Caitlin Clark is the first TRUE star in the history of woman’s basketball.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 91,412

Re: Caitlin Clark is the first TRUE star in the history of woman’s basketball. 

Post#41 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:57 pm

Ambrose wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:I feel like every fan (not women basketball fan) knew who Taurasi and Candace were, they were definitely big stars.

Also, what happened to Paige Bueckers? I see she is still in college, is there a reason for that? I mean I know most women NCAA players stay in college longer, but her hyped died down. She seemed to be the most hyped up highschool player in a longest time, way more than Clark.

Paige was injured last year. She also doesn't play a role like Clark. Clark has the deep 3's, the insane vision, and the whole offense revolves around her. Paige does a lot more work off-ball, does more of the dirty work, she plays within the offense a lot more, and she's more of a jack of all trades kind of player. Her game doesn't actually lend itself that much to popularity but is equally as conducive towards winning. When she has to she can ramp things up and be more on ball and lock down opponents, but that's not how she's used that often.

Tell me you haven't watched Paige play without telling me you haven't watched her play.

Seriously go Youtube some Paige clips and tell me she doesn't have an exciting game. I promise you will either walk this back or are just one of those people who can't ever admit they are wrong because just her passing alone is stupid entertaining.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,399

Post#42 » by lambchop » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:59 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
LV-Suns wrote:I feel like Britney Griner and Candace Parker was just as hyped or even more hyped than Clark coming out of college.

Dallas Mavericks implying they could draft Griner was a real thing. I mean it was a joke idea, but it was real. People really talked about Parker and Griner non stop when they were in the NCAA. I mean Candace Parker's husband was in the NBA, and a very high draft pick if I remember well, and he was WAY less popular than Candace.

To be fair, he only averaged 4ppg so it's obvious why he wasn't popular, despite being picked 5th overall. Hasheem Thabeet was never popular either.

On a side note, you sent me down the rabbit hole of realizing Candace Parker got divorced and then married a Russian woman she now has a child with.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,787

Post#43 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:01 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
LV-Suns wrote:I feel like Britney Griner and Candace Parker was just as hyped or even more hyped than Clark coming out of college.

Dallas Mavericks implying they could draft Griner was a real thing. I mean it was a joke idea, but it was real. People really talked about Parker and Griner non stop when they were in the NCAA. I mean Candace Parker's husband was in the NBA, and a very high draft pick if I remember well, and he was WAY less popular than Candace.

Not to mention her brother Anthony Parker was also in the NBA. Oddly they lived a few miles away from Toni Parker's brothers. Strange side note.

Candace was really hyped. I do think Clark is different though
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 49,219

Post#44 » by DOT » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:02 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:I feel like every fan (not women basketball fan) knew who Taurasi and Candace were, they were definitely big stars.

Also, what happened to Paige Bueckers? I see she is still in college, is there a reason for that? I mean I know most women NCAA players stay in college longer, but her hyped died down. She seemed to be the most hyped up highschool player in a longest time, way more than Clark.

Paige was injured last year. She also doesn't play a role like Clark. Clark has the deep 3's, the insane vision, and the whole offense revolves around her. Paige does a lot more work off-ball, does more of the dirty work, she plays within the offense a lot more, and she's more of a jack of all trades kind of player. Her game doesn't actually lend itself that much to popularity but is equally as conducive towards winning. When she has to she can ramp things up and be more on ball and lock down opponents, but that's not how she's used that often.

Tell me you haven't watched Paige play without telling me you haven't watched her play.

Seriously go Youtube some Paige clips and tell me she doesn't have an exciting game. I promise you will either walk this back or are just one of those people who can't ever admit they are wrong because just her passing alone is stupid entertaining.

BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,689

Post#45 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:05 pm

Laimbeer wrote:I'l be that guy - a lot of the popularity is because she's white. She's one of the greatest women's players we've seen and I'm not sure we've seen any women with her range. But I don't think there's some big gap between her and other great women's players we've seen. How else would you account for the buzz?

Juju watkins just made the cover of SLAM. Last night was hyped up because of matchups between *four* star players, two of which are black. Does her being white make her more widely marketable, especially being from the midwest? Sadly yes, but overall women's basketball is just more popular now.
Texas Chuck

Post#46 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:06 pm

Also nothing against the OP, but this is like when someone discovers something for the first time and just assumes nobody else knew about it either since they didn't. It's just an inability to understand the world operates independently from them.

There have been star female hoopers before obviously. One can argue about the difference in exposure due to social media, more TV etc... but Cheryl Miller was undeniably a star. Swoopes. Leslie. Moore. Lobo. Taursi. Griner. And countless more.

But welcome to women's hoops OP. Glad you are no longer one of those posters who just wants to bag on them because they don't dunk like Vince Carter.

#GrowtheGame #whateverittakes
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Texas Chuck

Post#47 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:07 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:I'l be that guy - a lot of the popularity is because she's white. She's one of the greatest women's players we've seen and I'm not sure we've seen any women with her range. But I don't think there's some big gap between her and other great women's players we've seen. How else would you account for the buzz?

Juju watkins just made the cover of SLAM. Last night was hyped up because of matchups between *four* star players, two of which are black. Does her being white make her more widely marketable, especially being from the midwest? Sadly yes, but overall women's basketball is just more popular now.

Paige winning player of the year as a freshman addressed this brilliantly. Can't link this from work computer, but you can find her speech easily. She basically used her opportunity to say hey black women rule but don't get the same exposure as us--let's fix it. Pretty impressive stuff for a 19 year to use her moment to shine it elsewhere.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,762

Post#48 » by shrink » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:08 pm

Unlike men, most women do not decline team USA invites and we get best players on team team USA almost every time, despite the fact most of these players basically play 2 seasons per year, normal seasons plus WNBA season. But ok, they do not support USA...

Men in most sports play for Team USA. Most men in even the most lucrative sports (I assume you’re referencing NBA) play for Team USA in the Olympics.

Women soccer players and NBA players in non-Olympic years are facing vastly different economic decisions.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,557

Post#49 » by Ambrose » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:13 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Ambrose wrote:

I think I worded "doesn't actually lend itself that much to popularity" part poorly because I was not suggesting she doesn't have an exciting or entertaining game.

What I was intending to get across was this: She plays more off ball, which generally doesn't lend itself to as much popularity as playing primarily on-ball does. I think that's fair to say, wouldn't you agree? That is not meant to imply she isn't entertaining herself.
KembaWalker
RealGM
And1: 11,807

Post#50 » by KembaWalker » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:13 pm

You could just say “next big star” and give Caitlin the same amount of props without going out of your way to **** on everyone else that’s given their all in the sport

Just feels like it’s more an attempt to deceptively bash women’s ball than give it the hype it’s earned this year
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,868

Post#51 » by Marrrcuss » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:14 pm

shrink wrote:
Marrrcuss wrote:
shrink wrote:There have been some terrific women’s players, maybe better than Clark, but if “star” means “popularity,” I think the OP is right.

For example, ESPN led off their news with the Clark’s Elite Eight game, and analysis, and then .. “oh btw, MLB had a no hitter.”

ESPN has completed their goal. They now tell us whats most important by the order of their show and how they promote the games.

My homie said he was on the edge of his seat for this game. :roll:

How would you measure “popularity?” You don’t think a stupid media-driven company like ESPN wouldn’t prioritize popularity over importance when they determine the order of their news?

If you ever see one of their NBA a talk shows, it’s all about five popular teams and ten popular stars, not necessarily the best teams or stats. I think they are completely driven by popularity.

I think they determine it. Thats my point. When you ARE sports, you tell us what good.

Its funny how they do it before the Football Selection show. Someone like Herbstreit will give you ESPNs stance up front. They do the same with every selection show.

If you arent caught up with the C.Clark hype, wouldnt the no hitter be more important But since they televised it and will televise the final 4, its in their best interest to pump it first.
Texas Chuck

Post#52 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:16 pm

Ambrose wrote:What I was intending to get across was this: She plays more off ball, which generally doesn't lend itself to as much popularity as playing primarily on-ball does. I think that's fair to say, wouldn't you agree? That is not meant to imply she isn't entertaining herself.

This season sure. UConn is rife with injuries so they are playing 4 guards and Paige is having to play up the lineup. But before this year she's always been her team's primary ballhandler/playmaker. And I suspect at the next level, she will go back to that role.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,762

Post#53 » by shrink » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:16 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Also nothing against the OP, but this is like when someone discovers something for the first time and just assumes nobody else knew about it either since they didn't. It's just an inability to understand the world operates independently from them.

There have been star female hoopers before obviously. One can argue about the difference in exposure due to social media, more TV etc... but Cheryl Miller was undeniably a star. Swoopes. Leslie. Moore. Lobo. Taursi. Griner. And countless more.

I don’t think this is quite right. Although the OP unfortunately uses the word “star,” in the title, he or she in the post is talking about popularity, which could be measured by tv ratings. That is based on the potential viewing population, not just him discovering it.

Clark’s college tv ratings are setting all time records, breaking anything Swoopes, Leslie, Lobo, Taurasi or Griner did. I don’t think it’s unfair to say from a popularity metric (and in game records) that Clark has surpassed them all as college players. We have yet to see if this popularity (and her game) will surpass them as wNBA pro’s.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,557

Post#54 » by Ambrose » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:20 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Ambrose wrote:What I was intending to get across was this: She plays more off ball, which generally doesn't lend itself to as much popularity as playing primarily on-ball does. I think that's fair to say, wouldn't you agree? That is not meant to imply she isn't entertaining herself.

This season sure. UConn is rife with injuries so they are playing 4 guards and Paige is having to play up the lineup. But before this year she's always been her team's primary ballhandler/playmaker. And I suspect at the next level, she will go back to that role.

For sure. When the game tightened down the stretch, that's how they started using her more last night, and they were right to do so because she was huge in those moments. I'm a big fan of Paige, I may not have worded it properly, but my post was meant to be appreciative not critical.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,492

Post#55 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:21 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Since we already went haywire with race angle, I will let myself to respond to this brilliant comment here, f it :

Pelon chingon wrote:Well for starters she isn't insufferable like the majority of the WNBA players and she actually supports the U.S.A. The rest of the league should take note that a little humility goes a long way.

What does that mean? I assume that players have political opinions, like Megan Rapinoe?

Unlike men, most women do not decline team USA invites and we get best players on team team USA almost every time, despite the fact most of these players basically play 2 seasons per year, normal seasons plus WNBA season. But ok, they do not support USA...

Some people are still mad that a handful of athletes decided to kneel during the playing of The National Anthem pregame, to protest racial inequality.
And since they don't like their protest, they've decided to claim that these people "hate America," because unfortunately that's the state of American politics -- You can't just disagree with someone these days, it's much more popular to personally insult them.
A lot of media these days plays on people's emotions. They want you to hate the people you disagree with, not just disagree, and in order to justify that hatred they have to convince you the others are not just wrong but evil -- hence terms like, "hate America," "Marxists/Communists," and on the other side, "racist," fascist," etc.
Not to say there aren't people who hate America, or are racist, or commies or fascists, but it's not as prevalent as opinion media (think Rush Limbaugh-style media) likes to convince people.

I think two party system is failing on its face, it really divided American people big time, I do not think it was that much a thing before, but now it is brutal. People even huge in politics barely think for themselves some times, they see their party support the idea while their opponent party does not, so they automatically support the idea themselves. As a person who comes from multi party systems, it seems rather unbelievable to agree with one party on everything while disagreeing with other on everything.

But that said, maybe us people are that simple, because I would look what major GOP defenders support nowadays and be amazed how I do in fact disagree with EVRYTHING. Like how is that even possible, we aren't talking things from even close to same fields, but if they will have opinion on any field, I most likely will disagree with it strongly. And maybe I am wrong and they are right, but in my view, my moral code is complete opposite of what these people preaching today. Maybe we people really are that black and white, and American politics have that figured out?

I am not a huge American Democrat fan or anything, I wish both parties did many things way different, but I see them as GOP opposition, so as of today, I tend to support that party just because of that fact. I never was biggest GOP fan, but right now, that side seem to have lost everything I would find appealing, but that is just my opinion, and maybe I am the bad guy.

I did in fact talked to one GOP supporter recently and he did flat out told me - that I should not support democrats, because they hate America... Obviously, none of these people actually hate America, I might hate GOP politicians and their mascot, but not like I believe they are Chinese double agent spies, they really believe they are doing the right thing, but everyone will never agree what is the right thing is, and that what politics IS.

Anyhow, I know this is not the place for this talk, and I am sorry, I know no one wants to read any of it, it just a therapeutic to write this out sometimes.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#56 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:24 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Not to mention her brother Anthony Parker was also in the NBA. Oddly they lived a few miles away from Toni Parker's brothers. Strange side note.

Candace was really hyped. I do think Clark is different though

Dude, I totally forgot Anthony Parker is her brother. How did I forget that? I mean it is not in my schedule, to rethink Parker family often, but yeah, somehow I have forgotten that.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,734

Post#57 » by hugepatsfan » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:25 pm

Is Caitlin Clark driving the interest in women's basketball compared to the great players of the past? Or is she benefiting from a bigger push of the sport in recent years and getting extra popularity over her predecessors because she is the star of that time?

I think it's more the latter than the former. In terms of on court merits, not sure she is head and shoulders above the greats that came before her. But there's a genuine interest in or at least receptiveness to women's basketball that I can't recall in my lifetime now. For year's it's been pushed but seems like those efforts have ramped up with more consciousness nation-wide about gender equality and that type of stuff. So Clark has the good fortune not just of being a great player, but being great at a time where the spork's popularity is peaking. And don't get me wrong, she's a part of that. But it's bigger than her.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,714

Post#58 » by og15 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:30 pm

She's projected #1 2025 WNBA draft by a lot of people IIRC
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#59 » by UcanUwill » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:30 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:Is Caitlin Clark driving the interest in women's basketball compared to the great players of the past? Or is she benefiting from a bigger push of the sport in recent years and getting extra popularity over her predecessors because she is the star of that time?

It is a closed circle I guess, but isn't the sport is gaining momentum cause of Clark? People were pushing womens basketball in America for a long time, and as we discussed, there were many stars of the past, but Clark is the biggest one so far, and I do not think it is the timing.

As a dummy, I will ask, how is NCAA level even comparable to PROs, on women side? I get that Clark will be star in WNBA and in Turkey/Russia/whenever she plays as PRO, but is there a chance that at pro level, she is actually not THAT great?
Texas Chuck

Post#60 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:31 pm

shrink wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Also nothing against the OP, but this is like when someone discovers something for the first time and just assumes nobody else knew about it either since they didn't. It's just an inability to understand the world operates independently from them.

I don’t think this is quite right. Although the OP unfortunately uses the word “star,” in the title, he or she in the post is talking about popularity, which could be measured by tv ratings. That is based on the potential viewing population, not just him discovering it.

Clark’s college tv ratings are setting all time records, breaking anything Swoopes, Leslie, Lobo, Taurasi or Griner did. I don’t think it’s unfair to say from a popularity metric (and in game records) that Clark has surpassed them all as college players. We have yet to see if this popularity (and her game) will surpass them as wNBA pro’s.

Okay. I still think there have been plenty of stars before here, even if you want to talk only about popularity. Jordan was a bigger star than anyone before him, but we would never say Mikan, Oscar, Wilt, Russ, Doctor J, Kareem, etc weren't stars.

If he wanted to make a thread that said I believe Clark to be the most popular female hooper ever he'd get a different response. But he chose to say what he said and when you use all caps, I think he meant exactly what he put in his title. Otherwise he never does that. He used all caps and first in history. Those are quite clear statements.

He deserves every bit of the pushback he is getting.

Return to The General Board