Victor Wembanyama Mega-Thread - For all your Wembanyama needs!

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,302

Re: Victor Wembanyama Mega-Thread - For all your Wembanyama needs! 

Post#461 » by Edrees » Mon Dec 5, 2022 9:27 pm

Swish1906 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Is anyone else skeptical this string bean is gonna have a similar impact with the NBA big boys?

Probably just the people who thought that Luka is too slow and unathletic and won’t be able to do his thing against “NBA defenses” :lol:

Turns out that its Luka's opponents that look slow and unathletic after he's done with them :lol: Which I imagine will be the case for Wembanyama even after he enters the NBA
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,784

Post#462 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Dec 5, 2022 10:23 pm

Reminder that this kid has never lifted weights before and only just started recently. And there's still almost a full year before his first NBA game.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,292

Post#463 » by UcanUwill » Tue Dec 6, 2022 12:53 am

Swish1906 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Is anyone else skeptical this string bean is gonna have a similar impact with the NBA big boys?

Probably just the people who thought that Luka is too slow and unathletic and won’t be able to do his thing against “NBA defenses” :lol:

People who thought Zion would be bust. Like Russilo said, if you think Zion will be bust because of injuries, ok, but if you watch the guy and think his game won't translate, you are just an idiot. Wemby is even surer thing, if you actually not blind and able to see his play, and you think that won't translate, just stop with this whole basketball thing, cause man....
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#464 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Dec 6, 2022 1:10 am

To be fair Zion still hasn't passed the ultimate test, which is playing a playoff series against a smart coach and a good team game planning specifically to stop him. Bigger stars than Zion have failed that test a couple of times before they finally got over the hump. Regular season is one thing, but good teams don't really game plan in the regular season, they just try to get through it without injuries.
LamarMatic7
Hornets Forum High-End Journalist
And1: 2,351

Post#465 » by LamarMatic7 » Tue Dec 6, 2022 11:50 am

sfernald wrote:
LamarMatic7 wrote:
If the teams are close enough, the last week might turn into a circus. Given how Silver sort of warned everybody, I wonder whether somebody goes as far as topping moments like this one.

Read on Twitter

I expect it will! The greatest circus on earth is coming!

unfortunately (if we are talking comedy purposes), the past few years the way more popular approach has been signing no-name 10-day guys and giving them 40+ minutes.

but maybe I have actually missed out on something just because when someone like Daniel Oturu does it there isnt the name recognition.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#466 » by UcanUwill » Tue Dec 6, 2022 2:42 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:To be fair Zion still hasn't passed the ultimate test, which is playing a playoff series against a smart coach and a good team game planning specifically to stop him. Bigger stars than Zion have failed that test a couple of times before they finally got over the hump. Regular season is one thing, but good teams don't really game plan in the regular season, they just try to get through it without injuries.

But did you take those, ZIon wont be able to push his way around to the basket against ''NBA big boys'', takes seriously? because it was a thing. Zion was obviously NBA star material and so is Victor, the takes that he wont be able to do what he does against NBA bigs is just as lame as it was with Zion.
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#467 » by hardenASG13 » Tue Dec 6, 2022 4:39 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:To be fair Zion still hasn't passed the ultimate test, which is playing a playoff series against a smart coach and a good team game planning specifically to stop him. Bigger stars than Zion have failed that test a couple of times before they finally got over the hump. Regular season is one thing, but good teams don't really game plan in the regular season, they just try to get through it without injuries.

But did you take those, ZIon wont be able to push his way around to the basket against ''NBA big boys'', takes seriously? because it was a thing. Zion was obviously NBA star material and so is Victor, the takes that he wont be able to do what he does against NBA bigs is just as lame as it was with Zion.

Agreed. From what I've seen from Wembanyama his skinny frame shouldn't impact him much as his game isn't built on power. It's built on his agility, skill and length that is off the charts by NBA standards too. I see no reason to think he will face significant struggles when he enters the NBA. He will still be taller, longer, and more agile than players guarding him. The days where a tall guy has to play back to the basket on the block are long over.
bravor
Starter
And1: 748

Post#468 » by bravor » Tue Dec 6, 2022 8:46 pm

I've been saying this since a while, one of the big test of this early season will be against Monaco. They have good depth (even though Motiejunas won't be a major issue for him) in the frontcourt and some athletic bigs that will most likely try to keep him away from the rim. Defensively, Monaco's spacing is great generally so he might have to cover a lot of ground too.

Knowing he will pair with Pasecniks, so there might be some adjustments.

It should be a good game for him to monitor where he has to improve.

edit : speaking of adjustments, he lost with his team tonight with an 'average' stat line . i did not watch so cant tell anything else
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,351

Post#469 » by amcoolio » Tue Dec 6, 2022 9:48 pm

I'm not even going to get my hopes up. He's the ultimate lottery ticket of all lottery tickets.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#470 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Dec 6, 2022 10:14 pm

Yeah Monaco is probably top 5-6 team in Europe right now, they're playing well.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#471 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Dec 6, 2022 11:35 pm

UcanUwill wrote:But did you take those, ZIon wont be able to push his way around to the basket against ''NBA big boys'', takes seriously? because it was a thing. Zion was obviously NBA star material and so is Victor, the takes that he wont be able to do what he does against NBA bigs is just as lame as it was with Zion.

No, not at all, it was always obvious the guy would put up big stats in the regular season, and so will Victor.
I just always had (and still have) some reservations about Zion what happens in the playoffs when teams will focus specifically on his weaknesses for 7 games, because he does have a couple of weaknesses.

For Victor to be honest I can't find any weaknesses. Sure he's thin, but Jabbar and Giannis were also thin at that age. And you can never predict injuries for any player. But there's like a 90% chance that the guy will simply grow into his body a little more over the next few months and then start averaging something like 25/10/5 from the start for a very excited and very crappy NBA team.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,345

Post#472 » by sfernald » Wed Dec 7, 2022 4:03 pm

Here we are again, exactly where we were before but just a little bit later in the game...

Let's check the scoreboard:

To me, these six top teams are the only ones really relevant to this competition. They are the only ones with the heart to go all the way. In fact, I'm starting to see the top two separate themselves from the herd. It's like they are begging to be picked off by a hungry predator.

Magic have the least wins. Five is a very good number to have at this point. They are heading for less than 20 wins possibly which should assure them max odds. And since they are the Magic they are experts at drafting game-changing bigs with the first pick that eventually go on to win championships (for the lakers).

And Pop and the Spurs are no longer **** -ing around. They have a nice headwind being 0-10 in their last 10 games. I would love to be a fly on the wall in team practices as Pop reinforces playing NO DEFENSE WHATSOEVER and letting the opposing team score a layup drill every time down the floor. He really has his team well-practiced cause they never seem to fail. With Vassell leading the tank with his 30 pointless pts per game, I don't see how they ever lose (err, win) again.

With regard to the Pistons, I didn't realize Cade might be out for the rest of the season with his shin injury! I didn't even know you could be out that long for a shin injury! Wow. Creative Medical 101 is definitely part of the resume for success here, thank goodness.

Charlotte has a big decision to make with LeMelo coming back. Can they be bad enough with him to stay in this top six or should they just let him Netflix & chill with his bro in Chicago? I am betting on the latter. This is Charlotte's one chance to be RELEVANT in our collective lifetime (existence of life on earth as we know it), so don't **** blow it Michael.

And that's it for this week! Enjoy the now before the balls drop and destroy any hope we might have had!!
Frankie
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#473 » by Frankie » Wed Dec 7, 2022 4:45 pm

Yeah Houston might be dropping out of the Wemby sweepstakes. We had a tough schedule to start the season, which is beginning to ease up now so I can see us getting more and more wins compared to our tank rivals over the next two months.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,426

Post#474 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed Dec 7, 2022 9:17 pm

UcanUwill wrote:

People were saying it about Zion regarding division 1 basketball. I thought he'd have a good chance shoot over 70% on twos in division 1. I underestimated Zion to a large degree.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,297

Post#475 » by Old Man Game » Thu Dec 8, 2022 5:53 am

So disappointing to see the thunder not taking tanking seriously enough this year.
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,805

Post#476 » by Michael Jordan » Thu Dec 8, 2022 5:44 pm

It would be so fitting to see him on the Spurs - even if Pop doesn't actually coach next season.

Generational talents in Duncan and Kawhi have come to them every 10 years, feel like their turn is up now too.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#477 » by UcanUwill » Thu Dec 8, 2022 10:38 pm

Michael Jordan wrote:It would be so fitting to see him on the Spurs - even if Pop doesn't actually coach next season.

Generational talents in Duncan and Kawhi have come to them every 10 years, feel like their turn is up now too.

That would be more cool than him going to Orlando and being groomed into Lakers superstar I guess. :(
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,439

Post#478 » by Cavsfansince84 » Thu Dec 8, 2022 10:40 pm

The thing about him that impresses me the most right now is his ft shooting. Not only because its sort of rare for big men to shoot them well but there's also a correlation between that and 3 pt shooting. It makes me think he could be a legit 50/40/85 type guy in the nba.
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,446

Post#479 » by Gusto1903 » Fri Dec 9, 2022 12:19 pm

Old Man Game wrote:So disappointing to see the thunder not taking tanking seriously enough this year.

Theres still plenty of games to **** the bed, bro.
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,793

Post#480 » by bwgood77 » Fri Dec 9, 2022 5:12 pm

Gusto1903 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:So disappointing to see the thunder not taking tanking seriously enough this year.

Theres still plenty of games to **** the bed, bro.

They will probably finish 6th worst, maybe 7th. They are pretty good but the only teams really bad are the Magic, Pistons, Hornets, Spurs and Rockets.

Right now OKC is 8th worst but they are behind Chicago and LAL, both of whom don't own their picks, so have no reason to tank. OKC probably will at some point. They are tied with WAS and WAS could trade Kuzma and KP/Beal could get injured but I expect them to compete...they were 500 and in the mix recently.

Besides that you have MIA, NY, GS, Clips (who may have swap) and Minn (who doesn't own their pick), none of who will probably tank, at least hard enough to drop to 6th worst.

Even at 6th worst, they still have a 9% chance...not much worse than the 14% chance the worst team has.

Return to The General Board