For the 2nd time in 3 years, Luka upsets #1 seed to make WCF

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Handlez
Senior
And1: 839

Re: For the 2nd time in 3 years, Luka upsets #1 seed to make WCF 

Post#41 » by Handlez » Sun May 19, 2024 5:33 am

Jabroni Lames wrote:Luka is banged up, and Jason Kidd takes down the number 1 seed with a legit MVP candidate. Kidd would’ve been skewered if he lost. Heading to the WCF for the second time in 3 seasons. Yet Nick Nurse is praised for losing in the first round with Sixers against the Knicks missing Randle and hasn’t done anything in the playoffs since he lost Kawhi Leonard.

Is there a racial bias against black coaches like Kidd and Doc Rivers when they lose, but nothing for white coaches like Nurse, who get almost no criticism from the fans or media?

Oh gosh. :lol:
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,204

Post#42 » by ejftw » Sun May 19, 2024 5:34 am

Jabroni Lames wrote:Luka is banged up, and Jason Kidd takes down the number 1 seed with a legit MVP candidate. Kidd would’ve been skewered if he lost. Heading to the WCF for the second time in 3 seasons. Yet Nick Nurse is praised for losing in the first round with Sixers against the Knicks missing Randle and hasn’t done anything in the playoffs since he lost Kawhi Leonard.

Is there a racial bias against black coaches like Kidd and Doc Rivers when they lose, but nothing for white coaches like Nurse, who get almost no criticism from the fans or media?

ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,128

Post#43 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 19, 2024 5:42 am

Kidd is half white half black.
aemannarwal
Junior
And1: 262

Post#44 » by aemannarwal » Sun May 19, 2024 5:43 am

Kidd is black ???
donato
Junior
And1: 632

Post#45 » by donato » Sun May 19, 2024 5:44 am

Luka is so good.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 17,300

Post#46 » by Optms » Sun May 19, 2024 5:46 am

Not sure about the race angle but one thing is clear:

Nurse is getting a massive pass while getting exposed every year. While no one wants to give Kidd any credit.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,262

Post#47 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sun May 19, 2024 5:52 am

as scripted. I'm not a betting man as my state prohibits it but if I was, I'd bet on the Mavericks to win it all. You people don't have a clue how desperate the NBA is to justify the next TV contract and to show how they have faces of the league to take over when Lebron and Steph retire. Luka is that player they're banking on being that guy and he can't be that guy unless he's a champion. Once that happens all the advertisers will come out of the woodwork and he'll be in commercials, print-ads, late night TV, SNL, etc.

When the NBA decides who becomes the face of its league they don't mess around. They merged with the ABA to get Dr. J. They steered (nobody talks about this or will admit it) Bird to the Celtics and Magic to the Lakers. They steered Kobe and Shaq to the Lakers. They steered home town hero Lebron to the Cavs. They steered Luka to the Mavs. They steered Wembanyama to the Spurs. Call me a conspiracy theorist all you want but when I'm proven right give me my props.
Handlez
Senior
And1: 839

Post#48 » by Handlez » Sun May 19, 2024 5:55 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:as scripted. I'm not a betting man as my state prohibits it but if I was, I'd bet on the Mavericks to win it all. You people don't have a clue how desperate the NBA is to justify the next TV contract and to show how they have faces of the league to take over when Lebron and Steph retire. Luka is that player they're banking on being that guy and he can't be that guy unless he's a champion. Once that happens all the advertisers will come out of the woodwork and he'll be in commercials, print-ads, late night TV, SNL, etc.

When the NBA decides who becomes the face of its league they don't mess around. They merged with the ABA to get Dr. J. They steered (nobody talks about this or will admit it) Bird to the Celtics and Magic to the Lakers. They steered Kobe and Shaq to the Lakers. They steered home town hero Lebron to the Cavs. They steered Luka to the Mavs. They steered Wembanyama to the Spurs. Call me a conspiracy theorist all you want but when I'm proven right give me my props.

Maybe you're right.

But why try to give OKC the game tonight?
dygaction
General Manager
And1: 4,860

Post#49 » by dygaction » Sun May 19, 2024 5:59 am

Optms wrote:

Nurse is getting a massive pass while getting exposed every year. While no one wants to give Kidd any credit.

I would say every coach should get a huge benefit of doubt for winning a franchise the only championship. It happened to Nurse at TOR and Carlise at DAL. Embiid and Giannis/Lillard' injuries saved their coach jobs.
blueberrysticky
Analyst
And1: 315

Post#50 » by blueberrysticky » Sun May 19, 2024 6:00 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:as scripted. I'm not a betting man as my state prohibits it but if I was, I'd bet on the Mavericks to win it all. You people don't have a clue how desperate the NBA is to justify the next TV contract and to show how they have faces of the league to take over when Lebron and Steph retire. Luka is that player they're banking on being that guy and he can't be that guy unless he's a champion. Once that happens all the advertisers will come out of the woodwork and he'll be in commercials, print-ads, late night TV, SNL, etc.

This post is also scripted to make us question the script and ensure what happens regardless is part of the script. My post is also a script. FarBeyondDriven works for the nba's script program. Reading this post is changing the outcome of the NBA for $$$ word-by-word. Regardless enjoy the outcome and know whatever it is...it's a script. I just wish Hollywood had as good actors as these NBA players.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 19, 2024 6:01 am

Optms wrote:

To be fair Kidd was traded as a coach and fired as a coach before while Nurse did win a championship. Although Nurse was also fired and Kidd has done better in Dallas than his previous stops while Nurse hasn't.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 17,300

Post#52 » by Optms » Sun May 19, 2024 6:09 am

dygaction wrote:
Optms wrote:

I would say every coach should get a huge benefit of doubt for winning a franchise the only championship. It happened to Nurse at TOR and Carlise at DAL. Embiid and Giannis/Lillard' injuries saved their coach jobs.

Lets be honest about it though.

Kawhi got them that title. And the only reason the Raptors even won, was because the Warriors collapsed with injuries. Nurses title means less than Doc Rivers did vs a prime Lakers team with Kobe and Pau as a comparison.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 19, 2024 6:13 am

Optms wrote:
dygaction wrote:
Optms wrote:

Kawhi got them that title. And the only reason the Raptors even won, was because the Warriors collapsed with injuries. Nurses title means less than Doc Rivers did vs a prime Lakers team with Kobe and Pau as a comparison.

I would argue that NBA coaches in general are overrated. Nobody's winning the title without a superstar. Even if you have a Haliburton does anyone think Indiana is winning it all? Nope. Phil Jackson won with MJ Pippen Kobe Shaq, Pop won all his rings with Duncan etc.. etc...

The teams that can realistically win it all have Jokic, Luka, Ant and Tatum. Those were 4 of the top 6 MVP candidates, and Shai just lost to Luka's team another one, and Giannis got hurt.
f l u r p
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 67

Post#54 » by f l u r p » Sun May 19, 2024 6:18 am

Stan wrote:While technically true, nobody would truly consider this an "upset". Absolutely nobody is surprised Dallas won this series, not even comparable to Phoenix two years ago.

So, the Thunder were a mirage? A fake #1 seed? I saw loads of people on social media and the actual media picking Thunder.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,204

Post#55 » by ejftw » Sun May 19, 2024 6:20 am

Optms wrote:
dygaction wrote:
Optms wrote:

Lettuce be cereal

Doc Rivers has choked a 3-1 lead on three occasions, once as heavy favorites too boot.

Doc Rivers is 16-33 in a seven game series when his team has three wins.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 14,182

Post#56 » by Chuck Everett » Sun May 19, 2024 6:31 am

Just wanted an excuse to post this gif.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
shza
Pro Prospect
And1: 893

Post#57 » by shza » Sun May 19, 2024 6:43 am

Optms wrote:
dygaction wrote:
Optms wrote:

100%. And other than that one year he was gifted a rental of Kawhi and catastrophic injuries to the obvious best team, he had a worse record with the Raps than Casey (whom Raps fans love to hate). And Nurse has of course been a losing failure ever since. The idea that guy was ever an above average — let alone top five (!!!) — NBA coach is ridiculous. (As is the notion that America views mixed race people as non-black.)

Back on topic, happy for Luka and love having him in the NBA. Sun, Kings, and Hawks really f’d up. Kings especially lol.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,500

Post#58 » by Mavrelous » Sun May 19, 2024 8:46 am

The Luka formula is close to being solved, another dominant iso guard next to him (Brunson in 22, Kyrie in 24), 3&D guard, 3&D wing (Bullock/DFS in 22, DJJ/PJW in 24), rim running/rim protecting center + small ball switchable 5 ( Powell (non rim protecting, main flaw in the 22 team)/Maxi and Lively/Gafford/Maxi in 24).
Crazy thing is, I think this team is better at every spot than 22, Kyrie is better than 22 Brunson, better fit at least, DJJ>Bullock, PJW<>DFS (PJ is the better overall offensive player, and better man defender, DFS is a better shooter and better help defender), Lively>>>Powell, Mavs only lack bench guard of Dinwiddie level.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 19, 2024 11:03 am

Mavrelous wrote:The Luka formula is close to being solved, another dominant iso guard next to him (Brunson in 22, Kyrie in 24), 3&D guard, 3&D wing (Bullock/DFS in 22, DJJ/PJW in 24), rim running/rim protecting center + small ball switchable 5 ( Powell (non rim protecting, main flaw in the 22 team)/Maxi and Lively/Gafford/Maxi in 24).
Crazy thing is, I think this team is better at every spot than 22, Kyrie is better than 22 Brunson, better fit at least, DJJ>Bullock, PJW<>DFS (PJ is the better overall offensive player, and better man defender, DFS is a better shooter and better help defender), Lively>>>Powell, Mavs only lack bench guard of Dinwiddie level.

What sucks is it's up in the air if we can keep DJJ next season. We probably won't be able to match the best offer for him, but maybe Mavs talk to him and say take 5 million this year and we can bump it to 15-20 million per season next year. I think he wants to stay, but he's only made 30 million in 9 seasons.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 19, 2024 11:11 am

Read on Twitter

Return to The General Board