End of an era (TNT's Inside the NBA)

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Re: End of an era (TNT's Inside the NBA) 

Post#41 » by Clemenza » Wed May 22, 2024 5:15 pm

I like Inside The NBA just as much as the next guy, but they got Emmys & ratings for basically hating on current players. Even worse now with Draymond on the show. Maybe it is time for them to hang it up.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 24,124

Re: End of an era 

Post#42 » by dhsilv2 » Wed May 22, 2024 5:15 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:Well NBC has a year to figure it out so let’s see what happens.

I get why some are annoyed by the show it isn’t basketball rich it is about personality. Those guys work well together. Hard to recreate. Aside from EJ who is a pro and maybe Charles who is an excellent gimmick guy, not sure Shaq or Kenny fit in any other crew

Kenny and EJ used to do the show by themselves with random 3rds added in before Chuck joined. Kenny would be fine. Shaq...he wont' work anywhere.
JustBuzzin
RealGM
And1: 8,986

Post#43 » by JustBuzzin » Wed May 22, 2024 5:16 pm

Well at least we get one more year. Next season will be a special run for those guys. I'm gonna DVR every episode.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#44 » by dhsilv2 » Wed May 22, 2024 5:23 pm

Meeksology wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:
Meeksology wrote:Adam Silver has slowly been killing the game I love, all for the **** money. The man has no moral values. Not surprised he's getting rid of the most loved sports show in television history.

After reviewing who gets what, really the only thing lost here is the Friday night slate on ESPN. Seems like everything will still be accessible. I'm not getting Prime to watch the in season tournament so no harm no foul on my end. And the Cavs/Magic series is probably the one Prime is getting, taking the place of NBATV if these deals started this season.

Im not sure how true it is, but apparently there were reports that TNT matched NBC's offer of 2.5 billion. Silver rejected it,and said if you want the rights you will have to beat NBC's offer. So if this is correct, he had the chance to keep Inside the NBA AND still have the same amount of money offered, but he rejected it.... because?? He is a pos weasel who has always been about the bottom dollar. No integrity.

NBC is public broadcasting..it's just better for the league to be on there.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 16,459

Post#45 » by ForeverTFC » Wed May 22, 2024 5:27 pm

Meeksology wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:
Meeksology wrote:Adam Silver has slowly been killing the game I love, all for the **** money. The man has no moral values. Not surprised he's getting rid of the most loved sports show in television history.

After reviewing who gets what, really the only thing lost here is the Friday night slate on ESPN. Seems like everything will still be accessible. I'm not getting Prime to watch the in season tournament so no harm no foul on my end. And the Cavs/Magic series is probably the one Prime is getting, taking the place of NBATV if these deals started this season.

Im not sure how true it is, but apparently there were reports that TNT matched NBC's offer of 2.5 billion. Silver rejected it,and said if you want the rights you will have to beat NBC's offer. So if this is correct, he had the chance to keep Inside the NBA AND still have the same amount of money offered, but he rejected it.... because?? He is a pos weasel who has always been about the bottom dollar. No integrity.

Couple of things:

1. WBD (TNT parent) had matching rights but it was hard for them to match the NBC deal as they committed to airing some games over the air (Similar to ESPN/ABC, we will likely see USA/NBC); TNT does not have any over the air channels (only cable channels - equivalent to ESPN/USA) and the NBA claimed that the matching rights included the whole contract, not just the price. If that was the case, WBD never really had a path to matching
2. WBD CEO said 2 years ago that "TNT doesn't need the NBA"; that was never going to sit well with the league and they were determined to show that they still had the upper hand and competition for their product; Silver not only negotiated a better deal but also set the league up with a stronger hand in future negotiations by showing the league can find partners that want it

Ultimately, WBD bluffed and lost out. Silver was able to get a better deal for the league (more money, more households with games through NBC) and strengthen its negotiating position by 1) bringing in the tech guys into the fold and 2) showing that network/cable TV still values the content highly and needs it. Silver works for the owners and his job is to maximize the negotiating position of the league. You can also argue he did right by the fans by getting games on an over the air channel that doesn't require a cable subscription, bringing the game into more households.

I don't think WBD has anyone to blame but themselves; yes negotiations are real but you don't go in front of everyone and say "we don't need the NBA" when you clearly do.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,488

Post#46 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed May 22, 2024 5:36 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
Castle Black wrote:While their actual basketball analysis has been trash for years, their entertainment value will be sorely missed. End of an era indeed.

The analysis on the show was terrible from the start but it was great tv. I remember LMAO with my dad watching Barkley kiss a donkey's butt on live tv.

Ernie is the ideal host at keeping a show moving. It looks easy but when you see how bad most ESPN folks are at this you realize it is essential and hard. Barkley was genuinely funny and charismatic and Kenny provided just enough analysis. It was great TV.

Nah the days of Chuck Daly being in studio were NOT bad with analysis...that was a few years ago though...plus 20 or something.

Chuck Daly is the forgotten great coach. I remember actually getting Derrick Coleman to try at basketball which in retrospect is one of the great acheivments in basketball history
Texas Chuck wrote:we watch super slow motion replay from 4 different angles and get angry if a ref missed something at full speed in real time . . . Newsflash to fans--it doesn't slow down matrix style for the refs as the game is going on
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,792

Post#47 » by tsherkin » Wed May 22, 2024 5:40 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:Chuck Daly is the forgotten great coach. I remember actually getting Derrick Coleman to try at basketball which in retrospect is one of the great acheivments in basketball history

This is a good point. Coleman was a lazy dude, for sure.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#48 » by dhsilv2 » Wed May 22, 2024 5:41 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:
The analysis on the show was terrible from the start but it was great tv. I remember LMAO with my dad watching Barkley kiss a donkey's butt on live tv.

Ernie is the ideal host at keeping a show moving. It looks easy but when you see how bad most ESPN folks are at this you realize it is essential and hard. Barkley was genuinely funny and charismatic and Kenny provided just enough analysis. It was great TV.

Nah the days of Chuck Daly being in studio were NOT bad with analysis...that was a few years ago though...plus 20 or something.

Chuck Daly is the forgotten great coach. I remember actually getting Derrick Coleman to try at basketball which in retrospect is one of the great acheivments in basketball history

He was madden like when he's break down x's and o's in a game....forgotten TV guy too.
CraftylikeaFox
Sixth Man
And1: 2,321

Post#49 » by CraftylikeaFox » Wed May 22, 2024 5:42 pm

mhd wrote:And yet, we're stuck with the horrendous NBA Countdown from ESPN. That show is unwatchable. Perk must pay them to be on the air instead of getting a paycheck.

Skip Bayless is the worst thing to ever happen to sports media. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have Perk, Nick Wright, and all these other hot take clowns.
Slimjimzv
Junior
And1: 464

Post#50 » by Slimjimzv » Wed May 22, 2024 5:42 pm

I miss listening to Dr. Jack Ramsey, and I still love listening to Hubie Brown. There was always great insight coming from those guys. Hopefully NBC zags away from all this 'take' media and goes with someone who will provide actual information. But I doubt it.
SkyHook
Analyst
And1: 2,024

Post#51 » by SkyHook » Wed May 22, 2024 5:43 pm

Good riddance.
I don't have faith in faith, I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless.
But I still cling to hope and I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me.

— Faithless by Rush (lyrics. Neil Peart)
Green89
RealGM
And1: 27,346

Post#52 » by Green89 » Wed May 22, 2024 5:53 pm

I'm only sad for one thing: that we have to endure 1 more year of the most uninteresting, unentertaining bunch of guys ever assembled to talk basketball. The show is worse than a basketball for Dummies. Kenny and EJ not as much, but Shaq and Chuck are outright horrendous.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,488

Post#53 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed May 22, 2024 5:53 pm

tsherkin wrote:
sp6r=underrated wrote:Chuck Daly is the forgotten great coach. I remember actually getting Derrick Coleman to try at basketball which in retrospect is one of the great acheivments in basketball history

This is a good point. Coleman was a lazy dude, for sure.

I remember Daly saying flatly Derrick's issue is he doesn't like basketball. And while I don't defend DC or Ben Simmons for not working hard I understand disliking basketball. I get it. If you are 6'10 you will get pushed into basketball even if you really dislike it. Again I don't like the loafing but it makes sense that a disproportionate amount of the famous lazy/resentful players are really tall.
Texas Chuck wrote:we watch super slow motion replay from 4 different angles and get angry if a ref missed something at full speed in real time . . . Newsflash to fans--it doesn't slow down matrix style for the refs as the game is going on
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,444

Post#54 » by Quattro » Wed May 22, 2024 5:55 pm

If there's one constant in pro sports today it's that the fans always come last.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,792

Post#55 » by tsherkin » Wed May 22, 2024 6:05 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:I remember Daly saying flatly Derrick's issue is he doesn't like basketball. And while I don't defend DC or Ben Simmons for not working hard I understand disliking basketball. I get it. If you are 6'10 you will get pushed into basketball even if you really dislike it. Again I don't like the loafing but it makes sense that a disproportionate amount of the famous lazy/resentful players are really tall.

It's so disappointing when someone has all the tools but can't summon the motivation to use them properly or otherwise honor them, whether or not they have a Magic-like joy in the sport.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,334

Post#56 » by duppyy » Wed May 22, 2024 6:09 pm

Green89 wrote:I'm only sad for one thing: that we have to endure 1 more year of the most uninteresting, unentertaining bunch of guys ever assembled to talk basketball. The show is worse than a basketball for Dummies. Kenny and EJ not as much, but Shaq and Chuck are outright horrendous.

Is someone pointing a gun to your head forcing you to endure Inside the NBA? You can just not watch the pre-game, half-time and post game stuff and not have to endure them at all.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,672

Post#57 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Wed May 22, 2024 6:13 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:Well NBC has a year to figure it out so let’s see what happens.

I get why some are annoyed by the show it isn’t basketball rich it is about personality. Those guys work well together. Hard to recreate. Aside from EJ who is a pro and maybe Charles who is an excellent gimmick guy, not sure Shaq or Kenny fit in any other crew

Kenny and EJ used to do the show by themselves with random 3rds added in before Chuck joined. Kenny would be fine. Shaq...he wont' work anywhere.

Nah the show wasn’t anything before Chuck. Kenny has always sucked.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 29,033

Post#58 » by HomoSapien » Wed May 22, 2024 6:15 pm

I like hating on Silver as much as anyone, but your anger should be directed at David Zaslav. He’s been ruining the entertainment industry and is a big reason for the Hollywood strike. This man is extremely hated.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#59 » by dhsilv2 » Wed May 22, 2024 6:16 pm

FluLikeSymptoms wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Nah the show wasn’t anything before Chuck. Kenny has always sucked.

The show was great before Chuck. Now it was better with him. But that show was always good. It used to just be more serious and you'd actually learn something. But that was great too. And early chuck actually knew things even!
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 19,818

Post#60 » by Slacktard » Wed May 22, 2024 6:16 pm

Last broadcast on TNT needs to have EJ walking out of an emptied studio like the Fresh Prince ending

Return to The General Board