Lamarcus Aldridge HOFer?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Is LMA a HOFer?

Yes
15%
No
85%

Total votes: 111

Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 146

Re: Lamarcus Aldridge HOFer? 

Post#41 » by Rashidi » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:33 am

Chris Webber is the cutoff (5 All-Star games). Everyone else with more is in the Hall.
Ritzo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,368

Post#42 » by Ritzo » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:00 am

Tmac set the standards recently.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#43 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:12 am

Rashidi wrote:Chris Webber is the cutoff (5 All-Star games). Everyone else with more is in the Hall.

Just a note:All Stars are not a real thing, or should not be, anymore. First, they can't account for guys like Rodman, and second,the E/W unbalance has made West All Stars far more telling than East All Stars for decades (Of course West All Stars are prescisely what LaMarcus has).

All NBA are more telling, and there, somehow, LaMarcus was always kind of the last big selected by writers who often as not just didn't want to vote for other guys more than they were enthusiastically jocking LaMarcus. Still, when it comes hall time, those distinctions are unlikely to be made. He's a s uninspiring as a HOF pick as he was as a star, but similar in a way to Vince, who just refused to retire and chugged his way to the HOF by raw stat accumulation, LaMarcus stayed healthy and kept on piling up numbers for so long he's almost in now without ever having been in a "best of" or "Top 10" conversation in his career.
TheProfessor
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#44 » by TheProfessor » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:15 am

7x allstar/5x allnba, he's a HOF. Find me an nba player that has more 7 or more allstar seasons and that is not in the HOF or find me a player that has 5 or more all-nbas and put those 2 criterias together. Yeah he's a HOF.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,649

Post#45 » by jpengland » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:21 am

Ben Wallace isn't in yet. And he's stratospheres above Aldridge.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,972

Post#46 » by Anticon » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:54 am

What exactly is the HOF criteria? I honestly do not know these days.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,049

Post#47 » by The_Hater » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:49 pm

It’s incredible how many people have Absolutely no clue where the HOF’s lines have already been drawn.

Aldridge is a virtual lock if he retires right now. 7 time all stars aren’t sent away at the door.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater

Post#48 » by The_Hater » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:52 pm

Ritzo wrote:Tmac set the standards recently.

For what exactly? TMac was a top 4-5 player at his peak. He was better than more than half the players in the HOF right now and isn’t even close to being the worst selection in recent years.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#49 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:10 pm

jpengland wrote:Ben Wallace isn't in yet. And he's stratospheres above Aldridge.

peak, but not career.

If Aldridge makes it, and he's likely to, it is on pure productive longevity, not overwhelming greatness at any one period/season.

I have a few problems with that, as I just don't think anybody ever bought a ticket to go see LaMarcus Aldridge, I don't think he was ever really "The Man" for his team, rarely was clearly his team's best guy or a guy you start a "LaMarcus Aldridge just dropped 50-20 on...!!!" sort of guy. But he was there year after year operating at lower tier All Star level, with the result that he has a career 32.5 VORP and 20.7PER, and again, critically, is one of the Top 50 accumulated scorers in NBA history. Long term productivity would be his card.

Aldridge 19887pts 32.5VORP 20.7PER
Webber 17182pts 42.1VORP 20.9PER
Griffin 13724pts 31.7VORP 21.7PER
Bosh 17189pts 31.1VORp 20.6PER

He doesn't feel like a Hall of Famer, but he's in the game statistically.
Eric Millegan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,317

Post#50 » by Eric Millegan » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:16 pm

Big J wrote:No single moment from his career besides the horrible Lakers free agency presentation stands out to me, so I’m going with no.

He had a sensational record breaking moment when he went supernova in Games 1 & 2 vs Rockets in 2014. 46/18 in Game 1 and 43/8 in Game 2. Unbelievably dominant shooting.
Check out "Around the NBA with Chris & Eric” on Underdog Podcasts.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,649

Post#51 » by jpengland » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:55 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:
jpengland wrote:Ben Wallace isn't in yet. And he's stratospheres above Aldridge.

peak, but not career.

If Aldridge makes it, and he's likely to, it is on pure productive longevity, not overwhelming greatness at any one period/season.

I have a few problems with that, as I just don't think anybody ever bought a ticket to go see LaMarcus Aldridge, I don't think he was ever really "The Man" for his team, rarely was clearly his team's best guy or a guy you start a "LaMarcus Aldridge just dropped 50-20 on...!!!" sort of guy. But he was there year after year operating at lower tier All Star level, with the result that he has a career 32.5 VORP and 20.7PER, and again, critically, is one of the Top 50 accumulated scorers in NBA history. Long term productivity would be his card.

What impact has Aldridge had?

He's been a solid player for a long time. But he's never really impacted anything, on either end.

Wallace was a legit superstar and both eye test and statistically one of the best defensive players of all time.

Plus he has a number of DPOY and has won a title as the heartbeat (and I'd argue best player) of the team.

This is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Being Quite Good for Quite a Long Time.
Ritzo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,368

Post#52 » by Ritzo » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:12 pm

The_Hater wrote:

For what exactly? TMac was a top 4-5 player at his peak. He was better than more than half the players in the HOF right now and isn’t even close to being the worst selection in recent years.

All I know is he's a 7 time All-star that never won a playoff series until 2013.
DoctorX
Veteran
And1: 3,554

Post#53 » by DoctorX » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:21 pm

jpengland wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:

peak, but not career.

He's been a solid player for a long time. But he's never really impacted anything, on either end.

Wallace was a legit superstar and both eye test and statistically one of the best defensive players of all time.

Plus he has a number of DPOY and has won a title as the heartbeat (and I'd argue best player) of the team.

This is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Being Quite Good for Quite a Long Time.

The impact is he was a 20-10 player for most of his career. Not many guys can do that. He also be came very good interior defensive player during his time with the Spurs from '15-'19. Spurs ended up winning back to back 60 plus season when they paired him with Kawhi. He lead the Spurs to the playoffs in '17-18 which was pretty impressive considering Kawhi decided to sit out the whole entire season and the second highest scorer on that team was Rudy Gay at 11.5 points per game. Very few players would have been able to get that Spurs team to the playoffs in the Western conference.
taufblazers33
Starter
And1: 650

Post#54 » by taufblazers33 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:26 pm

this is an easy yes. those that are saying no don't respect what LMA brought to the game with his inside/post talent which we rarely see. Peak LMA is > peak Bosh and KLove
ADawg22 wrote:Cavs announcer sounds like he has an orgasm everytime one of their players score.
The_Hater

Post#55 » by The_Hater » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:33 pm

Ritzo wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

All I know is he's a 7 time All-star that never won a playoff series until 2013.

Ya, he didn’t have much team playoff success. No argument here. But he was still an elite top 5 player at his peak. He lead the league in scoring twice while having an all around skill set. And 7 time all stars which several all league selections are hall of famers. Every time.

But if you want to look at a recent hall of famer to criticize for lack of team success, the far inferior Mitch Richmond is a much better choice. Tmac played 50 playoff games and actually played them at a high level scoring >30 ppg 4 different years. Mitch played 21 playoff games ever.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,253

Post#56 » by monopoman » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:05 pm

DoctorX wrote:
jpengland wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:
peak, but not career.

The impact is he was a 20-10 player for most of his career. Not many guys can do that. He also be came very good interior defensive player during his time with the Spurs from '15-'19. Spurs ended up winning back to back 60 plus season when they paired him with Kawhi. He lead the Spurs to the playoffs in '17-18 which was pretty impressive considering Kawhi decided to sit out the whole entire season and the second highest scorer on that team was Rudy Gay at 11.5 points per game. Very few players would have been able to get that Spurs team to the playoffs in the Western conference.

He was a very solid interior defender in a good portion of his Portland days also, his defense was underrated by most for a large section of his career. ****, when he was working with a young and less polished Lillard the team won back to back 50+ game seasons and this was before CJ was really showing what he could do yet.

Aldridge basically left a very good situation for one that might have been better if Kawhi stuck around but that didn't happen.
dennythedino
Senior
And1: 622

Post#57 » by dennythedino » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:44 pm

jpengland wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:

peak, but not career.

Ben Wallace should be in too, even though he would be bar none the worst offensive player in the Hall of Fame.

Unfortunately, Big Ben also doesn't have much longevity, his last 5 years in the league were irrelevant.
DoctorX
Veteran
And1: 3,554

Post#58 » by DoctorX » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:51 am

monopoman wrote:
DoctorX wrote:
jpengland wrote:

He was a very solid interior defender in a good portion of his Portland days also, his defense was underrated by most for a large section of his career. ****, when he was working with a young and less polished Lillard the team won back to back 50+ game seasons and this was before CJ was really showing what he could do yet.

Aldridge basically left a very good situation for one that might have been better if Kawhi stuck around but that didn't happen.

Agreed it was those back to back 50 win seasons he had with the Blazers that impressed me and got me excited about him joining the Spurs. It showed to me that he knew how win games and wasn't some empty stat padder.

If he could do it all over again I believe he would have stayed in Portland. I have heard he got jealous of all the attention Dame was getting over there and felt underappreciated. He hated playing with Kawhi due to his numbers suffering and Kawhi being a terrible playmaker while he was with the Spurs. I remember his experience with Kawhi is what made him appreciate playing with Dame got him to patch things up with Dame. I heard Dame say something a few years ago along the lines "When he played with me he still got his numbers."
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,253

Post#59 » by monopoman » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:14 am

DoctorX wrote:
monopoman wrote:
DoctorX wrote:

Agreed it was those back to back 50 win seasons he had with the Blazers that impressed me and got me excited about him joining the Spurs. It showed to me that he knew how win games and wasn't some empty stat padder.

If he could do it all over again I believe he would have stayed in Portland. I have heard he got jealous of all the attention Dame was getting over there and felt underappreciated. He hated playing with Kawhi due to his numbers suffering and Kawhi being a terrible playmaker while he was with the Spurs. I remember his experience with Kawhi is what made him appreciate playing with Dame got him to patch things up with Dame. I heard Dame say something a few years ago along the lines "When he played with me he still got his numbers."

Yeah, I think Dame hitting that series winning shot really dwarfed what LMA did in that series. LMA was the best player over the 6 game series without question but Dame hit the soul shattering shot just after Houston takes a 2 point lead with like 0.9 seconds left. I think LMA would handle it better in later years where Dame has clearly eclipsed him but at that time while Dame was good he was nowhere near the level we see now.

Dame is also much better at marketing himself and drawing attention, LMA is not really built that way. Thus another reason why Dame has garnered more attention and deals outside of the NBA. I also have heard that Dame broke the play to make that shot, I think Stotts drew up a tip in play for LMA near the hoop or something like that, but Dame saw he had a fairly wide open shot so he ran to Batum who was inbounding the ball and threw it up.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,993

Post#60 » by JasonStern » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:42 pm

EasternHeretic wrote:1st ballot?

Definitely not first ballot, but all it takes is one year where there aren't any better options. Side effect of having quotas instead of admitting or rejecting based solely on merit.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups

Return to The General Board