact that he's actually been a pretty solid defender. He's not an All-Defense level guy like KP should be, and he probably never will be, nor will he be a shot blocker, but we're a better defensive team when he's on the floor. He's good at staying in front of his man, contesting shots, keeping his hands active, and pushing the ball after he gets the defensive rebound. It's why I think that he's more or less here to stay...

As far as who I'd rather have? If both players are healthy, then KP is the obvious choice. He's such a presence defensively, and he can spread the floor (although he's a little overrated there). I don't think either player is a good enough number 1 option, and KP has such a perfect skill-set for a 2nd or 3rd option that I think you have to pick him. BUT he's never healthy, and it's not like fluke injuries, it's ligaments and structural stuff, so theres plenty of reason to believe he's never gonna be a guy that can play 75+ games without needing to rest B2B's, or being on a minutes limit. Randle is pretty much the opposite. He plays through injuries, wants all the minutes he can get, and is reliable. Add in the contract (KP makes 32 million aav, Randle 20.5 aav) and the decision starts to get easier.

All things considered, I say I'd rather have Randle on his smaller deal with better durability, than KP with his max contract and consistently questionable status. It's a great question though!
Go Knicks!
urgal
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,876

Post#49 » by urgal » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:11 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:look at the tweets I posted. It’s pretty obvious you haven’t watched any Knicks games. Keep exposing yourself. :lol:

Of course I haven't watched any Knicks games, I mean it's the Knicks...
That's not exposing myself, I'm actually proud of it.

But good to know the knicks savior has finally arrived.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#50 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:18 pm

ChaosHamster wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:The most impressive part about Randle is that he’s putting up 23/11/7 while getting double and triple teamed hard every single game. When we had KP as the first option he struggled.

Randle as a 1st option this year, 12 games: 23/11/7 playing 36 minutes a night. 5-7 record.

Porzingis as a first option in 17-18, first 12 games: 30/7 and 2 blocks in 33 minutes. 7-5 record.

And then he completely fell off. His effiency dropped to around 41% for the rest of the season and averaged 22 PPG and 6 RPG. Knicks record with him was 22-26.

You’re also ignoring that the Knicks have had the hardest schedule in the league. Knicks schedule in 17-18 to start wasn’t as hard as right now.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#51 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:22 pm

urgal wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:look at the tweets I posted. It’s pretty obvious you haven’t watched any Knicks games. Keep exposing yourself. :lol:

Of course I haven't watched any Knicks games, I mean it's the Knicks...
That's not exposing myself, I'm actually proud of it.

But good to know the knicks savior has finally arrived.

Should educate yourself before speaking on subjects you don’t know anything about then.
Muizha
Junior
And1: 220

Post#52 » by Muizha » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:26 pm

I am seriously questioning if people answering Randle to this topic's question are even remotely familiar with this sport called Basketball...
urgal
Bench Warmer

Post#53 » by urgal » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:26 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:Should educate yourself before speaking on subjects you don’t know anything about then.

And you should learn what the term "sample size" means.

I'd rather form my opinion on Randles 6 year career than the 8 good games he's had this year.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,900

Post#54 » by Johnny Firpo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:26 pm

OrangeBlueSkies wrote:
juanc wrote:Let's not forget that the Mavs got the 3 best players in that trade :lol:

I suppose, but Luka ain’t winning with EITHER of those dudes. KP has a contract that will hinder DAL.

And you know what, he doesn't have to. He is 21. When KP is an expiring, he'll still only be 23.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#55 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:28 pm

urgal wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Should educate yourself before speaking on subjects you don’t know anything about then.

And you should learn what the term "sample size" means.

I'd rather form my opinion on Randles 6 year career than the 8 good games he's had this year.

Go watch some games and then talk to me. Everything you’re saying is completely irrelevant until then. It’s like talking about a story of a book without even reading it.
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#56 » by ChaosHamster » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:30 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
ChaosHamster wrote:

And then he completely fell off. His effiency dropped to around 41% for the rest of the season and averaged 22 PPG and 6 RPG. Knicks record with him was 22-26.

You’re also ignoring that the Knicks have had the hardest schedule in the league. Knicks schedule in 17-18 to start wasn’t as hard as right now.

Sure, he played worse after the hot start. But he still kept the team somewhat close to .500. Lets see whats the record with Randle is gonna be this year, after ~50 games or so..

And according to this, we had 12th toughest schedule so far. http://www.espn.com/nba/stats/rpi/_/sort/SOS
urgal
Bench Warmer

Post#57 » by urgal » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:30 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:Go watch some games and then talk to me. Everything you’re saying is completely irrelevant until then. It’s like talking about a story of a book without even reading it.

It can't be more irrelevant than the Knicks are.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#58 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:37 pm

ChaosHamster wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
ChaosHamster wrote:

Sure, he played worse after the hot start. But he still kept the team somewhat close to .500. Lets see whats the record with Randle is gonna be this year, after ~50 games or so..

And according to this, we had 12th toughest schedule so far. http://www.espn.com/nba/stats/rpi/_/sort/SOS

When we were 5-3 it was the hardest schedule in ESPN
Read on Twitter

Knicks are still going to have a losing record with Randle so I’m not going to argue with you there. But he’s the main reason why we’re not 1-12. Our team has been awful without him. We have the lowest eFG% in the league when he’s off the floor.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#59 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:38 pm

urgal wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Go watch some games and then talk to me. Everything you’re saying is completely irrelevant until then. It’s like talking about a story of a book without even reading it.

It can't be more irrelevant than the Knicks are.

Are you done?
urgal
Bench Warmer

Post#60 » by urgal » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:46 pm

What people don't seem to realize is that Randle is essentially, even stat-wise, the exact same mediocre player he's always been.

He just has more points because he's playing a ridiculous 38 minutes a game because Thibs likes to run guys into the ground.

What exactly has changed? His 3pt % has already been plummeting.

Return to The General Board