OT: Are Coaches In Suits Done For Good?

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,443

Re: OT: Are Coaches In Suits Done For Good? 

Post#41 » by Wallace_Wallace » Thu Dec 2, 2021 12:17 am

They should be able to wear anything. They could look like Daddy Rich (RIP Chuck Daly), or they could dress comfortable.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 29,068

Post#42 » by azcatz11 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 12:29 am

Wallace_Wallace wrote:They should be able to wear anything. They could look like Daddy Rich (RIP Chuck Daly), or they could dress comfortable.

Do you believe in dress codes at nice restaurants? This is the same principle
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant

Post#43 » by Wallace_Wallace » Thu Dec 2, 2021 12:34 am

azcatz11 wrote:
Wallace_Wallace wrote:They should be able to wear anything. They could look like Daddy Rich (RIP Chuck Daly), or they could dress comfortable.

If a restaurant requires a dress code, of course I would honor and respect it. Same with nightclubs or townhalls.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think the coaches are required to wear suits & ties in their contracts, same with the players. They can show up with tailor made suits or they could show up like they're going a Halloween party.
DonaldSanders
Head Coach
And1: 7,705

Post#44 » by DonaldSanders » Thu Dec 2, 2021 12:54 am

Haldi wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:Go to the financial district of any city in the world to see suits.

That's true.... but what Boats is saying has some truth to it. Generally company owners, big guys don't wear suits anywhere near as much as they used to. It's something I see middle management type guys do, performative stuff to seem professional. None of the guys I meet with that run companies run a suit.

It's a regional thing though, I notice some more conservative states the suit is still part of the "professional requirement" where in California nobody cares.

As for the thread, I'm fine if nobody wants to wear a suit anymore. Suits have always been part of a performative "professionalism" that I abhor. I've never owned one and never will.

Agreed… also, you can absolutely still dress proper and “professional” without it being a suit. The idea that a suit is the only way to seem 100% professional is one that is finally going away and that’s great. I do have nice suits and love to rock them for special occasions but I would never want to have to wear one everyday, ewww.

Yup! It's but one way to express yourself in terms of clothing. If you like it, great, enjoy. There is no need to impose suits as a requirement for professionalism, they should be for personal expression.

trueballer7 wrote:Unless you do manual labor, dressing up like an adult should be mandatory.

People like you are why I actively enjoy not wearing a suit, I weed out boot lickers real fast.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,819

Post#45 » by JDR720 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 1:13 am

Dress codes are dumb 90% of the time.

Coaches being required to wear suits is one of those times. Why do coaches need to look "professional"? They're coaching a sport, not doing a presentation at a business meeting.
chilluminati
Starter
And1: 4,301

Post#46 » by chilluminati » Thu Dec 2, 2021 1:14 am

Coach Nurse could never get THIS flexible in a suit. Comfort > "professionalism"
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,725

Post#47 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu Dec 2, 2021 1:19 am

Liam_Gallagher wrote:I'm still trying to find the correlation between the pandemic and dressing casual.
Everybpdy was home generally in leisure wear

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#48 » by vital_signs » Thu Dec 2, 2021 1:24 am

azcatz11 wrote:Just another example of the downfall of our society. A suit used to mean something. People used to take pride in how they dressed. Now coaches where jogging sweatpants on the sideline.

I see it as the oppostie of downfall. Let your work and actions do the talking instead of something as superficial closing. Then again I'm a slob who worries about comfort more than how people judge me soooooooooooooo there's that.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by Wallace_Wallace » Thu Dec 2, 2021 1:31 am

vital_signs wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:Just another example of the downfall of our society. A suit used to mean something. People used to take pride in how they dressed. Now coaches where jogging sweatpants on the sideline.

I see it as the oppostie of downfall. Let your work and actions do the talking instead of something as superficial closing. Then again I'm a slob who worries about comfort more than how people judge me soooooooooooooo there's that.

I think I understood what he meant. Yes, I still do believe the phrase "Dress to impress". At first glance, I do want to deal with the person in a suit and tie if this is the first meeting; however, after several times and we know each other well enough, it's whatever to me.

A coach does not have to impress how well he dresses, he just needs to win the damn game and make sure everyone's ego is in check.
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#50 » by vital_signs » Thu Dec 2, 2021 1:35 am

holy typos in my post, time for bed I think :D
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
Optms
RealGM
And1: 17,556

Post#51 » by Optms » Thu Dec 2, 2021 1:47 am

azcatz11 wrote:

Yeah.

Every time I see these coaches wearing casual pants and shirts, it makes the game feel less professional. This is stuff you'd see in a children's middle school game. We have fans paying a premium ticket courtside every game. The coaches should dress accordingly to the level of this profession. Its embarrassing TBH.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 17,556

Post#52 » by Optms » Thu Dec 2, 2021 1:52 am

JDR720 wrote:Dress codes are dumb 90% of the time.

Coaches being required to wear suits is one of those times. Why do coaches need to look "professional"? They're coaching a sport, not doing a presentation at a business meeting.

If you are against NBA coaches wearing suits, then why should business presenters be required to wear suits? Where is the logic here?

Both are highly skilled professions. The difference is there is even more eyes and money involved in this 'game'. At least be consistent.
ChuckChilly
Analyst
And1: 2,830

Post#53 » by ChuckChilly » Thu Dec 2, 2021 2:01 am

I think the casual wear makes more sense than the suits. Remember these guys are pacing back and forth, sweating and yelling all game. Another added benefit is that the casual garments theoreticaly gives them more ablitily of making quick moves to get out of the way of the action, players, refs, ball, etc. Would like to think it's better from a sustainability standpoint as well.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,819

Post#54 » by JDR720 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 2:26 am

Optms wrote:If you are against NBA coaches wearing suits, then why should business presenters be required to wear suits? Where is the logic here?

Both are highly skilled professions. The difference is there is even more eyes and money involved in this 'game'. At least be consistent.

I don't think business presenters need to either, but one of them is a more "professional" environment and the other is yelling on the sidelines of a basketball court. It makes more sense for business presenter to wear suits, that doesn't mean they should be required to. And just because I don't think they should be required to, doesn't mean coaches can't wear one. Saying they can't wear a suit would also be a dress code. Dress codes can be restrictive in positive & negative ways. You have to wear X. You can't wear Y.

The profession being skilled doesn't make a difference. Programmers who make 150k per year are in highly skilled professions too, yet I'd be pretty surprised if any of them wear suits. Fast food restaurants have dress codes, dress codes don't have to be for "skilled professions".
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,797

Post#55 » by The High Cyde » Thu Dec 2, 2021 2:27 am

When I was younger I told myself that I’d love to wear suits to work everyday…then I had to and hated it. Then we started working from home and pajamas and tanks it was lmao but sometimes I miss it. But it’s whatever haha
HollowEarth
Starter
And1: 2,104

Post#56 » by HollowEarth » Thu Dec 2, 2021 2:33 am

chilluminati wrote:Coach Nurse could never get THIS flexible in a suit. Comfort > "professionalism"
Before the first quarter ends, he'd tear the ass right out of it: blam!

Edit: and I just realized he's got some kind of political button on his shirt. You can't try to have folks take you seriously about major political change in America with the ass blown out of your pants
HollowEarth
Starter
And1: 2,104

Post#57 » by HollowEarth » Thu Dec 2, 2021 2:37 am

azcatz11 wrote:
IAMZOOTED2 wrote:I agree. Suits should come back. Plus, chix dig men in suits.

And a well fitting suit is way more comfortable than any other type of clothing. Nothing better than putting on a nice wrinkle free shirt right from the dry cleaner

No way. Suits have value. Zooted is right about looking good to chicks, or looking important, or looking upper-class. Suits are all about image. No way it's more comfortable though. If it really is the most comfy, go change your oil in a suit. Nobody changes their oil in a suit, and that's the whole point of the suit. The suit conveys the message: I can pay a man to change my oil.
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,709

Post#58 » by Flash4thewin » Thu Dec 2, 2021 3:16 am

I think this picture says it all.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 29,068

Post#59 » by azcatz11 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 3:32 am

HollowEarth wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

And a well fitting suit is way more comfortable than any other type of clothing. Nothing better than putting on a nice wrinkle free shirt right from the dry cleaner

No way. Suits have value. Zooted is right about looking good to chicks, or looking important, or looking upper-class. Suits are all about image. No way it's more comfortable though. If it really is the most comfy, go change your oil in a suit. Nobody changes their oil in a suit, and that's the whole point of the suit. The suit conveys the message: I can pay a man to change my oil.

I thought the same thing...and then I picked up an amazing custom fitted suit. The feel of a nice pressed cotton dress shirt, a great pair of dress socks, etc. It's just a visceral experience for me. I enjoy it.

With that said, I've been working from home also the past 2 years and haven't had an opportunity to wear a suit in awhile :lol:
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,725

Post#60 » by prophet_of_rage » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:09 am

HollowEarth wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

That isn't because it is uncomfortable but because oil is messy.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

Return to The General Board