Was Dwight Howard's "Superman" Dunk Really a Dunk?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Sebastian
Head Coach
And1: 853

Post#441 » by Sebastian » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:50 pm

Yes, it was a dunk, but it was made less awesome by the fact that Dwight came up short and couldn't make contact with the rim. Ironic that he couldn't fly far enough on the "Superman" dunk. That takes away a lot of its luster for me, personally.

His first and third dunks were much better.
mandurugo
Starter
And1: 231

Post#442 » by mandurugo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:15 pm

Not a dunk - not really that awesome to me either. I would say it didn't compare to his other two dunks. All said, the dunk contest is pretty boring these days, even as the guys get more athletic and the moves more impossible to duplicate. There is something about the way some of the guys can dunk in the flow of the game which is so amazing, in isolation of the contest it becomes meaningless. Shawn Kemp is a great example of a guy who couldn't do a decent dunk in a contest to save his life, but some of his game time moves blow away anything done in contests.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,595

Post#443 » by youngcrev » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:23 pm

MagicalMan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

see the first few pages for multiple definitions of a dunk. Dont start reading 20 pages in and expect someone to answer it for your lazy ass.

Or have I already read it, and there is no definition for what I was asking a link for?

be nice
-thief
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#444 » by theTHIEF » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:27 pm

well i have no qualms whatsoever about Dwight winning this year, to me he was head and shoulders (zing) above the other competition...his Superman dunk might or might not have been a "dunk", but his first and 3rd dunk were winners and he didnt do the same thing twice...the Superman dunk brought real excitement to the competition and thats what it's all about...

like the TNT crew said, anytime Kobe and other guys are standing and cheering for you, giving you an ovation, it's good...it's better than good...and how about David Stern standing and cheering? show me a clip of the last time he did that at a dunk contest...

not the best contest, but one of the best contestants...
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#445 » by youngcrev » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:27 pm

1st Down crew says it wasn't really a dunk :)

...though I don't know how I feel about agreeing with Skip
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#446 » by youngcrev » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:31 pm

thEthIEf wrote:well i have no qualms whatsoever about Dwight winning this year, to me he was head and shoulders (zing) above the other competition...his Superman dunk might or might not have been a "dunk", but his first and 3rd dunk were winners and he didnt do the same thing twice...the Superman dunk brought real excitement to the competition and thats what it's all about...

like the TNT crew said, anytime Kobe and other guys are standing and cheering for you, giving you an ovation, it's good...it's better than good...and how about David Stern standing and cheering? show me a clip of the last time he did that at a dunk contest...

I definitely agree with everything you said. This was the best dunk contest since Vince put on his show, and the guy that deserved to win, won.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#447 » by 5DOM » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:34 pm

dwight's superman dunk was, by definion, definitely a dunk.

just like keon clark one and some of kareem's skyhooks.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#448 » by 5DOM » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:37 pm

thEthIEf wrote:well i have no qualms whatsoever about Dwight winning this year, to me he was head and shoulders (zing) above the other competition...his Superman dunk might or might not have been a "dunk", but his first and 3rd dunk were winners and he didnt do the same thing twice...the Superman dunk brought real excitement to the competition and thats what it's all about...

just wait till lebron enters, hes going to DIE of happiness.
Meatcookie
Rookie
And1: 219

Post#449 » by Meatcookie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:41 pm

If the only force taking the ball from the height if its arch into the basket is gravity, then that is a shot.

If you supply extra downward force on the ball into the rim, I don't care if your hand touches the rim or not... it IS a DUNK.
IronChef
Head Coach
And1: 432

Post#450 » by IronChef » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:58 pm

Meh, I don't get the hype with the Superman thing, I thought it was reasonably lame. But, his other two dunks were awesome, so it doesn't really matter. He deserved to win.
Massimo wrote:Arsene wenger for the president.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#451 » by ATRAIN53 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:12 pm

i think it was a dunk, he shot/released the ball from above the rim.

Howard got robbed last year.

instead of pouting and not coming back for it this year-
he comes back even stronger and wins it. that is impressive.
he really wanted that trophy and he got it.

the question now is - can he top it NEXT YEAR?

and is Gerald Green really 6'8" as listed? he looks smaller.

Celtics/TWolves fans - what is the problem with him? How is this guy not a starter and featured piece of the puzzle? Looks to me like he scores when on the floor. Is he lazy? No Defense? Bad Attitude?
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#452 » by theTHIEF » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:18 pm

Dwight wont be back next year...
MagicFan3
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#453 » by MagicFan3 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:20 pm

thEthIEf wrote:Dwight wont be back next year...

Doesn't he have to defend the title?
wigglestrue
RealGM
And1: 170

Post#454 » by wigglestrue » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:26 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:
Celtics/TWolves fans - what is the problem with him? How is this guy not a starter and featured piece of the puzzle? Looks to me like he scores when on the floor. Is he lazy? No Defense? Bad Attitude?

Relatively poor understanding of the game, to be cured by experience. His attitude is great, but if anything he gets too down on himself over mistakes. He has the physical tools to be a good defender, but his BBIQ needs to catch up first. On offense, his first step is a little plodding, and telegraphed. He'll probably be an All-Star caliber player in 4-5 years.
0:01.8 A. Walker makes 3-pt shot from 28 ft (assist by E. Williams) +3 109-108
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_9qvmXiEuU
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#455 » by magicfan4life05 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:27 pm

thEthIEf wrote:Dwight wont be back next year...

where did you hear this from?
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#456 » by wetsthebed » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:35 pm

Dwight definitely deserved to win and get 50s on all his other dunks, but that was overrated. It really wasn't even a dunk.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,181
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#457 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:36 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:i think it was a dunk, he shot/released the ball from above the rim.

Howard got robbed last year.

instead of pouting and not coming back for it this year-
he comes back even stronger and wins it. that is impressive.
he really wanted that trophy and he got it.

the question now is - can he top it NEXT YEAR?

and is Gerald Green really 6'8" as listed? he looks smaller.

Well, Dwight measured in at 6'9 in shoes, but he was like a foot taller :lol:
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
The Letter J
Starter
And1: 0

Post#458 » by The Letter J » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:36 pm

magicfan4life05 wrote:where did you hear this from?

Dwight said it.
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#459 » by theTHIEF » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:36 pm

I didn't officially hear it from anywhere...but Dwight did allude to it himself...
The Letter J
Starter
And1: 0

Post#460 » by The Letter J » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:38 pm

You know what to settle this, it should just be called a "Superman".:)

Return to The General Board