Does anyone even stand a hope against the Nuggets next year?

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

Joshyjess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,516

Re: Does anyone even stand a hope against the Nuggets next year? 

Post#41 » by Joshyjess » Fri Sep 1, 2023 2:07 pm

Counterpoint - the Nuggest don't even make it to the WCF. they had an incredible run, but it won't happen again next year.
So there you have it! :thumbsup:
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,789

Post#42 » by nomansland » Fri Sep 1, 2023 2:59 pm

A lot can happen over the course of the season. Tough to predict at this point.
Airmiess
Sixth Man
And1: 1,663

Post#43 » by Airmiess » Fri Sep 1, 2023 3:03 pm

If Kawhi can just be a healthy for an entire season and postseason I will put my money on him, but alas..
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,675

Post#44 » by Phystic » Fri Sep 1, 2023 3:06 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:
Phystic wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:They definitely have the best top 4 by far, and the best duo as well. But MPJ is injury-prone, so you never know, and they are not very deep, in fact not deep at all, so that leaves other good teams with a chance.

By far? That seems like a pretty bold statement

Fair enough, I guess. I would rephrase it a little bit: they have the best duo and especially the best two-man game in a playoff context, and they have two role players in MPJ and Gordon who perfectly complement that duo and their playing style. And therefore, that unit outplays any other four combination in a +- context/efficacy, despite not being the most talented quartet overall. How does this sound?

:lol:. I mean it's clearly very good, that's why they won. MPJ seemed to really struggle in the playoffs, I don't watch enough nuggets to know if that's common or just a badly timed slump. Gordon I absolutely love and bet just about every team would love to have him.

Can't argue their efficacy in the postseason as they won last year. But there are quite a few duos that are up there. And even a few quarters that arguments can be made.

But again, they won, so it is fair to say they are the best.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,789

Post#45 » by nomansland » Fri Sep 1, 2023 3:09 pm

Phystic wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:
Phystic wrote:
By far? That seems like a pretty bold statement

Fair enough, I guess. I would rephrase it a little bit: they have the best duo and especially the best two-man game in a playoff context, and they have two role players in MPJ and Gordon who perfectly complement that duo and their playing style. And therefore, that unit outplays any other four combination in a +- context/efficacy, despite not being the most talented quartet overall. How does this sound?

:lol:. I mean it's clearly very good, that's why they won. MPJ seemed to really struggle in the playoffs, I don't watch enough nuggets to know if that's common or just a badly timed slump. Gordon I absolutely love and bet just about every team would love to have him.

Can't argue their efficacy in the postseason as they won last year. But there are quite a few duos that are up there. And even a few quarters that arguments can be made.

He struggled shooting but the other aspects of his game actually improved over the course of the playoffs. If he gets his shooting back he could be a monster next year.
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,917

Post#46 » by levon » Fri Sep 1, 2023 4:20 pm

Honestly maybe even injuries get them. Porter and Murray aren't the most durable players in the world
ryguy613
Sixth Man
And1: 1,993

Post#47 » by ryguy613 » Fri Sep 1, 2023 4:32 pm

stand a hope?
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,675

Post#48 » by Phystic » Fri Sep 1, 2023 4:52 pm

nomansland wrote:
Phystic wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:

He struggled shooting but the other aspects of his game actually improved over the course of the playoffs. If he gets his shooting back he could be a monster next year.

Ya I remember he was doing work on the boards, at least in the Suns series he was. Remember his shooting vanished for awhile.

I know defense used to be an issue for him but he seemed to be doing well as a help defender from what I recall
FrobeBryant
Pro Prospect
And1: 885

Post#49 » by FrobeBryant » Fri Sep 1, 2023 5:00 pm

Nobody stands a chance? Wow, I guess one ring in the entire franchise’s history warrants that kind of confidence. Let’s just cancel the season, what’s the point of even playing the games.
fuller4379
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,551

Post#50 » by fuller4379 » Fri Sep 1, 2023 5:10 pm

Maybe the Bucks or Suns. A lot depends on health too. Murray and Porter miss a lot of games.
fuller4379
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,551

Post#51 » by fuller4379 » Fri Sep 1, 2023 5:11 pm

Peregrine01 wrote:Boston seems to be the best team on paper.

Boston has gone backwards from last season.
MarcusBrody
Starter
And1: 3,907

Post#52 » by MarcusBrody » Fri Sep 1, 2023 5:11 pm

magee wrote:It's styles-makes-fights in the NBA now. Meaning, it's all about match-ups and as a precursor, full health. Denver doesn't have the bench to repeat and is one injury away from not even making the playoffs, even if they have Jokic healthy.

Two years ago they lost Murray for the entire season and MPJ for all but 9 games. And yet they were still the 6th seed. What non-Jokic injury do you see preventing them from reaching the playoffs?

As to the theme of this thread: I'm with everyone else. The Nuggets have a great starting five, but their depth is questionable. The Cancar injury hurts. I liked him more than Jeff Green last year. I don't understand why they quickly re-signed Reggie Jackson after he quickly dropped out of the rotation last year. I guess they think he'll settle in? I'm surprised that they didn't have any ring chasers calling them up for a look.

So I think they Nuggets could repeat, but it won't be an easy road and it really depends on Christian Braun really stepping up. Peyton Watson and Zeke Nnaji moving into serviceable backup range (Zeke has been on the border in the past) and at least one of the new guys showing they can contribute soon.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,121

Post#53 » by SK21209 » Fri Sep 1, 2023 5:27 pm

:roll:

I take the field over the Nuggets repeating easily. Compared to the last 10 or so champions, the Nuggets are good but not some historically great team.
Wigginstime
Sixth Man
And1: 2,559

Post#54 » by Wigginstime » Fri Sep 1, 2023 6:59 pm

Given the injury concerns of MPJ and Murray, combined with the Nuggets lack of depth - Its extremely hard to call the Nuggets a dominate favorite over the field.

If healthy they Nuggets are clearly the favorite; however, there are a lot of major questions going into the 2024 seasons. Specifically i am interested in:
1. How will the Suns with Beal look
2. Where does Dame Land?
3. How does Boston look after their roster revamp
4. Where will Harden land
5. Can the Lakers stay healthy
6. Can the Clippers stay healthy
7. How will CP3 work on the Warriors

I expect a health Nuggets and Bucks team to be the mid season front runners, but a lot could happen next year.
jym85
Sixth Man
And1: 502

Post#55 » by jym85 » Fri Sep 1, 2023 7:02 pm

Depends on their top 5 staying healthy
Looks like it's a pretty substantial drop-off in talent after them
MavsDirk41
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,154

Post#56 » by MavsDirk41 » Fri Sep 1, 2023 9:14 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Lakers
Suns

You mention the Lakers but not the Celtics or Bucks?? Lol i know you are a huge James fan and overrate the guy on here but:

- James is gonna be 39 in a 3 months
- James is gonna miss around 30 games this year
- Davis has always had problems staying healthy and will probably miss 30 or more games this year with injury
- Lakers will be a play in team again and will not have homecourt advantage throughout the playoffs

You really think adding Cam Reddish and Gabe Vincent is gonna make up for James and Davis missing so many games with injury?
Clav
Veteran
And1: 2,343

Post#57 » by Clav » Fri Sep 1, 2023 9:32 pm

There's always a chance because if Denver sustains a major injury, especially come playoffs, they will be in trouble as the depth isn't excellent with the loss of Brown and to some extent Jeff Green.
WC
Suns, Clippers & Lakers (if they retain good health in POs) and Warriors are my choices.
EC
In the East, I think the Celtics with Zinger, Bucks, and Heat [with Lillard] all can be right there to challenge. 76ers are a wild-card with how Harden's situation plays out.

That's 9 total teams, almost a third of the NBA.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,665

Post#58 » by NZB2323 » Fri Sep 1, 2023 11:24 pm

The Nuggets should be the favorites. It's ridiculous that Boston is the betting favorite.

With that being said, the Celtics, Bucks, Suns, Lakers, Grizzlies, Clippers, Warriors, and Pelicans I think would all stand a chance if they're healthy.

Remember when the 2014 Spurs set the record for point differential in a playoff series and then lost in the first round the next year? Remember when the 1983 76ers went 12-1 in the playoffs and lost in the first round the next year? Remember when the 1986 Boston Celtics went 15-3 in the playoffs and failed to repeat? Remember when the 67 76ers went 11-4 in the playoffs and didn't repeat? Remember when the 72 Lakers won 33 games in a row, won 69 games, went 12-3 in the playoffs and didn't repeat?

Wilt Chamberlain, Larry Bird, and Tim Duncan never repeated.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,192

Post#59 » by Hello Brooklyn » Fri Sep 1, 2023 11:34 pm

Honestly no.

If healthy Denver is the best team. Who could really beat them?

Boston imploded last year so why should I trust them?
Milwaukee looks more unstable with the Giannis situation.
Suns lack depth.
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,443

Post#60 » by Wallace_Wallace » Fri Sep 1, 2023 11:38 pm

I don't think Jokic and the Denver Nuggets think that way. Of course on paper they're one of the best in the league, but they won't defeat themselves due to arrogance.

Return to The General Board